Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
Dealer repaired/ replaced the following today under warranty on my 08 535xi after diagnosing shorted/burned right taillamp assembly:

- new connector

- new carrier

- created ground

- replaced bulbs

no issues with driver side assembly as of now
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I am now joining this thread encountering the same problems. 08 528i no warranty left and three weeks ago one of the small bulbs burnt out and i received a quick message through iDrive. Went to the dealer paid $24 bucks and had it replaced.

The service guy warned me about this inherent problem with my model and said that if the bulb burns out again I would need to have the wire assembly replaced. Aprox $200 bucks.

Three weeks later that bulb is burnt out again, so I wanted to ask the question. If I were to replace the burnt out bulb and the matching one on the right side with LED bulbs that consume less power. Do you think that might avoid a further problem and save me from having to get the rewiring done?

As an FYI...
I wrote into BMW Canada complaining about this issue. This is clearly a defect and if it can affect the rear light cluster and potentially the brake lights it should be a recall. I don't have warranty left. No problems on my part paying for maintenance related issues...but this type of defect shouldn't happen on a car of this calibre. See how and if they respond.

Cheers
525i - sold
Jaguar X-Type - Sold
528i - Sold
535i M-Package Current
Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 AM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbcgy View Post
Do you think that might avoid a further problem and save me from having to get the rewiring done?

Cheers
No! Because the existing high resistance to ground (earth) issue is not fixed.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks...figures there is no cheaper option.

I got a reply from BMW Canada. No warranty...blah blah...won't do anything as I expected.
I guess they will wait for someone's brake lights to fail, cause a crash and then issue a recall.
525i - sold
Jaguar X-Type - Sold
528i - Sold
535i M-Package Current
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 520d 2009
Loose connection?

Hi,

Rear left tail light cluster on my 520d 2009 stops working altogether and then comes back on intermittently. This happens every 2-3 mins. When the cluster was totally blank, it just slapped lightly on it and it came back on for few mins before going blank again.

When the cluster goes blank, iDrive starts throwing error messages for rear left brake light, indicator, fog light and reverse light failure one by one.

Is this also a known problem?

Regards
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannit View Post
Hi,

Rear left tail light cluster on my 520d 2009 stops working altogether and then comes back on intermittently. This happens every 2-3 mins. When the cluster was totally blank, it just slapped lightly on it and it came back on for few mins before going blank again.

When the cluster goes blank, iDrive starts throwing error messages for rear left brake light, indicator, fog light and reverse light failure one by one.

Regards
This does sound like a loose connection. Have you tried pulling the light harness, making sure the bulbs and connections are secure? As soon as a bulb connection is lost, it will trigger the idrive alert.
525i - sold
Jaguar X-Type - Sold
528i - Sold
535i M-Package Current
Old 03-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Mein Auto: 2009 528i
I repaired mine a month ago...the Brown wire on the harness that plugs into the light assembly had overheated and melted the pin inside the housing. The brown wire is ground.

I cut off the brown wire from the harness and soldered a connector to it. Then I removed the brake housing and soldered a wire onto the grounding block inside of it (its pretty easy, the inside of the housing has a stamped piece of metal that runs ground to all the different light bulbs), ran that wire out thru the back of the housing thru a 1/8 drilled hole (the housing is NOT air tight, so this makes no difference) and soldered a connector to it to mate with the brown wire.

Shrink wrapped the 2 together.

Problem fixed. :-)

Quote:
Hi,

Regards
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Hi,

Regards
Same problem, different side... always the brown ground wire terminal.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 520d 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbcgy View Post
This does sound like a loose connection. Have you tried pulling the light harness, making sure the bulbs and connections are secure? As soon as a bulb connection is lost, it will trigger the idrive alert.
You were right! The wire connector was loose. I pulled out the connector and with the help of a small screw driver I narrowed the holes of female wire connector assuming that pins of male connector will sit firmly into it...and it worked!! It is not going blank on road bumps or any other jerk while driving.

I also checked other connections and ground and nothing was burnt out fortunately. I think that would happen only when ground is bit loose and thus causing high resistance around the loose connection which will eventually heat up that area of loose connection.

Only problem I faced was opening the plastic cover over the tail light housing. It was damn difficult and at one point I thought it will break because I had to apply so much of force. That did not happen of course.

Thanks all for your help
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

LOL - Always the Brown Wire...true true!

And the pins can get loose and go bad quick too...mine was fine, never a flicker, and whatever happened was very quick, within 3 days an intermittent flicker went to full-out failure. ( -its a design issue & BMW knows about it)

I have a hunch that the brown wires needed to be a tad bigger gauge to handle the current of all the lights in the assembly, and probably a double ground would have been good to keep the actual pin from heating up...my brown wire was actually fried for about 1 inch outside the harness plug, and the female pin was the color of burned metal in a campfire, and the male pin inside the housing was completely gone - melted.

In any event, there are a number of relatively easy fixes for it for those who are not afraid to get their hands a little dirty...besides, we get to learn a little bit here and there about a pretty complex driving machine :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
Same problem, different side... always the brown ground wire terminal.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Turbos!!!!!!

