Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Is Shadowline Exterior Trim A Must With The Sports Package?

When I look at pictures of a black BMW X6 Concept crossover, my heart races. Front angle shots show the chrome grill and the chrome-lined doors accented with the famous Hoffmeister kink.
However in the production model with sports package, the chrome-lined doors are replaced with Shadowline which just dulls the appearance. You can hardly see the Hoffmeister kink against dark paints such as Black Sapphire & Monaco Blue.
Why does BMW force us to take Shadowline with the Sports Package and what does Shadowline have to do with sporty performance?
Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: X6M
I love the shadowline trim. And yes, I think it's a must when you order the Sports Package.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Ah, but you're only stating a subjective opinion. Your viewpoint is no different from mine in that both of us are expressing subjective desires. Since there are two different standpoints, why can't BMW give a choice?

It is quite simply ridiculous! What infuriates me is you can't purchase Adaptive Drive as a sole option. Like a Siamese monozygotic twin it is bundled with the Sports Package which means you cannot procure Adaptive Drive without ughh...Shadowline Trim.
This is ironic because one of the appeals of buying a new BMW is the ability to customise it to one's taste. However in this case BMW make it difficult to have Adaptive Drive with chrome trim on the doors.
Even if it means going to the factory I will make sure that my Sports Package comes without Shadowline. The latter simply dulls the appearance and is a total turn-off.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: i3;previously X6;650i;M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
...What infuriates me is you can't purchase Adaptive Drive as a sole option. Like a Siamese monozygotic twin it is bundled with the Sports Package which means you cannot procure Adaptive Drive without ughh...Shadowline Trim...
You CAN purchase Adaptive Drive by itself. I just did so with my 2012 X6 order. It's option 2VA and can be ordered WITHOUT ordering the Sport Package. I did so for a different reason, but the net result is the same. I do however like the shadow line as I feel it looks more 'sporty' rather than the more 'elegant' chrome. Personal choice, of course!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Apollner, you've made my day! I feel like bursting into a few choruses of zip adee doo dah! I am intrigued by what you state because all the car sites I've read, state that Adaptive Drive ( an umbrella term for active roll stabilisation coupled with electronic damping control ) requires Sport Package.

However since you say that you actually have AD without Sports Package there is hope. Which dealer did you order from? I'm wondering whether some dealers block the sole AD option.

Well, I'll continue saving up for the X6 xDrive50i with Adaptive Drive. Only a few months now and I'll be there. My pick will either be black sapphire or vermilion red. I pondered on deep sea blue but this colour is not vivid enough and its hue changes abruptly depending on light conditions.
Since the Sports Package is largely cosmetic, I just wanted to grab AD but keep the chrome trimmed doors. For me, chrome trim is a dealbraker. I would not consider an X6 without it. In profile the arc of the chrome trim against vermilion red or black sapphire metallic paint is a vivid encounter. Shadowline mutes the arc experience. I'm baffled by people who buy a black sapphire car with Shadowline trim. It mutes the arc and the Hoffmeister kink. Life is about colour, not shadows. Anyway each to his own, because along with the chrome trim I need a spirited drive. I need the Adaptive Drive option. AD helps to subdue the laws of Physics and improves handling substantially.
X6, Adaptive Drive, chrome trim....the future is looking bright.
I must spread the good news to all the car editorials that are misrepresenting BMW. Adaptive Drive is no longer a prisoner. Adaptive Drive has been set free!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM

SteveJ,

Glad to be of help! I also want to alert you that with SOP 10/11 (Start of Production Oct 11) comes the ability to additionally select a number BMW Individual paint colors that broaden the palette. To look at these additional colors you'll have to go to the mother ship, www.bmw.com as our www.bmwusa.com does not currently show them. Use this link, and click on the Individual tab: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...isualizer.html

I've ordered Ruby Black myself as part of a new package called BMW Individual Composition, but the paint can be ordered separately for an $1800 upcharge.

My intent is not to make this more difficult for you, rather to let you know of additional options.

What I recommend is that you go to your local dealer and ask them to print out the latest Ordering and Pricing Guide, which is dated October 1, 2011. These 11 pages will show you every option and package you can order for the car.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
No dealer is going to have an X6 on the lot with the stand-alone adaptive drive option, but, as stated before, you can definitely get it. If you do the 'build your own' on bmwusa.com, its the 2nd option on the Options page ($3500). I had stand-alone adaptive drive on my x5 35d (that was the only way that you could get it).

Personally, I like the shadowline trim and not having an anthracite headliner would drive me bananas.

