Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Dallas-Fort Worth Area Tint Recommendations!

I love the NYC-area tint collaberation! I want to see if I can get some recommendations for tint providers in the Dallas-area. Certainly would be open to similar leveraged deal, but at minimum, interested in seeing who the preferred providers are in the DFW metroplex.

2012 scheduled to arrive US next week, so have time to gather thoughts. Any insight or experience is aprpeciated!

Advertisement
Old 10-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i M-Sport
Am in need of one too.

2005 X5 4.4, Cold Weather and Premium package.
2011 528i Titanium Silver M-Sport, P1, P2, 2TB, Xenon
--------------------------------------
Retired - 2002 Topaz Blue 530I, Sports Package
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Find an installer who has been in business at the same location for over 10 years. (most places will give you a lifetime warranty, which isn't $hit if they are out of business in a few years). Installers are infinitely more important than film quality. A good installer will only install tint and maybe clear bras. Avoid places that are jack of all trades, master of nothing. (places that install stereos,detail cars,install tint)

The place I went to has been in business for 20 years, same location, they only instal tint and have multiple film suppliers at different prices. Spending anything more than 2-300 is kind silly in my mind. People will wax poetic about how great their $700 Huper Optik is, but seriously, it's tint, not a Dinian Stage 2 Install.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
pro tint in plano did my work..huper optik...did 40% came out great. don't reget goign with the 40% but i think i would have been happy with the 30% as well. in either case heat reduction during the summer is amazing...(i couple it with a front windshield visor)

takes less than a minute for car to be cool in interior in the hottest of summer days.

2011 528i- sport, p1, p2, conv, xenon, apps, 40% Huper Optik, DVDinmotion
2008 m3- (retired)
2002 330i- (retired)
Old 10-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 530i
I am going through the same decision process for my '06 530. Per BMW of Dallas they use MoonShadow.

http://www.moonshadowwindowtint.com
Old 10-17-2011, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoe View Post
pro tint in plano did my work..huper optik...did 40% came out great. don't reget goign with the 40% but i think i would have been happy with the 30% as well. in either case heat reduction during the summer is amazing...(i couple it with a front windshield visor)

takes less than a minute for car to be cool in interior in the hottest of summer days.
+1 on Pro Tint. Did 40% HO on my 2011 535i M-Sport in May. Great install, great tint!

2011 535i (delivered 5/6/11)
Dark Graphite / Black Dakota / Anthracite Wood / M Sport / Premium 1 and 2 / Convenience / Active Ventilated Seats / SAT / HUD / Active Cruise / Side & Top Cams
-----
2008 535i (Jan. '09 - Apr. '11)
Platinum Gray / Black Dakota / Anthracite Wood / Prem & Sport
Old 10-19-2011, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535i
BMW of Dallas recommended Ace Tinting and Glass to me in Spring 08. I used them for my 08 535i, and more recently, for my 11 535i. The shop will not impress you, but the quality of their work will.

Ace Tinting and Glass
2341 Royal Lane
Dallas, Tx 75229
(972) 488-8468
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill View Post
+1 on Pro Tint. Did 40% HO on my 2011 535i M-Sport in May. Great install, great tint!
Hey j - possible to see a pic of your 40% HO? I am trying to figure out how dark to go, and interested ot see the 40% on this model. Thanks!

Smizz

Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 3 series
Bump.. any other recommendations for good tint shops in Dallas/Fort Worth Area??
Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
Blair's Texas Tint. I have had 3 BMW's tinted by Blair Thompson. He does fabulous work and is a real nice guy. He's also recommended by Jerry Reynolds the CARPRO on WPAB820 radio in DFW. His website is http://textint.com/
Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 3 series
Anybody used Lone Star Window Tinting in Hurst?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sophisto/Oyster
I would be in if we were doing a group buy. Protint is the big name in town, moon shadow is what my brother has on his 335is and I have never heard of Ace.

How many people do we have together for a group buy so far? I can make some calls and try to set up a deal if we can get to 5.

