Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: Vegas
Arrow Hi and what about this M3?

hi everyone...
am new to forums and BMW's, however, have had my little green 325i (think you guys may refer to it as a E46, based on my brief study of BMW model history) for 3 years and LOVE is silky smooth purr and well, i dunno, some kind of "X" factor, cannot describe, but different ride & handling than any car i've had?
Love it !

Now a bit about me;
Was H.S. cheerleader & beauty pageant winner. Then came, to Vegas to be a Hooters girl.
Now am baccarat dealer on Strip...making oodles of $$$, and would like to move on soon, to a more sensual hotter ride. I want thrills...since i was turned on to motorcycle racing at an early age...nothing more thrilling than to have all that power & thrust between your legs, rumbling!

So I would like to learn more about the M3?
Also have been on Lexus forum, and they tell me the IS-F is the M3 killer???
Just as fast, more torque (not exactly sure that that means?)...and much, much more reliable, especially for the electronics and since that so much electronics and computers control the M3
...and they say that Germans suck at that compared to the Japanese,
I would be better off with the IS-F ?
I may want to keep this car for a really long time if I like it. don't want to lease, want to own and love it and mod it if I really like it, you know make it personalized...make it me?

But i do not need reliability headaches and it in the shop all the time, and especially after warranty...and others say that German cars are all about that, un-reliable 'cause the electrical stuff is always failing, and i won't have that with the Lexus IS-F.
And that now, the 2011 IS-f is every bit as fast & fun to drive as the M3. But I like the BMW i have now...and am not sure if it is just forum bias?

Can you guys who know these cars explain?
Can you be objective, since this is a M3 forum?
Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2011, 06:08 PM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Lexus forums may be the only place the IS-F is thought to be a better car than the M3. Read any real car comparison/review, and you'll find the M3 is regarded as the best.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Coupe
It's a rebadged Toyota. All kidding aside, test drive both and choose for yourself. Both are nice cars but hands down the M3 is the standard everyone is chasing.

'11 M3 Coupe
'10 335i xDrive - Will be missed
Old 10-01-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Lexus forums may be the only place the IS-F is thought to be a better car than the M3. Read any real car comparison/review, and you'll find the M3 is regarded as the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinlee View Post
It's a rebadged Toyota. All kidding aside, test drive both and choose for yourself. Both are nice cars but hands down the M3 is the standard everyone is chasing.
Well, thank you both. Makes sense.
but how about the so called electronic reliability issues and nightmares the Lexus guys talk about with M3's and BMWs in general, although I have not experienced that with my 2002 325i?
They say the bad electrical systems that Germans put in the cars leave people stranded on the road (EDC or EDU or something failures?)...and that Japanese cars are dependable?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Sedan
Top Gear M3 vs. IS-F
Old 10-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan
Here's my $200 (yes, my thoughts are worth 1000 times market value).

I just test drove the Lexus IS-F on Thursday (9/29). I drove (and bought) an M3 on Friday. That "x-factor" you mentioned is a common thing amoungst BMW drivers. BMW purposely engineers their cars to establish a certain connection with the driver. From the most plain-jane 328 on the lot, to the private-jet-on-wheels B7, BMW engineers design their cars to provide feedback from the car itself to the driver. From the way the steering wheel feels in the hand, to the noises the car makes, to the layout of the gauges, the car is built to let the driver know what its doing. In short, it's a drivers car.

The Lexus is NOT a drivers car. Yes, i know that Toyota's marketing department markets the IS-F as an "M3 killer", and yes I know that people everywhere will repeat that mantra. That why Toyota's marketing people are well paid. In truth, what the IS-F is, is a showcase of engineering. It's a platform that Toyota uses to show off what their engineers can do. My personal opinion is that the IS-F doesn't provide or really do a good job of translating it's impressive numbers into a real-world driving experience. The torque and HP looks impressive, but when you actually drive the car, you find that the power is always sort of just out of reach. It reminds me a lot of the G37. Just when you start to really feel the power, its time to swap gears. The jar is full of cookies, but mom put it so high up on the top shelf, it's barely worth the effort to go get them. Aside from that, the car doesn't feel much different than what a normal Lexus feels like. It's the kind of car that lets you play with your phone while you drive along. You dont need two hands on the wheel, and so after awhile you dont WANT to put two hands on the wheel. It just doesn't make you WANT to drive it any harder than you would the normal IS, so really what's the point? And that is exactly what I thought in my head while I test drive it: "what exactly is the point of this car? what is it supposed to be?". The car's answer to that question is just a smooth silence, and what else would it be? That's a Lexus trademark. It's what they do.

