Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Is engine oil level sensor accurate?

Any experiences? I've just changed my factory oil following the break-in (~2300 miles on the clock) and before the sensor showed full (top bar). For my change, I've refilled with 6.5 quarts (litres... probably close) and the sensor shows full again (exactly at the top bar... same spot, which made me wonder).

Does yours show accurately, ie. perhaps less than full? Is it as accurate as a manual dipstick check or just very approximate? Can someone upload a pic?
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Mine fluctuates at times and it is not as accurate as a dipstick but it's adequate. You can trust the oil sensor, it's good enough. Mine is a 550 that takes 9 quarts at oil change and the sensor shows full when I put in 8 and 7/8 qts.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I found it to be very accurate. Your car N55 motor requires 6.9 Qts for filter and oil pan dump. There is residual oil left in the pan, motor and oil filter housing. 6.5 qts. will usually be sufficient. In fact it's better to do that and add some later then to add too much.

This is why DIY is king...What your dealer wont do...

Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I think the oil sensor is heavily buffered to avoid quick changes. I have noticed that if I add oil (once or twice in 12K miles) it doesn't read full immediately. Even after I took it for a scheduled oil change at the dealer, when I got the car back, it still read one notch down on level on the way home (7 miles). The next morning it showed full. Be careful if you add oil, you can be fooled into thinking you didn't add enough -- you have to wait a while for the sensor to "catch up". BTW, I think the crankcase holds 8 quarts with a filter change.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 550i x-drive
I cant understand why they could not have made a dip stick available. I like the fact that the 550 holds 9 Qts though. Taking a nice little road trip for a stay in MO wine country.
BTW good to hear the sensor is accurate.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I think the oil sensor is heavily buffered to avoid quick changes. I have noticed that if I add oil (once or twice in 12K miles) it doesn't read full immediately. Even after I took it for a scheduled oil change at the dealer, when I got the car back, it still read one notch down on level on the way home (7 miles). The next morning it showed full. Be careful if you add oil, you can be fooled into thinking you didn't add enough -- you have to wait a while for the sensor to "catch up". BTW, I think the crankcase holds 8 quarts with a filter change.
What the crankcase holds and what the oil refill requirements are 2 different things. N52, N54 and N55 all use the same filters and have the same oil fill requirements 6.9 qts.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
does anybody have DIY instruction with pictures for 535i oil change
Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
Not to digress - but when does one really need to do the first oil change? I have 2400 miles on mine.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
does anybody have DIY instruction with pictures for 535i oil change
This is the best and only one I've seen:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
Not to digress - but when does one really need to do the first oil change? I have 2400 miles on mine.
Two schools: 1) do it early 2) don't bother, BMW knows best

I'm with 1) so I did mine early, then at 6K and now I'll do it every 7.5K. If you are leasing don't bother, if you are keeping the car for many years, then do it.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM

OK, to answer my own question - it is NOT accurate (I was suspecting that somehow....). My readouts today on a long trip showed fluctuations between two states: full and 3/4 full. Not accurate at all. I'd call it 'approximate'. Probably good enough not to damage the engine, but nothing beyond that. Never mind. Small thing to worry about.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: Considering a 550i
Ah, but someone on a related thread told me not to doubt the BMW engineers. This feature/item is the single most annoying element for all BMWs. For something that begs for accuracy (oil level), a dipstick would be the savior. Are you listening BMW?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Honestly... To be the devil's advocate here, I have ALWAYS done my own car maintenance, from oil and ATF changes, some engine work and suspensions, I must say I've grown lazy and I sort of enjoy the idea of not needing to pop the hood ever again! This is a first new car in my life (never knew what a warranty was...), and I am sooo done with maintenance for a few years (oops, I still have an '03 MDX to worry about), I very much entertain the idea of just keeping the hood shut until the warranty expires. Why pop it if there is an electronic sensor which sort of tells us what's happening in the oil department. So, unless the sensor craps out soon after warranty expires and continues to do so for as long as I own the car, or the car is bothered by chronic significant oil leaks which I had NONE of in my E46, I like the idea of using the iDrive's way to check if the car has oil to run.

