Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Acura RL
F10 idiosyncrasies and problems

Still considering a 535xi as replacement for my RL. Thought it would be interesting to hear from owners their thought on BMW "uniqueness" and problems.
From my brief test drive, in no particular order:
1) pull inside handle 2x to exit
2) central door lock button on dash
3) gear selector: up for R, push button for park, up for downshift in sport mode, park button on top can accidentally be pressed while at speed (lockout?) shifter totally electric so unable to put in N if loose power
4) idrive for radio, no easy way to switch between FM, Sirius, etc
5) packages
Issues:
1) 19" tires
2) multiple fault codes: transmission, suspension (ARS), etc
3) Long term reliability and repeated inconvenient warranty issues

Still think it is a great car, but hesitant to make the jump after years of Acura reliability
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
Still considering a 535xi as replacement for my RL. Thought it would be interesting to hear from owners their thought on BMW "uniqueness" and problems.
Keep the doors unlocked and it's only one pull. Nice safety feature, I think.
I would have preferred it on the door next to the window buttons but hey, not really a biggie.
3) gear selector: up for R, push button for park, up for downshift in sport mode, park button on top can accidentally be pressed while at speed (lockout?) shifter totally electric so unable to put in N if loose power
Non issues. I came from a 2009 Acura TL (great car) and after 1700 miles it's entirely second nature to me. I posed the same Q re: the "P" button and many said it does nothing if pressed at over 2 mph. I haven't had the guts to test that assertion out. (lol)
The things that look like radio preset buttons can actually be set for anything you'd like so you can program button 1 to be Sirius, #2 for FM, etc. Amazingly ingenious.
5) packages
Let's you option the car just the way you like it. Not a "check one box and everything comes with it" kind of thing like the "Technology package" on the TL. Affords much more flexibility and control for the purchaser.
Issues:
1) 19" tires
STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!!! If you order any of the sport packages, insist the dealer swap out the 19" rims with 18" rims. If you do this you'll be fine 1700 miles on NYC streets and no bubbles here (18" rims with Conti SSR tires)
Car has been rock solid. Not a rattle, not even the tiniest thing wrong with it since the day I picked it up. I think this is vastly overblown.
See above. Listen, nothing is going to be as bulletproof as an Acura but the overall quality of this car is amazing. Every single detail is thought thru to the n'th degree.

Still think it is a great car, but hesitant to make the jump after years of Acura reliability
Hope that addresses most of your issues. I'm thrilled I made the choice to go with the F10 535xi.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Don't really have to "switch" between radio bands. Store presets in mixed combinations, FM and SAT in the list. You can also use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to change stations without iDrive. Beautiful setup, IMO.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
And if you don't like the pre-sets or the scroll wheel you can always use voice control. Just say "AM 640" or "Satellite" or whatever. It works perfectly.
Touch wood but I've had no fault codes or problems of any kind either. Very good car so far.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
most of the things you mention become second nature after a month with the car. It's not a car for Luddites or the elderly for sure.
as for:
Issues:
1) 19" tires - I haven't had any issues, but I have RWD car, most bubbles seem to be disproportionally XDrive
2) multiple fault codes: transmission, suspension (ARS), etc - yes, it's not an Acura
3) Long term reliability and repeated inconvenient warranty issues - yeah this isn't a Lexus or an Acura, but all my issues have been small electrical issues that have all been sorted quickly, nothing major.

This isn't a car for everybody. If you're used to just putting gas in a car and floating home on a daily basis, this probably isn't the car for you. It requires a bit more attention, and the learning curve is a steeper, but it's still the best all around blend of , luxury,performance,practicality and looks. Lately they've been coming out of the wood works here in LA. It's like a locust swam of 5 series in West Hollywood area. I may have to get a CLS 550, just for show.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post

This isn't a car for everybody. If you're used to just putting gas in a car and floating home on a daily basis, this probably isn't the car for you. It requires a bit more attention, and the learning curve is a steeper, but it's still the best all around blend of , luxury,performance,practicality and looks. Lately they've been coming out of the wood works here in LA. It's like a locust swam of 5 series in West Hollywood area. I may have to get a CLS 550, just for show.
Totally. But IMHO even the CLS wouldn't make you turn and gaze at the car and then smile after you park it like the F10 does.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepetra View Post
Totally. But IMHO even the CLS wouldn't make you turn and gaze at the car and then smile after you park it like the F10 does.
Well..... not sure about that. I think I would probably turn .