Thank you everyone who'e threaded this water before me. I've been fighting this taillight off and on for the past 6 months. Know I have an idea how to fix it myself without worrying about the dealer.This had been getting pretty annoying.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

The brown wire BMW uses on the harness is too small gauge for the amount of lights in the assembly, gets hot at the connector and melts it. Hopefully yours only melted that pin and not the others.

Its a fairly simply fix, looks worse than it is when you see the destroyed pins and connector harness, but when I ran the new wire directly onto the grounding plate inside the light assembly, it was easy. I simply cut the brown wire off before the harness and ran a larger wire thru a small hole in the assembly. I can still disconnect it with the male/female plug I used.

Took me 1 hour is all. The assembly comes out pretty easy, and the back unscrews off to get inside the assembly.

Been fine since :-) Beats a $500 assembly that is otherwise perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsharklager View Post
Thank you everyone who'e threaded this water before me. I've been fighting this taillight off and on for the past 6 months. Know I have an idea how to fix it myself without worrying about the dealer.This had been getting pretty annoying.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Here are some pics of the burned-out ground wire to the pass side rear tail-light, the burned plug, as well as the final fix showing my added white ground wire going into the rear light assembly thru its housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202_095833.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	392382   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202_095804.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	392383   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202_114017.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	392384  
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona-dave View Post
Here are some pics of the burned-out ground wire to the pass side rear tail-light, the burned plug, as well as the final fix showing my added white ground wire going into the rear light assembly thru its housing.
BMWNA needs to recall this plugs, that is rather scarry.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Its VERY scary...its a fire hazard, and this is next to the battery.

Basic electric design 101 - ground wire carries all the current from hot wires. 6 hot wires in, means a larger ground wire is required or multiple grounds...however they made this ground wire the same size as one of the 6 wires in....OUCH!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Turbos!!!!!!

Got mine fixed! Mine had melted the pins so I had to purchase a new carrier. Spliced a larger ground in, and screwed it to the new carrier via a grounding bolt. And it all works!

Damn Missouri Hi-Po on the other hand are jerks and when I tried to explain the issue to the officer (day after I ordered the carrier got pulled over for it) he just said I shouldn't have purchased such an expensive unreliable car and wrote me a ticket because I "knew my tail light was out yet I still chose to continue to drive the vehicle". I hate officers, sorry to any of you that may be one on this site, but I've yet to meet one in person who I like or didn't think was a complete D-bag. Personal experience.

Thanks to the guys who pointed me to this fix!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

melted like this? hehe

The pin inside the carrier was completely melted and gone away, I scrapped it and cleaned it, and then ran the ground around it, keeping the original harness and plug. same concept.

Highway Patrol out here in AZ are usually pretty cool, 99% chance they would have told you to get it fixed, and be on your way, they go for big fish here in the desert...even on speeding your more likely to get a warning than a ticket unless your doing over 85 or being a jerk to them.

Officers up in Oregon however...NOT so cool...Ive actually gotten speeding ticket for 57 in a 55...NO SH***...really. Went to court, and they stuck it to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202_100529.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	392445   Click image for larger version

Name:	carrier-2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	392446  
Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005, 530i
Same issue here on the right side assembly on a 05 530i. Did almost exactly what Arizona-Dave did. Took about 20 minutes for the fix.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Right tail lamp malfunction

I think I'm having this same issue. This morning for the first time I got an error message that my rear reverse light was out. I then got a message that my right rear turn signal light is out. After about 5 minuets both errors cleared and there have been no problems since. I did also notice that one of my right rear bulbs is out. It's the one that lights up when you first unlock the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-13-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edes300 View Post
I think I'm having this same issue. This morning for the first time I got an error message that my rear reverse light was out. I then got a message that my right rear turn signal light is out. After about 5 minuets both errors cleared and there have been no problems since. I did also notice that one of my right rear bulbs is out. It's the one that lights up when you first unlock the car.

That's it, if all rear lights are gone.

The good thing I checked the left-side and it's OK, so it is recall material for sure cause it specific to one defective part which is the right-rear lamp holder (the connection is loose over time generating heat then melts the male connector). The good thing again, once this happens no more heat cause the whole rear-lights are not on anymore.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM

Is there any recall on this or extended warranty. I'm out of warranty otherwise.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Is there any recall on this or extended warranty. I'm out of warranty otherwise.

I am afraid not, though IMHO it should be a recall.

Like everyone else here, can't wait for recall so I just solder 14-ga wire with thick insulation to the ground section of lamp holder and splice the old brown ground wire to it.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM

I'm a little confused where to you attach the new growing wire to the car body somewhere?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Most of us just spliced new ground wire to old brown wire.

The new wire solders to the Inside of the tail light housing, not to the car body.

I still think the brown wire should be sized larger, but running new grounds to body introduces surfaces for rust to start, so thats why just used old brown wire, cut it, splice it to new wire bypassing the plug for the brown wire only.

Quote:
I'm a little confused where to you attach the new growing wire to the car body somewhere?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Just look at Arizona-Dave post #38 on this thread, picture #3 (far-right).

Just make sure you solder the end of that brown-ground extension wire (in Arizona-Dave case it's the white wire) to the ground circuit inside the lamp holder. I double checked that many-many times to be sure.