Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
Tension bushing is leaking

Today I saw a red puddle of fluid under my car, immediately I look from the both side and found on driver side a leak. At first I thought it's active stability control, because the fluid was on sway bar bushing,(but stability control uses same fluid as steering - CF 11 and it's almost clear color) so I went to my friend's garage and we looked again, it was leaking from bushing 12, on engine side.
So anyone has same situation and how long did you drive on this bushing and what had effect anything, tires wear or steering pulling? I need to fix it asap of course , but I have extended maintenance plan (not a CPO) and I have lot work right now, so repair car is a second plan. So I'm planning to replace all assembly.
BTW car has only 70,000, and I thought since I switched on 5-series, I shall not have same problem as E46 has it. But am I wrong? The suspension should be bullet proof?

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Ads by Google
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Did not know those tension strut bushings were fluid filled. Is it possible you have a steering reservoir leaking on the bushing?

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
I don't know if this is the same bushing, but BMW informed me that my "Front Thrust Rod Bushings" were leaking and need to be replaced when they inspected the car last week. This is connected to the struts somehow. Of course CPO doesn't cover it and BMW quoted me $1200 and change for the repair which includes a wheel alignment. I took the car to my Indy who looked at the front end and saw no signs of leakage anyplace.
Nube, have you ever heard of a "Thrust Rod Bushing"?

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM
U of Dawgs

Yes... the OP said tension bushing so I suppose I kinda jumped the gun.

Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chill View Post
I don't know if this is the same bushing, but BMW informed me that my "Front Thrust Rod Bushings" were leaking and need to be replaced when they inspected the car last week. This is connected to the struts somehow. Of course CPO doesn't cover it and BMW quoted me $1200 and change for the repair which includes a wheel alignment. I took the car to my Indy who looked at the front end and saw no signs of leakage anyplace.
I think it's same one, they just called different. Mine were leaked out very fast (just right on parking lot) and now is dry as could be. I have inspected a rubber, and a rubber is like solid like new. I'm really surprised by this event and upset. When will BMW learn how to make bushing that is no going bad after 50,000 (I have 70,000). I have Lexus with 115,000 and no problem.
Many people don't even know their bushing had leaked.

Last edited by phlfly; 09-29-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
It would be rare for it to leak onto the ground if even possible as there is really not that much in them and its more of a heavy grease as opposed to red oil,There is a good chance something else is leaking .
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlfly View Post
I think it's same one, they just called different. Mine were leaked out very fast (just right on parking lot) and now is dry as could be. I have inspected a rubber, and a rubber is like solid like new. I'm really surprised by this event and upset. When will BMW learn how to make bushing that is no going bad after 50,000 (I have 70,000). I have Lexus with 115,000 and no problem.
Many people don't even know their bushing had leaked.
As mentioned, both I and my mechanic inspected the front end and saw absolutely nothing, so I don't know if BMW is just trying to get money from me or whatever they saw was so tiny, it can wait. I'm also having a problem with my radio reception. When I turn on my rear defroster, I loose all radio reception. BMW says the antenna in the back glass is bad and the rear glass needs to be replaced! I 100% agree about not seeing these problems in a Lexus. I had my Lexus for about 5 years and only had 1 problem, with the heated seats, with about 98K miles until she was totalled by an unlicensed driver.
So far now I have had about 6 problems with this Bimmer with just 60K miles and now am getting a little agitated. Thinking of selling her at 95K before the CPO runs out and switching back to Lexus.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 2005 545
When I bought my 05 545 my thrust arm bushings were leaking the dealer told me 1100$ to replace them I started doing some research and found that this is common on the e60. I bought parts form FCp they were 150 $ a peace they are aluminum made and very light I also saw that you can change the bushings just my them self but since they are aluminum so sometimes you can make the whole bigger and the new bushings will not fit so I went with new ones.. It was not hard to replace either. I felt vibration and my tires were worn pretty bad. Hope this helps

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...210&highlight=
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 AM

I had two E46's one is 325 i and M3, and both had to replaced arm bushings, and none of them ever leaked, rather rubber cracked. So I opened up them and OEM (from BMW) had red hydralic oil, just make a smal puddel of fluid.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 AM
U of Dawgs

I would tend to believe liquefied high temp bearing grease which can come in red color for those (forgive me for throwing in another term) hydromounts.

