Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
RFT Insurance - yes or no (cost estimate too)

What are some opinions on the BMW Tire Insurance. I'm seeing various posts regarding the sizes of tires, types and if you would want it depending on where you live. I'll have the 18" wheels on my 2012 GT 535ix.

That said, if you did get the insurance what did you pay and where?

Reviewing this post as well : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6245555

Thanks!

Last edited by Wardman; 09-29-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
What are some opinions on the BMW Tire Insurance. I'm seeing various posts regarding the sizes of tires, types and if you would want it depending on where you live.

That said, if you did get the insurance what did you pay and where?

Thanks!
jus' my 2 cents but $1900 - which is the going rate I understand - seems like alot for tire and wheel insurance.

Tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer. For serious problems you can make a claim
on your insurance.

I run 20 inch staggered wheels and tires and have only had to replace one tire due to a bubble in 15K miles. Most of my driving is on relatively good pavement in the Metro DC area but I also frequent the cobblestone streets of Baltimore and mountain roads in Western Maryland and WV. I usually tend to push it but I ease up and drive in "comfort" mode on less perfect surfaces which lessens the impact.

I lost 4 tires on my 335i vert when it was swallowed by the mother of all potholes on a cold wet winter night. The runflats worked as advertised and I was able to limp home. I filed an insurance claim and my insurance company picked up the $3000 tab minus my deductible.

I know others consider the insurance mandatory, and if I lived in the metro NYC area, I might be in their camp.

Last edited by Capobranco; 09-28-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
Worth the money?

I don't think it's worth the money they (over)charge you...
I never go for it. Btw, do some research, I think you can get road hazard insurance from one of the large tire installer shops even if you do't buy the tires from them. If you get Dunlops, they do have road hazard warranty as well.

I thought about getting it when I bought the X5 but didn't go for it and I'm glad I didn't. The roads that I drive in are in generally good condition (no road salt around here). Much like Capo, when I had a serious accident and had to replace two tires and wheels I filed a claim and the insurance picked it up, minus deductible.

With that said... I do patch my RFT's as long as it's not an issue with/near the sidewall.... If you prefer not to, then it may make more sense to have the tire insurance.

Last edited by 1STBimmer; 09-28-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
jus' my 2 cents but $1900 - which is the going rate I understand - seems like alot for tire and wheel insurance.

Tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer. For serious problems you can make a claim
on your insurance.

I run 20 inch staggered wheels and tires and have only had to replace one tire due to a bubble in 15K miles. Most of my driving is on relatively good pavement in the Metro DC area but I also frequent the cobblestone streets of Baltimore and mountain roads in Western Maryland and WV. I usually tend to push it but I ease up and drive in "comfort" mode on less perfect surfaces which lessens the impact.

I lost 4 tires on my 335i vert when it was swallowed by the mother of all potholes on a cold wet winter night. The runflats worked as advertised and I was able to limp home. I filed an insurance claim and my insurance company picked up the $3000 tab minus my deductible.

I know others consider the insurance mandatory, and if I lived in the metro NYC area, I might be in their camp.

+1 agree that if you lived in NYC or other bad, pothole filled area, then get the insurance. but $1900?? plus the question: if your tires need replacement, do they give you exact replacement or can you choose? just replaced the tires on my E93 vert, 19K miles (probably could have gone 1-2K more) -- went from bridgestone rft to michelin pilot rfts. had some tramlining initially, but they swapped the two front tires and now she drives perfectly! plus seems a bit more comfy/quieter than the bridgestones. 4 tires + alignment cost about $1900.

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '05Accord Cpe,'07Wrangler
So, why exactly do we need the RFT's? I understand you can drive XX miles and do not get stranded, but other than that what are the real benefits? Arent non-RFT's cheaper and do the job as well as the RFT's?

Why not hold onto the $1900 and decide what you want to do with it?

From reading the forum, I have come across the below:
- GY replaced the tires with bubbles
- GY gave $$$ pay for 4 new tires of any brand

I think GY warranty will cover it for the first year only, but after that if you really need new tires, you can just buy them yourself for the same cost as the insurance...Of course, the rims will not be covered, but is it common for them to become unusable?

ED 01/20/2012: 2012 750i ActiveHybrid | Deep Sea Blue with Saddle and Black Nappa leather | Driver Assistance Package

Read my ED Trip report here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595402
Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 AM

Anyone have insurance costs estimates?

I'd be looking at a 3 year plan ( I wil have a 3 year lease). Dealers welcome to comment as well!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 AM

I've had two cars with LP wheels, but never any with RFT's. It seems there is a problem with RFT's in general (maybe Goodyears, maybe the LS2 or Excellence, and maybe others and mostly with 19" and larger) with bubbling. But also related to tire pressure and punctures. It appears RFT's cannot be plugged if punctured and must be replaced.

Both of my LP wheels (a 535i and E430) had to have the wheels and tires replaced for:
- out of round on the 535 which cost me about $1600 for new rims and rubber in 1997
- hit a pothole in the E430 that put a bubble in the front and rear passenger tire but were replaced by the tire manny's extended for fee warranty.

