Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535i xdrive
iphone 4s and bluetooth text messages and email

HI all

i am sure most of you have already heard apple announced a new iPhone yesterday, iPhone 4S. The new phone will utilize bluetooth 4.0 instead of bluetooth 2.1. I was wondering if this change will help all of us finally be able to utilize the bmw mobile office to its full potential. I have read on here that some blackberrys are able to utilize some of the office features. It would be great if iPhone 4s would be the phone to fully work with the bmw office.

Many thanks to everyone out here.
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Oh that would be nice - I am waiting to preorder the 4s next week at the Verizon store.
Will let you know....
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 AM

why wait till next week?
My pre-order is going this friday.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
I am going to wait until the design of it changes. I dont see a really compelling reason to get the 4s since I can still download the iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. If the 4s looked as the leaked information suggested with slightly rounded edges, thinner, bigger screen, etc. I would....but not just for the same designed model with a couple more capabilities.

Last edited by cnd8; 10-05-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercetti0 View Post
HI all

i am sure most of you have already heard apple announced a new iPhone yesterday, iPhone 4S. The new phone will utilize bluetooth 4.0 instead of bluetooth 2.1. I was wondering if this change will help all of us finally be able to utilize the bmw mobile office to its full potential. I have read on here that some blackberrys are able to utilize some of the office features. It would be great if iPhone 4s would be the phone to fully work with the bmw office.

Many thanks to everyone out here.
Its not the version of bluetooth that is the issue with iPhones. It is the "MAP" bluetooth specification -- Message Access Profile. iPhone, for whatever reason, does not include MAP. MAP is necessary for the Office functionality.

"The Message Access Profile (MAP) specification defines a set of
features and procedures to exchange messages between devices. It
is especially tailored for the automotive handsfree use case where
an onboard terminal device (typically a Car-Kit installed in the car)
takes advantage of the messaging capability of a communication
device (typically a mobile phone). This profile can however also be
used for other use cases that require the exchange of messages
between two devices."

https://www.bluetooth.org/DocMan/han...?doc_id=215400
Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: '08 Bmw 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd8 View Post
I am going to wait until the design of it changes. I dont see a really compelling reason to get the 4s since I can still download the iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. If the 4s looked as the leaked information suggested with slightly rounded edges, thinner, bigger screen, etc. I would....but not just for the same designed model with a couple more capabilities.
You still won't have the upgraded processor, camera, and Siri though. I could definitely use a bigger screen but personally I think the current iPhone design is already excellent. Plus its right on track with their normal refresh cycle. 3g>3gs 4>4s.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335xi coupe
I am just worried that iOS5 won't work with my car correctly...

'09 335i xDrive Coupe - Space Grey / Black Leather / Alum. Trim / Sport / Premium / 18'' wheels / Cold Weather / CA / Nav / iPod / Logic 7 / PPK1
Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace_91 View Post
You still won't have the upgraded processor, camera, and Siri though. I could definitely use a bigger screen but personally I think the current iPhone design is already excellent. Plus its right on track with their normal refresh cycle. 3g>3gs 4>4s.
This. IMO Siri is the most important upgrade to the 4s. Unfortunately my 4 won't have this capability.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
Its not the version of bluetooth that is the issue with iPhones. It is the "MAP" bluetooth specification -- Message Access Profile. iPhone, for whatever reason, does not include MAP. MAP is necessary for the Office functionality.

"The Message Access Profile (MAP) specification defines a set of
features and procedures to exchange messages between devices. It
is especially tailored for the automotive handsfree use case where
an onboard terminal device (typically a Car-Kit installed in the car)
takes advantage of the messaging capability of a communication
device (typically a mobile phone). This profile can however also be
used for other use cases that require the exchange of messages
between two devices."

https://www.bluetooth.org/DocMan/han...?doc_id=215400
Has it been confirmed that the iPhone 4S, with iOS 5 still will not have "MAP"? Or is there hope?

2011 M3 Sedan (MT) - Delivered 10/25/11
Competition, Convenience, Premium, Navigation, Enhanced Sound, BMW Apps, Etc. (Space Gray/Black Leather/Aluminum Trim)

2009 335i Sedan (MT) - Delivered 2/28/09, Retired 10/25/11

2006 330i Sedan (MT) - Delivered 3/18/06, Retired 2/28/09

"Honor, though it goes unrecognized; and truth, though liars abound."
Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicMarinWheels View Post
Has it been confirmed that the iPhone 4S, with iOS 5 still will not have "MAP"? Or is there hope?
Anyone?