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528 Blk, 99 528TiAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
honestly... To be the devil's advocate here, i have always done my own car maintenance, from oil and atf changes, some engine work and suspensions, i must say i've grown lazy and i sort of enjoy the idea of not needing to pop the hood ever again! This is a first new car in my life (never knew what a warranty was...), and i am sooo done with maintenance for a few years (oops, i still have an '03 mdx to worry about), i very much entertain the idea of just keeping the hood shut until the warranty expires. Why pop it if there is an electronic sensor which sort of tells us what's happening in the oil department. So, unless the sensor craps out soon after warranty expires and continues to do so for as long as i own the car, or the car is bothered by chronic significant oil leaks which i had none of in my e46, i like the idea of using the idrive's way to check if the car has oil to run.

+1
Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Mine fluctuates at times and it is not as accurate as a dipstick but it's adequate. You can trust the oil sensor, it's good enough. Mine is a 550 that takes 9 quarts at oil change and the sensor shows full when I put in 8 and 7/8 qts.
Ray Charles (if he were still alive) could see that this is a clear illustration that those of you taking your car to the dealer are getting your car over filled each and every time. 9 quarts is too much. As for those on this thread who say that you are happy not to pop the hood and just have the dealer handle maintenance while under warranty-understand this:

The problems born of being overfilled by this small amount surely will not manifest themselves during this warranty period. So, if you plan to get rid of the car in some moderated term, enjoy life, and don't worry about it. If, on the other hand, you plan to keep the car for a long time, I wouldn't take it to the dealer for oil changes on a bet...

Ignorance truly must be bliss...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I found it to be very accurate. Your car N55 motor requires 6.9 Qts for filter and oil pan dump. There is residual oil left in the pan, motor and oil filter housing. 6.5 qts. will usually be sufficient. In fact it's better to do that and add some later then to add too much.

This is why DIY is king...What your dealer wont do...

The problem is, the dealer doesn't just put in the 6.5 quarts that you have found to be sufficient. They put in what BMW calls for (capacity). As such, every motor they touch is over filled... Just sayin...

Your statement that it is better to add some later than add too much at the outset is DEAD ON. It is much better to run it slightly under filled than slightly over...
Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
OK, to answer my own question - it is NOT accurate (I was suspecting tat somehow....). My readouts today on a long trip showed fluctuations between two states: full and 3/4 full. Not accurate at all. I'd call it 'approximate'. Probably good enough not to damage the engine, but nothing beyond that. Never mind. Small thing to worry about.
Why would this be considered inaccurate? The difference between full and 3/4 is only a 1/4 quart of oil. Is a 1/4 quart resolution too crude given the typical variations in measurement conditions? Given your fluctuations, I would interpret you oil level as 7/8, or 1/8 quart less than max fill.

If you had a dipstick you probably couldn't measure any more accurately unless you also had a temperature gauge and a bubble level mounted in the engine compartment to ensure consistent measuring conditions. Of course the dipstick would also need some type of verification of accuracy.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
The problem is, the dealer doesn't just put in the 6.5 quarts that you have found to be sufficient. They put in what BMW calls for (capacity). As such, every motor they touch is over filled... Just sayin..
No, they don't put in what is listed as capacity. The service instructions will indicate how much is required, with and without filter change.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-10-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Why would this be considered inaccurate? The difference between full and 3/4 is only a 1/4 quart of oil. Is a 1/4 quart resolution too crude given the typical variations in measurement conditions? Given your fluctuations, I would interpret you oil level as 7/8, or 1/8 quart less than max fill.

If you had a dipstick you probably couldn't measure any more accurately unless you also had a temperature gauge and a bubble level mounted in the engine compartment to ensure consistent measuring conditions. Of course the dipstick would also need some type of verification of accuracy.
+1. When then readout fluctuates between two readings, it's because the level is "on the edge". In Yogi's case it's just between full and 3/4. That's what I said earlier about being buffered -- they try to reduce the fluctuation. But when it's at the edge of two values, you're going to see some fluctuation. Mine is now moving a bit between full and 3/4, it's no big deal. If you had a dipstick, do you think the oil stays exactly in one position on the stick and never moves up or down slightly? Come on. These types of statements of "problems" are just ignorance, and IMO, an attempt to complain about anything and everything possible.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 10-10-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
No, they don't put in what is listed as capacity. The service instructions will indicate how much is required, with and without filter change.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
I have talked to Momentum BMW point blank. They do put in "capacity with a filter change". In the case of a 550i, that is 9 quarts. The techs agree that the car is most likely overfilled slightly; they just don't think it is any big deal. I'm telling you now, that Im willing to bet significantly that the actual full amount is some amount between 8.5 and 9 qts. It is all but impossible to void the engine of all oil, thus the overfill condition. They use a bulk feed, digital gauge gun to fill the reservoir. Trust me, they don't put in 8.5 to compensate. Even if they did, they don't have the time to wait for the cars "meter" to ultimately provide the exact info.