You got really good eyes or a very clean garage...

Nube1Kenobi

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 09-29-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chill View Post
Interesting - I just had mine replaced under warranty (I am at 44K miles). Mine were cracked and caused a shaking in the steering wheel.

BMW CCA Member
Old 09-29-2011, 01:44 PM

My car runs perfect. My mechanic couldn't even confirm if anything is wrong down there. It's great when they find problems when your car has under 50K on the ODO as the CPO doesn't pay for much outside of the actual engine and transmission internal parts and seals.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Bmw 545
It is your thrust rod bushings. Part number 31-12-0-305-612. Cost should be about $110.00 for the part. Mine failed at 52k. Dealer price for replacement and alignment $730.00. Indy should be about $500.00.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yopeterson View Post
It is your thrust rod bushings. Part number 31-12-0-305-612. Cost should be about $110.00 for the part. Mine failed at 52k. Dealer price for replacement and alignment $730.00. Indy should be about $500.00.
$730.00 sounds like a steal - when dealing with BMW. What dealer quoted you this price? They want $500.00 more here in the New York area.
Also, is that $110.00 price from an actual BMW dealership parts dept?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
My local dealer also diagnosed a shaking/vibration as leaking bushings and quoted $800 for the repair on our 2007 550i. That was 30k miles ago. After a new set of tires and a really good alignment, the vibration is mainly gone. I do get some shaking when braking hard. sort of back and forth.

92k miles now...was at 60k when they quoted. I have never seen any leaks. I have heard they are oil filled and some have replaced with poly and not happy due to harshness.

I may call an Indy to get this job done eventually. Or sell and upgrade.

2011 335i Convertible M-Sport - Silver - Saddle
2007 550i Sport - White - Tan
Old 04-08-2012, 06:00 PM

yes it will leak out, but rubber can be stiff for long period as my local mechanic told me. Even we removed old arm, the fluid is already gone, but rubber look very good. May be that is reason we have vibration, oil is gone, so it doesn't dump road uneven.

Last edited by phlfly; 04-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to xclone
Mein Auto: 2008 535iA
holy crap! Guys, that is ridiculous! The thrust arm bushings ARE filled with fluid and, yes, around 75-90k they will need to be replaced. However, the job is 30 minutes TOPS and the bushings are about 110 for OEM. You can also get polyurethane bushing which cost more but are lifetime.

BMW makes them remove the entire thrust arm, manually push the bushing out. My indy had a bushing "ram' or hydraulic tool that literally removed them in 30 seconds (about 4 minutes to hook it up) and the entire process took about 30 minutes (they charged me one hour labor). If you are paying more then $200 to replace thee bushings I HIGHLY recommend you find another shop who has the proper tools to replace these without totally removing the thrust arm.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclone View Post
holy crap! Guys, that is ridiculous! The thrust arm bushings ARE filled with fluid and, yes, around 75-90k they will need to be replaced. However, the job is 30 minutes TOPS and the bushings are about 110 for OEM. You can also get polyurethane bushing which cost more but are lifetime.

BMW makes them remove the entire thrust arm, manually push the bushing out. My indy had a bushing "ram' or hydraulic tool that literally removed them in 30 seconds (about 4 minutes to hook it up) and the entire process took about 30 minutes (they charged me one hour labor). If you are paying more then $200 to replace thee bushings I HIGHLY recommend you find another shop who has the proper tools to replace these without totally removing the thrust arm.
Hi
I have an 05 545i with about 70k miles. BMW dealer said I needed to replace due to cracks. I dont have any shaking, nor tire wear, nor alignment problems. When you changed the bushings, did you do an alignment after?

I will need new tires in about 6 months and dont know if I should wait 6 months to change everything, or change the bushings now so I dont mess anything up and do the alignment in 6 months when I change my tires.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:10 PM

Yes I would a good idea to alignment.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:00 AM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
I dntknow about 30 minutes specially if you removing the arms and pressed them out with a bench pressed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App