Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:14 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Nice to know that most are happy with performance. I didn't say I dont appreciate what the X3 can do, I just think it can do it better. There is always room for improvement. And the desire is there or the new X3 would not have added power and handling control.

My dissapointment stems from the fact that there are not even the simplest improvements available at a reasonable cost to benefit ratio.

Really don't think its that much to ask.

I have checked bavauto and they really don't offer anything either. :-(
It's not much to ask if the car you buy needs cheap add-ons to perform decently. IMO, BMW is not that kind of car. (I know from experience that some on this board disagree. That's okay with me.)
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I think it's a great performing vehicle and meets its design intent. It has many features for great long road trips, short of adequate interior storage and maybe more comfortable seating. I think the fuel mileage and acceleration are great and the handling is very good, even in the non-sport pack model. If I want to go fast and drive a go kart I drive my M3.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 AM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
I ve lapped all cars with same or less BHP on the mosport track... It leans on its side, the x-drive goes nuts, the brakes smell and the gearbox gets hot and rough, but the x3 just wont say no on a track day. It looks funny on the track, especially when tailgating a mustang, but you know what, even though the first time I took it for a laugh, its pretty darn competent.
A good friend of mine has a G35 coup, he is an above average driver, and on the track I was right behind him for 10 laps straight.

BMW's carry the sport heritage, there is no BMW that wont handle well or that will disappoint.

The 3.0si model had enough kick to hit 0-60 in well under 7 secs and at the same time, fuel economy is just great for the power and weight.

I love my X3, even though I have now given it to my expecting wife. Since its future looks like it will be the school run, I think that a smaller, more fun Bimmer is on its way

The only thing I dont like is the gearbox in D mode. very slow reacting, can never guess what you want it to do. Sounds like its GM..
Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
It's not much to ask if the car you buy needs cheap add-ons to perform decently. IMO, BMW is not that kind of car. (I know from experience that some on this board disagree. That's okay with me.)

I guess our expectations are different. I bought the X3 naively thinking it was based on the 3 series and that as time went by and it got longer in the tooth I could make slight improvements to adjust for time and familiarity. At that time I did not do my research well I can see in hindsight.

As such I will be getting rid of the X3 in about 3 months and if anyone wants an MT I will be putting it up for sale. It has been maintained well, washed every week, cleaned inside every two, and detailed every month.

Since BMW insists on shoving RFT's down my throat I will be moving to an Audi S4. At least at 333 bhp if I get bored I can make changes.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-14-2012, 07:29 AM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
I will be moving to an Audi S4
Old 07-14-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I guess our expectations are different. I bought the X3 naively thinking it was based on the 3 series and that as time went by and it got longer in the tooth I could make slight improvements to adjust for time and familiarity. At that time I did not do my research well I can see in hindsight.

As such I will be getting rid of the X3 in about 3 months and if anyone wants an MT I will be putting it up for sale. It has been maintained well, washed every week, cleaned inside every two, and detailed every month.

Since BMW insists on shoving RFT's down my throat I will be moving to an Audi S4. At least at 333 bhp if I get bored I can make changes.
I had a 2001 S4 and until I modified the suspension with MTM/Bilstein bits and did a stage 1 chip, it was a pig. A very nicely built car with fantastic fit and finish, but dynamically, a pig. They guy I sold it to had a friend who had a B5 wagon that he put an RS4 2.7TT engine in and THAT was a fast car---amazingly fast.

The V8 S4 in the B6 fixed much of what I had complaints about in the B5, but when it came down to a B6 S4 or my E46 M3, the M3 just destroyed it in terms of overall balance and driving experience. I haven't driven the supercharged V6 you say you'll get, but until Audi fixes the handling dynamics that suffer due to the AWD packaging that makes the car nose heavy, I'll keep my BMWs--especially my E46 M3.

Now an X3 vs S4 comparison isn't really a valid comparison anyway, since both have different design intents and only really share the fact that they offer AWD.

