2005 x5 e53 3.0i electric water pump? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-14-2017, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 E53 3.0i
2005 x5 e53 3.0i electric water pump?

Hello all,

This is my first BMW and after deciding to give it a coolant flush i thought i should have a look at how to do it

I have watched a number of different videos that talk about the electric water pump and using the bleed system to remove air bubbles. (ignition on(don't start), heater to hottest, fan lowest, accelerator to floor for 10 sec)

after doing that i'm left sitting here scratching my head as to the correct procedure.

The car is COLD.

1st. turn ignition on

2nd. turn heater to hottest, fan to low

At this point the electric water pump starts running, pumping water into the radiator expansion tank? Is that right? is the electric water pump supposed to come on as soon as the heater is turned on even if the car is COLD? or is this an auxiliary pump for the heater only and my main water pump is somewhere else (i haven't looked, don't judge me, i'm new lol)

when i see the stream of water pouring into the radiator expansion tank it looks just like the videos show. (but i haven't pressed the accelerator down yet.)

3rd. press accelerator to floor for 10 seconds. (No noticeable change.)

people talk about the water pump doing a cycle of ons and offs for about 12 minutes but what i'm seeing is it's just on until i stop it. Either by turning off the heater or the ignition.

My head hurts

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, and thanks for any info.
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
Venting cooling system and checking for leaks. NewTIS.info

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/ANzABPr

Checking coolant level:Caution!
Check coolant level at a maximum coolant temperature of 30C.

Note:
If ambient temperature exceeds 30C, allow engine to cool down at least to ambient temperature.

Open cap carefully.
Fluid level is O.K. when top edge of coolant expansion tank is between both markings (1 and 2) on float needle.
Minimum cold fill level:
Upper edge of coolant expansion tank is level with marking (1).
Maximum cold fill level:
Upper edge of coolant expansion tank is level with marking (2).
If necessary, top up coolant.
Note: Tank mark indicates the fluid level at approx. 20C.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: X5 E53 3.0i
Car engine COLD.

1st. turn ignition on

2nd. turn heater to hottest, fan to low

At this point the electric water pump starts running, pumping water into the radiator expansion tank, yes this is correct and any trapped air bubbles on that side of the system should be expelled. That procedure is correct. Now as far as the electric water pump it does come on as soon as the heater is turned on EVEN if the car is COLD. The auxiliary pump is exactly that, an extra pump for the heater only. It can come in handy also if you ever experience an engine over heat and the coolant thermometer is stuck closed, this auxiliary pump can be used to cool off the fluid for a short while to avoid severe damage to the engine block. Incase the following does occur turn heat all the way up and aux pump will move fluid through the radiator. Keep this tip of knowledge in your back pocket. To answer your question indeed your main water pump is located somewhere else (see red arrow) water pump on diagram. It resides behind the pulley that is attached to the cooling fan clutch and the cooling fan.

The stream of flow that circulates and pours back into the radiator expansion tank is normal and there shouldn't be a need to floor the gas pedal if the ignition never went into the "Start" position. That last part might be for the bleed-off screw that is also another area that will need to be bled, that screw is next to the expansion tank cap. Once the car is warmed up engine running it can be loosened (not removed) big caution there due to fluid temp and small gasket seal. But back it out till all air bubbles or whitish fluid flow is released, till you get a constant steady flow. Then retighten the screw back into place (do not over tighten) once all the air pockets are released. after that wait for car to cool and top off any fluid that was wasted during bleeding process. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m52_cooling_system.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	600683  

Last edited by device2; 06-14-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 E53 3.0i
Thanks

g'day,

and thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. i wasn't expecting such quick responses

i couldn't tell from any of the videos if water started flowing as soon as

ignition to on (all cluster lights on, but not started)

heater to max, fan to low.

Every camera shot was from the perspective of the person doing the job, so when they went to turn ignition on, heater, etc they would take the camera with them.

The part about holding accelerator pedal flat to the floor for 10 seconds to start bleed sequence seemed to be what most of the videos showed for bleeding but they could have been for other models.

I feel like a giant weight has been lifted, in that i thought something was wrong with the cooling system and how much was it going to cost me.

Too dramatic maybe lol, iv'e only had the car 5 months, and the thought of having to do one thing after another wasn't giving me a good feeling.

Knowledge is power! Thanks for sharing.

ps. i'm 47 and this is my 1st post anywhere, ever. Do i have to do anything to "mark this as solved?"

Last edited by dazzag; 06-14-2017 at 05:51 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2005, 3.0i, e53, electric water pump, x5

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search