Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Windshield wiper fluid leak

So I have a leak in my windshield wiper line, that appears to be coming from under the resevoir from a line to the right of the resevoir. Has anyone encountered this and have tips for removing the resevoir and fixing/troubleshooting this?
Ads by Google
Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
Windshield Wiper Fluid Leak

Hello,

I just had to have the windshield wiper fluid pump replaced in my 2006 X3 because the wiper fluid was leaking. I bought an extended warranty which covered the work but I think the service tech said that it costs about $129 (not sure if that is part and labor or just part cost). A friend tried to diagnose the problem for me and removed the reservoir but we didn't see any cracks or leaks in the tank itself.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
There have been a few similar stories reported lately:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=435377

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=539128

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=525327

It appears that pumps that otherwise work fine can develop a leak that gives the false appearance of the tank itself leaking.

A quote of $129 must have been for 0.5 hr. labor and $50 pump.

Sounds like you don't need to remove the reservoir to replace a pump,
but if you do, consider it good practice for when you need to do that to replace a passenger side headlight bulb.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
You can buy the pump at the dealer for approx. $50.It takes about 5 min.to replace.
I did mine last year as it was leaking like yours.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: '07 X3
I just replaced a leaky wiper pump in my car (#4 in the diagram, part #67128362154). Got a 3rd party pump for $13 from pelicanparts.com, easy fix - replaced myself, no problems since. If your leak is at the pump you can follow my steps below...if it's from a hose then I can't help you.

For me, it was easy to source the leak because one pump was dripping and the other was dry. There are also rubber washers that the pump sits on which I thought was bad at first, but the black rubber didn't rub off on my finger so it was ok.

you can swap the pump with the reservoir in, but it needs to be empty of wiper fluid. if you remove the pump with fluid still in there then it's going to spill out.

my reservoir was full and I had no clue how to siphon it out, so i went at it full. I just unscrewed the bolt #6 and unclipped plug #2. From there you can lift the entire reservoir out with the two pumps still in. Have a bucket ready because once you remove the pumps, the wiper fluid will start coming out...you just twist/gently pull the pump out and quickly move the reservoir into the bucket and let it drain out. once that is out you can go back and unclip the pump from it's wiring/hose. swap the pumps and reinstall everything. I used some silicone grease to help seal up the rubber grommet too just in case.

once the reservoir is back in, you should test it out by filling it with a bit of wiper fluid to check for any leaks and then run the wipers for the front and back the pumps are working and not leaking either.

Last edited by boarderx3; 09-29-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Just replaced one of my pumps this week. Very easy. About $50 for the pump. One screw to remove the reservoir and just pull the hose off the pump and the pump slides off the tank. Don't spend $100 to get this replaced.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to BigShark
Mein Auto: X3si Sport
I am having a similar issue. The washer fluid was leaking out. I replaced the gromets (part 5) but this did not stop the leak as it seems to be coming from the hoses as they connect into the pumps. I pushed it on rather tight and this seems to have stopped the leak, but my Headlight spayers are not working, thus I think the pump it out. I am thinking of changing both pumps jsut to be sure. Thus, I am going to order 2 x of these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-M-X-Z-...8c9762&vxp=mtr

Anyone have a tip for securing the tubes to the pumps if they end of the pums have gotten old and no longer make a secure seal?

Would you advise to replacing Both pumps?

TL
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Do a search. If you get the OEM pump from E bay ,like I did, $10.49 shipping included, make sure you get the right electric connection . They come in flat or round connectors. Take a look at the pump your replacing and you can tell what one you need. Probably one of the easiest fixes on a BMW Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Just FYI on my experience with this. My wife's 2006 X3 washer fluid leaked out within a week of being filled and i noticed the leaking coming from the pump closest to the engine which feeds the windshield sprayers. I ordered a new OEM pump and grommet/strainer and replaced easily in 15 minutes. Here is a little guide i put together on the process, hope it helps someone as this problem seem pretty prevalent in these cars:

Instructions on Replacing BMW X3 Washer Pump
Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 AM

So I have a question. I've changed all three pumps and the work great. My problem is the end on the fluid line, which connects to the pump is worn out. It will not make a strong, solid seal with the pump once popped on. How do I change / fix that???
Old 10-08-2012, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShark View Post
So I have a question. I've changed all three pumps and the work great. My problem is the end on the fluid line, which connects to the pump is worn out. It will not make a strong, solid seal with the pump once popped on. How do I change / fix that???
Hose clamp?

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 4.8 is X5
Unhappy Windshield Reservior Area Leak

Hey, My 2005 X5 just started leaking last week. I filled the reservoir 2 weeks ago, & it was empty 1 week later too. Well, after reading this forum, I guess I will attempt to do it myself. Thanks for the info guys...
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Hose clamp?
I have tried a hose clamp but nothing is small enough to go around it. I have tried teflon tape around the "nipple" of the pump to give it some bulk. I have tried hot glue (which I chose as it would be easier to remove, rather then glueing it on permantely). I have tried a twist tie. I tried the BWM Dealer, but they could not find the part. i am at a loss. Any recomendations? Has anyone seen this before. where the fitting will not stay securely to the pump?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: X3
What you need is a new washer pump and strainer:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...36&hg=61&fg=45

Parts 4 and 5.