I personally feel that Audi's S cars are more and more just sport-optioned base models and you need to get into an RS car if you want an equivalent M car. Plus, I remember Audi part prices being rediculously higher than BMW stuff and more complicated to disassemble and repair.

You'll no doubt like the S4--it's a great car--but I wouldn't say it makes the X3 a bad performer.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 PM

I did not want to repeat my mistakes with the 07 AT x3 so I have been researching the S4 for over a year now.

The Audi's handling and performance far exceeds its competitor the 335i xdrive. I drove both multiple times. I priced them out and they came within $500.00 optioned the same.

I like riding up higher with an SUV but that is about all the X3 had to offer me at this time. To buy an SUV and then spend another $1,500.00 to replace the tires and wheels because BMW insists on RFT's is foolish to me. Not only will it cost more money, but BMW will blame every subsequent problem on me changing tires. Sick of arguing with BMWNA. They can tweak the suspension all they want. I can tell immediately that they are RFT's.

I see that some people are still complaining of drive by wire hesitation. There is no such issue with the Audi. I know I tried to make it fail.

Maybe when BMW stops worrying about cup holders and appealing to soccer Mom's I will get another. I had high hopes that BMW would actually introduce a real M Class X3. Wow what a beautiful machine that would have been. A daily hauler that hauled ass.

I agree that comparing the X3 to an S4 is not fair, but I don't think calling the X3 a performance vehicle is correct either. It is a very nice spirited SUV that handles very well. I think the true strength of the X3 is its handling and not performance.

My current X3 is a great vehicle and I really dont want to take away from the vehicle and its drivers. They are both great. It's just not enough performance for me at $50k plus. And having no way to improve upon it with a Dinan chip or even a simple cold air intake means the new one will become old quickly for me.

BTW SJ I am glad you are happy with a GM6 tranny. Me it was one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned in my life. Until I got my current MT I was ready to swear off BMW.

In the meantime if anyone is interested in an MT that has been well maintained both inside and out send me a PM.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-14-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
The Audi's handling and performance far exceeds its competitor the 335i xdrive.

BTW SJ I am glad you are happy with a GM6 tranny. Me it was one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned in my life. Until I got my current MT I was ready to swear off BMW.
First off, its not fair to blame the X3 for not having after market performance upgrades available.

Its an SUV for crying out loud. Its not a sports car. Performance and handling discussion should be relative to the SUV sector, not the M3/S4/etc category.

There are dudes that proved that laws of physics cannot be broken. A tall vehicle can never handle like a low one. Period. "Hi, my name is centre of gravity, have we met?"

For me, showing interest to replace the X3 with an S4 clearly indicates that you bought the wrong car for your taste in the first place. There is absolutely no comparison between the two.
X3 Vs Q5, yes. (we smoke it btw...)

For the record, the 335i (without x-drive) is far more capable than the S4. Qualified automotive journalists have tons of video reviews about the two. If you like the S4 more, its a different story and no one has the right to criticize that. Its your preference and that is fine. Go for it!

PS: if you read my post carefully, you will notice that I HATE THE GM6 trans. MT is always the way to go!!!

Good luck what ever you do
Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:

What troubles me is that there are no easy performance modifications that aren't custom. Not even a simple CAI.

So far the only way I can get added power is to have a custom exhaust and intake built. can't even get a short throw for my MT without customization.

Anyone knows different, please share here.
I don't know different but would going to a tuner help an X3? Love mine btw
Old 07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjladopoulos View Post
... A tall vehicle can never handle like a low one. Period...
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that point (see my Post #17 in this thread).

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that point (see my Post #17 in this thread).
+1

Roll center and overall suspension geometry is very important vs just center of gravity

http://www.modified.com/tech/0508_sc...3/viewall.html

http://www.neohio-scca.org/comp_clin...namics2007.pdf

Last edited by Dominic49; 07-19-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 AM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
I agree with you if you compare the X3 to a "whatever" lower car like a Corolla...

But think about the X3 vs a 3 series.. both tuned to handling perfection. The 3 will always be better cause its lower and lighter.

To make an SUV handle better, you need to what? lower and stiffen it...

