Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport
Just ordered my first BMW!!

Hey guys,

Over the past couple weeks I have read a lot about the X3 on these threads, and I would like to thank all of you for the informative threads and good discussion.

For the last 7 years I have been driving a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited. I spent the last couple weeks test driving a lot of different SUV's and my decision came down to the Audi Q5 and the X3. I went with the X3, ordered it today, and I'm very excited to get the vehicle in what I expect to be 3-5 weeks.

I ordered: 2012 X3 35i, Carbon Black Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Brushed Aluminum Trim, M Sport Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package (1, not 2), Heads Up Display, BMW Apps, iPhone Snap-in Adapter.

I have a few questions for you guys: There are a lot of confusing threads about the Dynamic Handling Package. My dealer told me that since I already got the M Sport Package, he did not really see a need for me to get the Dynamic Handling Package on top of that. I'm the type of guy that kinda likes to have everything, but I'm not sure if I'd even notice the difference seeing as this is my first vehicle of this caliber. Anyways, what are your thoughts? Will I regret not getting the DHP? Performance Control is apparently already included in the M Sports Package, but the Variable Sport Steering is not...

I bought the iPhone Snap-in Adapter, but I was hoping to upgrade to the new iPhone 4S which was revealed today. Apparently, the iPhone 4S has the same exact dimensions as the iPhone 4. There are some tweaks inside the phone, and I'm not sure if there are any new buttons on the outside, but I do not think so. If I buy the new 4S do you guys think I will have any problems using this adapter?

Lastly, I wanted to ask about the Auto High-Beams. I didn't give this feature much thought, but I read some threads online (admittedly, after I ordered the X3), and it seems like some people love it and others find it does not work that well. This feature is only $250 and I'm sure I could still add it on if I called the dealer tomorrow. What would you guys recommend? Is it worth the hassle of calling the dealer and having them add it. I am a gadget/techie guy...

Once again, thanks for everyone's insightful comments and opinions throughout this board. Let me know what you think about my X3's build!
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Congratulations, the X3 35i will be my first BMW as well. It's in production now so I hope to get it by the end of the month. From all the research I did the MSport package has the same suspension as the standard 35i. The big difference with the DHP is that you get variable suspension dampers. This allows you to change the stiffness of the suspension. I was happy with the standard suspension on the vehicle I test drove so I skipped the DHP to keep the cost down a little. My guess is that the iPhone 4S will work fine in the snap in adapter you bought. I checked online and the dimensions of the phone are the same as the 4. I have the iPhone 4 as well and my biggest concern right now is whether the new IOS 5 software will still work with iDrive. I probable won't update the software on my iPhone until a few other brave souls confirm it still works with their BMW.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
Congrats!

I've actually just picked up my new X3 from the dealer, and I couldn't be any happier. You've got a great car coming! I don't have many extras or the iPhone adapter (finally found a use for my U2 iPod), so I can't speak to those, but regardless you're in for a real treat when your X3 arrives
Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the replies Colson and Jimbo!

Man, picking a new car was quite a difficult, albeit fun, decision. I'm not going to worry about the DHP, apparently the guy I spoke with that said it was unnecessary was the #3 BMW salesperson in the country. WOW! Now that the thing is ordered I just can't wait to get it...the wait is excruciating! At least they don't have to ship it from overseas, apparently these things get built and shipped rather quickly.

I'll have to take some pics and show you guys when it gets shipped. I thought the black leather with aluminum trim was a nice sporty look. I almost went with the chestnut just to be different (it is quite sharp), but I had to go with my gut, I think the black/aluminum interior fits me better, being 26.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:17 PM

Any tips for a future X3 owner? Should I change my oil after 2,000 miles? What modifications, if any, did you guys do? I'm definitely going to tint the front windows...not sure what else, though.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:37 AM

So my X3 is finally in production!! whoohooo!! I even added the DHP and auto high-beams. Both X3's I testdrove had DHP and I didn't want to regret not buying it. Seems like everyone on here and other sites recommend it.

I have a question though, on My BMW, where it shows my X3's specs, it does not show the iPhone Snap-in Adapter. Is this something that the dealership installs themselves? Or should I be concerned?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM

I just got my build video but when, oh when will I get the phone call to pick it up!!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
iPhone snap

You have to buy that, in the UK costs around £80, so I guess the same in dollars ;-)

I'm not actually sure you'll want it either, since I find it better to either use the bluetooth, or just use the standard Apple cable to plug it into the armrest where you get pretty much most of the features of the snap in (minus the use of the on board aerial). If you use the snap in. Anyways, the iPhone does NOT interface with the computer to display text messages and the like, so that's a bummer. You can of course have the car access your phone book over bluetooth though.

You'll LOVE the head up display. Especially when you get the nav pictures in there too, sometimes I just use it for the hell of it, but definitely a great toy.

J
Old 11-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Congrats on the new car!! Make sure to post up some pics when you pick her up!!!

Don't you just love how BMW teases you with the build video?

ECS Tuning

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!