Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan
just got a 2011 M3 sedan!

Well the lease on my 335i sedan was coming up so I've been test driving all kinds of cars. I had heard that they quit making the M3 sedan, and I had not even really considered it as an option. So it was quite surprised when i saw a 2011 M3 Sedan on the showroom floor at the BMW dealership. I took it for a drive and instantly forgot about every car I had test drove.

It's not that any of those cars are bad. In fact, I was really struggling to make up my mind. It's amazing the choices you have these days. The Jag XFR, CTS-V, and the AMG's in particular really stood out, just amazing machines, each in their own way.

It's hard to describe what makes the M3 so different. It's the feeling of driving it, the overall sensation you get while behind the wheel. When I started the test drive, a memory popped back into my head. A few years ago out in Vegas I got a chance to drive a Lambo Gallardo for a few laps. That was the last time I felt that sensation...I don't mean the M3 is as fast or handles like a Lambo or anything, just the overall experience; the wail of the engine, the rush of acceleration, clicking off perfect shifts on the DCT, and the feeling that you are in complete control of everything. The M3 does that. None of the other cars I tried even came close. Seriously, I don't think you can get that driving experience until you start talking about cars that cost 3 times the price.

In that context, the M3 is an unbelievable bargain. Add to that the fact that it can still take clients to lunch, pick up a trunk full of stuff from the store, and look good while doing it, and it's hard to imagine that there's a better car out there.

Cheers,
~Richard
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Sedan
I just picked up a 2011 M3 Sedan yesterday. Alpine white/black+fox red. All I can say is I know what you mean. Can't wait until 1200 miles.

What color/options did you get? I got DCT. competition package, nav.

Did you lease or buy? If you leased I am curious in the numbers behind the lease? Could you PM to me? I will PM mine as well.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Nice color choise. The M3 looks really good in white. Mine is the blue-ish black color, Jerez black I think. The interior is also all black. A bit boring compared to some of the other color combos I saw, but it works well in the sedan.

Mine has the DCT as well. At first I was bummed that it wasn't a 6MT. I have never owned an automatic in my life, and I've driven a few SMGs and so-called "semi-autos" before and was really disappointed by them. I really didn't even want to test drive the car after that, but the dealer talked me into it. Boy am I glad he did. The DCT in the M3 is really, really good in manual mode, and although you are giving up some of the fun of rowing your own gears, the satisfaction of the perfect (and awesome sounding) rev-matched downshifts and lightning quick but smooth upshifts make up for it. Here in Dallas, running into stop and go traffic is a daily fact of life, and the auto mode does a decent job in those situations too, although frankly, I don't care much for it. Perhaps someone with more experience with automatic transmissions would have more to say about that.

The DCT is a little tricky at first, rolling out in 1st gear and especially reversing I'm still getting used to. Imagine you are reversing a normal manual transmission car, you are working the brake and gas, and someone else is working the clutch pedal. Thats exactly what it feels like, but I guess that makes sense since that is exactly what is happening.

I didn't get the competition package. I checked out a coupe that had it, thought it was nice but didn't consider it a deal-breaking must-have thing. I'm pretty sure I have everything else except cold weather package, but it does have heated seats.

I'll PM you the other stuff.

The 1200 mile break in is killing me. It's like I have a tall frosty mug of my favorite beer, and all i can do is take little sips! I want to drink deeply of the M3!!

Cheers,
~Richard
Old 10-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Coupe
I know how you both feel about the 1200 miles break-in. I got mine yesterday and the car is amazing. Coming from a 335, it is night and day. I love the roar of the engine.

'11 M3 Coupe
'10 335i xDrive - Will be missed
Old 10-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinlee View Post
I know how you both feel about the 1200 miles break-in. I got mine yesterday and the car is amazing. Coming from a 335, it is night and day. I love the roar of the engine.
Last day of the month was a good day to buy a M3 apparently.

Last edited by Devildog5811; 10-01-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Haha, yeah after I finished the deal on the M3, I got back in my 335 to grab a check from the bank. It felt so different. I used to think in my mind that the M3 was essentially just a faster version of the 335i, because that is what I was finding when I was out testing different cars. The CTS-V, for example, feels like a regular CTS with a Saturn V rocket motor in it. The E63 AMG was better, but essentially, the AMG treatment feels like its applied over the top of the E 550.

The M3 feels nothing like it's 3 series roots. In fact, except for the basic shape and layout, I don't see, hear or feel ANYTHING in common with the rest of the 3 series. Even the floor mats and the upholstery have a different feel to them.

Having said that, I loved my 335, a fantastic car. Hop in that bad boy after a hard day at work, slam into second, and let an avalanche of turbo torque destroy whatever negative thoughts were on your mind.

Speaking of which, I guess I should pop on to the classifieds and see if anyone wants a sweet deal on a JB+ and a BT cable.

Cheers
~Richard
Old 10-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1138 View Post
. I took it for a drive and instantly forgot about every car I had test drove.
same thing happend to me....
this is a one kind of a ar. We are so lucky and priviledged to have it
its not about the money people will drop 50-50K for a crappy SUV
here its about the brains to have to realize this is "A CAR"
Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1138 View Post
The M3 feels nothing like it's 3 series roots. In fact, except for the basic shape and layout, I don't see, hear or feel ANYTHING in common with the rest of the 3 series. Even the floor mats and the upholstery have a different feel to them.
so true..
its a different Car