Then you simply discard the SUV nature.

Am I wrong? Plus you need to handle all that extra weight compared to a non-SUV vehicle.

PS: the X3's handling if phenomenal, for an SUV (or SAV if you like).. In my first post, I told you guys that I was lapping most cars on the mosport track, which could not be done if the X3 was not great.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
First off, its not fair to blame the X3 for not having after market performance upgrades available.

Its an SUV for crying out loud. Its not a sports car. Performance and handling discussion should be relative to the SUV sector, not the M3/S4/etc category.

For the record, the 335i (without x-drive) is far more capable than the S4. Qualified automotive journalists have tons of video reviews about the two. If you like the S4 more, its a different story and no one has the right to criticize that. Its your preference and that is fine. Go for it!

PS: if you read my post carefully, you will notice that I HATE THE GM6 trans. MT is always the way to go!!!

Good luck what ever you do
"Performance and handling should be relative etc......" Um the whole thread is asking about performance as it relates to the X3.

For the record the 335i (with or without xdrive) is slower than the S4, less g's in the skid pad test, and brakes almost 30 farther than the S4. This is from R & T, C & D, and comparing BMW's specs to the S4 proves that as well. And there are a ton of videos showing that. It is also after driving both vehicles repeatedly in very "spirited" situations.

Finally I bought the X3 as a go between a sports type car and utility vehicle. At the time it was the best the market offered. My major mistake as I stated before was thinking I could make small improvements as time wore on.

I tried to give BMW a chance thinking the new one would compensate for the previous short comings. Nope they got rid of one of its biggest redeeming qualities, MT. And from what I can read they still have lag issues with the transmission. And imo it's handling is now worse as the body roll is very noticeable upon entering a curved highway ramp at good speed. Combine that with the RFT issue and I had to write off BMW.

The kiss of death is BMW's poor financing at this time. Audi 1.9% and first month payment. BMW 4.9% (in this economy). Easy math.

I don't think of the BMW X3 as a performance vehicle, but it certainly handles well. I will putting mine up for sale in Early September so I you like MT's pm me.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-19-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Still driving my '79 323i

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 3.0; 1979 323i
Thumbs down

Quote:
"Performance and handling should be relative etc......" Um the whole thread is asking about performance as it relates to the X3.

For the record the 335i (with or without xdrive) is slower than the S4, less g's in the skid pad test, and brakes almost 30 farther than the S4. This is from R & T, C & D, and comparing BMW's specs to the S4 proves that as well. And there are a ton of videos showing that. It is also after driving both vehicles repeatedly in very "spirited" situations.
You're selling your X3 because you can't modify it? Fine, makes sense to me.

Aren't you the guy who got into the median with sobbing wife in a laggy X3 AT, because he couldn't reach down during an unanticipated acceleration manuver and move the lever over to SD and downshift it manually? Hell, I do that all the time, and my X3 AT functions perfectly.

Maybe an Audi is the thing for you after all. You've certainly spent mucho time here wincing about the X3. Glad to hear this is drawing to a close for us.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post

Aren't you the guy who got into the median with sobbing wife in a laggy X3 AT, because he couldn't reach down during an unanticipated acceleration manuver and move the lever over to SD and downshift it manually? Hell, I do that all the time, and my X3 AT functions perfectly.

Maybe an Audi is the thing for you after all. You've certainly spent mucho time here wincing about the X3. Glad to hear this is drawing to a close for us.
JBasham, if you are still driving an E21 323, you are my hero!

Love ppl like you who know that after bmw, comes chaos...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
I agree with you if you compare the X3 to a "whatever" lower car like a Corolla...

But think about the X3 vs a 3 series.. both tuned to handling perfection. The 3 will always be better cause its lower and lighter.

To make an SUV handle better, you need to what? lower and stiffen it...

Then you simply discard the SUV nature.

Am I wrong? Plus you need to handle all that extra weight compared to a non-SUV vehicle.