As for reliability, I'd say it's a non-issue. This current M3 has been around awhile and most of the long term reports are positive. My 335i gave me 3 years of hard driving without a single fault. There's always a chance you get a bad one, but I'd say the risk is no more than it is with the Lexus. Gotta roll the dice to have some fun, but a chick from Vegas knows that already Look, reliability is the domain of the Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's of the world. You are talking about two cutting-edge, high performance cars. The tolerances are tight, the tech is new, and there is always a chance it doesn't go right. If reliability is one of your top concerns, then I would suggest you should be comparing perhaps a 335i and an IS-350.

Just go drive both cars, I'm pretty sure you'll know right away which one you want. The marketing might sound confusingly simular, but they are VERY different once you are behind the wheel.

Cheers,
~Richard

Last edited by richard1138; 10-01-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1138 View Post
Here's my $200 (yes, my thoughts are worth 1000 times market value).

I just test drove the Lexus IS-F on Thursday (9/29). I drove (and bought) an M3 on Friday. That "x-factor" you mentioned is a common thing amoungst BMW drivers. BMW purposely engineers their cars to establish a certain connection with the driver. From the most plain-jane 328 on the lot, to the private-jet-on-wheels B7, BMW engineers design their cars to provide feedback from the car itself to the driver. From the way the steering wheel feels in the hand, to the noises the car makes, to the layout of the gauges, the car is built to let the driver know what its doing. In short, it's a drivers car.

The Lexus is NOT a drivers car. Yes, i know that Toyota's marketing department markets the IS-F as an "M3 killer", and yes I know that people everywhere will repeat that mantra. That why Toyota's marketing people are well paid. In truth, what the IS-F is, is a showcase of engineering. It's a platform that Toyota uses to show off what their engineers can do. My personal opinion is that the IS-F doesn't provide or really do a good job of translating it's impressive numbers into a real-world driving experience. The torque and HP looks impressive, but when you actually drive the car, you find that the power is always sort of just out of reach. It reminds me a lot of the G37. Just when you start to really feel the power, its time to swap gears. The jar is full of cookies, but mom put it so high up on the top shelf, it's barely worth the effort to go get them. Aside from that, the car doesn't feel much different than what a normal Lexus feels like. It's the kind of car that lets you play with your phone while you drive along. You dont need two hands on the wheel, and so after awhile you dont WANT to put two hands on the wheel. It just doesn't make you WANT to drive it any harder than you would the normal IS, so really what's the point? And that is exactly what I thought in my head while I test drive it: "what exactly is the point of this car? what is it supposed to be?". The car's answer to that question is just a smooth silence, and what else would it be? That's a Lexus trademark. It's what they do.

As for reliability, I'd say it's a non-issue. This current M3 has been around awhile and most of the long term reports are positive. My 335i gave me 3 years of hard driving without a single fault. There's always a chance you get a bad one, but I'd say the risk is no more than it is with the Lexus. Gotta roll the dice to have some fun, but a chick from Vegas knows that already Look, reliability is the domain of the Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's of the world. You are talking about two cutting-edge, high performance cars. The tolerances are tight, the tech is new, and there is always a chance it doesn't go right. If reliability is one of your top concerns, then I would suggest you should be comparing perhaps a 335i and an IS-350.

Just go drive both cars, I'm pretty sure you'll know right away which one you want. The marketing might sound confusingly simular, but they are VERY different once you are behind the wheel.

Cheers,
~Richard
Wow...
"Here's my $200 (yes, my thoughts are worth 1000 times market value).
Pretty cocky...eh, ...get you a Vegas lounge act
REALLY great answer, i am thoroughly impressed
Well, maybe except for the advice to get the 335i for better reliability...read about those fuel pump failures and BMW denying the problem existed...
maybe things are sorted out with that by now?
My dad says NA engines will always be more reliable than FI ones ( i am learning the lingo, lol...)
Thanks for the synopsis of the test drive...cannot get better than that, I wonder how many others out there did the IS-F then M3 back 2 back test drives?
I will soon.
The car that makes me wet, will be the one i chose!

Last edited by bimmerbabe69; 10-01-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Now that you mention it, I do recall that the HPFP on my 335i was bad, and did get replaced. I forgot it, because from my perspective I never knew. I brought the car in for a routine maintenance appointment and when i picked it up they told me "oh by the way we replaced the HPFP". It cost me $0 and like I said, they did this during a routine appointment, so I never really paid much attention to it. No clue about what you mean by BMW denying the problem existed, they replaced mine before I had ever even heard about it.

Sounds like you are the kind of girl that takes what you hear on the innanets way too seriously. In that case, I'm a 6'5" solid muscle underwear model and I sold my fingernails to Revlon because all they ever did was peel money and touch bitches.