Get a normal car with a dipstick up to operating temperature, turn it off, let it sit for at least 20 minutes, check it, and you are dead nuts accurate, period.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I have talked to Momentum BMW point blank. They do put in "capacity with a filter change". In the case of a 550i, that is 9 quarts. The techs agree that the car is most likely overfilled slightly; they just don't think it is any big deal. I'm telling you now, that Im willing to bet significantly that the actual full amount is some amount between 8.5 and 9 qts. It is all but impossible to void the engine of all oil, thus the overfill condition. They use a bulk feed, digital gauge gun to fill the reservoir. Trust me, they don't put in 8.5 to compensate. Even if they did, they don't have the time to wait for the cars "meter" to ultimately provide the exact info.

Get a normal car with a dipstick up to operating temperature, turn it off, let it sit for at least 20 minutes, check it, and you are dead nuts accurate, period.
Regarding the previous responses, I think it is true that it might be slightly overfilled with an oil change, but you won't see it on the readout. There's probably an amount of overage which is within the range for the "full" mark. My previous 335i also had electronic readout, and after owning it for 45K miles and occasionally topping off the oil, as well as observing how my readout works after a dealer-performed oil change, I have deduced more about its operation. I've gotten my car back from a dealer oil change, surprised to see it still shows 3/4 full (like it did when I dropped it off), but after driving a while longer, the display moves up to full. I have always seen it read full after an oil change (after this brief delay) and have never seen it show an overfill condition. If it did, I would take it in for some oil to be removed. Even though many of us would like a dipstick (including me), I think BMW knows what they are doing in this regard as far as showing the oil level.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
+1. When then readout fluctuates between two readings, it's because the level is "on the edge". In Yogi's case it's just between full and 3/4. That's what I said earlier about being buffered -- they try to reduce the fluctuation. But when it's at the edge of two values, you're going to see some fluctuation. Mine is now moving a bit between full and 3/4, it's no big deal. If you had a dipstick, do you think the oil stays exactly in one position on the stick and never moves up or down slightly? Come on. These types of statements of "problems" are just ignorance, and IMO, an attempt to complain about anything and everything possible.
In a nutshell, yes it does stay in one spot, as long as these directions are followed:

On any dipstick vehicle, you check it in the morning--on level ground, it WILL NOT fluctuate from the previous day; that is unless your vehicle is burning crazy amounts of oil.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
In a nutshell, yes it does stay in one spot, as long as these directions are followed:

On any dipstick vehicle, you check it in the morning--on level ground, it WILL NOT fluctuate from the previous day; that is unless your vehicle is burning crazy amounts of oil.
Assume the dipstick has tick marks at 1/4 quart intervals. At some point in time, the oil will have been "used" to where it falls just a hair above the 3/4 full line. It wouldn't take much to fluctuate that micrometer between the two level values. Since the dipstick is "analog", your eye basically just looks quickly at the level and "knows" what it is. You don't sit there debating with yourself whether the oil level is just a tiny fraction above or below that 3/4 mark -- you "know" what it is. An electronic readout is digital. Our readouts are not designed to show micro-gradations, only 1/4 quart intervals. This is deemed adequate for the intended purpose, since we really don't need to know the level in finer increments. At a point in time, the digital value will be very close to the point at which the readout needs to show full or 3/4. During this time, the system is susceptible to switching briefly between the two values. After a few more miles, additional oil will be consumed, and the readout will then stay steady at the new, lower reading. It's very logical, IMO, and really makes complete sense.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
There are unsupported assumptions floating around here: sensor is inaccurate; actions taken by stealer techs. The oil capacity of this engine is sufficient to cover a lot of deficiencies, and we shouldn't believe all these problems are worthy of hysteria.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 540A sport
Nicely put tdepetra
2001 bmw 540iA, steptronic, sport pkg, shades, parktronics, NAV, DSP, cold weather pkg, premium pkg, rainsensor, Xenons, orient blue, Sand leather, M5 rear bumper/front air dam, decklid spoiler, exhaust tips
Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:

Okay, now apply this methodology to the electronic sensor. Same piece of level ground, same time of day, and same engine temp. Has anyone has seen fluctuations in the electronic measurement under these conditions?

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)