PS: the X3's handling if phenomenal, for an SUV (or SAV if you like).. In my first post, I told you guys that I was lapping most cars on the mosport track, which could not be done if the X3 was not great.
I think we're in agreement that the E83 X3 handles better than just about any other SUV on the market. That's the primary reason I bought mine. My point is that it really does handle as well as some purpose-built sports cars -- as you've also noted on the track.

Going back to my example (my '07 X3 with the Sport Package vs. my '89 Firebird Formula with Pontiac's WS6 performance suspension), the skid pad numbers are nearly identical. The X3 is a heavier and taller vehicle, yet it handles as good as a much lower and lighter Third-Generation Firebird with a well-accepted Pontiac performance suspension. Could the Formula be made to handle better? Perhaps. But straight out of the box, both stock vehicles handle equivalently -- and one would never expect that at first glance from the X3...

Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 PM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
I think we're in agreement that the E83 X3 handles better than just about any other SUV on the market. That's the primary reason I bought mine. My point is that it really does handle as well as some purpose-built sports cars -- as you've also noted on the track.

Going back to my example (my '07 X3 with the Sport Package vs. my '89 Firebird Formula with Pontiac's WS6 performance suspension), the skid pad numbers are nearly identical. The X3 is a heavier and taller vehicle, yet it handles as good as a much lower and lighter Third-Generation Firebird with a well-accepted Pontiac performance suspension. Could the Formula be made to handle better? Perhaps. But straight out of the box, both stock vehicles handle equivalently -- and one would never expect that at first glance from the X3...
First of all, I need to stress out that the '89 Firebird Formula is a very cool car.

But put in comparison with a car built in 07 (18 years later) is kinda funny.

The '89 Firebird Formula has leaf spring rear suspenssion (no?) which is really depricated by modern manufacturers that respect their clients...

The truth is, that the top engineering knowledge of '89 is less sophisticated than the mainstream of today.

An example, a E30 M3 from 1988 lapped the circuit slower than a 2006 I think Mitsubishi Colt CZT driven by Tiff on Fifth Gear. And Tim is a major bimmer fan, he tried...

I do agree, since bmw are built to handle, that the X3 outperforms many many lower cars.
I was reffering to the comparison between it and the S4, that is why I said what I said about the height.

Believe me, we can smoke MY.Current Mustangs in the bends... God bless ford for giving the Focus better suspenssion than the mustand
Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
First of all, I need to stress out that the '89 Firebird Formula is a very cool car...
Thanks! I appreciate the compliment!

Quote:
... But put in comparison with a car built in 07 (18 years later) is kinda funny.

The '89 Firebird Formula has leaf spring rear suspenssion (no?) which is really depricated by modern manufacturers that respect their clients...

The truth is, that the top engineering knowledge of '89 is less sophisticated than the mainstream of today.

An example, a E30 M3 from 1988 lapped the circuit slower than a 2006 I think Mitsubishi Colt CZT driven by Tiff on Fifth Gear. And Tim is a major bimmer fan, he tried...
Well, that comparison was made mainly to illustrate the point, using a personal example, that the X3 can handle as well as a lower and lighter vehicle. I realize that the steady march of technology is what's making that possible...

As an aside, it often surprises many to learn that the C5 Corvette uses leaf springs in its suspension too. Granted, they're much more sophisticated than those everyone thinks of when one says "leaf springs," but that's essentially what they are. And trust me: despite using leaf springs, a C5 Corvette will run circles around the E83 X3...

Quote:
... I do agree, since bmw are built to handle, that the X3 outperforms many many lower cars.
I was reffering to the comparison between it and the S4, that is why I said what I said about the height...
OK. I think I get where you're coming from now. Fair enough!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
MotorPress.ca

Oh and btw, now that i noticed that you have a white X3 ( looks amazing too! ) I have a passender side mirror body in white if you ever are in need (which i wish not).
Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:

No I am the guy that manually shifted and braked out of a situation that probably would have killed most people because the transmission hesitated and almost killed my wife and little girl and then won a lawsuit for a faulty transmission against BMWNA and even had the V.P. of BMWNA agree there was a problem. Im the guy that helped hundreds of others beat BMWNA with their POS AT GM6 transmission. I'm the guy that has helped dozens of other people upgrade their sound systems, I'm the guy that helped start the pay it forward thread instead of charging people for things I helped foster a better relationship by giving things away. Im that guy!

