Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Right tail lamp malfunction

I just got home and checked this thing. As you can see from the picture I'm too late. I think I'll need a new harness. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379107964.023634.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	396673

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 PM

I spliced a new wire into the brown one. I then drilled a small hole into the headlight assembly and attached the new ground wire there. Everything seems to be working back to normal. Took about 30 min and cost 10.00 in materials. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379271809.927988.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	397033Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379271818.967384.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	397034

Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Mein Auto: 2009 528i
Yep, soldered to the ground chasis inside the lamp fixture. I used a thicker white wire because I was considering using a larger wire to ground, but its been fine ever since, and its hidden. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Just look at Arizona-Dave post #38 on this thread, picture #3 (far-right).

Just make sure you solder the end of that brown-ground extension wire (in Arizona-Dave case it's the white wire) to the ground circuit inside the lamp holder. I double checked that many-many times to be sure.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i xDrive
Quote:
That's it, if all rear lights are gone.

The good thing I checked the left-side and it's OK, so it is recall material for sure cause it specific to one defective part which is the right-rear lamp holder (the connection is loose over time generating heat then melts the male connector). The good thing again, once this happens no more heat cause the whole rear-lights are not on anymore.
I have the same melted connector, but on the drivers side in the rear.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Yeah - im wondering how long until the drivers side on mine does same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Image2Pixel View Post
I have the same melted connector, but on the drivers side in
the rear.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Makes you wonder how these cars will do when they have 15 plus years on them. How many previous generation 5 series do you still see around. Not many in my area at least.

It's a real shame that the electronics in a old carolla are more stable then these cars.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

I think given these types of issues, we already, unfortunately, know the answer.

Cars, from all makes and brands, are being more and more built and designed to be "throw-away" vehicles.

They wont be making the controller modules for AC, iDrive, etc in 10 yrs for these cars...when those things stop working, you throw the car away...there just wont be too many "classic" cars in the future from this era.

It ensures the car mfgrs will be able to have new buyers down the road. Failure by design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edes300 View Post
Makes you wonder how these cars will do when they have 15 plus years on them. How many previous generation 5 series do you still see around. Not many in my area at least.

It's a real shame that the electronics in a old carolla are more stable then these cars.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 323i
The outside light malfunction icon came on in my 2011 323i last week....when I did a walk around the vehicle and did a light check all lights were on.
At the dealer it was checked out and 4 bulbs had to be replaced in the brake light cluster.....one was burned out and 3 were nearly burned out...It created a current surge triggering the malfunction light ...once the bulbs were replaced the dash icon went out....The service person told me that the system will detect an imminent bulb failure.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

not to be cynical here, but how are burned out bulbs related to this thread concerning literally burned-up wire harnesses requiring actual re-wiring repairs?

Six (6) +12 Volt wires in...one ground wire out. (bad idea)

Electrical engineering 101 - Ground is the MOST important part of any circuit, and ground must be sized properly to sufficiently handle the current through ALL circuits that consume power through that ground.

the problems listed in the thread are not related at all to burned out or soon-to-be burned out bulbs...
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE: I SAW ON THE NEWS YESTERDAY THAT BMW HAS A RECALL CONCERNING OUR REAR TAIL-LIGHT ISSUE. ITS AFFECTED SEVERAL "MILLION" 5 SERIES IN OUR YEAR RANGE!!!! AND A FEW OTHER MODELS.

Not sure If im gunna take mine in, to be honest, but may do it to see if there are other recall or update things to be done.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
This is true!!!

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/recalls/
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

So....survey: How many of us, who have already fixed this problem, Plan to go in to a dealer to have it re-fixed?

Me personally....Im Split on the issue...BMW wasnt fixing this until just now...so we were all basically getting the Finger. Do we want to have them now have a reason to say we did something "wrong" and not it on the car record...?? And do we want to trust the dealer to splice in a new connector without introducing new problems? (in other words "fix something that aint broke no more")

Im very curious what others are contemplating on this one.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Nobody hates anyone working on my cars (or anything) more than me, however when there is an incompleted recall, you take all responsibility on yourself.

If your car catches fire they will blame YOU!
Also these cars are difficult to sell without a full service record which includes completed recalls. luckily I have not had this issue (yet) and I will have them do what they suggest.

Also you are always complaining that BMW doesn't recall so many things, and when they finally do , you dont want to have them make repairs.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

The recall a known issue years after its known...After me, and many other have had to take time and resources to fix it = Valid Complaint.

On the other hand...usually its only BMW's with low mileage and high values that need full record to be re-sold. I drive my cars until they are done...as in 200,000+ miles...anyone wanting service records for a car with that many miles is off their rocker.

As for a fire...well, it already melted the harness and didnt start a fire, which is why I re-ran a thicker gauge wire, so it wont heat up, which is presumably what BWM's fix also is.

I may still do it...but it will simply be out of spite really...not because I need it anymore.

Just MHO :-)

If they would fix the damned AC delay I would readily go in for the repair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
Nobody hates anyone working on my cars (or anything) more than me, however when there is an incompleted recall, you take all responsibility on yourself.

If your car catches fire they will blame YOU!
Also these cars are difficult to sell without a full service record which includes completed recalls. luckily I have not had this issue (yet) and I will have them do what they suggest.

Also you are always complaining that BMW doesn't recall so many things, and when they finally do , you dont want to have them make repairs.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

I would add that BMW was incompetent in their design...to a very large degree, those of us with the skills, tools and know-how to properly fix the issue (which ultimately was an improperly sized ground circuit) are not incompetent, and Im more worried of the other circuits that may not have stated failing yet that are also improperly desgined by BMW, than I am of the fixes we have done.

