Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 AM
X3cellent! X3cellent! is offline
Registered User
Location: St Louis
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: X3
Best bike carrier for 2007 x3

I have been trying to decide for sometime what the best bike carrier would be for me. I cannot decide if the roof one would be good. The bike is a trek and is pretty heavy to lift over my head. I see there is a bike holder that is placed in the back compartment inside the car, but afraid will scratch the inside. I do not have a hitch on the back of my car. This would be the most expensive option and not sure if it is advisable to put an aftermarket hitch on a X3. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 10-04-2011, 07:39 AM
mlukas161's Avatar
mlukas161 mlukas161 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WNY
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 933
Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
I use a Thule roof mount system for our mountain bikes. I wouldnt want a muddy bike in the back of the X3.

Hitch mount would be nice. It's more expensive but it has a few pros.
1.) Better gas mileage than a roof mount system
2.) easier to load bikes
3.) can fit on other vehicles with a hitch
4.) better for shorter people and/or heavy bikes

Hitch Mount Cons:
1.) more expensive
2.) Can interfere with the lift gate access
3.) Bikes can get dirty with road grime
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 AM
spokelizard spokelizard is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 755
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I have the interior rack for my road bike, but wouldn't recommend it for a muddy mountain bike. But it doesn't scratch the interior, if that's your only concern.

Have you considered a roof rack+ bike lift (since yours is too heavy to lift easily)? It's on the accessory list, but I don't know anyone who has actually used one. Here's the link: Roof rack lift at BMWUSA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2011, 02:05 PM
jarrodweaver jarrodweaver is offline
Registered User
Location: Georgetown, Texas (Austin)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to jarrodweaver
Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I installed the hitch on my X3 and use a hitch carrier. This is by far the easiest way (if you don't count the hitch install) to load and unload 1 - 4 bikes.
__________________

Jarrod Weaver
Georgetown, Texas
1987 - 535is
2004 - 525
2006 - X3 3.0i
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 AM
buzzlb buzzlb is offline
Registered User
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 2004 X3
I have a hitch mount tray that I mounted truck bed front fork quick release. Much less $$ than a bike rack and you can haul 200lbs of stuff you do not want inside; mulch, bricks, and other dirty stuff....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM
spokelizard spokelizard is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 755
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlb View Post
I have a hitch mount tray that I mounted truck bed front fork quick release. Much less $$ than a bike rack and you can haul 200lbs of stuff you do not want inside; mulch, bricks, and other dirty stuff....
Do you have a picture with the bike?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,528
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Can't speak to bikes, but hitch rack trays are great! Had one on my Tahoe and it was a jewel for hauling the stuff you didn't want to carry inside (steer manure!) sounds like it would be a great idea for bikes too -- and not just a "single purpose" thing like a bike rack.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 AM
ghpup ghpup is offline
Glfbggy
Location: Idaho
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
+1 for the hitch mount. While this is expensive, it is much easier and is multi-use. I do use a roof mounted rack system for a cargo box (basically ski carrier), but I am not sure I'd want to lift a bike up that high let alone worry about potential clearance issues driving around...(how many low hanging branches are out there or low clearance drive throughs - ATMs, pharmacies, etc....)
__________________
GLFBGGY
'00 MRoadster, '00 528, '07X3si
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 AM
DEAN@EXECUHITCH DEAN@EXECUHITCH is offline
Past Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 69
Mein Auto:
Hitch for bike rack from Execuhitch

Check out Execuhitch for an excellent solution to your tow hitch needs!
www.execuhitch.com
www.youtube.com keyword: execuhitch
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Dominic49's Avatar
Dominic49 Dominic49 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 245
Mein Auto: Bmw
except that the execuhitch option doesn't have a 2" receiver....


edit:

nvm found an adapter on the accessories page.

Last edited by Dominic49; 10-12-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
ghpup ghpup is offline
Glfbggy
Location: Idaho
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 272
Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN@EXECUHITCH View Post
Check out Execuhitch for an excellent solution to your tow hitch needs!
www.execuhitch.com
www.youtube.com keyword: execuhitch
The challenge I have with your website is that it only lists hitches for current vehicle models. That is, the hitch compatible with the F25 model, not the E83. Same is true of the hitches compatible with the 5series.....F10 hitches not E39.....how does one get info on later model compatibility or product?
__________________
GLFBGGY
'00 MRoadster, '00 528, '07X3si
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2012, 09:31 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,981
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I recently bit the bullet and finally got a new mountain bike. For years I've had no issues with transport in my slightly smaller hardtail bike, but this new Kona Coilair is probably the most exciting thing that's happened to me in a long, long time.

