Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Driver's side door rattle

Just a heads up.

Since new, my X3 had a very muted, but nonetheless annoying, rattle from the driver's door. Seemed to be coming from the door lock area, but try as I might I couldn't stop it.

Had it back in the garage to investigate, fortunately the chap heard it as well (I hate things like that because some mechanics make you feel like a nut job for bring such a thing to their attention).

Was in for a few hours on Friday, seemed to go away but came back. I found out that they "greased" the door seals, and with the problem not going away have now ordered a new part.

Looking on the web, looks like could be a common problem with BMW, anyone heard of such a thing?

Thx

john
Ads by Google
Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i & 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
Just a heads up.

Since new, my X3 had a very muted, but nonetheless annoying, rattle from the driver's door. Seemed to be coming from the door lock area, but try as I might I couldn't stop it.

Had it back in the garage to investigate, fortunately the chap heard it as well (I hate things like that because some mechanics make you feel like a nut job for bring such a thing to their attention).

Was in for a few hours on Friday, seemed to go away but came back. I found out that they "greased" the door seals, and with the problem not going away have now ordered a new part.

Looking on the web, looks like could be a common problem with BMW, anyone heard of such a thing?

Thx

john
I've noticed the same muted rattle on the front driver side AND the front passenger side. Rear doors do not rattle. I'm waiting to see if others notice the problem and if anyone has found and easy fix.

I've experimented somewhat and found when I place a slight pressure on the top inner portion of the window while closing the door, the rattle is not eliminated but reduced considerably. In my opinion, the sound is located inside the door panel so I doubt a new gasket your delaer is trying is the solution. But if it does, please post it here!

Anyone else hearing this rattle?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
I have it too, but not always, its intermittent. Took it to the dealership and the service guy could not replicate it.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
Are you sure it's not the side view mirror? Dealer to replace mine. Said it is an known issue.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:03 AM

Mine is going back in the garage. They ordered a new window guide seal (or something to that effect).

It's definitely not the wing mirror, I am anal about tracking noises down in order to replicate for engineers. I hate going to garage and them saying "can't find a problem". They don't have to drive it every day :-)

I dread to think the same problem in the passenger door, I'll have to get someone to drive it for me and check :-/

Stan - keep pestering them! Mine seems to get worse as I drive the car more (!?!). They'll probably first try to lubricate the seal (if it's the same problem) since they told me they have specific instructions from BMW not to replace the seal until they tried the lube!

John
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I have a rattle in the front passenger side. It appears to be either in the door or window. I only hear it when I drive over a bump in the road. I hate rattles also and will take it to the dealer. Our dealer has been very good at fixing rattles in our other BMWs.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i & 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
Are you sure it's not the side view mirror? Dealer to replace mine. Said it is an known issue.
Interesting you said the mirror. My wife and I went on trip this week and noticed the driver mirror jittering in the horizontal plane. Passenger door mirror is rock solid. I don't know if that's where the noise is coming from but it's a possibilitiy. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat7771 View Post
I have a rattle in the front passenger side. It appears to be either in the door or window. I only hear it when I drive over a bump in the road. I hate rattles also and will take it to the dealer. Our dealer has been very good at fixing rattles in our other BMWs.
been trying to get the dealer to fix this same exact issue for me...they cant replicate it or find it.....i only hear it on the freeway over road imperfections.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Solution?

I did a search on this, and also confirms what the dealership are saying.

It does appear indeed to be the window seal!!! Apparently, when they get dry they can make the most tremendous noise (which appears to be coming from elsewhere).

When they're wet this mutes the noise, and I also trying lubricating them - that works too (olive oil as a temporary try :-/

It's going back again, since I'm convinced one shouldn't have to do that to have a quiet door(s) ...

J
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
I have the same light rattle, I'll mention the window seal to the dealer when I take it in.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM

Solution?!?

So, my local dealer did contact BMW in zee Vaterland.

They said (in essence) you're screwed, replacing the seal won't cut it. They have some 'special' BMW cleaner and lubricant that will clean and then moisturise the seals to prevent the rattle (which is coming from the window ever so slightly moving against the inner window seal).

I can't wait to see how that goes ...

J