So far we have:

me
Smizzle
Moe
Darkblue
Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 09 E90
Just picked up a 12 535 M-Sport and need tint. Add me to the list.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-sport
If the group buy price is decent i'd be interested. Part of me doesn't really want to sit at a tint shop all day. I have also been looking into someone that can come to my office or complex and take care of this for me.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Sport
I am interested as well. Will check back in a day or so to see if we have enough takers. Matt
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sophisto/Oyster
Updates listed

me
Smizzle
Moe
Darkblue
Jason
Ramble
White

In terms of group buy, we need to reach some sort of consensus on product. Are we all thinking huper optic ceramic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadesidon View Post
I would be in if we were doing a group buy. Protint is the big name in town, moon shadow is what my brother has on his 335is and I have never heard of Ace.

How many people do we have together for a group buy so far? I can make some calls and try to set up a deal if we can get to 5.

So far we have:

me
Smizzle
Moe
Darkblue
Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadesidon View Post
Updates listed

me
Smizzle
Moe
Darkblue
Jason
Ramble
White

In terms of group buy, we need to reach some sort of consensus on product. Are we all thinking huper optic ceramic?
Awesome! Count me in. I already made an appointment with Pro Tint, as they seem like the big game in town. They are so busy, I had to book 2 weeks out! I know they will be around for a while, and they seem to do a lot of high-end cars. I am scheduled for my tint on next Tuesday, so hopefully we can wrap this group thing up this upcoming week .

I talked to Claudio @ Pro Tint. I am sure you all may know this, but he said that there are 2 options for ceramic tint. Here are there prices for our F10 5-series (and most 4-door sedans):

Uper-optic --> cost is $425 and they come in only 30% and 40%

Ceramatric --> cost is $325 and they come in 30%, 15%, and limo

He said most people use the ceramtric and they do 30% for the front door, 15% for the rear door and either 15% or limo for the rear glass.

A buddy of mine with a new TL did the 30, 15, limo, and it looks clean, dark and even. It was not noticeable that the front door and back door were different percentages of tint.

I am not sure if Pro Tint would give a discount as they are always slammed packed, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Personally, I would do legal 30% on the front door; however, I am debating if I should match the rear door (30%) or go with 15%. I am definitely doing my rear glass with 15%. I was OK with Ceramatric; however, if I decide on doing 30% on both doors I will do Uper-Optic for the doors and the 15% Ceramatric for the rear glass.

I would love to hear your thoughts or suggestions about my choice in tint % and type. I am relatively new here, so let me throw my flame suit on just in case!

BTW, I just got a 2011 tit silver 535i from Classic last week (sport, premium 2 and some other goodies).

Last edited by BigDeep1; 06-09-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoe View Post
pro tint in Plano did my work..huper optik...did 40% came out great. don't reget going with the 40% but i think i would have been happy with the 30% as well. in either case heat reduction during the summer is amazing...(i couple it with a front windshield visor)

Clean car! Did you also do 40% on the rear glass? It looks very dark and black. I know that front visor helps with that

Can you please post a few more pics of the car. Not to de-rail this thread, but I am loving the blacked-out grill with that jet black tint.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Festaholic

Yo DFW F10 tint peeps, any updates? I am still scheduled for my tint job on this upcoming Tuesday. I think I will do the Uper-Optic 30% for the side windows, and do 15% (Ceramtric) on the back.

I will call them soon and get a pricing on that. It seems we all may have different requests for the tint we get, so I will see if they can do a certain percentage off the final job.

UPDATE:
I just talked to Claudio at Pro Tint. He was very nice, but was saying how they are in busy season now and are booked 2-3 weeks out. They do specials in winter, but almost never do any promotions in summer. He said he didn't want to turn us down, so he can give $20 off the final job if we mention that we are part of the Bimmerfest forum. I know, $20 is almost negligible; however, it is better than nothing at all.

