Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Mod to the JBD mod

Hypothetically, if someone wanted access to the extra hp/tq offered by the JBD, but wanted to minimize the long term stress of continuously over stock rail pressure (extra stress on the high pressure fuel pump, injector bodies, etc.) one could do something like this:

Buy the JBD.

Buy a couple switches from an autoparts store.

Buy some velcro tape.

Buy 1 or more wire leaded resistors (so when switched in parallel with the 10k on board potentiometer you can get to lower R values and higher hp/tq settings when desired).

Buy some elctrical wire and solder

Set the JBD potentiometer to its max value (lowest adjustment setting) with is ~10k.

Solder and wire in the resistor(s) of your choosing.

Route the wires and switches into the cabin so you can throw the power switches when you feel the need for more than stock power, and then throw it back to minimal settings to reduce unnecessary stress on the system when not needed.

Here's what it might hypothetically look like where two resistors are being used to allow 4 seperate operating settings (minimal ~10k with no switches thrown, 65% ~3.3k with switch 1, 75% ~2.5k with switch 2, 85% ~ 1.6k with switch 1 and 2 thrown).

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBD_Mod_Wire.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	296237   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBD_Mod_Nom.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	296238   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBD_Mod_sw1.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	296239   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBD_Mod_sw2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	296240   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBD_Mod_sw12.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	296241  

Click image for larger version

Name:	JBD_Mod_Cabin.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	296242  

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Ads by Google
Old 10-08-2011, 05:41 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Hypothetically of course!

So how does (did) it work? Hypothetically?

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 10-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Several months of theoretical analysis has produced results inline with expectations, no CEL's, no abnormal behaviors.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Interesting approach. Reminds me of the throttle engagement switches we used to use for timing devices, nitrous kits and so on. But that was back before the day when custom timing and fuel curves could be programmed for different throttle applications.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:30 AM

I would probably go JBD if it was cockpit adjustable. There's just too many hours stuck in traffic or driving busy city streets to leave it enabled all the time.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Interesting "theory"! If a parts-bin ///M switch happened to fit in a blank switch location that would be pretty slick too.

I had a JBD installed for about a year when I had my D, and while I enjoyed it immensely about 90% of the time it was just along for the ride...so cockpit control is a great idea.

-Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasa-d View Post
I would probably go JBD if it was cockpit adjustable. There's just too many hours stuck in traffic or driving busy city streets to leave it enabled all the time.
I thought that I read they are working on just that.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
That's a great concept, but in practice how easy is it to remove all of that before a dealer visit, theoretically speaking of course?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 AM

About 1 minute more than removing it without the switches. Those switches are held in place with velcro tape and the wire loom routes easily into the cabin. A water separating secondary fuel filter, if one happened to be present, would take a lot longer to remove.

Something that wasn't analyzed is throwing a switch during high fuel requirements (where the JBD is causing the most distortion in the measured rail pressure). This would probably be a bad idea as this would cause a large step function to occur in the ECM "measured" rail pressure. Watching the requested and measured rail pressure with the BT I'd expect, but have no data to back this up, that this step function might cause enough discrepancy to throw a code. However, at low load conditions (idling, coasting, etc.) this doesn't seem to be a problem as the JBD does not appear to be causing much distortion.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Hypothetically, if someone wanted access to the extra hp/tq offered by the JBD, but wanted to minimize the long term stress of continuously over stock rail pressure (extra stress on the high pressure fuel pump, injector bodies, etc.) one could do something like this:

Buy the JBD.s
Wouldn't that void the JBD warranty?

(I crack myself up...)

A
Old 10-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Wouldn't that void the JBD warranty?

(I crack myself up...)

A
I would expect so. But I didn't ask The Burgermeister Meisterburger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_C...8TV_special%29).

I actually have more respect for the JBD after spending some time theoretically evaluating what and how it's operating. It's more sophisticated than I at first expected. A really nice job for the price point. I'd rather have a flash tuner that can fully remap the ECM and then return to stock, but I'm not aware of anything like this for the US version yet.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I'd rather have a flash tuner that can fully remap the ECM and then return to stock, but I'm not aware of anything like this for the US version yet.
Agree 100%.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM

I thought Dinan finally said they have something or will soon to sell.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I thought Dinan finally said they have something or will soon to sell.
Suppose to be working on it. I will be at a tuner open-house in 2 weeks w/Steve Dinan, I will ask.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D
I am selling my JBD if any one is interested. Loved it, but my wife drives the car now and couldn't care less. If this is not the proper place for this, my apologies.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM

@ Snipe Dinan sent me an email a while ago and they were working on something, Terry at JB had also written to me of a possible dial up inside the cabin and that did not go either, I called my friends at RENNtech and they came up with a flash, just call them. I am not authorized to say in this blog but the other site if I may Mr. Moderator (Bimmerboost has info on that) I am planning to go from the island on vacation soon and will get the flash done, not the first time Ive done this cause i was their first Guinea Pig for Mini-Madness on my 02 mcs, I cranked 194 whp on the WHEELS 3 yrs ago!! so I trust their product I will keep u guys posted ok
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM

I always get fearful when I see the word RENNtech and how my pocketbook will feel. I looked once at their exhaust options for AMG Mercedes and they seem awfully proud of their piping.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:19 AM

@ Snipe you have to reason here if you buy a riceburner like I use to own many, many yrs ago then you pay for the expense of it, now if you pay for luxury then you must maintain that STATUS QUO, same if you a HIGH end babe, LOL.

I have seen one of RENNtech's employee in the course of 8 hrs build an exhaust system BY HAND!! for a Mercedes. Now, you wont get any finer than that. That said, I am not knocking others out there, my personal experience is that RENNtech is very professional and down to earth with its customers, that is why even though i am paying a bit more I will be getting quality workmanship. gracias!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 AM

My issue with their exhaust prices is I could have something hand built for less. Not trying to sound cheap but when I see prices that are easily twice what I could go to a custom turbo kit builder for or even a chassis builder then to me that is ridiculous. I can understand compensation for R&D and all but the one price that sticks out to me is something like $3k for resonator bypass pipes. Anyone who designs custom exhaust systems for a living could certainly accomplish that task and not come out with crap.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 AM

Very true but as you state ANYONE can do it, again, if you buy a luxury car then you pay luxury prices. I also look for the bang for the buck, trust me, I do. an example I just got me a set of VMR 710 19" with its tires a set of Hancook Ventus V12 235 35 for $1200 and only 6 mo old here the link:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...9-quot-Vmr-710

Good luck if you decide which alternative your going to use
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM

And how is going to a shop that specializes in building race Porsches to get some bypass pipes on a Benz not classified as paying luxury prices? Is it not luxury prices simply because it is significantly cheaper than a place that sells a similar product for a lot more money but said place specializes in Mercedes?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:03 AM

While a flash tune would be nice, the convenience of getting it done isn't. The other problem as I see it is, dealers often reflash ECU's to update them with the latest firmware as part of BMW protocal. What happens when the $1100 Renntech flash tune is written over by the dealer? I guess we would have to park your cars for several more days, remove the ECU and pay another $25 to have it shipped out and reflashed?

Lastly, for the price of $1100 the performance gains are on par with less expensive options such as the JBD (see below) which can be had for substantially less without the added inconvenience. Although hp is down by 10 the w/JBD, it is made up for in the torque dept. I would also like to see an "independent" dyno test; one not sponsored by Renntech. The numbers below were reported by an owner that I know at a shop that I am familiar with.

Until Renntech and other flash tuners develope a way to reflash the ECU without requiring it to be removed and shipped out everytime the dealer overwrites the flash as far as I am concerned it's not a viable option. It will be interesting to see how Dinan addresses this obstacle.

JBD Dyno - Dyno Jet Smoothing 4
4th gear:

Run 1: 300.17 WHP, 445.08 WTQ 100%
Run 2: 301.51 WHP, 442.44 WTQ 100%
Run 3: 267.16 WHP, 415.57 WTQ (JBD set to 0%)

Last edited by cssnms; 11-04-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 AM

@ CSSNMS here is the email I sent to RENNTECH ok

Good Morning Bob, I ran across a question or remark made in one of the BMW forums I quote
"The hard drive is flashed....no chips anymore - I beleive everytime you service at BMW you have to again reboot your upgraded performance"
Will it actually do this according to this comment, if so what will RENNtech do if is done and if it cannot be done, I need a response hopefully positive to post it against the Nay sayers. Gracias

Then I got the response from them;

Dear Bob,

There's no hard drive in the DDE computer. It's a Tricore MCU TC17 series & it uses embedded flash memory only.

Regards,

I guess this answers you doubt in reflash from the dealer
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 AM

First of all I am not a "naysayer," but rather an owner that would like to see progress in this area as much as the next guy and one who appears to be a little more versed in this area then you are. Secondly, if you are going to QUOTE someone, make sure you write EXACTLY what was said or written. Nowhere did I mention "hard drive" or "chip." What I said was, dealers often reflash the ECU in order to update the ECU. As I read it, Renntech's response is simply correcting your statement as it relates to "hard drives" and the like.

The ECU is also known as the DME or DDE and a dealer reflash would overwrite any tuning maps including Renntech's. It's an issue every tuner is aware of. The question is, how will Renntech deal with a DME/DDE dealer overwrite? That is not a dig at Renntech but rather it's a reality that customers need to be aware of before plunking down $1100 and one the tuner needs to address. I will contact Renntech directly; at least this way I will know the question gets asked correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
@ CSSNMS here is the email I sent to RENNTECH ok

Good Morning Bob, I ran across a question or remark made in one of the BMW forums I quote
"The hard drive is flashed....no chips anymore - I beleive everytime you service at BMW you have to again reboot your upgraded performance"
Will it actually do this according to this comment, if so what will RENNtech do if is done and if it cannot be done, I need a response hopefully positive to post it against the Nay sayers. Gracias

Then I got the response from them;

Dear Bob,

There's no hard drive in the DDE computer. It's a Tricore MCU TC17 series & it uses embedded flash memory only.

Regards,

I guess this answers you doubt in reflash from the dealer
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 AM

Would be nice if Renntech dealers could do the flash to avoid shipping it back. But going to guess that no dealer does the volume to justify the cost of the needed hardware for that.