Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: New York
Cracked Bushings

Hey everyone. So I took my car in for inspection the other day (I've got a 2009 335xi coupe with 20k miles), and I failed my inspection.

The reason for the fail was because of low tread on the inner part of my front right tire (due to excessive negative camber) and the cause of the camber issues was a cracked bushing and leaking shock.

Took the car into BMW service and they are telling me that the bushings may not be covered under my warranty because its a "wear and tear" item. Well for starters, I wholeheartedly disagree with that assessment. Cracked bushings at 20k miles (and to be honest it was more like 15k miles since I've had the rattling noise coming from that part of the car for many months), should not happen. The only explanation is I am either a very aggressive driver who likes to take my car off of curbs, or it was poor workmanship/materials. I assure you that it is the latter.

So now I am worried because I've been searching everywhere to find out whether the bushings are covered under my original factor warranty or maintenance warranty and I cannot find a straight answer anywhere. I know its not covered on the extended and CPO warranties, but then I've read of many people who have had them replaced under the new car warranty. Then again, I've read horror stories where it has not been replaced. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Were your bushings covered under the new car warranty?

Also, as an aside, how is this in BMW's best interests to not fix the bushings? If they don't do it, then I'll have no choice but to keep driving on them, hence leading to a worsening condition to other parts of the vehicle. I don't have the funds to address the problem now, nor do I have the technical know-how to do it myself, so BMW is going to end up with bigger problems down the line. Just seems senseless to me.
Ads by Google
Old 10-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 328i, Prem, Sport, MT
If you've heard a rattling noise for "MONTHS", wouldn't that be a sign for you to atleast visually look at it yourself or take it to the dealer. I know taking it to the dealer is not always an "easy" option as it seems, but if my car - even if it was a $500 beater - started making a noise that was not normal, id visually look - you could prob see the leaking shock. --- But if your car is under warranty, then why wouldn't you have taken it to dealership right when it started to make that noise?

As far as the bushings, I highly doubt they will replace it under warranty now.

I don't understand how you have "no choice" but to keep driving the car like that. Are you dumb or just stupid? Why the hell would you make things worse? Do you raelly think BMW will replace your other parts when you tell them you've been driving around with a worn out bushing (and known about it) for months? Many people will point to the fact that if you do not have the funds to maintain your car, you should have not bought it in the first place as these are high maintenance cars - however, if it is going to "make things worse".. do you expect it not to cost EVEN more after you proceed to drive on broken suspenion parts? god forbid you hit a pothole or something.

Take a loan out; borrow some money from grandma; get a second job - but DO NOT keep driving your car. Each dealership is different - but good luck getting your bushings covered under warranty; because I don't see that happening.

I feel bad for your car.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidus1 View Post
Hey everyone. So I took my car in for inspection the other day (I've got a 2009 335xi coupe with 20k miles), and I failed my inspection.

The reason for the fail was because of low tread on the inner part of my front right tire (due to excessive negative camber) and the cause of the camber issues was a cracked bushing and leaking shock.

Took the car into BMW service and they are telling me that the bushings may not be covered under my warranty because its a "wear and tear" item. Well for starters, I wholeheartedly disagree with that assessment. Cracked bushings at 20k miles (and to be honest it was more like 15k miles since I've had the rattling noise coming from that part of the car for many months), should not happen. The only explanation is I am either a very aggressive driver who likes to take my car off of curbs, or it was poor workmanship/materials. I assure you that it is the latter.

So now I am worried because I've been searching everywhere to find out whether the bushings are covered under my original factor warranty or maintenance warranty and I cannot find a straight answer anywhere. I know its not covered on the extended and CPO warranties, but then I've read of many people who have had them replaced under the new car warranty. Then again, I've read horror stories where it has not been replaced. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Were your bushings covered under the new car warranty?

Also, as an aside, how is this in BMW's best interests to not fix the bushings? If they don't do it, then I'll have no choice but to keep driving on them, hence leading to a worsening condition to other parts of the vehicle. I don't have the funds to address the problem now, nor do I have the technical know-how to do it myself, so BMW is going to end up with bigger problems down the line. Just seems senseless to me.
If it's a normal wear item ask them to show you the BMW service schedule showing their service interval of approximately 20K miles or less. If they can't it's warranty work.

Last edited by sunny5280; 10-11-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Wow, it takes a real asshole to post an anonymous response like this.

Not that I owe you any explanations, but when I heard the sound I did my best to investigate it, but cracked bushings are not exactly something that is easy to spot for someone that doesn't know what they are looking for. I simply chalked the noise off the some inconsequential piece of metal that was loose. Sure hindsight is 20-20.

As for the comments about BMW not resolving the issue at their own future expense, I still think its a valid point. Stop thinking like an emotional idiot for a second and consider what I am saying from a logical business point of view. If you sell someone a car and tell them that everything is covered, all the way down to your wiper blades, then where would they get off telling you that a suspension component which failed due to regular use in regular weather conditions is not covered? That's false advertising. And all of that aside, its a poor business decision, because the car is still drive-able with the bushing problem, but the misalignment can lead to other issues which in fact would be BMWs responsibility. Even if they didnt warranty it, its the type of thing that would not lead to a charge back when you return the car at lease end, so again, its a bad business decision.

And if you must know, I leased the BMW precisely so I wouldn't have to worry about these types of expenses. And also, when I leased it 1 1/2 years ago I had a high paying job, but I have since lost all of that, so who the hell are you to judge me for not being able to pay for $1000s of repairs? At least I have been responsible enough to continue making my payments.

And to think that you have the gaul to call me stupid...
Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
If it's a normal wear item ask them to show you the BMW service schedule showing their service interval of approximately 20K miles or less. If they can't it's warranty work.
Thanks for the response. Incidentally, Park Avenue BMW called and the total repair is going to be taken care of. Those guys are really great.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidus1 View Post
Thanks for the response. Incidentally, Park Avenue BMW called and the total repair is going to be taken care of. Those guys are really great.
I'm happy for you that it is being covered. I would be curious to find out if the dealer or BMW agreed to it - either way kudos to them.

This statement "...and the cause of the camber issues was a cracked bushing and leaking shock ", would have had me denying any replacements under warranty too as it sounds very much like pothole damage. Which does fall under wear and tear. So be nice to the folks at the dealership - someone went out of their way to cover you.

Last edited by Bcube; 10-11-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Vouloir, Croire et Oser

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Sorry, but the same thing jumped out at me that you let this go for 5k miles and month on end

I so in tune with my bimmer that if is squeaks or a pebble in stuck in the treads I hear it/know about it

I usually side with people on the receiving end of rude posts but I feel like you deserved this, I guess it couldve been a little bit more tactfully written but it was message received loud and clear.

In the end I am happy it worked out for you because I agree that shouldnt have broken on the bimmer but for us purists it makes us cringe when people abuse their vehicles