By the way, your first oil change in that Lexus will cost you $511.00. Cost of every oil change I ever had in the 335 + the replaced HPFP + every other service + 7 tires + 2 wheels over the course of owning the car = $0.

I'll say it again, your borderline-paranoid obsession with reliability leads me to believe that neither the IS-F nor the M3 is the right car for you. I hear the Hyundai Sonata is rock solid these days. It won't make you wet, so just throw some astroglide on the seats. Good luck!

Cheers
~Richard
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
This is entertaining. I hope (for the sake of my interest level in this thread) the OP is smoking hot.

Richard,
How did you get 7 tires for $0?

F10 M5 Alpine/Sakhir
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaynemd View Post
This is entertaining. I hope (for the sake of my interest level in this thread) the OP is smoking hot.

Richard,
How did you get 7 tires for $0?
Get that tire protection deal. When you want a new tire just run over a pot hole

In all seriousness, the run flat tires are really easy to damage, but they were good about replacing them before it became an issue.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:35 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I do recall that the HPFP on my 335i was bad, and did get replaced. I forgot it, because from my perspective I never knew. I brought the car in for a routine maintenance appointment and when i picked it up they told me "oh by the way we replaced the HPFP". It cost me $0 and like I said, they did this during a routine appointment, so I never really paid much attention to it. No clue about what you mean by BMW denying the problem existed, they replaced mine before I had ever even heard about it.

Sounds like you are the kind of girl that takes what you hear on the innanets way too seriously. In that case, I'm a 6'5" solid muscle underwear model and I sold my fingernails to Revlon because all they ever did was peel money and touch bitches.

By the way, your first oil change in that Lexus will cost you $511.00. Cost of every oil change I ever had in the 335 + the replaced HPFP + every other service + 7 tires + 2 wheels over the course of owning the car = $0.

I'll say it again, your borderline-paranoid obsession with reliability leads me to believe that neither the IS-F nor the M3 is the right car for you. I hear the Hyundai Sonata is rock solid these days. It won't make you wet, so just throw some astroglide on the seats. Good luck!

Cheers
~Richard
Wow...I see NO reason YOU should all of a sudden get smart & offensive with me???
I did not insult you in any way?
I, in fact , complimented YOU on your insightful response?
You must have some kind of problem?
So Richard, (or should i just call you DICK? )...Next time you get your oil checked have them check you IQ...perhaps it has fallen below your valve count

Last edited by bimmerbabe69; 10-02-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbabe69 View Post
Wow...I see NO reason YOU should all of a sudden get smart & offensive with me???
I did not insult you in any way?
I, in fact , complimented YOU on your insightful response?
You must have some kind of problem?
So Richard, (or should i just call you DICK? )...Next time you get your oil checked have them check you IQ...perhaps it has fallen below your valve count
Not sure what your taking such great offense to, but i DID have them check my IQ. Not sure what the results were, but they are letting me put my own stickers on my helmet now, so I must have done pretty good!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:53 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Not sure what your taking such great offense to, but i DID have them check my IQ. Not sure what the results were, but they are letting me put my own stickers on my helmet now, so I must have done pretty good!
How about this;
"Sounds like you are the kind of girl that takes what you hear on the innanets way too seriously. In that case, I'm a 6'5" solid muscle underwear model and I sold my fingernails to Revlon because all they ever did was peel money and touch bitches."

or this;
"I'll say it again, your borderline-paranoid obsession with reliability leads me to believe that neither the IS-F nor the M3 is the right car for you. I hear the Hyundai Sonata is rock solid these days. It won't make you wet, so just throw some astroglide on the seats."

ALL, your sarcastic response... to my serious inquiry.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
This entertaining thread just took a turn for the worse... What happened? I see sincerity and sarcasm in every post thus far! IMO the OP opened the door for further "adult" themed posts with her comment about how her car decision ultimately will be somewhat influenced by level of "wetness" etc.

Anyhoo,

OP, have you driven any of the cars you are considering yet? If so what were your impressions? I didn't realize baccarat dealing was a highly remunerative occupation. Very cool!

F10 M5 Alpine/Sakhir

Last edited by mlaynemd; 10-02-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
With respect to reliability, I have owned my M3 for 3 years and have had zero problems. The only trips to the dealer were for scheduled maintenance. That certainly doesn't guarantee anything but these cars are built very well. I have owned three other new BMWs and have had no electrical problems with any of them.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaynemd View Post
This entertaining thread just took a turn for the worse... What happened? I see sincerity and sarcasm in every post thus far! IMO the OP opened the door for further "adult" themed posts with her comment about how her car decision ultimately will be somewhat influenced by level of "wetness" etc.