2011 M3 Sedan (MT) - Delivered 10/25/11
Competition, Convenience, Premium, Navigation, Enhanced Sound, BMW Apps, Etc. (Space Gray/Black Leather/Aluminum Trim)

2009 335i Sedan (MT) - Delivered 2/28/09, Retired 10/25/11

2006 330i Sedan (MT) - Delivered 3/18/06, Retired 2/28/09

"Honor, though it goes unrecognized; and truth, though liars abound."
Old 10-10-2011, 10:44 AM

?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:07 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mein Auto: 2009 328i LCI
are you guys seriously buying a 4s? common. it's amazing, they give you the same product and everyone runs out to drop hundreds. android and windows phone have had voice command recognition like this for a while now. apple keeps spoon feeding everyone a reheated dish every year and people lap it up. 8 megapixel camera? woopdie doo once again apple is playing catch up to every other cell phone manufacture and they get praised for it. dual core processor? who cares? no phone OS can utilize the full power of a dual core so it's just wasting battery on an over powered processor. still no true multitasking and no flash STILL. apple hasn't innovated since the original iphone.

did you know if you took apart a mac pro and looked up pricing on all the individual parts you will find they are overcharging you over $1k? they take advantage of their customers plain and simple.

/rant
Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 535
Anyone have any ideas as to how we can get bmw to work on developing droid compatibility with bmw apps?

Apple has lost market share to droid steadily the last few years. Don't even mention RIMM, why do they even bother?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Only in America

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Conv M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2hydro View Post
are you guys seriously buying a 4s? common. it's amazing, they give you the same product and everyone runs out to drop hundreds. android and windows phone have had voice command recognition like this for a while now. apple keeps spoon feeding everyone a reheated dish every year and people lap it up. 8 megapixel camera? woopdie doo once again apple is playing catch up to every other cell phone manufacture and they get praised for it. dual core processor? who cares? no phone OS can utilize the full power of a dual core so it's just wasting battery on an over powered processor. still no true multitasking and no flash STILL. apple hasn't innovated since the original iphone.

did you know if you took apart a mac pro and looked up pricing on all the individual parts you will find they are overcharging you over $1k? they take advantage of their customers plain and simple.

/rant
Millions of people around the world aren't wrong. Do you really doubt that Apple just makes a better product? More integrated and user friendly? I join the others in this thread that hope that somehow the bluetooth integration with the iPhone is improved so that we can use all of the Office functions.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswalters View Post
Millions of people around the world aren't wrong. Do you really doubt that Apple just makes a better product? More integrated and user friendly? I join the others in this thread that hope that somehow the bluetooth integration with the iPhone is improved so that we can use all of the Office functions.
respectfully i disagree. millions of people can definitely be wrong. george w. bush got elected twice after all. i'm not saying the product isn't quality or that it isn't user friendly. it is. my beef with apple is that they have become the Madden of the phone world. offering only minor improvements and touting them as groundbreaking. they claim to be innovators but show me something they have "innovated" since the original iphone that no other company had first. i'm a phone techie to the extreme. if you want fresh, check out windows phone 7. with the zune pass's unlimited downloads it's a no brainer for anyone into music. i wonder how long apple fans will stand for it without steve jobs leading the company. after all steve jobs WAS apple. i just don't understand why windows doesn't advertise their product more aggressively. it's more than ready for prime time.

apple is treading water, regurgitating essentially the same product for 3-4 years.
android has become bloated, eating up to much battery.
windows phone 7 offers a zero learning curve, better music services and great battery life.

Last edited by h2hydro; 10-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Only in America

Quote:
respectfully i disagree. millions of people can definitely be wrong. george w. bush got elected twice after all. i'm not saying the product isn't quality or that it isn't user friendly. it is. my beef with apple is that they have become the Madden of the phone world. offering only minor improvements and touting them as groundbreaking. they claim to be innovators but show me something they have "innovated" since the original iphone that no other company had first. i'm a phone techie to the extreme. if you want fresh, check out windows phone 7. with the zune pass's unlimited downloads it's a no brainer for anyone into music. i wonder how long apple fans will stand for it without steve jobs leading the company. after all steve jobs WAS apple.
Oh, I definitely agree that a million people can be wrong, but I don't feel they are with Apple. The competitive marketplace rarely is. While it's true that they are not often the leading feature innovator, they are the leading feature integration leader in my opinion. Obviously it's the whole ecosphere they have developed with iTunes, the app store, book store, media relationships, and iOS that make them the market leader and I think it's going to be that way for the forseeable future. Not mention the absolute simplicity of use and interconnectivity. I'm willing to bet the new MS phone will have features that Apple does not yet offer. But when Apple does, it will do so in a more compelling way. Ultimately, it's content access and what good is the best phone without the best content access? It's a package deal.

