Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: Now: Infiniti G35X
iPhone 4S, Siri, and bmw snap in adapter

Hi,

So those of us who have purchased the iPhone 4 snap in cradle media adapter and who plan to upgrade to the iPhone 4S should take comfort in the fact that the iPhone 4S has the exact same dimensions and same 30 pin adapter so presumably it should work just fine with the cradle/adapter.

The new Siri interface for the iPhone 4S looks very cool and would be a perfect fit the BMW Connected Drive app. It works completely by voice - it understands you and talks back to you and can provide a wealth of information (weather, traffic, text someone for you, email someone, put in a reminder in your calendar, etc). I wonder if BMW will find a way to integrate Siri so that we can use it with the iPhone 4S in the cradle. That would truly be excellent.

Jeremy
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i convertible
It would be nice if you could program a code word you could say to activate Siri instead of having to press a button. I know that sounds lazy but it would be nice to be able to do it from a distance.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Siri works over Bluetooth (BT), so it might work in a BMW with BT already. I had a Parrot BT kit in another car a year ago and the built in iPhone voice dialing could be accessed by holding down the call button on the Parrot device. Might work this way in a BMW also? I guess we will see.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport
Hey Jeremy,

Thanks so much for the info! These next few weeks are going to be really exciting for me! I've wanted an iPhone since the first one came out but I'm a Verizon customer so I waited forever and ever for them to come to Verizon. ...then, when they finally did come to Verizon (in February), I didn't want to buy an iPhone knowing that a new one would be coming soon. So, now, finally, I will be getting an iPhone 4S on Friday!

On top of all of that, I have ordered my first BMW. It's a 2012 X3 35i M Sport!! It should be in by the end of the month and I ordered the iPhone cradle with it! Oh happy days!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Anyone try it yet?

So I have my iPhone 4S, but my X3 won't be here for a couple weeks...has anyone tried this yet? Curious to see how well the 4S works with the snap-in cradle.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Just paired my new iPhone 4S to my 2011 E92 (with iDrive/NAV) and of course BT calls work fine, but you cannot activate Siri by pressing or holding the phone button on the steering wheel as I had hoped. If you do activate Siri by holding the home button on the iPhone, Siri's voice comes over the car speakers and works well though.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info Alan! Can't wait to get my X3!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Any iPhone cases you guys would recommend? Preferably something that comes off easy so that you can quickly plug it into the snap-in adapter or perhaps there is a case that is so slim that it fits inside the adapter without removing it?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Does the 4S still get the antenna boost? I know the 4S uses a different antenna technology inside than the 4 does.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alan View Post
Just paired my new iPhone 4S to my 2011 E92 (with iDrive/NAV) and of course BT calls work fine, but you cannot activate Siri by pressing or holding the phone button on the steering wheel as I had hoped. If you do activate Siri by holding the home button on the iPhone, Siri's voice comes over the car speakers and works well though.
My iphone 4s doesn't seem to work at all with my 2009 335i. It connects but you can't make a phone call. And if you try the radio gets all weird. The buttons stop working. Volume doesn't work. Really strange
Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90
It's working fine with my 2009 320i
Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonga View Post
Does the 4S still get the antenna boost? I know the 4S uses a different antenna technology inside than the 4 does.
Yes. The 4S has a new "dual diversity" antenna. One at the top and another at the bottom and the phone decides which to use based on what it thinks would provide the better signal.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 3 Series Coupe M Sport
Hi there - does this work on new BMW's without satnav iDrive?

I have the USB and Bluetooth options in my car coming next month and I am thinking of moving from HTC android to iPhone 4s because of SIRI.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535ix
IPhone 4S Snap-In Adapter

I have the new IPhone 4S; pairs easily and nicely with my 2011 535ix (wireless Bluetooth streaming, etc.) HOWEVER, I went by my local BMW dealer and tried the $264 media version snap-in adapter that has only recently been available for the IPhone 4 (not 4S). It didn't work: could not charge the phone through it and couldn't tell if the rooftop antenna connection was made or not.

Has anyone had luck with any version (there are 3-4 different versions) of the IPhone 4 snap-in adapter with the 4S?

My dealer's regional tech rep said it wouldn't work but I tried it anyway - and he appears to be right. I contacted BMW customer service, and (as usual) they didn't have much clue.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 PM

Try re-pairing your 4s and it should work fine in the cradle. Let us know.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I must admit, I'm a little surprised that you think re-pairing the IPhone 4S will make the phone work with the dIPhone 4 snap-in cradle. But sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, so I'll give it a shot although it might be a couple of weeks before I can get back to the BMW dealer.

The reason I'm surprised is that the IPhone 4 cradle would NOT charge my IPhone 4S. Charging is a hardwire connection from the phone through the cradle to the car, so it shouldn't make any difference even if the phone is not paired at all. If not paired at all, clearly there will be no Bluethooth functionality, but the phone should still charge.

Any reaction?

Thanks again
Old 10-26-2011, 09:52 AM

You may be right. I ordered a 4S and will be receiving it later today. I have the media adapter for iPhone 4 in my 2011 550xi (canadian model, BMW APPS option chosen, and media adapter purchased and installed after). I'll be trying it out tonight and let you know.

I did a search on google yesterday for 6NF and iPhone 4S and found another forum discussion on this with someone who apparently got it to work by re-pairing the phone. Not sure why it would either but I'm (perhaps naively) hopeful.. other people have also said it works fine on that forum.

I'm sorry I can't point you to the forum itself as I'm in the middle of a busy work day, but I remember searching with keywords such as "iphone 4 media adapter" "6NF", "cradle", "iPhone 4S" and was able to find it pretty quick.