However, it doesn't fit very well due to its chunky build and long travel- it's a Freeride bike. Well, it fits alright if I take the front wheel off, but even then I'm smearing mud all over the front seatbacks and side backseat bolsters. In an ideal world, I'd get one of those hitch-mounted bike carriers so I can just put my bike on the carrier and secure it without mess or taking parts off. I already nearly lost my 20mm thru axle once.......

How expensive and hard is it to install a hitch? The OEM one looks to be over $400, plus installation, plus I'd have to buy the bike carrier which is another $300+, putting it well beyond what I'd want to spend. So am I SOL?
__________________
Current consumption: 2014 Mazda3 GT

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 03-24-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-25-2012, 10:51 AM
ducx3 ducx3 is offline
sapper
Location: AK49
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
I use a roof mounted rack myself. The x3 is low enough for me to get my hardtail on it without too much trouble. I'm 5-11, but if I were shorter, it would be much more of a hassle. Also, the rack sans bike significantly increases wind noise and reduces MPG by about 2.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
ngcreese's Avatar
ngcreese ngcreese is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Annapolis, MD
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I recently bit the bullet and finally got a new mountain bike. For years I've had no issues with transport in my slightly smaller hardtail bike, but this new Kona Coilair is probably the most exciting thing that's happened to me in a long, long time.

However, it doesn't fit very well due to its chunky build and long travel- it's a Freeride bike. Well, it fits alright if I take the front wheel off, but even then I'm smearing mud all over the front seatbacks and side backseat bolsters. In an ideal world, I'd get one of those hitch-mounted bike carriers so I can just put my bike on the carrier and secure it without mess or taking parts off. I already nearly lost my 20mm thru axle once.......

How expensive and hard is it to install a hitch? The OEM one looks to be over $400, plus installation, plus I'd have to buy the bike carrier which is another $300+, putting it well beyond what I'd want to spend. So am I SOL?
1) Ask what it might cost if you have a BMWCCA discount ( should be in the low $300s ).

2) Installing the rear hitch for the x3 is really easy to do yourself and takes the majority of a Saturday afternoon to accomplish.

3) Plus you can then use rental trailers for hauling larger stuff... and trailers are waaayyy cheaper than renting a uhaul truck.

It may seem more expensive at first, but the the trailer hitch + hitch mounted bike carrier is the way to go...


__________________
'11 X3 xDrive35i -- Coded
'07 X3 3.0si -- Coded & Traded
'91 e30 325i -- Sold

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by ngcreese; 03-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,981
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Guess I'll have to start saving again.......by the time I have the money I may be getting ready to replace the X3 (too thirsty) and unwilling to invest money in a hitch.

Won't do a rooftop mount ever. I'm only 173cm (5 foot 8), plus I would never drive autobahn speeds with stuff on the roof, especially a bike worth over 1/3rd the value of the car itself!

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 03-26-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcreese View Post

3) Plus you can then use rental trailers for haul larger stuff... and trailers are waaayyy cheaper than renting a uhaul truck.
And you don't pay mileage on trailers.

A while back I had a knuckle dragger in a jacked up bubba truck make a smart a$$ comment about how little my X3 would hold. I replied "yeah but it will go from here to NC on 15 gallons of gas and I have 4x6 utility trailer I use to carry the big stuff". It left him speechless.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 AM
usaret usaret is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: All Over
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 918
Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Guess I'll have to start saving again.......by the time I have the money I may be getting ready to replace the X3 (too thirsty) and unwilling to invest money in a hitch.

