Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Tint added

Finally got the tint done. 3M Carbon 20 percent all around and 80 percent in the windshield just to keep the heat down. Works really great too. Paid 275 for the whole job with lifetime and nationwide warranty from Solar Control in Ocean Springs Ms. Makes the car look so much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00838.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	295763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00837.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	295764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00836.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	295765  
Ads by Google
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
That is sharp - makes a great car look even better..
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: MY12 535i, MY07 530i
Looks great!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Really really nice. My new 335d finally arrived, had to put Mr. Ugly (plate) on the front, because my office is right across from the police station. Right across. Those guys are EVERYWHERE giving tickets. They even came onto our property on their motorcycles to look for expired tags. Can't risk tinted windows I have seen them pull up infront of cars at stop lights and look back to see if the plate is there.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibearstie View Post
Really really nice. My new 335d finally arrived, had to put Mr. Ugly (plate) on the front, because my office is right across from the police station. Right across. Those guys are EVERYWHERE giving tickets. They even came onto our property on their motorcycles to look for expired tags. Can't risk tinted windows I have seen them pull up infront of cars at stop lights and look back to see if the plate is there.
Well good thing I have medical exemption with the doctors note so I don't have to worry about tint laws
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I'm the board Nazi as far as tints are concerned so I will say it and then leave you alone.

An 80% tint on the windshield is the same thing as driving at night while wearing sunglasses. It is putting others at risk.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Sorry to be the simple-man here, but I have never heard of putting tint on the windshield of a car until I started reading these forums. So this is actually dark tint, like standard tint on the side and rear windows of cars, that is applied to the windshield? Is that typical of high-end cars, or is this a BMW thing? I live in North Texas, where incredibly hot summers make tint an absolute. I can't quite get my head around the windshield though...

Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I'm the board Nazi as far as tints are concerned so I will say it and then leave you alone.

An 80% tint on the windshield is the same thing as driving at night while wearing sunglasses. It is putting others at risk.
Its not as dark as you think. In fact you can't really tell its there. Now if it was 20 percent that might be a little dangerous. 80 percent is pretty light. I just did it to keep the heat down in the car. It gets really hot here in the south.. It actually works too. Made me a believer. I will try to take better pics so you can see.

Last edited by GunsBMW; 10-03-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 PM
BMWofLAW

Mein Auto: 11F10, 08X5 4.8i, 11e90
I wear my sunglasses at night so I can so I can...... How did you get a medical note for tint? Looks good! Tint makes a BMW look even better if you ask me. I have had all three tinted within the first week of delivery.
"You must, therefore know that there are two means of fighting: one according to the laws, the other with force; the first way is proper to man, the second to beasts; but because the first, in many cases, is not sufficient, it becomes necessary to have recourse to the second." -- Niccolo Machiavelli
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
I have been muling the idea of tinting the windshield as well. 80% sounds about right.

How do you handle the stickers you have to apply to the windshield (here in NY: registration + inspection). You cannot just stick them on the tint, right?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeoflaw View Post
I wear my sunglasses at night so I can so I can...... How did you get a medical note for tint? Looks good! Tint makes a BMW look even better if you ask me. I have had all three tinted within the first week of delivery.
I am a Physician Assistant in the military and one my friends is an Eye doctor. He wrote me a doctors not for severe photophobia recommend tint on vehicle and I took that to where I get my registration done. That's how I got the medical exemption.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I have been muling the idea of tinting the windshield as well. 80% sounds about right.

How do you handle the stickers you have to apply to the windshield (here in NY: registration + inspection). You cannot just stick them on the tint, right?
Here in Mississippi we have to get inspections as well. So what the guy did was get some lamination and put the sticker on that and just attached that to the windshield. Peels right off when you need to renew your inspection. My base sticker is on the outside windshield so I don't have to worry about that. But regardless tint is illegal on the windshield but 80 percent is so light you can't even tell it's there. I just use it for UV protection. You got to protect ur investment.
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I had a 70% SunTek tint applied to my windshield with 35% on the other windows.

The windshield tint had a slight haze effect in low angle early morning or late afternoon sun conditions and just drove me crazy so I had it removed.

Can't stand anything on the windshield. Maybe just me!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsBMW View Post
I am a Physician Assistant in the military and one my friends is an Eye doctor. He wrote me a doctors not for severe photophobia recommend tint on vehicle and I took that to where I get my registration done. That's how I got the medical exemption.
get the front reflector done in the same color of the car and you're done. love the tint.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 10-04-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
get the front reflector done in the same color of the car and you're done. love the tint.
I know just need a good place to get them from.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I had a 70% SunTek tint applied to my windshield with 35% on the other windows.

The windshield tint had a slight haze effect in low angle early morning or late afternoon sun conditions and just drove me crazy so I had it removed.

Can't stand anything on the windshield. Maybe just me!
Nope its not just you I can't stand it either,I think it cheapens the look of the car but thats just my opinion.

