Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-04-2011, 03:05 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
IPhone vs. Android

Do you guys have a perspective on the BMW functionality with Android phones vs. IPhone.

After the 4S announcement today I was a bit disappointed. I am inclined to switch to Android, but would stick with iPhone if Android phones have less functionality within a BMW.

What Apps and Music integration do you get with Android vs iPhone?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Ads by Google
Old 10-05-2011, 03:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
With the iPhone you get the apps, plug-in and videos when parked (assuming you have 6NR). Android is not compatible with 6NR. However there is no MAP with the iPhone so no emails or texts are available. With certain android phones, MAP is available. You can stream Pandora via BT, but cannot control it via idrive which to me is the reason I won't give up the iPhone. Other than that I too am very disappointed about the 4S.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
With the iPhone you get the apps, plug-in and videos when parked (assuming you have 6NR). Android is not compatible with 6NR. However there is no MAP with the iPhone so no emails or texts are available. With certain android phones, MAP is available. You can stream Pandora via BT, but cannot control it via idrive which to me is the reason I won't give up the iPhone. Other than that I too am very disappointed about the 4S.
Thanks. I think I will stick with the iPhone too. On the bright side, at least we can use the same cradle!

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
After the 4S announcement today I was a bit disappointed.
I am intrigued by this sentiment over the 4S announcement. I too was feeling bit let down not hearing about the mythical iPhone 5, but what would it be that would meet the lofty expectations? The 4S is 2x as fast (7x graphically), has a camera with 60% better resolution as well as huge optics enhancements, runs they new iOS 5, and has what maybe a workable voice system. Not sure what new the hardware can offer to be a game changer right now - the real answer is in the software as usual. If Apple had these new specs wrapped in a new form factor, maybe everyone would be cheering more?

Plus, keeping the old form factor saves us money (and delays) on cradles and covers
Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
I am intrigued by this sentiment over the 4S announcement. I too was feeling bit let down not hearing about the mythical iPhone 5, but what would it be that would meet the lofty expectations? The 4S is 2x as fast (7x graphically), has a camera with 60% better resolution as well as huge optics enhancements, runs they new iOS 5, and has what maybe a workable voice system. Not sure what new the hardware can offer to be a game changer right now - the real answer is in the software as usual. If Apple had these new specs wrapped in a new form factor, maybe everyone would be cheering more?

Plus, keeping the old form factor saves us money (and delays) on cradles and covers
There are a number of issues with the iPhone 4:
1) The external antenna. Consumer Reports won't recommend the phone for this reason. It's a significant weakness. The 4S has a different antenna design, but I'm still skeptical of the concept.
2) It is uncomfortable to hold compared with the more curvy 3GS. I would prefer a more ergonomic design (like the iPod touch).
3) Screen is small. I had a chance to use a 4" Samsung phone and really liked the larger screen. I think 4.3 and 4.5 are too big, 3.5 is too small. 4 is just right.

Also I think the fact they pushed back their usual June/July release which they adhered to for the past 4 years, led us to think they had a big improvement coming. Waiting to October for this just seems silly. I don't understand why it took this long. The A5 processor has been shipping since March in the iPad.

I'm going to get a 4S anyway because I find I can sell a 1 year old phone for ~$350 which pays for the upgrade, so it has been costless for me to upgrade annually. I will continue to do that. But I don't feel Apple is by far the leader in this segment like they were in June 2010.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Android all the way. Infinitely more customizable, almost all apps are free, Google navigation (native to the phone) is unbeatable and free. The entire experience is just so much more flexible. With the iPhone you feel like you're in a straight jacket. The Bionic already trumps the iPhone. The soon-to-be-released Nexus Prime will set an entirely new standard.

http://phandroid.com/nexus-prime/

***Sent from the inerwebs using technology that's way above my pay grade***
Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM
The BIG Voice of Reason

Send a message via AIM to Western Skier
Mein Auto: 1999 323i
I was really hoping for a IPhone 5 so I could get the 4G one at a discounted price...
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330xi|2011 535i Xdrv
I have a new '11 535i and had a week of problems syncing my Moto Atrix (Droid) phone with the nav, but i figured out the issue.

I would opt for the Droid if you like flexibility in your phone. iPhone is great, and easier to use out of the box, but the Droid has a far better notification scheme and the Google Maps app alone is worth getting the phone.

As for the Droid with the 535i,
1. The phone works great now that i was able to sync phonebook with the BMW iDrive system. No software upgrade needed as mentioned on some forums.
2. The Bluetooth Audio (different than BT Phone) works very nicely, however no Track info moves from the phone to the iDrive so when you want to see the track, it doesn't show on the display. Nevertheless, i fire up the iDrive, and play all my tunes direct from my phone. very important feature.
3. Not much problems with drops on BT, something i have read about.

All in all, the Droid phone (Moto Atrix) works very nice with the car.