I would love to put regular tires on my car, but it's not a factory option b/c there is no spare wheel (or place for it) in the GT. So it doesn't fly with US regulations. Some have gone to regular tires after the fact, and then run the risk of no spare and/or swapping it around when getting inspections (in PA inspections are still every year so that would be a pain).

I'm going to price out the option for insurance, and also consider after market insurance froma local tire shop. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Wardman; 09-29-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 AM

I just spoke to GoodYear (ironically next door to the BMW dealer) -

$50.00 per tire puts road hazzard on the rubber for life of the tire, pro-rated to tread life if there is any claim. He also said that RFT's are seeing less mileage with normal driving (LS2's being about 20-30K miles in many cases) than traditional tires. Bubbles have been known to occur.

I think that may be my choice for a little piece of mind.

Don't you love all this iwantone :-) If it's not what car, color, options, it's something else!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
I just spoke to GoodYear (ironically next door to the BMW dealer) -

$50.00 per tire puts road hazzard on the rubber for life of the tire, pro-rated to tread life if there is any claim. He also said that RFT's are seeing less mileage with normal driving (LS2's being about 20-30K miles in many cases) than traditional tires. Bubbles have been known to occur.

I think that may be my choice for a little piece of mind.

Don't you love all this iwantone :-) If it's not what car, color, options, it's something else!
Will road hazard cover the bubbles? Also, what happens if the tires wear out much quicker than expected (ref. other thread)? You still have to replace the tires.

My plan (at least for the moment) is -

- Do not pay $1900 upfront for the insurance
- If bubbles appear in the 1st year try to have it covered under GY warranty
- Once tires wear out or bubbles appear after the GY warranty runs out, switch to tires from Costco that has an excellent 5 year warranty

ED 01/20/2012: 2012 750i ActiveHybrid | Deep Sea Blue with Saddle and Black Nappa leather | Driver Assistance Package

Read my ED Trip report here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595402
Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Yes - roadhazzard covers the bubbles or punctures.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantone View Post
Will road hazard cover the bubbles? Also, what happens if the tires wear out much quicker than expected (ref. other thread)? You still have to replace the tires.

My plan (at least for the moment) is -

- Do not pay $1900 upfront for the insurance
- If bubbles appear in the 1st year try to have it covered under GY warranty
- Once tires wear out or bubbles appear after the GY warranty runs out, switch to tires from Costco that has an excellent 5 year warranty
Sounds like a plan.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM

or you could by the $1800 dollar set on the other forum and have winters and a spare set ready :-)
Old 09-29-2011, 02:00 PM

This discussion is everywhere....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=571671

Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Back to the 19 and 20 inch wheels a lot of times too...

It used to be $595 in the northeast for 5 years of coverage - BMW had to increase the price due to the number of claims (per a BMW finance guy on another site).

$200 for roadhazard for me from Goodyear (if they come with Goodyear). I've been safe with the rims, but sounds like RFT's have their challenges....

Last edited by Wardman; 10-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
My tire and wheel protection from the dealer (at time of car purchase) cost $1374 for 3 years. I have GY Eagle LS2 245/45 R19 all season (run flats) on my 550iX GT.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
My long-term thoughts on runflats may change, but short-term, they're not bad.

Why BMW chose them (my thoughts): a spare (even a compact spare) carries a weight and storage space penalty. Then, add in the no jack or tire iron and you add in a net decrease in manufacturing cost.

Now, it does limit your choices, and I don't like that. BMW's advice to not rotate tires also may likely decrease the overall life of the tread, but means the advice for all models stays the same (i.e., staggered sizes would make that impossible on some models).

Can you run 'normal' tires? Sure, but you risk being stuck somewhere and immobile. Get a flat on a bridge, for example, and it's often illegal to stop. You may have to drive quite a ways before you get to a breakdown area, and almost certainly incur the cost of a new rim in the process or a big fine if you just sit there. There are materials you can inject in the tires to help prevent or seal small punctures. These may or may not affect the TPMS. Or, carry around a small compressor to replenish that slow leak, and you have one more thing to clutter up the back hatch. Plus, then there's the safety factor. Hopefully, most people reading here would notice and understand the warning of a low pressure tire, but as an example, one guy at work asked me what the 'crown' symbol on his dash meant. He did not recognize nor understand that it was the low-pressure tire warning! He'd been driving for ages with it on. Runflats might help save some of these people from themselves! Some people buy BMW's and aren't the best drivers! The newer vehicles at least now spell it out in a quite clear way - the older ones didn't.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikez38 View Post
My tire and wheel protection from the dealer (at time of car purchase) cost $1374 for 3 years. I have GY Eagle LS2 245/45 R19 all season (run flats) on my 550iX GT.
Have you had any issues?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantone View Post
Have you had any issues?
None yet after 2500 miles. I have developed the habit of looking at the outside of each tire before I leave for longer trips. I wouldn't notice any inside bubbles though.
I am concerned that something is about to happen, feelings that I should not have to have on a new car.