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsBMW View Post
Its not as dark as you think. In fact you can't really tell its there. Now if it was 20 percent that might be a little dangerous. 80 percent is pretty light. I just did it to keep the heat down in the car. It gets really hot here in the south.. It actually works too. Made me a believer. I will try to take better pics so you can see.
The heat reduction you are feeling is probably from the side windows. BMW already uses thermal glass that rejects Infrared so the front tint is not necessary. 20% less light at night is what it is. Plus you have a lot less light in the side windows at night which affects peripheral vision.

I wish the government cracked down on this sort of thing. I often encounter guys with tinted windows trying to shift into my lane at night without seeing me. Hard to see a black car through a side window with a 30% tint. It's definitely a risk.

I'm sure you are a very good driver, but less light at night cannot be a good thing. If the tints were photochromic that would be better.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
The heat reduction you are feeling is probably from the side windows. BMW already uses thermal glass that rejects Infrared so the front tint is not necessary. 20% less light at night is what it is. Plus you have a lot less light in the side windows at night which affects peripheral vision.

I wish the government cracked down on this sort of thing. I often encounter guys with tinted windows trying to shift into my lane at night without seeing me. Hard to see a black car through a side window with a 30% tint. It's definitely a risk.

I'm sure you are a very good driver, but less light at night cannot be a good thing. If the tints were photochromic that would be better.
Thanks for your opinion but believe me this ain't the first car I own with 20 percent tint. Haven't had a problem yet.. Hell I had 5 percent on my Accord a few years back... I like it and that is all that really matters. Thanks again for your opinion

Last edited by GunsBMW; 10-04-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Quote:

The thermal glass/ windshield you are thinking of is an option that is not avail from BMW in the USA.

OP did explain it already: at 80%, you can barely tell it's there and it poses no significant danger, certainly not in the propensions you are alluding to.

And the cops do enforce the ban. I cannot imagine someone with < 35% windshield tint not getting pulled over.

Looking forward to the photochromic tint though....
Old 10-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
the thermal glass/ windshield you are thinking of is an option that is not avail from bmw in the usa.

Op did explain it already: At 80%, you can barely tell it's there and it poses no significant danger, certainly not in the propensions you are alluding to.

And the cops do enforce the ban. I cannot imagine someone with < 35% windshield tint not getting pulled over.

Looking forward to the photochromic tint though....
1+...I would post better pics of the windshield but is hard to do with sun blaring. My signature pic doesn't do it any justice. Also I dont notice haze at all.

Last edited by GunsBMW; 10-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

The picture should be taken early in the morning or at the end of the day (for better lighting) at an angle with the car under clear sky to avoid reflections on the glass. That should do it.

Meant to ask you: if your registration sticker is affixed to the windshield itself (beneath the tint), how do you handle its replacement? Or is it that it doesn't expire like here in NY?

Would love to be able to register the car in a state that imposes no silly stickers on the windshield and no front plate.

Last edited by octopump; 10-04-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
The picture should be taken early in the morning or at the end of the day (for better lighting) at an angle with the car under clear sky to avoid reflections on the glass. That should do it.

Meant to ask you: if you registration sticker is affixed to the windshield itself (underneath the tint), how to handle its replacement? Or is it that it doesn't expire like here in NY?

Would love to be able to register the car in a state that imposes no silly stickers on the windshield and no front plate.
We actually took the sticker off the windshield applied the tint and then attached the sticker with the laminate backing. Sticks really well and can even pull it off and reapply as needed
Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Ah ok, this part had me confused: "My base sticker is on the outside windshield so I don't have to worry about that."

Thought you had done that for the inspection sticker only. This makes more sense. Would you mind posting a close-up from inside the car of what it looks like?

Severe photophobia... love it!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Ah ok, this part had me confused: "My base sticker is on the outside windshield so I don't have to worry about that."

Thought you had done that for the inspection sticker only. This makes more sense. Would you mind posting a close-up from inside the car of what it looks like?

Severe photophobia... love it!
Here is better pics. Taken underneath carport. Also what I mean about base sticker is the military base. Got to have your car register on the base that you are attached to and those stickers are placed on the outside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00837 2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	295922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00838 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	295923   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00839 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	295924  

Last edited by GunsBMW; 10-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

The tint looks great/ adequate. As expected, you can hardly tell it's on.
Your installer also seems to have done a very clean job at it.

The registration stickers in NY are designed in such a way that once applied, you cannot remove them and keep them intact. It is possible to order a new one from the DMV for a nominal fee I believe.

So the way they were laminated and applied on the tint film, doesn't seem to have damaged the tint at all? Thinking of annual renewals, re-applications.
What's the method to attach the laminated stickers to the tinted windshield? Any sort of adhesive?

Last edited by octopump; 10-05-2011 at 08:11 AM.