He also said how the Huber Optic tint is more reflective than the Ceramtric tint. He said it would be noticeable having the 2 different brand tint on (HO on sides and Ceramatric on rear). I am actually not a fan of reflective tint (not that HO is mirror or anything), and like the more subtle dark smoked look. Even though the Huber Optic may be more protective, I may stick with the Ceramatric ceramic lifetime tint.

Pro Tint
1101 Ohio Drive Plano, TX 75093
http://www.thetintmaster.com/

(972) 713-6861

Last edited by BigDeep1; 06-15-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Festaholic

I just got my tint done at Pro Tint. The staff their is real friendly and patient.

I got to see samples on cars and in a display. The Llumar has the more smoke color while the Huper Optik has an almost earth type tone. The Huper 30% tint claims to reject 61% of the suns heat, while the Llumar claims to reject only 50%. It would take a Llumar 5% limo tint to have 61% rejection of the sun heat (like the Huper 30% film).

Anyways, the guy there said that he thinks the Huper Optik would look better on the shadow trimmed windows. He said most of the Audis and German cars use it, and it looks great. Of course that comes at a $100 premium over the Llumar tint. The other down side is that I would have to use the 30% Huper tint on the rear window. I really wanted to have a 15% tint on the rear glass.

I got the car back, and I must say that I am not really that impressed. I think that if I could do it again, I would pick the Llumar 30% for the side door windows and the 15% on the rear glass. This 30% just looks real weak in the sun. I also think the smoke color may look a tad better, especially on my titanium silver. It does look more like a factory tint color, and has a more subtle look than I was expecting. I am sure it is great for heat rejection, but I like the dark bold tint look. It looks like a 50% tint to me .

I hope this helps anyone else getting their tint done. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Festaholic

Thoughts post tint day #1:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=10

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)
Old 10-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rok8man
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
I got my tint done today at Pro Tint. I took my car in at 9am. I was welcomed to Pro Tint by a lady, Michelle. She showed me the options I had. She told me that since I have Bluetooth and GPS, Llumar is the best way to go. I was already going for that option. I told them I wanted the four windows with the 30% tint and the back window to be 15%. I think they just did the drivers and passengers front window with 30% and the rest 15%. I was on the fence on that and now I have that tint. Its growing on me now. It doesnt look that bad. All I have to do is remember to not put the window down for two days.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Ride On!

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Did she recommend the Llumar over the Huper Optik? From my understanding, the HO is supposed to be good for electronics too. Did they tint behind the 3rd brake light or just have a cut out for it?

Unless you truly like it, I would have made them redo the back doors to how I want it.

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rok8man
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
Did she recommend the Llumar over the Huper Optik? From my understanding, the HO is supposed to be good for electronics too. Did they tint behind the 3rd brake light or just have a cut out for it?

Unless you truly like it, I would have made them redo the back doors to how I want it.
When I called ProTint they told me what film they offered and asked if I had GPS and Bluetooth? I told them I wanted to get the Llumar tint done and they didnt try to upsell the HO film at any time. They cut around the 3rd brake light.

I do truly like it as I cant tell the difference.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rok8man View Post
I got my tint done today at Pro Tint. I took my car in at 9am. I was welcomed to Pro Tint by a lady, Michelle. She showed me the options I had. She told me that since I have Bluetooth and GPS, Llumar is the best way to go. I was already going for that option. I told them I wanted the four windows with the 30% tint and the back window to be 15%. I think they just did the drivers and passengers front window with 30% and the rest 15%. I was on the fence on that and now I have that tint. Its growing on me now. It doesn't look that bad. All I have to do is remember to not put the window down for two days.
I have had friends that did the staggered tint, and have liked it. Do you have any pics to post??

I waited a week before I ran my windows down (and that was with it baking in the sun). I know it was cloudy yesterday. I would wait at least for 4 good sunny days before running the windows down.

The HO uses "nanoceramic technology". The Llumar won't help in any way (in relation to the HO) with regards to the Bluetooth and GPS. Maybe she thought you were leaning toward the one option cheaper, which I believe is metallic based tint.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)