Considerably so.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=arizona-dave;7857807]

Relax -

My reply was a generality which may be toward many others in different categories.
YES I am in the same boat of disappointment. BMW hypes that they spend months to get the noises just right or the wind tunnel testing just perfect then they are made in sparkling clean factories by PHDs in Physics and they are coddled and polished etc.

Then you drive it gently on normal roads and the whole thing falls apart and they charge you $140/hr to fix their screw ups. AND another 5 hours to reprogram and $500 for a #&%# battery.

NOW I am noticing how "old" the e60 is starting to look - actually frumpy - but thats the way it goes.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Turbos!!!!!!

Mein Auto: 535xi
I want them to pay my tickets and fines I received for having a taillight out. Doubt it will happen. I already fixed it. So no trip in for me.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Turbos!!!!!!

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlou View Post
NOW I am noticing how "old" the e60 is starting to look - actually frumpy - but thats the way it goes.
What? A car designed in 2004? Old? Please....
Think how the guys driving e34 and e39s feel. Although their cars are not weighted down with extra electronics..... Nevermind.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Im relaxed....but now Ive noticed the weather stripping on the windshield and rear window is deteriorating badly...BADLY. My 1998 Lexus with 265K miles is just barely beginning to show signs of age on its weather stripping. The piece at the bottom of the windshield is crumbling...the one along the top smears into what can only be described as a "tar-like/melted rubber" goo...

Well the wife wanted to switch from L to B...Im just hoping its not that bad of a decision overall...

Crap, did I just Bomb this thread? My apologies.

Back on track...Im not really keen on having the battery disconnected and everything re-done...who knows what kinds of glitches could pop up...for me, I probably wont take it in for this recall.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
this is what I believe occurs:
the wire size is fine for ground, it uses 14Ga which ample to delivers total current; the problem is the connection betwen the female-spade (on the connector) to the male-spade (part of the lamp holder) is rather poor and gets worse overtime from vibration etc. This increase the resistance, with LCM(light-control-module) driven by power-FET it can by design sinks more current to deliver nominal-constant voltage across light bulb, unlike the ole relay design that delivers constant current.

Now, I am torn about the recall, cause even though I fixed the ground side issue, what if the other (not the ground) male-to-female connection develop slack and increase it's resistance over time. I'd like to see a newer better connection that this recall (I assume) offers.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

The wire itself can handle the current, the problem is that its pulling the current for the other 5 wires...5 into 1, all same size = an imbalance.

None of the other spade pins fail...only the ground, and thats because it heats up. The wire itself heats up as well, mine was visually "burnt" and the insulation hardened and brittle for about 1 inch from the harness.

The reason it heats up at the pin is the same reason why the plug of toaster ovens get hot at the plug, but the wire remains much cooler - that junction has a slightly higher resistance than the continuous wire and when that single junction tries to drain 4 or 5 wires of electricity thru the single pin and single wire sizes the same as the others it heats up and the wire heats up.

I think its poorly designed on several levels. On almost all most cars, you will have a ground wire to each brake lightbulb, turn bulb etc...this one they try to do one wire, sized the same as the others, and its a very very bad idea.

Quote:
this is what I believe occurs:
the wire size is fine for ground, it uses 14Ga which ample to delivers total current; the problem is the connection betwen the female-spade (on the connector) to the male-spade (part of the lamp holder) is rather poor and gets worse overtime from vibration etc. This increase the resistance, with LCM(light-control-module) driven by power-FET it can by design sinks more current to deliver nominal-constant voltage across light bulb, unlike the ole relay design that delivers constant current.

Now, I am torn about the recall, cause even though I fixed the ground side issue, what if the other (not the ground) male-to-female connection develop slack and increase it's resistance over time. I'd like to see a newer better connection that this recall (I assume) offers.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:36 AM

I seem to agree that the root issue MAY be the with the actual (spade) connector.
It is located in the trunk which tends to be damp. I bet a little bit of conductive grease (when new) would have been a better solution. This is usually what is used on some computer connections especially in the engine compartnent.

Also I read in these threads that some are having similar issues with the headlights????

On the bench it may be good, but in actual use it fails.
It looks like BMW doesnt take into account regional climate conditions.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Again, the only one of 6 spade connectors that failed, was the single connector carrying the entire current load of the other wires.

A typical brake light alone consumes about 2.5 to 3 amps...turn signal, same...reverse...same. Parking about half.

2.5+2.5+2.5+1.25 = 8.75 amps at minimum while brake lights and turn signal and in reverse...this is too much current for a single 14 gauge wire on a long term basis.

All of the other spade pins were perfectly fine.

What I find more curious is why it happens predominantly to the rear right and not left...I didnt take the laft one apart yet...but now I want to.

Im not saying the spade connectors are "bad", but im stressing the point all electrical circuits need to have proper grounds...anyone who does any type of electrical wiring/design will always size and design the ground to be able to more than handle the current of all positive loads...in this case, they failed on both wire and pin design.

In other words, had there been multiple grounding spade pins, this wouldnt have happened...or at least not as fast.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i Monaco Blue
Re: Right tail lamp malfunction

New recall just out for the taillights.

Sent from my PC36100 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Its a "Dry" Heat

Yep...thats what weve been discussing past few days.

Wondering how many of us who already fixed the problem will take it in for a "professional" repair...hehe

Im on the fence...and being that I generally dont like dealers and have lots of other things id rather be doing...i probably just wont get around to doing it. My heavy gage white wire seems to be working just fine for the past 4-5 months....or however long its been.