Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:27 AM
6 Series go getter

Mein Auto: BMW 645CI
2005 bmw 645ci changed the ivm module and car still acting funny

I took my 2005 645 Ci WITH 68K miles to the dealer ship about 2 months ago after having all the dash lights come on they did a diagnostic test hand told me my IMV module was bad. Since this was a plug and play item I purchased a new one and put it in myself. Now its acting weird and will not stay started without a jump plus a few of the dash lights are on. Let me remind I just bought a new battery a couple of months ago. Recently I had it towed to the shop that works on strictly BMWs and they said the scanner read at 11 volts when it should be charging at 13. Are they trying to get over on me and sell me a new alternator ( $650 by the way or is this probably whats wrong with it. Let me remind you that the diagnostic at the BMW dealer did not show that it needed an alternator.
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I sounds like you have a bad alternator or regulator. You should see about 12.5V with the car off and 14.7V with the car running.

The regulator costs about $30 and is the problem most of the time. Try going to a different shop who can test the alternator to see if it's the regulator or alternator.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 12-29-2014, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Angry

I am new to th forum but this is apparently an old issue. I just replaced my IVM today and it still just cranks but wont turn over. before that I thought I just needed a jump but that didn't work, im at my wits end. did you check your relay for the fuel pump? sadly I cant locate mine in an 07 650i.....
Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by maalikdad1 View Post
I am new to th forum but this is apparently an old issue. I just replaced my IVM today and it still just cranks but wont turn over. before that I thought I just needed a jump but that didn't work, im at my wits end. did you check your relay for the fuel pump? sadly I cant locate mine in an 07 650i.....

Check your battery voltage before cranking. It should be above 12 volts. If the voltage is to low, the engine will not crank. Try putting a 12 hour charge on the battery, & see what happens.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Full charge on the battery, new crankshaft sensor and ivm and fuel pump relay, still cranks but won't turn over, I even disconnected ibs sensor, so I Thought maybe I flooded it. Took a couple of the plugs out checked the chamber looked okay. One did have oil on the threads, cleaned it, tried starting fluid, it would try to turn over but die again. Maybe fuel filter? Pump is working and I'm getting fuel so maybe that? Not sure. Suggestions?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
If the IBS sensor is damaged, it will not crank. Try using a test light to see if your injectors are getting any power? If there is no power there, you probably need to start tracing everything back from the DME. It seems that you have spent quite a bit on parts, so it might pay to have someone with BMW related software to take a look at the car. 150.00 would probably be cheaper than spending anymore money on more parts.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto:
Check all yr fuses I had the same thing happen. I spent all kinds of. Money and it was a 20 cent fuse