J
Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 AM

I'm in the middle of something too and can't check right now the other forum you mentioned, but I'll try to later today.

After you get your IPhone 4S (you'll like it) and try it in your existing cradle, please let me know if it works or not - I hope it does.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:20 PM

For jer38lms

Have you had a chance to try your new IPhone 4S with the snap-in adapter that you purchased earlier for the IPhone 4?

I'm very interested in what you've learned.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
iPhone 4S snap in adapter

I picked up my new iPhone 4S yesterday and excitedly went to my local BMW dealership's parts department to pick up the iPhone 4 snap in adapter. The one I had been using for my old 3GS phone doesn't accommodate the new form factor, which is no news.

The adapter fits nicely, the phone paired perfectly with the car's Bluetooth system and I can make and receive calls, access my phone book, etc. with no problems.

But the car refuses to recognize the iPhone as an external audio device - no iPod functionality at all. The CD/Multimedia display reads "not supported" when the iPhone is in the cradle. Take it out of the cradle and the display reads "not connected". So I've been reading about everyone having no problem with the iPhone 4S pairing etc. with their vehicles, but has anyone else experienced the same issue I'm having?

I stopped at the BMW dealer this afternoon and was told it's likely a software-based issue that will be addressed "at some point". But that wasn't much comfort.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
" I picked up my new iPhone 4S yesterday and excitedly went to my local BMW dealership's parts department to pick up the iPhone 4 snap in adapter. The one I had been using for my old 3GS phone doesn't accommodate the new form factor

The adapter fits nicely, the phone paired perfectly with the car's Bluetooth system and I can make and receive calls, access my phone book, etc. with no problems.

But the car refuses to recognize the iPhone as an external audio device - no iPod functionality at all. The CD/Multimedia display reads "not supported" when the iPhone is in the cradle. Take it out of the cradle and the display reads "not connected". So I've been reading about everyone having no problem with the iPhone 4S pairing etc. with their vehicles, but has anyone else experienced the same issue I'm having?

I stopped at the BMW dealer this afternoon and was told it's likely a software-based issue that will be addressed "at some point". But that wasn't much comfort. "

make sure that it is a media adapter, i think there is different version of iPhone 4 cradle, I recently bought an iPhone 4 cradle media adapter and was able to us iPhone 4s without problem. There is a drawback that i have to push the home button on the iPhone 4s to use SIRI. What a pain, while driving.

Hope that helps
Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon29 View Post
" I picked up my new iPhone 4S yesterday and excitedly went to my local BMW dealership's parts department to pick up the iPhone 4 snap in adapter. The one I had been using for my old 3GS phone doesn't accommodate the new form factor

I stopped at the BMW dealer this afternoon and was told it's likely a software-based issue that will be addressed "at some point". But that wasn't much comfort. "

make sure that it is a media adapter, i think there is different version of iPhone 4 cradle, I recently bought an iPhone 4 cradle media adapter and was able to us iPhone 4s without problem. There is a drawback that i have to push the home button on the iPhone 4s to use SIRI. What a pain, while driving.

Hope that helps
It turns out that the build date of the car is the determining factor here. My 2011 model was built in 04/2010 and the part I was sold yesterday was for a later production date. I returned the "media" adapter and bought a "music" adapter today and the system works flawlessly. The parts person didn't ask me for the build date when I first went in to buy the adapter.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Question:

Fundamental question for both photon29 and hollycir500:

Does the IPhone 4 snap-in adapter (the media version for photon29 and then the music version for hollycir500) charge the IPhone 4S?

When you put the IPhone 4S in the cradle, do you see the IPhone's battery symbol on the phone screen indicating that it is indeed charging through the cradle?

I have a 2011 535ix with a build date of mid-October, 2010 (which unfortunately precludes my having the BMW App - too bad). But I have all the other options such as 6NF, 6VC, 6AA, 6AB, SA639, etc. I could NOT get the IPhone 4 media adapter (Part # 84212218390) to charge the IPhone 4S, which indicates to me (at least for my car) that the IPhone 4 media adapter doesn't work with the 4S. I did not try the music adapter (Part # 84109164213 since the dealer didn't have one in stock.

But without a cradle and using only Bluetooth pairing (which was easy to set up), not only do I get all the phone functions (including an extensive contact list) but wireless streaming of music (such as from Pandora).

Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Coupe with M Pk
I just upgraded to the iPhone 4S from the 3GS and went to get the 4 snap-in adaptor. The BMW parts guy said that the 4S does not work with the 4 and that people that have tried it have all returned the unit. BMW parts said must wait until BMW updates for the 4S. .
If anyone has seen the 4S actually working and performing all its functions in the 4 adaptor, let me know.
Until then, I will use the apple cable to usb.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i Sport
I have a 2012 X5 with the BMW Apps option and the iPhone 4 snap-in adapter, to which I recently introduced by brand new iPhone 4S. Everything is working fine: iDrive controller can be used to navigate the supported apps (e.g. Calendar, Twitter, Facebook, Music, etc.), iPhone charges while in the cradle, etc. BTW, you do need to make sure under the car's Settings that you have checked Bluetooth Audio under the Bluetooth setting (located under the Phone top heading) in order to get music playing through the car's speakers. It is really slick to be able to navigate the iPhone's music selections using the iDrive, with a full range of search options (e.g. by genre, by artist, by album, etc.). Added bonus is that the nav screen displays the album cover artwork while the music is playing. If the car is in park, one can also watch videos from the phone. Basically, most of the media stuff one can see on iTunes is available to be navigated from the nav screen using the iDrive controller.

BTW, I read on another post where BMW engineers are now working on more robust Siri integration for a future update to the car software. It's a natural, since use of voice commands is the safest way to access the phone.