Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Battery Warning

I know this has been somewhat addressed, but only as far as non-starting issues.

Several times over the past months, after having the vehicle on, but not running, doing things such as synching a new phone, loading music via USB, adding contacts or otherwise learning systems, the low battery warning has come on the dash display, warning that all unnecessary services would be shgut down and the vehicle immediately goes ito a dark mode. All lights go off, radio, dash, nav system, displays, steering wheel goes up. Basically it shuts down.

I can simply start the car again and drive away. But, I wonder is this normal? The car doesn't get driven distances over 50 miles but a few times a month and then that's all freeway, and has only been on a few long trips in the last 8 months. Most trips are around town and sometimes the car sits for several days without being driven.

I have heard locking the vehicle, even in the garage, might help reduce any battery drain. Any experience with that?

Your thoughts from any with similar experiences?
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
I know this has been somewhat addressed, but only as far as non-starting issues.

Several times over the past months, after having the vehicle on, but not running, doing things such as synching a new phone, loading music via USB, adding contacts or otherwise learning systems, the low battery warning has come on the dash display, warning that all unnecessary services would be shgut down and the vehicle immediately goes ito a dark mode. All lights go off, radio, dash, nav system, displays, steering wheel goes up. Basically it shuts down.

I can simply start the car again and drive away. But, I wonder is this normal? The car doesn't get driven distances over 50 miles but a few times a month and then that's all freeway, and has only been on a few long trips in the last 8 months. Most trips are around town and sometimes the car sits for several days without being driven.

I have heard locking the vehicle, even in the garage, might help reduce any battery drain. Any experience with that?

Your thoughts from any with similar experiences?
'With absolutely zero warning, my car alerted me last weekend to REPLACE BATTERY. It said I could continue driving and to do it at my next opportunity. I'm replacing it today. Will find out what other surprises I have waiting for me as my TPMs go off all the time, even when everything is fine.

I am hoping a new battery and an update to the software on the car will address many of the glitches on the electronics side of things.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT
SFO1K: Before you replace your battery, take your car into the dealer and have them run electrical diagnostics on it. I got the same error several months ago, and it turned out to be a software glitch. They updated the iDrive software and the error stopped occurring; they told me there was never anything wrong with the battery, and that the car was drawing too much power from the battery.

I started a thread on this somewhere, and it sounds like others have encountered the same issue, so I imagine dealers are becoming aware of the issue.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi GT
At dealer now. Will see what happens.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 AM

I have the latest software updates and it has only happened several times. The service advisor yesterday stated that unfortunately, the vehicle can remain in the the "ready" state for 30 minutes or longer after you leave the vehicle and locking it when you leave, even in your garage, will not immediately stop the drain, but will cut the drain time immensely and he recommends that everyone with the new "efficient dynamics" models do so.

Further, he stated that any time you are in the vicinity of the vehicle with your remote (if you have comfort access) the vehicle will "wake up" and the battery drain starts. So if you go in and out of your garage 10 times a day and don't even use your car, you actually "wake up" your vehicle 10 times and are losing electrical energy. Plus, lack of driving will drain the batteries quickly as all the gear in the cars sucks the batteries dry pretty fast. There is a reserve component that cuts off the power so that you do not drain the battery so low that the car will not start and run (seems like that was my issue) but without driving and charging, (or perhaps a trickle charger as others have suggesed), your battery will drain quickly.

You'd think with a 70K vehicle, BMW would have had a better idea. The Efficient Dynamics is to get better gas mileage by using regenerative braking and the alternator only while coasting, and even that only at lower speeds.

Hmm...makes you wonder. I question how these newer BMW's stand up to emergency vehicle use where lightbars are installed. They would be dead in a flask. Or maybe that's why they still use the puny single rotator lights in many parts of Europe? The cars won't support a decent lightbar? Gives one pause.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
My vehicle will recharge upon deceleration at any speed...I noticed it doing it at over 60mph yesterday while on a trip when coasting down a hill from 70mph. You have to have removed all pressure from the accellerator, though. ANy slight pressure will stop the recharging.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Wonder what cruise control will do on a trip. I never looked so will have to see how that performs. Would be a pain taking it off on the downgrades to charge the battery. Nice to know, though; thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 535 GT
I have a relatively short commute... after a few of these threads I broke down and bought a Bosch C7 charger. I've had my GT about 6 months. My car is locked in the garage. I used the battery terminals under the hood for charging. It looks like it might have charged it around 2 Amp Hours before it went to trickle charge.

So either my battery was in good shape, or the car's electronics are protecting the battery from exposing its true state.