Anyhoo,

OP, have you driven any of the cars you are considering yet? If so what were your impressions? I didn't realize baccarat dealing was a highly remunerative occupation. Very cool!
Sorry for that...hey sweetie, it's Vegas baby
Maybe I got carried away a bit.
It's very hot.
...and yes, I'm hot!!!

I have driven...and I see what some are saying.
For me it will me the M3, for sure.
So much more focused & intense.
Connecting me with the feel of the drive
That throttle response, that engine pulls & pulls.
And sorry, but made me very wet.
Pure excitement.
Very sensuous drive
Now, which one???

Last edited by bimmerbabe69; 10-02-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
I laughed out loud at the IQ v. valve count.

Do you have a long daily commute in heavy traffic? Do you plan on using this as a weekend / leisure vehicle? How cushy do you want the daily drive to be? What are your primary concerns with regard to performance? Or is this just a pure, sexual autophilia purchase? If it's the latter, PM me. But, really, we need to know what you actually plan on doing with the car to make a decent assessment.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 10-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Quote:
Sorry for that...hey sweetie, it's Vegas baby
Maybe I got carried away a bit.
It's very hot.
...and yes, I'm hot!!!

I have driven...and I see what some are saying.
For me it will me the M3, for sure.
So much more focused & intense.
Connecting me with the feel of the drive
That throttle response, that engine pulls & pulls.
And sorry, but made me very wet.
Pure excitement.
Very sensuous drive
Now, which one???
Are we still talking ///M3 or some form of "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" ....Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
I laughed out loud at the IQ v. valve count.

Do you have a long daily commute in heavy traffic? Do you plan on using this as a weekend / leisure vehicle? How cushy do you want the daily drive to be? What are your primary concerns with regard to performance? Or is this just a pure, sexual autophilia purchase? If it's the latter, PM me. But, really, we need to know what you actually plan on doing with the car to make a decent assessment.
No.
No.
I used to race cycles...it's never about "cushy"?
I like to be pinned in my seat.
S.A. is nice
How 'bout I just M you?

Input & advice appreciated...
...I like men who can deliver the goods
Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
Are we still talking ///M3 or some form of "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" ....Phil
very cute...
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
How about this;
"Sounds like you are the kind of girl that takes what you hear on the innanets way too seriously. In that case, I'm a 6'5" solid muscle underwear model and I sold my fingernails to Revlon because all they ever did was peel money and touch bitches."

or this;
"I'll say it again, your borderline-paranoid obsession with reliability leads me to believe that neither the IS-F nor the M3 is the right car for you. I hear the Hyundai Sonata is rock solid these days. It won't make you wet, so just throw some astroglide on the seats."

ALL, your sarcastic response... to my serious inquiry.

Uh well, in the first case I referencing the fact you can't really put to much credence behind what you read on the internet, it wasn't aimed at anybody personally.

In the latter, you had JUST laid out an accusation that BMW is engaging in some sort of conspiracy to cover up a defect with their product. Conspiracy theories are the manifest of a paranoid mindset, so yeah, I thought borderline-paranoid was an apt descriptor.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
marry me...
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 AM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
No.
No.
I used to race cycles...it's never about "cushy"?
I like to be pinned in my seat.
S.A. is nice
How 'bout I just M you?

Input & advice appreciated...
...I like men who can deliver the goods
Given those requirements I don't see how the ISn't-Fast appeared on the list the first time. I'm inclined to agree with Richard's first post - the only real comparison is maybe horsepower numbers.

That being said, the latest C63 AMG has been heralded as a legitimate M3 competitor of late. If you're able, you should at least give one a shot for comparison's sake.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Uh well, in the first case I referencing the fact you can't really put to much credence behind what you read on the internet, it wasn't aimed at anybody personally.

In the latter, you had JUST laid out an accusation that BMW is engaging in some sort of conspiracy to cover up a defect with their product. Conspiracy theories are the manifest of a paranoid mindset, so yeah, I thought borderline-paranoid was an apt descriptor.

Uh, dickey dear, may I call you Dick...
...If you do some research, and look into the history of the hpfp debacle...early on, you will find a plethora of cases, so many complaints, I have found on the other forums...that popular one, cannot remember the name (M3post or something?) ...where at 1st, early on, BMW denied the problem existed, stuck thier corporate heads in the sand...and gave owners a really hard time about it, until the service depts. at some dealerships were overwhelmed and acknowledged the problem.
do yur homework, like i did before you imply i am just a babe-a-lisous bimbo
I'm a well informed girl, who does not like surprises (except in the boudoir )

Last edited by bimmerbabe69; 10-03-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta Boom View Post
marry me...
Get a droptop...I like it al fresco