Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5
Operation of blind spot detection

I've had my car back in the USA for almost two weeks. While I was in Europe, I really focused on the basic systems, and the DRIVING. Now that I've had some time with the car, I'm starting to learn more about it, and to have some questions. One area I'm not sure about is the operation of the "Active Blind Spot Detection".

Here's one thing: If I'm in the left lane, cruising along and I pass a vehicle that's going signficantly slower than me, the triangle in the outside mirror never lights up. If someone passes me on the right, or if I pass someone who is going just a little slower than I am, then it does light up. Is this proper operation?

I also didn't realize that there's a second mode of operation, beyond just lighting up if there's something in the blind spot. If you use your turn signal while the yellow triangle light is lit, the system will shake the steering wheel (same as Lane Departure Warning), and the yellow triangle will flash.

I also discovered that neither LDW nor blind spot detection works at speeds below 30 MPH / 50 KPH.

Previously...
'11 F10 550i M Sport (ED Aug 1, 2011; US deliv, Sep 12, 2011)
'08 E90 M3
'07 E92 335i: ordered Nov '06; delivered Jan '07, totaled Sep '08.
'02 E39 M5: June 2002 - June 2007
'00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i + VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I don't have the driver assistance options, personally I think they're kind of unnecessary. That said, I bet the detail is in the manual. But IIRC, when you activate the turn signal, it thinks are are ready to MOVE so it really warns you by shaking the wheel. What I can't figure out is, when in traffic, isn't the triangle always lit when a car is next to you? Kind of like crying wolf I would think -- after a while you won't pay attention to it. Correctly positioned mirrors are your friend, I don't think I need a light to tell me when a car is there.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I don't have the driver assistance options, personally I think they're kind of unnecessary. That said, I bet the detail is in the manual. But IIRC, when you activate the turn signal, it thinks are are ready to MOVE so it really warns you by shaking the wheel. What I can't figure out is, when in traffic, isn't the triangle always lit when a car is next to you? Kind of like crying wolf I would think -- after a while you won't pay attention to it. Correctly positioned mirrors are your friend, I don't think I need a light to tell me when a car is there.
Agreed. I use this the least of all the driver assistance features. And I've been an advocate of proper mirror positioning for a very long time -- if you do it right, there is no blind spot. (I've verified this in the F10 -- when the triangles light up, I can see the car in my mirrors.)

I've been through the manual (the PDF as well as the one in the car), and there's no mention of exclusion based on closing/passing speed. It does mention that there's a minimum speed (30 MPH, noted in my original posting), which is why the triangle isn't lit all the time when you're in traffic.

Previously...
'08 E90 M3
Old 09-30-2011, 05:48 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
Agreed. I use this the least of all the driver assistance features. And I've been an advocate of proper mirror positioning for a very long time -- if you do it right, there is no blind spot. (I've verified this in the F10 -- when the triangles light up, I can see the car in my mirrors.)

I've been through the manual (the PDF as well as the one in the car), and there's no mention of exclusion based on closing/passing speed. It does mention that there's a minimum speed (30 MPH, noted in my original posting), which is why the triangle isn't lit all the time when you're in traffic.
Curiously, of all the driver assistance features, this is the only one that I think is worth anything. Well, self park isn't too bad, but it's conservative. Auto high beam is useless for me since I'm suburban / urban with plenty of light and LDW is just totally worthless.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I've had my car back in the USA for almost two weeks. While I was in Europe, I really focused on the basic systems, and the DRIVING. Now that I've had some time with the car, I'm starting to learn more about it, and to have some questions. One area I'm not sure about is the operation of the "Active Blind Spot Detection".

Here's one thing: If I'm in the left lane, cruising along and I pass a vehicle that's going signficantly slower than me, the triangle in the outside mirror never lights up. If someone passes me on the right, or if I pass someone who is going just a little slower than I am, then it does light up. Is this proper operation?

I also didn't realize that there's a second mode of operation, beyond just lighting up if there's something in the blind spot. If you use your turn signal while the yellow triangle light is lit, the system will shake the steering wheel (same as Lane Departure Warning), and the yellow triangle will flash.