Of all the features I love best, it's AirPlay. I have my whole house audio running off the iPhone all with hardware I already owned.... with instant access to iTunes for purchase or a million other songs from Pandora and Mog etc.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
Meh... I have a Samsung Focus with Mango and some of the features of this phone are much nicer than the iphone. You're right about one thing though, if it weren't for every other company trying to get a piece of the mobile pie by pushing out products that add to the iphone experience, the iphone would be your average smartphone. There really isn't much innovation with the phone itself, they are just riding on its popularity and the fact that numbers speak for themselves when it comes to third party support. Without this, you would see a much smaller market share for the iphone, but as of right now...large user base means third party support. Windows Phone 7 just doesn't have the user base to demand consideration from third party providers.

Anyway, to answer the question, in the pre-release developer builds of iOS 5, MAP doesn't seem to be available. It doesn't really matter if it is using BT 2.1, 3, or 4, since BT profiles are based on how the driver for that piece of hardware is written and whether it includes instructions for whatever functionality. If Apple decides not to include the profile in their BT stack, tough luck. This will be the same for the 3GS, 4 and 4S, so if you have any of those phones, update to the new OS in a couple of days and find out for yourself if it's now possible.

It does kind of suck because BMW pushes for integration into iOS but Apple refuses to make the phone capable of being completely hands free despite many customers wishing the stack was more full featured.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post

It does kind of suck because BMW pushes for integration into iOS but Apple refuses to make the phone capable of being completely hands free despite many customers wishing the stack was more full featured.
I think that saying that Apple refuses to add the MAP profile to the BT stack so it cannot be integrated to the BMW Office feature is giving Apple too much credit for something that may be is not to be done for a very particular case/time.

This is most probably a BMW business agreement with cell phones manufacturers/providers in the USA than anything else. There is no coincidence that Blackberry is the only cell phone in the USA that it is currently fully compatible with Office (it is not in Europe), that the full Google Search only shows up in the BMW Search service in the USA ($199 a year in the USA but it is free thru any cell phone tethering in Europe), and that the iPhone is so far the only phone that supports BMW Apps.

BMW has three different features supported exclusively by three different cell phone suppliers in the USA when any/all of these suppliers are fully capable to support all three features by themselves. That's the BMW plan in the USA so far so it can offer something for everybody while not fully pleasing anybody, IMO.

For me this is the real reason and not something that Apple, Google or even BlackBerry is willing or refuses to do.

Last edited by Technic; 10-11-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Do you have a citation for this claim?

Here is but one of many articles debunking this claim. Anandtech compares a Mac Pro to a similarly equipped Dell workstation.

Here is the quote from the article:

Quote:
Despite the high cost of entry, historically the Apple tax has been nonexistent on the Mac Pro. I shopped around Dell and HPs websites to see if I could find similarly configured systems to the new Mac Pro. For the most part Apple was priced identically if not cheaper than Dell and HP for both the single and dual-socket Mac Pros.
Apple does have somewhat higher margins that other computer manufacturers, but nothing like what you are claiming.

If you enjoy your PC, that's great. But I'm not quite clear why you feel the need to denigrate the perfectly valid choices of others.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have a degree in computer information systems and I have built more computers than you have ever owned, so ya, i know what i'm talking about. just go to newegg.com and put together an equal spec computer if you want to see for yourself. i don't have to prove anything to anyone. if you feel like defending a company that takes advantage of you be my guest. its like the wife that gets beat by her husband and still thinks it was her fault.

fyi i can put apple's OS's on any PC

Old 10-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Only in America

Dude, very few people with needs for computer purchase a Mac Pro. Good luck getting your Windows iphone to integrate with iDrive. Where does this hate come from? And, why even try building a Hackintosh? Just get a Mac. It simply works.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Only in America

What a thread hijack. Those of us with iPhones just want to know if we will get iDrive office functionality with the new iOS.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
What a thread hijack. Those of us with iPhones just want to know if we will get iDrive office functionality with the new iOS.
Thats what I was hoping to figure out...Didn't expect a guy jealous of Mac computers posting nonsense on a CAR forum.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I have a degree in computer information systems and I have built more computers than you have ever owned, so ya, i know what i'm talking about. just go to newegg.com and put together an equal spec computer if you want to see for yourself. i don't have to prove anything to anyone. if you feel like defending a company that takes advantage of you be my guest. its like the wife that gets beat by her husband and still thinks it was her fault.

fyi i can put apple's OS's on any PC
You know, when I posted I just knew you were going to come back and try to tell me that a box of parts from Newegg was the same thing as a Mac Pro, and you did not let me down.

Apologies to the community for the thread jack. I'll drop this now.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I am actually more curious if the Siri voice control features will work over our built in BT? I had a Parrot BT I installed in a car that was able to use the iPhone voice dialing, so there may be hope.

Here is a nice demo of Siri being used.

Last edited by Weaselboy; 10-11-2011 at 01:01 PM.