Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport Premium
Z4 M too much feedback from steering

so it started with my 2007 m coupe hitting a carefully camouflaged divider curb (about 3-4 inches high) at about 50mph.. these idiots here in WA often have divider curbs between same side lanes that are painted white to camo blend in with the regular divider line paint.. no reflectors or anything.. anyway my right front strut broke and the shop replaced two rims, strut and steering gear

now i'm getting this weird effect that i get too much feedback from steering.. meaning if there's any irregularity on the road i feel it in the steering wheel. it used to be that i didn't have to micromanage it, now it's just plain annoying. whenever i hit any sort of bump the steering wheel turns and i have to constantly grip it and adjust to keep the car in a straight line. it used to not be the case. i brought the car back to the dealer and they denied any problems. the car is aligned somewhat correctly i believe (it goes straight on a completely flat road without irregularities). also the steering got noticeably lighter as in i have to make a lot less effort to turn the car. Owners of M coupe know that the steering on the car is "heavy" and that's how i like it. going around corners at any kind of speed and hitting a slight bump easily flips the steering out of control if you don't grip it hard.

Any ideas what i might be experiencing and where to look?

Last edited by alienspy77; 10-10-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
maybe needs a touch more toe in?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Yeah, sounds like it needs to be aligned. Probably has a bit of toe out.

I used to run a bit of toe out as it improves the turn in. But it got tiring on long trips.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 10-10-2011, 03:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport Premium
thanks, i'll try to talk the dealer into realigning it. i talked to their foreman and he said they did alignment on a machine and it's "very straightforward" and there are "no options", it just aligns to factory settings.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
i had a ford bronco II that i had to align "out" from factory settings to reduce outside tire wear. it did make the car steering lighter and more prone to wander.

btw, i did the alignment with a coffee can and can of spray paint, easy to do although one can't adjust caster this way. a friend with an alignment shop showed me how.