I also discovered that neither LDW nor blind spot detection works at speeds below 30 MPH / 50 KPH.
That is the proper operation. It's actually a pretty decent system. My only complaint is that the distance that it needs to be open behind you before the light turns off is a little conservative.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I What I can't figure out is, when in traffic, isn't the triangle always lit when a car is next to you?
It's actually pretty smart. As the OP said, it doesn't activate below 30 MPH. Also, it won't activate if you are overtaking. It really only activates if a car is overtaking you.

Do you need it? No. However I do find it to be useful. This morning, for instance, I was on a local two lane road approaching a light with stopped traffic. I had been paying good attention to the left lane as I approached and I wanted to pop over there as there was less of a line. As I turned my head to look at the mirror the light went off...turns out that there was a car approaching at about 40 to 50 mph in the left lane. He went wizzing by and slammed on his brakes. Because of his rate of approach, I may or may not have seen him in the mirror (which is properly adjusted).

Would I buy the package if I was optioning the car to buy it? Hell no. But it came with the car and I don't mind having it there. It's pretty unobtrusive.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi ///M Sport
In my area, it seems there are more motorcyclists than the Sturgis Rally. I've found the Blind Spot Detection to be excellent for detecting bikers approaching blind spots, especially during bad weather and evenings. Highly recommended!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's actually pretty smart. As the OP said, it doesn't activate below 30 MPH. Also, it won't activate if you are overtaking. It really only activates if a car is overtaking you.

Do you need it? No. However I do find it to be useful. This morning, for instance, I was on a local two lane road approaching a light with stopped traffic. I had been paying good attention to the left lane as I approached and I wanted to pop over there as there was less of a line. As I turned my head to look at the mirror the light went off...turns out that there was a car approaching at about 40 to 50 mph in the left lane. He went wizzing by and slammed on his brakes. Because of his rate of approach, I may or may not have seen him in the mirror (which is properly adjusted).

Would I buy the package if I was optioning the car to buy it? Hell no. But it came with the car and I don't mind having it there. It's pretty unobtrusive.
Your statement of it not activating if you are overtaking another car is not true. It definitely comes on when you over take a car. I love this feature even with properly positioned mirrors.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburleson View Post
Your statement of it not activating if you are overtaking another car is not true. It definitely comes on when you over take a car. I love this feature even with properly positioned mirrors.
There are most certainly many instances that when I am overtaking another car on the highway, it does not activate. I can't recall it ever activating when I was overtaking a car.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:32 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
There are most certainly many instances that when I am overtaking another car on the highway, it does not activate. I can't recall it ever activating when I was overtaking a car.
Once you overtake a car, it is then alongside, then behind you. At some point it must be in the blind spot? I think you're saying it "knows" how the car got in that position so it isn't activating? But say after you get ahead of the other car just a tad, then you drive for a while with it trailing in the blind spot. At some point the alert must activate I would think.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 09-30-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I first noted this behavior when I was on the autobahns during my European Delivery. If you overtake a slower vehicle with a "significant" speed difference, the system never activates. I've confirmed that operation on both sides of the vehicle since I got it back in the US.

If, however, you overtake a vehicle where there is not a "significant" speed difference, then the system *does* activate.

The big question -- which I cannot answer -- is what is "significant"? At what speed difference does the system stop indicating presence of the other vehicle?

Previously...
'08 E90 M3
Old 10-01-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
After i read this thread I purposely paid attention to this feature while overtaking another vehicle. Mine worked whether overtaking another vehicle on the right or left.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
After i read this thread I purposely paid attention to this feature while overtaking another vehicle. Mine worked whether overtaking another vehicle on the right or left.
Interesting. Couple of questions:

1. How significant was the speed difference -- a few miles an hour (up to about 5 or 10) or more than that?

2. What's the build date of your car?

Previously...
'08 E90 M3
Old 10-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
My system does not warn when overtaking a slower vehicle.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Couple of questions:

1. How significant was the speed difference -- a few miles an hour (up to about 5 or 10) or more than that?

2. What's the build date of your car?
Between 5 and 10 mph. June 2011 build date.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Between 5 and 10 mph. June 2011 build date.
I *THINK* that at that low a speed difference, you get the warning. Above some threshold (and I don't know what it is), I don't think you get it.

FWIW, my car was built about a month after yours, so I doubt there was any kind of update to explain it.

Previously...
'08 E90 M3