Won't do a rooftop mount ever. I'm only 173cm (5 foot 8), plus I would never drive autobahn speeds with stuff on the roof, especially a bike worth over 1/3rd the value of the car itself!
If you have the space to store it I recommend a Yakima Trailer.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/trailers/...ck-and-roll-66

That way you can get any car you want and still bring your toys. When our X3 is paid off we're planning on getting a Mini Roadster and the RackandRoll will be the perfect way to carry our bikes and extra gear.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 AM
driveme.julie driveme.julie is offline
Registered User
Location: UTAH
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2005
I finally bought the perfect rear mount KUAT bike rack, the burnt orange and graphite colors match my cinnamon leather and highlander green X3 perfectly. ...the matching is maybe a girl thing. So, now I have to get the trailer hitch installed. My repair guy that only uses BMW parts quotes me $775 total for the hitch and install. My X3 is a 2005 with 118k miles, I do the regular maintenance and have had no major problems. Is is worth it to spend that much on a hitch when the car is this old? I've looked at pics online of some installs and they look like crap because you have to cut into the bumper. Is this a reasonable DIY project? How many miles can I expect to get out of my X3? ....just seems like a lot to haul around my bikes, but I'm just not tall enough or strong enough to do a roof mount option and risk scratching my car or dropping my bike.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Dominic49's Avatar
Dominic49 Dominic49 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 245
Mein Auto: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by driveme.julie View Post
I finally bought the perfect rear mount KUAT bike rack, the burnt orange and graphite colors match my cinnamon leather and highlander green X3 perfectly. ...the matching is maybe a girl thing. So, now I have to get the trailer hitch installed. My repair guy that only uses BMW parts quotes me $775 total for the hitch and install. My X3 is a 2005 with 118k miles, I do the regular maintenance and have had no major problems. Is is worth it to spend that much on a hitch when the car is this old? I've looked at pics online of some installs and they look like crap because you have to cut into the bumper. Is this a reasonable DIY project? How many miles can I expect to get out of my X3? ....just seems like a lot to haul around my bikes, but I'm just not tall enough or strong enough to do a roof mount option and risk scratching my car or dropping my bike.
hitch install took me around 1.5 hours Hitch is around $150 online

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2005_BMW_X3.htm

if you want to tow a trailer at some point the electronics is another $100 from the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 AM
driveme.julie driveme.julie is offline
Registered User
Location: UTAH
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2005
I talked to my repair guy again, the BMW with the electronics and programing install is $775. I think I'll have him do it. He said that when the hitch is installed with the programing done, it alters the way the BMW responds to the additional weight from hauling something with the hitch. Sounds like a better way to go for longevity and decreasing potential wear and tear.

FYI, if anyone is in SLC, my guy is Alex at Bimmer Motor Works. He's great, has done all my repairs and maintenance work. Uses only BMW parts and costs less than a dealership repair.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Dominic49's Avatar
Dominic49 Dominic49 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 245
Mein Auto: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by driveme.julie View Post
I talked to my repair guy again, the BMW with the electronics and programing install is $775. I think I'll have him do it. He said that when the hitch is installed with the programing done, it alters the way the BMW responds to the additional weight from hauling something with the hitch. Sounds like a better way to go for longevity and decreasing potential wear and tear.

FYI, if anyone is in SLC, my guy is Alex at Bimmer Motor Works. He's great, has done all my repairs and maintenance work. Uses only BMW parts and costs less than a dealership repair.
Julie. Take a look at the instructions that BMW provides to their techs yourself and try and find details about the programming involved. (Hint there is no programming)

https://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/ins369.pdf

Last edited by Dominic49; 06-23-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 989
Mein Auto: X3
Best bike carrier for 2007 x3

Julie--

The hitch kit with the harness module from the parts counter is about $350 if my memory is right. That is a bit steep for install but it is a bit involved. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to do in my garage but I was going slow.

Here are the instructions I used:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...h-2006-x3.html

Dominick is right no programming is required. The kit comes with an interface module that does the work the installer is talking about. Your car is pre wired to accept the module with the harness tucked away in a cubby just above the battery area.

Enjoy the hitch and bike rack. I have a Thule kit that I use.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 AM
driveme.julie driveme.julie is offline
Registered User
Location: UTAH
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2005
Okay, I think I'm reconsidering the DIY. Thanks for the links on instructions for the install.

Julie
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM
driveme.julie driveme.julie is offline
Registered User
Location: UTAH
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2005
Does anyone have a source for getting the actual BMW hitch parts for a reasonable price? I like the BMW trailer hitch better than the ones I've seen that mount underneath and span the spare tire.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 AM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 989
Mein Auto: X3
Best bike carrier for 2007 x3

I bought mine from my local BMW dealer parts counter. They had it in stock.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bike carrier for x3


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms