Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Post X3 Break Pads Suggestion please

I am planning to replace X3 Front breaks as it time. Can you suggest which break pads should i use? Should I go with original BMW break pads or can I use other Break pads that will fit X3. If i have to use Other which one is recomended? How long will break pads last?
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
There is a lot of info on brake pads and the difference between OEM and aftermarket pads in these threads. Brakes are pretty much driver specific in that some drivers will get a lot of miles out of their pads and rotors while others go through them very quickly. This depends on how you drive your car. Generally the rear pads on an X3 wear down first, then the fronts about 15 or 20K miles later. Again all depending on how the car was driven. The rear pads may not need new rotors, the front pads almost certainly will. You don't mention if your car is under some kind of warranty, if not then a good independent (indy) BMW oriented shop will be a good place to have the brake work done. Actually, brakes are not difficult to install and virtually any quality brake shop can do the work if they have the right pads and rotors. A light will go on when your brakes need work. Check your manual and familiarize yourself with what all the little warning icons on the dash mean. Good luck and check out the other threads here for more info.

Last edited by UncleJ; 10-09-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
I went with centric rotors and Pagid pads, feel just like new OEM
Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppatnayakuni View Post
I am planning to replace X3 Front breaks as it time. Can you suggest which break pads should i use? Should I go with original BMW break pads or can I use other Break pads that will fit X3. If i have to use Other which one is recomended? How long will break pads last?
If you are looking for some better stopping power, try Hawk Pads. They are even recommended on Dinan's website.

When mine go that is what I will look to. Speed and extra power is always a priority with me, but brakes I never skimp on. Having an engine fail is a pita. Brakes a matter of life and death.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
If you are looking for some better stopping power, try Hawk Pads. They are even recommended on Dinan's website.

When mine go that is what I will look to. Speed and extra power is always a priority with me, but brakes I never skimp on. Having an engine fail is a pita. Brakes a matter of life and death.
Hawk's simply suck. I have issues with my braking now and it has come to the brake pads. The stopping power is poor on these. I had these installed 2 weeks ago and the X3 brake lines were flushed and still I have the issue of 25% or more less stopping power than my OE pads. The service tech came to me and personally told me "Hawk's are garbage". He has also had them on his M3 and he hated them. He has driven a BMW for 15 years and has had quite a few brake jobs over the years and he stated the Hawks provide much less brake dust, but also much less stopping power.

I am going to call Tirerack today and see if I can return them. But in no way do Hawk's compare to OE. I found out the hard way.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
BRAKES please

BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES
I hope my brakes don't break
If your brakes break get new ones
I broke my brakes braking to hard
My broken brakes aren't braking well
I braked with my brakes hoping not to break anything
I braked hard with my brakes
Old 10-12-2011, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES
I hope my brakes don't break
If your brakes break get new ones
I broke my brakes braking to hard
My broken brakes aren't braking well
I braked with my brakes hoping not to break anything
I braked hard with my brakes
Hahaha... I was waiting for someone to say this!

I went with Zimmerman Coat-Z rotors and Cool Carbon BRAKE pads on both of our vehicles. Couldn't be happier with that setup!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Cool Carbon

Where and what did you hear about these pads. How do they compare to OEM and how about the dust. Have you had to lay on them really hard yet, and if so did they fade? How much and where did you get them?

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Where and what did you hear about these pads. How do they compare to OEM and how about the dust. Have you had to lay on them really hard yet, and if so did they fade? How much and where did you get them?

Sorry for all the questions.
I've been using them on my 330i for about 2 years. So when it was time to do the x3's brakes I went with the same setup.

Unfortunately, they are a little pricy. I think around 110.00 per axle for the brake pads from Bavarian Auto.

I haven't had any brake fading whatsoever. Even on my 330i I've had no problems during an autocross or under spirited driving. I do change the brake fluid every 2 years too.

Also, its recommended that you do a brake bedding procedure. I used one found under the e46 wiki by Zekenhaus racing I think.

My opinion is that they stop better than OEM, are less expensive than genuine BMW pads, and produce less dust. So far so good!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
If you want long life rotor friendly and no brake dust a ceramic pad is about the only way to go. I have installed Akebono Euro Ceramic pads with BMW rotors up front and no rotor change rear since they didn't really wear much. The Akebono's take 2-300 miles to bed in with normal driving and show no dust. Once bedded in the braking modulation is close to BMW but doesn't not have the initial bite.
These will probably last 80K miles since the OEMs lasted 65K.

If you want help you should state what your requirements are:
cost
brake modulation
brake dust
life expectancy
etc...
Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
Info on choosing brake pads.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I've been reading a lot of positives on the Cool Carbons for the street. My X3 rears are about shot---but I've got the maintenance plan so I'll be getting OEM. But if the rears tend to go first, I might be on my own for the fronts in which case I'll probably go OEM rotors and Cool Carbon pads. I've heard negatives on the Hawk stuff and ran Mintex on a past car never to run those again.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (E83)
Thumbs up Thank you! This was very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Thank you for this link. It is very helpful. I am aiming at lowering dust and improving bite.