Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Performance Center Delivery

Performance Center Delivery
Are you interested in picking up your new BMW at the Performance Delivery Center in beautiful South Carolina? Get all your questions about picking up your car answered here by staff from the Performance Delivery Center and other members who have already had the experience! ... View the PDC Wiki -- View the Delivery Date Calendar -- Add Your Delivery Date to the Calendar

Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be X3
Is this too much to try to do?

Hi everyone,

Long time visitor, first time poster. Thank you to everyone who has provided such great info; we finally made the plunge and are going to be first time BMW owners.

And especially after reading posts in this section, we were determined that we wanted to do PCD, no question!

However, as in life, things are never quite as simple as you would like them to be.

We placed our order last week, with the PCD reservation, and today, our CA forwarded us the email from the Performance Center.

It said based on our production number, and overwhelming demand for PCD, they can give us 1 available date, and that's it. So either we take it, or we can't do PCD. Oh, and it's "a tentative delivery date" at this point.

Here's the dilemma: we live in the Washington, DC area. We need to be on a cross-country flight at 10:00 am the day after the PCD date.

So that would mean go down the night before PCD, do it, then drive back to DC the same day, grab a couple hours of sleep if that, then head to the airport. This would mean nothing can go wrong- bad weather, bad accidents/traffic, anything.

We want to do the PCD so bad- arggghhh. Is it worth going through all this???? Based on your experiences, how long can we realistically expect it to take back to DC on a Tuesday?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2011, 04:07 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Hmmmm, PCD delivery like ED requires the luxury of some flexibility in your schedule.

I wouldn't turn this into a stressful event .... it should be fun.

Have read, not done this, that you might well be entitled to a day at the PDC subsequent to taking delivery at your home dealer.

You might also wait a little and see if the "one day" frees up a little even though it might mean waiting a few more weeks for your new ride.

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Welcome by the way

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks Laser. You would not believe how excited we are to be getting a BMW. It pretty much took a year plus of setting the goal, budgeting, doubting whether we could do it, and finally saying YES!

We would totally be flexible to any date earlier or later, but I guess the PCD is unbelievably busy now... the email did not offer alternate dates, or the opportunity to wait any longer. It said this is the date, if the client can't do it, then the CA was directed to submit the cancellation form, and it also said if we didn't reply within 3 business days, the date would be assigned to someone else.

If we can do it, I think we will do everything we can to; the appeal of the PCD experience seems that great!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
What about driving to Charlotte or an airport further north the day of delivery? Google says it's nearly 8 1/2 hours back to Washington, D. C.. You could leave the PC as soon as maybe noon if you skip the delivery part and lunch. We were ready to leave about 2pm after lunch and delivery so that would put you home after 10pm. I don't like arriving that late and then leaving again but it could work. It would seem to work best to fly out of Charlotte if the flights were also cheaper and you have the flexibility to drive home after your trip. Parking at Charlotte is cheap but the parking spots are small in extended term. I think it's only $3/day. When I drive the bimmer to the Charlotte airport I typically park in the daily garage. I forget if it's $6 or $8/day. Raleigh and Richmond are other possibilities.

Jim
Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X35D M-Sport
We just did a PCD and live in MD suburb of DC. I drove to I-81 near Roanoke after delivery, spent the night, than back home next day. I would certainly recommend against trying to do the return trip the day of PCD. Enjoy the PCD and take your time. It is well worth arranging things to do so.

2011 335d: sold
2008 535xi: in lease heaven
Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking that we'll have to fly into Charlotte the night before; I'm guessing the fares there would be much more reasonable than at the smaller airport near the Marriott.

On the way back though, unfortunately we are locked into the flights, as we need to travel with other people. The plane tickets have been bought, non-refundable, change fees basically equal to the cost of the ticket. So, the one thing we know for sure is that we will be at BWI (Baltimore) for that 10am flight.

But you're right about leaving early. Those couple/few hours could make a world of difference. I was factoring in a 10 hour drive to take into account breaks, traffic, etc.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I did a similar route over two days. After the PCD I went to Charlotte, which is relatively close. Then I went to DC the next day. That will be a tough slog, especially after being up so early for the PCD. I was alone driving, but if you can share the driving, that will be a plus that will make it doable. Assuming that you want to do all of the activities, I'd suggest you arrange beforehand that you are in the earlier factory tour group. I was in it by chance, which puts the delivery as the last thing you do during the day. After you get back from the factory and do the off road course, it is about lunch time. Eat quick and get the delivery done as soon as possible, so that you can leave right afterwards. They will take as long as you want with the delivery. Since you are new to BMW, I'd also suggest first reading the manual and getting yourself oriented with BMW-ology.

It will be tough, but doable. What is good is that you will be experiencing rush hour in areas that aren't that bad. On my trip, I was arriving in DC in the rain towards the tail end of the evening rush, and I was going through Richmond at the start of the rush. So I got hit with traffic in both areas. I took 85 to 95.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoBMWFamily View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking that we'll have to fly into Charlotte the night before; I'm guessing the fares there would be much more reasonable than at the smaller airport near the Marriott.

