Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00' M Roadster, 07' Mazda
Question Broken Seat Belt Guide- how to fix?

I just noticed that the seat belt guide (the black plastic piece that the belt passes through) on my driver's seat is broken. Does anybody have any experience replacing one of these? I can't figure out how it is mounted.

Can somebody please provide a replacement part number and/or instructions for this? I may try to fix this when I take the seat out for installing Doug W's bushings.

Thanks in advance,
JohnK
H&R/Bilstein, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, LeatrherZ armrest, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2004, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 96 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeen_john
I just noticed that the seat belt guide (the black plastic piece that the belt passes through) on my driver's seat is broken. Does anybody have any experience replacing one of these? I can't figure out how it is mounted.
This is a hacker fix. So I'd be interested in the "legit" solution too....

My passenger side guide was cracked down the middle when a friend who weighs 350 thought he would pull himself out of the seat by grabbing on it. It was cracked in half behind where the belt would usually be. As a result, I could rotate each guide "finger" seperately.

In looking at the seat, it appeared to me that the guide is attached from within the seat and therefore not removable. I don't know this for a fact but that's how it appears.

I carefully glued it with epoxy. The results cannot be seen unless you are really looking closely for them. The mating surface for the two pieces is quite small and thin, so I added a little bit of plastic underneath. I taped the pieces of the guide in place while the epoxy set using shipping tape that I laid across the seat. (It was hard to get stuff to stay lined up right). Any epoxy that got on the leather was wiped off quickly.

It looks good and is holding up fine. I tell people not to grab on it to get out of the car.

YMMV. Post a pic so we can see where it's broken..

Good luck!

'96 BMW 328iC
'78 VW Bus "The Blue Bus".
Gone:'98 Estoril Blue M Roadster.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Quote:
Are you still under warranty? If so, it's a common warranty item. The leather seat cover needs to come off to fix it -- that's all I know (and that my dealer way way over-torqued the seat mounting bolts when the put the seat back in).
Old 04-07-2004, 08:37 PM

Unfortunately, my warranty just ran out in December.
H&R/Bilstein, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, LeatrherZ armrest, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW
Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 01 S54 M Roadster & 97 M3
Question Sorry about the belts

I don't have any help for you,
But you did drop Doug W's name, I have been trying to find where to get he's Seat Bushing,
What Where and How did you get them,

Good Luck with the Seat Belt

Mike T
Old 04-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Analyzer Tech.

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 , 3/blk.
seats

Quote:
Unfortunately, my warranty just ran out in December.
Yep, mine ran out last November !. phrider is correct, the cover needs to be removed to fix the seat belt guide. Find a local place that does seats and bring it to them with the parts. It will save you money. The parts are cheap, but the labor kills you. Just do not turn the key on with the seat unplugged. Or do the fix like markd89 did. Good Luck
Steve H.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weoilmen
I don't have any help for you,
But you did drop Doug W's name, I have been trying to find where to get he's Seat Bushing,
What Where and How did you get them,

Good Luck with the Seat Belt

Mike T

Email Doug at whamac@msn.com

They go for $10.00 for a set of four (fixes one seat), or $17.00 for a set of eight; no shipping charges.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Now I just need to find a reputable interior/seat shop in North NJ. Can anybody refer me to one?

Thanks again,
JohnK