Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39
Which way do you turn the oil filter?

I'm changing the oil right now, and I'm having an awfully hard time to get the oil filter cover off. Stupid question: do you turn it counter clockwise or clockwise?
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2004, 06:02 PM
blah

Mein Auto: 03 330i
Counter clockwise. Same as a normall jar lid.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:14 PM

Thanks. I still can't get it off though... I'm pulling and pushing the ratchet... it's not getting loose. The oil was last changed by the dealer 6,000 miles ago, and it's so tight! Any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM

Hm, we drained the oil before attempting to pry the filter off. Do you think it'll be easier if we took care of the filter first before draining?
Old 04-05-2004, 06:51 PM
blah

Mein Auto: 03 330i
Hmmmm. Not sure. Turn harder? Use a longer wrench?

I vaguely remember mine being tight, but I was able to open it without fear of breaking anything.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by emPoWaH
Hm, we drained the oil before attempting to pry the filter off. Do you think it'll be easier if we took care of the filter first before draining?
Look I am not trying to be funny but you are not tring to pry the filter off, right? It should come off like rumratt said, like a jar lid.

I just did mine this past weekend and I used the 36 mm socket on a 1/2 drive beam torque wrench. This was first change from factory, so YMMV...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
Look I am not trying to be funny but you are not tring to pry the filter off, right? It should come off like rumratt said, like a jar lid.

I just did mine this past weekend and I used the 36 mm socket on a 1/2 drive beam torque wrench. This was first change from factory, so YMMV...
Heh, yep, I'm turning it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-901S.JPG
Views:	811
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	28484  
Old 04-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Heh, yep, I'm turning it:
Nice wrench - Snapon?

Think you need more twist? Get a longer socket wrench or put a pipe on the end?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:53 PM

I got it! In desperation, I decided to have a mechanic take care of the filter and to fill the engine with some oil again so that it's drivable. As I opened the oil filler cap, I felt like trying just once more, and it worked -- it came loose! That must have been the trick. My first BMW oil change is done and I swear it feels smoother.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:56 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
1) MOST bolts/nuts are Righty tighty, lefty loosy. CW to tighten, CCW to loosen.

2) You should NOT use your torque wrencht o remove bolts/nuts. Only for final tightening to the proper torque. Other use may damage the torque and cause inaccurate readings.

3) Always remove the filter beofre or during draining. BMW nicely made it so, when you remove the cap, the excess oil drain back into the pan, making the filter change much less messy. I remove the cap, then set up the extractor, then remove and replace the filter while the oil is draining. That gets most of the oil out of the filter first.

4) There is an O ring under the cap, so it may be harder to get off than normal.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 04-06-2004, 01:11 PM
...worked on the railroad

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
I just changed Karl Bimmer's oil this past Saturday (4/3/2004); I followed the procedure for the Oil Extractor (MityVac is in the house! ) from www.bmw325i.net - there's pictures and everything.

I confess that I had a hard time getting the oil cap off, because Crevier doubtless thought they were sealing nuclear waste in the chamber - I did have to call upon some testicular help (hey, guys are stronger - and even he had a hard time!

Basically, you remove the dipstick, putting it in a clean place, loosen but don't remove the oil cap, assemble the MityVac, put the hose where the dipstick goes, a few pumps, the oil starts flowing into the vacuum chamber.

While this is going on - you change the oil filter - As to the rubber ring - I use the little Phillips screwdriver from the Bimmer Tool Kit, find the litte hole on the top, gently slide it under, and it comes right off!

I must be strange - I really like changing the oil (and it's only the second time in my life that I ever did it! )
Old 04-06-2004, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: '08 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_for_mom
I just changed Karl Bimmer's oil this past Saturday (4/3/2004); I followed the procedure for the Oil Extractor (MityVac is in the house! ) from www.bmw325i.net - there's pictures and everything.

I confess that I had a hard time getting the oil cap off, because Crevier doubtless thought they were sealing nuclear waste in the chamber - I did have to call upon some testicular help (hey, guys are stronger - and even he had a hard time!

Basically, you remove the dipstick, putting it in a clean place, loosen but don't remove the oil cap, assemble the MityVac, put the hose where the dipstick goes, a few pumps, the oil starts flowing into the vacuum chamber.

While this is going on - you change the oil filter - As to the rubber ring - I use the little Phillips screwdriver from the Bimmer Tool Kit, find the litte hole on the top, gently slide it under, and it comes right off!

I must be strange - I really like changing the oil (and it's only the second time in my life that I ever did it! )

Lots of us like changing the oil. Especially when the filter is up close and personal like this. It's not so much fun when the filter is screwed into the side of the block at a 90 degree angle - designed to leak. But in general, it's easy to do, it gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and it's really, really tough to screw up.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:13 PM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
Lots of us like changing the oil. Especially when the filter is up close and personal like this. It's not so much fun when the filter is screwed into the side of the block at a 90 degree angle - designed to leak. But in general, it's easy to do, it gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and it's really, really tough to screw up.
Or worse. On our '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee the filter is the front of the block, but underneath. You have to get under the car, reach up through a small opening and unsrew it. Of course, the oil pours down your arm when you get it off. And you have to tilt it to get it out.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 04-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
Quote:
Hope you're not while changing the oil

Old 04-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Or worse. On our '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee the filter is the front of the block, but underneath. You have to get under the car, reach up through a small opening and unsrew it. Of course, the oil pours down your arm when you get it off. And you have to tilt it to get it out.
Or worse! On the Mini the filter is inside a cannister which is held on the oil way by a through bolt -- You undo the bolt with a 7/16" socket and (of course) all the oil dribbles down your arm/hand as you remove the assembly. Then you replace the filter cartridge, bolt, washers, etc and pour in a couple ounces of oil into it. As you manoeuvre it into place, the bolt will slip out of the housing at least once, causing all the new oil to run out. I believe my record is twice (about 10 changes ago.) Did it about 6 months ago and managed to keep reasonably clean.

I am really looking forward to using the Mityvac on the Mini shortly, it rocks

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I got it! In desperation, I decided to have a mechanic take care of the filter and to fill the engine with some oil again so that it's drivable. As I opened the oil filler cap, I felt like trying just once more, and it worked -- it came loose! That must have been the trick. My first BMW oil change is done and I swear it feels smoother.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Woohoo!!!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 honda prelude
Quote:

Is the direction good for all BMWs like E36 and E46 models ?
Old 04-07-2004, 05:42 PM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb
Is the direction good for all BMWs like E36 and E46 models ?
Pretty much.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 04-07-2004, 05:44 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention -- we did use the Mityvac as opposed to the conventional gravity drain method.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:56 AM
Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 330ci/5spd/SSK/UUC/Shark
I can't believe some one actually asked which way to turn the filter to release
Old 04-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Mein Auto: Ford Tempo GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABS
I can't believe some one actually asked which way to turn the filter to release
Oh c'mon, he just didn't want to break his car. At least he's trying to change his own oil
Old 05-14-2004, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to bbh03
Mein Auto: 2002 M5
Quote:
I am able to reach down from the hood on my Jeep. What year is yours?
Old 05-14-2004, 05:56 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
3) Always remove the filter beofre or during draining. BMW nicely made it so, when you remove the cap, the excess oil drain back into the pan, making the filter change much less messy. I remove the cap, then set up the extractor, then remove and replace the filter while the oil is draining. That gets most of the oil out of the filter first.
The one time that I tried removing the canister top first, I got a gush of oil that ran down the sides of the canister on to the engine (or whatever else is down there). Yuck! And the car had been sitting for a while to let the oil drain down in to the pan.

I now start sucking with MightyVac first, and a little while later I start loosen the top of the canister. Much less messy!

Old 05-17-2004, 04:18 PM
M Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbh03
I am able to reach down from the hood on my Jeep. What year is yours?
"Or worse. On our '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee"

Maybe an '01?

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 07-20-2009, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745I
stupid poeple

on my wifes 330ci the oil filter cap is stripped and rounded and any other screwed up way you can think of. I have tried to get it off with any tool I can think of to no avail. is there any way that i can get this off with out braking it off. if I do have to brake it off how much will a new one cost.

thanks for all your help