You must be the guy that that has nothing nice to say but bash other people or jump up and down cheering BMW?

I'm getting rid of my X3 because there are now much better vehicles out there, and I have gotten bored with the X3.They got rid of the major redeeming factor of my current X3. A manual transmission. And that I am not so myopic to think there is nothing but BMW. Never understood that kind of blind loyalty.

I have compared and shopped BMW now for over a year and given the specs, research, and my disappointment over the new X3 will move on to something better.

Essentially it does not offer the performance I am looking for at this point. The MT is a great vehicle and as an SUV is fun to drive, but it is not a performance vehicle.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-20-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 AM
Still driving my '79 323i

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 3.0; 1979 323i
Quote:
No I am the guy that manually shifted and braked out of a situation that probably would have killed most people because the transmission hesitated and almost killed my wife and little girl Im that guy![/B]

You must be the guy that that has nothing nice to say but bash other people or jump up and down cheering BMW?
Welllllll . . . at the time, you didn't describe that manual shift, even though some (rather uncool) people gave you a hard time for not doing it, in spite of your racing experience (not just track, apparently, but actual racing). Not sure how you were in any danger of getting killed if you got the car to downshift manually.

Is it bashing to say I won't miss certain self-righteous posters? If so, I'm guilty and call the mods. I must apologize to anyone on the sidelines who was offended.

Have fun on the Audi boards.

Last edited by JBasham; 07-20-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Welllllll . . . at the time, you didn't describe that manual shift, even though some (rather uncool) people gave you a hard time for not doing it, in spite of your racing experience (not just track, apparently, but actual racing). Not sure how you were in any danger of getting killed if you got the car to downshift manually.

Is it bashing to say I won't miss certain self-righteous posters? If so, I'm guilty and call the mods. I must apologize to anyone on the sidelines who was offended.

Have fun on the Audi boards.

I'm sure I will run into an Audi Cheerleader as well. Such is life.

Funny I was going to say the same thing. At least I can prove I helped people on this board. And you?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-20-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
MotorPress.ca

Keep your cool guys...

no need to insult each other n ****..

Evlengr, i really hope you get a car that will be good to you and I am sorry to hear the horror stories with BMW. Just keep in mind that ALL manufacturers have incidents like that. BMW is no exception. But, at the same time its not the rule though.

Blind faith? Personally I ll believe in BMW until the day I drive a better car for the money.

And please, don't come back saying that the S4 is better than the 335 (or even worse the X3). if you want to be fair, replace the 335 with the M3 which is the real competitor.

PS: its funny to discuss X3 performance in such depth. I cant even imagine what the M section of the forum is doing
Old 07-20-2012, 11:07 AM

SJ The 335 is the definitive competitor to the S4. This is by BMW and Audi. Optioned out they were within $500 of each other. Back to the op. Imo the x3 is not a performance vehicle and can't be one as it doesn't lend itself to that. It is a superbly handling vehicle and.will go in the category as one of my favorites. However, attack me personally especially my family and be prepared to throw down. I can back up that I believe in helping others here and kept the debate based on the vehicles. Others should do the same.

Sent from my DROIDX
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-20-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:42 PM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
SJ The 335 is the definitive competitor to the S4. This is by BMW and Audi. Optioned out they were within $500 of each other. Back to the op. Imo the x3 is not a performance vehicle and can't be one as it doesn't lend itself to that. It is a superbly handling vehicle and.will go in the category as one of my favorites. However, attack me personally especially my family and be prepared to throw down. I can back up that I believe in helping others here and kept the debate based on the vehicles. Others should do the same.

Sent from my DROIDX
is there a link to the post about what happened to you and your family?
Very curious to read it...

Sorry but I am new here, so don't know the story.