On the way back though, unfortunately we are locked into the flights, as we need to travel with other people. The plane tickets have been bought, non-refundable, change fees basically equal to the cost of the ticket. So, the one thing we know for sure is that we will be at BWI (Baltimore) for that 10am flight.

But you're right about leaving early. Those couple/few hours could make a world of difference. I was factoring in a 10 hour drive to take into account breaks, traffic, etc.
How about this....
Do PCD as scheduled, then drive to CLT. Get a round trip ticket from CLT to BWI so that you can keep your original reservations but still make it on time. Air Tran (are they still in business ?) or SWA has reasonable flights from CLT to BWI.
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
<my other German

Mein Auto: 05 545i
I would "make" them give me a more convenient date. If you have to delay pick-up, go ahead. The Performance Center is wads of fun. Further, the roads going north out of Greenville and into the mountains are really beautiful. It would be a shame not to make more of a vacation out of it, and enjoy the drive home, rather than just jumping on the interstate in the dark. Good luck.

2005 545i, black on black, sport, prem, cold, fold down seats - sold

2005 545i, 6 speed MANUAL, black sapphire, auburn interior, sport, prem, comfort seats, fold down rear seats - deceased
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: '14 335 GT & '12 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
How about this....
Do PCD as scheduled, then drive to CLT. Get a round trip ticket from CLT to BWI so that you can keep your original reservations but still make it on time. Air Tran (are they still in business ?) or SWA has reasonable flights from CLT to BWI.
Unfortunately, SWA does not fly to CLT. However they do fly to GSP, the airport very close to the Performance Delivery Center, but I do not know when flights to BWI are scheduled. It is worth looking into flights to GSP because the presence of SWA may have forced other carriers to be price competitive, and CLT flights are expensive because of US Airways near monopoly.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your tips and info. We decided to go for it. We'll beg for an extra day off before the PCD date, and try to get in the scenic stuff before we get to Greenville. And then just rush back to DC immediately afterwards.

Flying to BWI the day of the flight was a good suggestion, but I can't make it work, because I won't be able to take the time off to come back to get the car.

But at any rate, now we are just really looking forward to it, I hope it's every bit as great as everyone says!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i

One more suggestion. The delivery experience is made up of 3 "rotations"...drive, plant tour, and actual delivery. If you're comfortable with the car, ie, you don't need someone to explain the nuances of your new car, then you can forgo the delivery and leave early. You should request that when you arrive so they can schedule the driving part and the plant tour in the morning, before lunch. I would stay for lunch (you have to eat somewhere, right ?), but leave right after the hot lap.
1998 Z3 2.8L retired
Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Tom, your guidance is always spot on but the OP is a first time BMW owner.

The orientation of the new car is so thorough at the PDC I would hesitate to miss it.

Local dealer new vehicle orientations pale in comparison ........ there are some esoteric BMW features ..... like the red / blue wheel temp control on the dash!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d and 2011 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoBMWFamily View Post
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your tips and info. We decided to go for it. We'll beg for an extra day off before the PCD date, and try to get in the scenic stuff before we get to Greenville. And then just rush back to DC immediately afterwards.

Flying to BWI the day of the flight was a good suggestion, but I can't make it work, because I won't be able to take the time off to come back to get the car.

But at any rate, now we are just really looking forward to it, I hope it's every bit as great as everyone says!
talk to PCD folks. It is my understanding from my service dealer that you can take delivery of new BMW from your local dealer and still go down and do PCD track time, tour, etc. even if you have taken the delivery from the local dealer.....check into this....would allow you to schedule the PCD experience when you get back from your trip.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: F80 and F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savheagle View Post
talk to PCD folks. It is my understanding from my service dealer that you can take delivery of new BMW from your local dealer and still go down and do PCD track time, tour, etc. even if you have taken the delivery from the local dealer.....check into this....would allow you to schedule the PCD experience when you get back from your trip.
That's accurate its called PCD101. You would have to pay half of the cost $250 and the center picks up the other half.

On Order:15 Ferrari Cali T
Current:15 M3,15 F01
Previous:15 M4'14 Quotroporte V8tt'14 F33 EB2,14 Ferrari Cali,14 F15 N63tu,13 991 C4S Cab,14 F15 N63tu,11 W212W4d,13 Chrysler T&C,13 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park,13 F12,13 W212W4,12 E70d,12 F01 hybrid,12 MDX, '11 LS3 Camaro Cab,12 E70d,11 E89,11 GLK350,11 E70,11 C300,10 MDX,09 E93, 09 Civic,07 E70,06 E90,05CR-V SE,04Accord EXLV6, 01Accord EXLV6,00 Maxima,93 E190,91Accord,88Accord,86Accord