Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: United States
Is your steering wheel centered?

Unfortunately, my 528i was one of those that pull to the right. I finally brought it in for a fix a few weeks back. The stealership wanted to rob me for $300 for alignement. The charge was dropped because they ended up flashing firmware.

Anyways, so now the car drives straight. Except that the steering wheel seems to be turned a bit to the right at natural position (the position when the car drives straight).

It is not off center by much. But it's off enough to noticeable. When cursing straight, it just feels weird!!

Anyone has the same experience dealing with this? I want to get it fixed, but just want to make sure I am not being over sensitive.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawwt View Post
Unfortunately, my 528i was one of those that pull to the right. I finally brought it in for a fix a few weeks back. The stealership wanted to rob me for $300 for alignement. The charge was dropped because they ended up flashing firmware.

Anyways, so now the car drives straight. Except that the steering wheel seems to be turned a bit to the right at natural position (the position when the car drives straight).

It is not off center by much. But it's off enough to noticeable. When cursing straight, it just feels weird!!

Anyone has the same experience dealing with this? I want to get it fixed, but just want to make sure I am not being over sensitive.

Thanks
This is a product of a poorly done alignment. I always insist on sitting in my car during an alignment to hold the wheel absolutely centered while the alignment is done. If a clamp is used instead of a person it often allows the steering wheel to shift off center during the alignment. Insist on the dealer doing it again for free, they screwed it up in the first place. If you work during the week, do it on a Saturday morning if the dealer is open. I have been doing this since 1989 and it's the only thing that works. I let the service manager do it for me last spring and I had to bring it back to get it done right.

BMWs tend to hold alignment well so I usually only have to do it once a year after a winter of Pittsburgh Potholes. Good Luck!
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
My wheel is perfectly straight, has been since day 1. Take it back -- they should center it. Nothing drives me crazy like an off-center steering wheel.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawwt View Post

Thanks
So now you have absolutely no pull to the right at all???
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: United States
Yes, I think it doesn't pull to the right anymore. At least it much much better than before.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion. I will give my service guy a call and see if it can be fixed.