What I don't like is the 'wheel punishment'. I can understand them not allowing you to order the 'nice' rims with your lower-level car when you are dealing with the lesser vehicles. But when your car costs north $70k (yes, a 35i), why in the heck do I not have an option to get some nice wheels with my car!! Stupid 214s. At least the 19" 212s that I got with the sport package look nice, but I certainly wish they were staggered. Yes, I can get new wheels now, but I can think of better things to do with $4k when my car already has wheels.

Okay, my diatribe is over...
Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto:
Something strange is happening to me. I am gravitating towards the X6M. In every review I've read, the professional drivers state that there is a gulf of difference between the X6M and the X6 xDrive50i. It all boils down to the instant responses of the X6M.
Furthermore the M has this predator-look; a virility that is dumbed down in the other X6s.
There is an exclusive colour: Monte Carlo Blue, that is so lively. Furthermore you can buy an X6M with a chrome grill and chrome door trim. I learnt this from perusing YouTube videos and other sites. Before then I always thought that an X6M could only be bought with Shadowline Trim coupled with a black grill but I was wrong.
You can check out the chrome door trim in the YouTube video entitled: "BMW X6M Vs GTR (dragtime.info)."
Check out the chrome grilled M on:
http://autojager.com/car/53981571-2.html

I must confess I am yet to see an X6M with both a chrome grill and chrome door trims but at least now I know it is possible.

I am extremely pleased that BMW offers so much choice. I feel I should wait longer, save more money and go for a Monte Carlo Blue, "chrome accented" BMW X6M.
Life is short and I would not want to miss the thrill of driving a speed warrior with great handling dynamics. I also get a commanding view of the road instead of sitting in a low suspension sports car with exhaust fumes going up my nostrils!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto:
I've researched car dealers and unfortunately it is going to be difficult to get a chrome door trimmed X6M. I couldn't see any at all in any of the USA dealers. I wonder whether BMW do special orders. I need either Black Sapphire or Monte Carlo Blue metallic. The thought of a chrome grilled, chrome door trimmed Black Sapphire X6M is quite frankly mouthwatering.
Yet I would advise BMW not to grip fads too tightly. The preponderance of Shadowlined, black grilled X6Ms is staggering. They don't give the customer the obvious chrome grill/door trim choice and believe me, especially with darker colours, the chrome trim will be the classic combination.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto:
Hello everyone! Have you noticed, with regards to the BMW X6M, that you'll find it hard to see bronze-gold-copper coloured metallic paint finishes whereas there is a propensity of black and silver eg titanium silver, mineral silver. silverstone. Just a thought!

I've grown to like the black grill on the X6M. It harmonises well with the massive air intakes and helps give the effect of a roaring lion.

Since the grill and air intakes are black, they stand out better against pale to medium toned paints. That is one of the reasons I have chosen Monte Carlo Blue instead of Black Sapphire. Another reason is that m.c.blue is such an ebullient colour; full of sunshine and cheer. It magnifies the exhuberant nature of the M brand. The "can do" mantra that drives BMW to continue to stretch the boundaries. Black Sapphire is a beautiful colour and it brings out other qualities of the car such as virility and determination, however I prefer the ebullience of m.c.blue.

I would need the SAV to come with chrome door trim and privacy glass. The former is going to be a challenge because it seems like the USA has been ear-marked for Shadowline trim. It will be difficult to find a dealer that has my specification in stock so I'm in an awkward position.
It is clear that there are those who love Shadowline. I'm not one of them, so I will strive to customise. At least I know exactly what I want, and my goodness, it has taken many weeks to arrive at my conclusions.

If one considers that there are a motley selection of standard features on the X6M that are optional on the X6 xDrive50i, it is not that much more expensive.

M.C.Blue X6M FTW!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:11 PM

Why don't you just order the car and see how it looks? Then, if you still prefer the chrome trim, order it and swap it with the shadowline.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto:
Do you mean ordering directly from the BMW Spartenburg plant? Will they allow a double order? If I order the SAV, see it in person and don't like it, are you sure I can re-order without incurring a penalty?
To avoid problems I have searched the internet extensively perusing text, photos and videos. Yet, I must confess I have not seen a Monte Carlo Blue X6M in either Shadowline or chrome trim in person. I may feel differently with the SAV right in front of me but in general I have a penchant for chrome door trim.

I am not certain that BMW USA will allow a chrome trim order. All the chrome X6Ms I have seen on the web were from Europe.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 PM

I was suggesting that if you didn't like how the car looked with shadowline you could just order the trim parts at the dealer and replace them on the car.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: 530i SMG
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

For about $400 bucks you can swap out the shadowline trim for aluminum trim pieces.

Just order the car. You already like over 90% of the car and are holding off only because of the color of trim pieces that compromise less then 5% of the cars surface area? You're going to spend most of the time in the drivers seat or inside, not outside looking into one.