Solution for rusty wheel hubs - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Solution for rusty wheel hubs

Hello everyone,

I am new here, wanted to say hi and share some ideas i had about preventing rust on my new 2011 328. I would also be interested to know more in the overall rust prevention on other areas of this particular model.

It`s crazy how after only 1 month i started to see rust spread from the base of the wheel hub (where it connects to the rotor) to the outer edge. Especially this is visible on the rear wheels. I live in Montreal, where its humid almost all the time and the winter is unforgiving to those naked metal parts...

Basically i wanted to paint the wheel hubs and profit from the occasion to paint the calipers too! IN RED! I know this is very common "procedure" so i felt confident about this one. At the end it turned out to be more about calipers than the hubs.

The most difficult part was manipulating the calipers, since i didn't want to disassemble them. They are pretty heavy and are attached with the hydraulic cable. This cable i must say is sturdy, but it still gave me hard time during the whole process.

Here are some pics i took while doing it. This is 1st time i did something myself on the 328 other than tinting the windows.

enjoy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilusha5...7627809538550/
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3 & X3
Looks good! It will be interesting to see if the hubs stay pretty over the winter.

Welcome to bimmerfest!
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
'17 M3
Old 10-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Outside looking in

Mein Auto: 2015 Mustang GT
You probably shouldn't have painted the face of the hub that contacts the wheel. Eventually this will peel/crack at different rates, affecting the contact with the rim and could lead to your wheels wobbling, and in the very extreme case break your lugnuts. I would sand off the paint at your next opportunity and save yourself some grief further down the road

Did you paint the calipers with the brake pads still in them? It is tough to tell. Did you paint the anti-rattle spring separately, or still on the caliper? This all looks a bit scary to me.
My Little Pony
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335
The biggest problem with rusty hubs is the wheel binding to the hub. Best to coat the hub where there is wheel contact with anti seize compound. The paint can help but with where you have different metals in contact like cast iron and aluminum you can get corrosion.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
This all looks a bit scary to me.
Hehe this is not scary
At one point i couldn't put the bolt back in, to attach the brakes, because the ridge on the bolt was messed up driving with 1 break bolt instead of 2 to go buy the replacement - this is scary !

Agree about the face of the wheel hub. It was too tempting since this part starts to rust very quickly, probably because of the mentioned different materials coming in contact with each other.

ll do a test today to see how the paint is behaving, worst case i'll just wire brush it off, which i dont want to do, defeats the purpose a little...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Outside looking in

Mein Auto: 2015 Mustang GT
Darwinian Version
EMT#1: The poor bastard's wheel fell off
EMT#2: Yeah, but look...there isn't a spot of rust on the hubs

Greek Tragedy Version
EMT#1: His wheel came off, he lost it for a while, clipped that minivan and sent it spiralling into the barrier
EMT#2: Poor bastards didn't have a chance, they never knew what hit them.
EMT#1: Hey! Kid! What did you use on your hubs to keep them so rust free?
My Little Pony
Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Porsche Boxster S
nice job.....looks great......enjoy

2013 X5
Old 10-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
I honestly can't see a spec of rust on mine after 32k miles and 2+ years. Granted, I don't obsess over it but every time I wash the car, I never notice rust in the areas you painted, and I do look a little since it has been reported here.

So does this issue primarily affect people using car washes vs hand washing? Certain harsh wheel sprays/cleaners? Harsh winters in Montreal vs. no winter in Texas?

Just wondering what I am doing "wrong" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM

I hand wash it and it never saw a single winter.

My Nissan Altima brakes started to rust after 6 months and Nissan are considered to be somewhat rust resistant over here.

So i guess location, location, location....

UPDATE:

Here's how rear wheels looked before i painted them (this car is 4 months old)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilusha55/6212684285/

Last edited by ilusha55; 10-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Dude Magnet
Great project, I've been wondering if there was something wrong with my hubs/brakes, etc.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi coupe
My 2007 started rusting after about six months. I bought this stuff by a company called pure. It is a multi step process. first painting with a sealant then, with a primer, then what ever color finish paint you want. They ensure you that it will not rust or peel. It is just a long process with 5-6 hr. drying time between each step. I haven't used it yet, but a friend of mine did and his car looks great, and has not rusted since.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madone E92 View Post
My 2007 started rusting after about six months. I bought this stuff by a company called pure. It is a multi step process. first painting with a sealant then, with a primer, then what ever color finish paint you want. They ensure you that it will not rust or peel. It is just a long process with 5-6 hr. drying time between each step. I haven't used it yet, but a friend of mine did and his car looks great, and has not rusted since.
Rust is one thing, galvanic corrosion of the hub and aluminum wheel is another. It may still be necessary to wire brush the hub (and wheel) each year...paint won't overcome galvanic corrosion IMO. Not sure if salt is applied to roads in Canada. Other than that, the OP's calipers look great.
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search