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepetra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Well..... not sure about that. I think I would probably turn .
They both looks nice, it's just the barriers to entry for the CLS 550 is much higher than a 528i. After checking out the CLS in person, I wasn't that impressed considering how expensive it is. Makes a 550i actually look like a bargain.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i convertible
I can verify that pressing the 'P' at speed does nothing. I've hit it with a drink bottle at least 3 or 4 times.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Not too worried about myself learning the BMW way, more concerned for the occasional times the Mrs. has to drive, or the 16 year old new driver. wouldn't want them to get out and not turn the car fully off and lock the doors, or pull down on the stick thinking they are going in reverse to pull out of a parking spot and end up going into drive.......
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
Quote:
Not too worried about myself learning the BMW way, more concerned for the occasional times the Mrs. has to drive, or the 16 year old new driver. wouldn't want them to get out and not turn the car fully off and lock the doors, or pull down on the stick thinking they are going in reverse to pull out of a parking spot and end up going into drive.......
Just FYI, There is a safety feature to turn everything off before the battery fully dies to allow a engine startup if you are worried about coming back to a dead battery. As for the drive/ reverse issue if you get pdc, it should alert them of any potential mishaps. None of these outweighs the joy of driving one of these fine vehicles might I add. Just give them a good walk thru and I think you"ll be fine.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:57 PM

After ordering a BMW in July and looked to trade my 2010 TL, I opted out after reading hours and hours of posts on this forum. Bottom line, I love the looks of this car and still want one today. However, I drive 25k miles per year and don't have time for dealer visits and issues. Sure, some here have no issues. Others do. I cannot take that risk. But, that is me. I am sticking with Acura for now. Maybe will try again in a year or two.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535Stu View Post
After ordering a BMW in July and looked to trade my 2010 TL, I opted out after reading hours and hours of posts on this forum. Bottom line, I love the looks of this car and still want one today. However, I drive 25k miles per year and don't have time for dealer visits and issues. Sure, some here have no issues. Others do. I cannot take that risk. But, that is me. I am sticking with Acura for now. Maybe will try again in a year or two.
Just keep in mind it's all relative. You are bound to read more threads with ppl experiencing issues here because it's less likely that someone will just start a thread saying how they drove, encountered no issues and how awesome it was When you purchase a new car no matter which manufacturer, it's a crap shoot whether you will have a car with issues or not.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535Stu View Post
Sorry to hear you cancelled. When I was buying my first German car, a '99 Passat, I nearly changed my mind due to all the negative stuff on the VW forums. Same when I bought my C-Class. I had almost zero issues with both of those cars. Forums are a microscopic view of car ownership, mostly from fanatics (even me), who nitpick quite a bit. Yes there were some issues with some cars, but I bet the majority are fine. We've had 3 TL's, for my wife, and though they are nice cars, they're no match for the BMW experience. Hopefully you'll come around again soon.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Most of feature issues have solutions after a month of ownership.

Central lock is for your own car security.

I came from Honda/Acura family and loved them. When I started owning BMW, I would not go back. It's totally different level of driving experience and quality.

I never any major reliability issues with my BMW.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
most of the things you mention become second nature after a month with the car. It's not a car for Luddites or the elderly for sure.

Lately they've been coming out of the wood works here in LA. It's like a locust swam of 5 series in West Hollywood area. I may have to get a CLS 550, just for show.
Totally agree. Was in West Hollywood / Beverly Hills this past weekend - saw at least 7-8 different F10's, 5 Panameras and 2 Mazeratis.

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
2) Any German care I've been in has the central lock button in the center.
3) I'm not in the majority, but I think BMW has it right and everyone else has it wrong.
4) You do have a Mode button on the steering wheel and in the radio control area. And with the universal button memory, it's a lot more flexible.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
2) Any German care I've been in has the central lock button in the center.
3) I'm not in the majority, but I think BMW has it right and everyone else has it wrong.
4) You do have a Mode button on the steering wheel and in the radio control area. And with the universal button memory, it's a lot more flexible.
I agree with you on that one 100%. It's just very intuitive (at least to me)....same as in airplanes: pull back to go up, push forward to nose down...

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod

Last edited by gr8nrg; 09-28-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8nrg View Post
I agree with you on that one 100%. It's just very intuitive (at least to me)....same as in airplanes: pull back to go up, push forward to nose down...
It's definitely the right one. That's why all race cars are shifted that way.

It's based on how your body pulled when you accelarate and decelerate.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:

this can be addressed with the newly programmable buttons.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I third the "seeing them everywhere", and as a popular model, you're just gonna keep seeing more and more!

Just like any 5-Series, you're just an M-Pack and simple mod or two (as simple as tinted windows, for example) away from standing out from the blended in masses. That's the beauty of a good Mid-Size Luxury Sedan: Blend in when it needs to, but stands out when you want it to.

I too looked at a new CLS, and as nice as it is (although I'm not a fan of all the styling details), I feel that a car like the CLS (and 6-Series' for example) make 5-Series'/E-Classes/Etc. seem like complete bargains, just hitting that "sweet spot". It it's cache you're worried about, to most people, a large enough Sedan from BMW or Mercedes will garner all the positive cache the brands name has to offer. In a "cache sense", the extra $30-ishK for a CLS won't buy that much extra cache to the general public. To splurge that much on a car that is lacking so much in functionality and design efficiency than the car that it is based on, it's gotta be a 100% emotional/for you situation.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Sorry to hear you cancelled. When I was buying my first German car, a '99 Passat, I nearly changed my mind due to all the negative stuff on the VW forums. Same when I bought my C-Class. I had almost zero issues with both of those cars. Forums are a microscopic view of car ownership, mostly from fanatics (even me), who nitpick quite a bit. Yes there were some issues with some cars, but I bet the majority are fine. We've had 3 TL's, for my wife, and though they are nice cars, they're no match for the BMW experience. Hopefully you'll come around again soon.
True, Acuras are no BMW's. You get what you pay for, for sure. However, when the dealer was honest with me and stated the 19 inch tires on the x-drives do have bubble issues, and their have been software issues/updates with the transmission...I was done.

And, true, many don't state the good things about their car on these forums. But, I need to go with my own experience. Acura has been very good to me, no issues.

Everytime I see an F10 on the road, I do get very angry. I want it!

Let's start to see some resolution here, BMW, and I will pull the trigger.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpark01 View Post
most of the things you mention become second nature after a month with the car. It's not a car for luddites or the elderly for sure.
As for:
Issues:
1) 19" tires - i haven't had any issues, but i have rwd car, most bubbles seem to be disproportionally xdrive
2) multiple fault codes: Transmission, suspension (ars), etc - yes, it's not an acura
3) long term reliability and repeated inconvenient warranty issues - yeah this isn't a lexus or an acura, but all my issues have been small electrical issues that have all been sorted quickly, nothing major.

This isn't a car for everybody. If you're used to just putting gas in a car and floating home on a daily basis, this probably isn't the car for you. It requires a bit more attention, and the learning curve is a steeper, but it's still the best all around blend of , luxury,performance,practicality and looks. Lately they've been coming out of the wood works here in la. It's like a locust swam of 5 series in west hollywood area. I may have to get a cls 550, just for show.
+1
Old 09-29-2011, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
5) packages
Issues:
1) 19" tires

There is a mode switch on the dash for the entertainment options and also you have programmable buttons.
All of the other stuff is not big deal once you drive it. It is a great car to own and drive. It is incredibly well designed and engineered. i have not expereinced multiple fault codes that you reference. I have seen issues posted here related to that. I have had my 550i for 14 months and I have zero warranty issues. Unfortunately I did pick up a screw in the tire on a construction site and I had to replace the tire, but that was not BMW's fault. i highly recommend the F10.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 09-29-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM

I agree with many of the other posts above. Took me a bit to get used to some of the placement of things, two button push to turn off, etc. But after a while you get used to it. Now I really enjoy pulling straight out of a parking spot. Move the selector once towards you and you're ready to go. No more going through reverse, neutral and "gates" just to put the car in drive. The auto-hold is also cool. In stop and go traffic it applies the electronic parking brake allowing you to rest the foot/leg while waiting. Simply push on the accelerator and you're driving again. It is certainly a fine a machine..