Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjladopoulos View Post
Oh and btw, now that i noticed that you have a white X3 ( looks amazing too! ) I have a passender side mirror body in white if you ever are in need (which i wish not).
Thanks again for the compliment!

I'll keep your offer in mind if it comes to it. Is it a full mirror or just the housing? Mine doesn't have the power folding option either; as I recall, the power-folding and manual-folding mirrors aren't interchangeable.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Its just the body (manual folding), the cover (white with a nice scratch) and the glass (simple, no dimming).

I got it from the local scrap yard for $250 cause i needed the actuator from inside as mine was busted.

I m sure the bodies are not interchangable, (since the folding motor is inside it) but the actuator was.

Mine is folding, memory, heated and dimming and it works fine again.

So what I have left over are the parts I did not use.

If you ever need it, let me know. (you ll only pay the postage )
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I guess our expectations are different. I bought the X3 naively thinking it was based on the 3 series and that as time went by and it got longer in the tooth I could make slight improvements to adjust for time and familiarity. At that time I did not do my research well I can see in hindsight.

As such I will be getting rid of the X3 in about 3 months and if anyone wants an MT I will be putting it up for sale. It has been maintained well, washed every week, cleaned inside every two, and detailed every month.

Since BMW insists on shoving RFT's down my throat I will be moving to an Audi S4. At least at 333 bhp if I get bored I can make changes.
In my experience, washing and detailing (nor most mods) has very little effect on the value of a car. You do it for your own satisfaction.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
In my experience, washing and detailing (nor most mods) has very little effect on the value of a car. You do it for your own satisfaction.
I tend to agree with you about modifications. But while detailing doesn't add any direct value via the Blue Book, it's always been an indication to me of how well the vehicle has been cared for. If the owner dotes over the appearance aspects of the vehicle (finish, interior, etc.), it's a good bet that the mechanical aspects of the vehicle have been given similar attention. Conversely, the peace of mind that provides to the buyer usually brings better money (i.e., full value) to the seller.

This, however, doesn't carry over to most used cars offered at dealerships, where inventories are routinely 'spit-shined' to give them the false appearance that they're 'premium' quality vehicles...

And once you've trained your eye, you can easily tell a well-cared-for vehicle from one that's simply been detailed for the sake of a sale...

At least that's my theory...

Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
I tend to agree with you about modifications. But while detailing doesn't add any direct value via the Blue Book, it's always been an indication to me of how well the vehicle has been cared for. If the owner dotes over the appearance aspects of the vehicle (finish, interior, etc.), it's a good bet that the mechanical aspects of the vehicle have been given similar attention. Conversely, the peace of mind that provides to the buyer usually brings better money (i.e., full value) to the seller.

This, however, doesn't carry over to most used cars offered at dealerships, where inventories are routinely 'spit-shined' to give them the false appearance that they're 'premium' quality vehicles...

And once you've trained your eye, you can easily tell a well-cared-for vehicle from one that's simply been detailed for the sake of a sale...

At least that's my theory...
I can immediately tell if a car has been dinged one too many times, or "Spit-shined" (ex military I take it..nothing like kiwi and a soft cloth). I only mention it as I will put it up for private sale come September and want those who might be interested to know that my X3 was well maintained inside and out. Oil changes at earlier intervals, coolant flush, wheel alignments, etc... Also, maintaining the leather like I do will prolong it's life since it will not dry out and crack or discolor like one that has not been cared for. The minor mods only another BMW driver would appreciate and I dont want to see them wasted if possible. Black/Silver carbon fiber roundels (not appliques, but actual roundels), aluminium pedals, etc... not going to take them off since I am leaving BMW. Not looking for a value appreciation. Just a nod and a smile from the new owner.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 07-24-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
... "Spit-shined" (ex military I take it..nothing like kiwi and a soft cloth)...
No, just the son of a former (notice I didn't say "ex") Marine...

And yes: Kiwi and a soft cloth was the way my dad did it...!

Quote:
... I will put it up for private sale come September and want those who might be interested to know that my X3 was well maintained inside and out. Oil changes at earlier intervals, coolant flush, wheel alignments, etc... Also, maintaining the leather like I do will prolong it's life since it will not dry out and crack or discolor like one that has not been cared for. The minor mods only another BMW driver would appreciate and I dont want to see them wasted if possible. Black/Silver carbon fiber roundels (not appliques, but actual roundels), aluminium pedals, etc... not going to take them off since I am leaving BMW. Not looking for a value appreciation. Just a nod and a smile from the new owner.
Good luck with your sale, "Evlengr!" I'm sure whoever buys your X3 will appreciate the care and upgraded features!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 2.8 Z3 bg R
For anyone interested: Just purchased SuperSprint SS catback system for my '05 X3 3.0...all stainless..with integral clamps..$642/shipped WC..$397 for the rear can+ $187 mid muffler(and all related piping)$58sh...This was from BMP "Clearance" listing and is a substantial savings(about$500)...They had only one rear muffler($397) and about ten mids left..does not have a vacuum fittings like oe(fwiw) ..Looks at others: this was the best available..should fit '03-'07 for sure..probably up to '11(not including?/just guessing)..just in case anyone was looking..this has to be the best deal around(usa).. regular listing didn't discount..must have "SS clearance" page to buy at the discount..Cheers! dk
Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Joe B.

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
I can immediately tell if a car has been dinged one too many times, or "Spit-shined" (ex military I take it..nothing like kiwi and a soft cloth). I only mention it as I will put it up for private sale come September and want those who might be interested to know that my X3 was well maintained inside and out. Oil changes at earlier intervals, coolant flush, wheel alignments, etc... Also, maintaining the leather like I do will prolong it's life since it will not dry out and crack or discolor like one that has not been cared for. The minor mods only another BMW driver would appreciate and I dont want to see them wasted if possible. Black/Silver carbon fiber roundels (not appliques, but actual roundels), aluminium pedals, etc... not going to take them off since I am leaving BMW. Not looking for a value appreciation. Just a nod and a smile from the new owner.
Random question, but where did you get the rear roundel? I have searched every where and ended up double bubbling a newer one to my existing one, which looked pretty good.

I found tons for all the other BMWs but none for the X3, because it has the larger backing.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Joe B.

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Its time to talk about the BMW x3's PERFORMANCE.

So I found a dinan throttle body on eBay, used for $300. Just don't know how I feel about a used throttle body seeing as he bought it used.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app