Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 525iAT
Mine and mine friend 525i, and 525iA working same, idle DISA is open, but closes when accelerating. Both cars are manufactured at 2001. There is also another 2001 525i which working same way:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...558&highlight=
But i think its consumpt less when I put DISA ground to body (closes DISA)
Voltage not drop to zero, but current wild drop allmost zero...
I will install led to to cabin, where I can see when DISA activates, same wire I can use manually activating disa.
Edit/Delete Message

Last edited by Walopower; 04-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 525iAT

Last edited by Walopower; 04-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Replaced mine this weekend and noticed a very positive result.

I've moved on.

Next stop, Dinan Stage 2 suspension upgrade.
link to Dinan Stage 2 suspension ?

BMW E38/E39 Rear Axle/Differential Bush Tool
Old 07-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here's a case on an E46 today where the DISA caused all sorts of misfire codes:
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > Repair report DISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOURDAN View Post
Just sharing some of my troubleshooting of a 171 / 174 (lean codes) plus some misfire codes. Hope it will help somebody fixing their own car someday.
I was sitting at a traffic light when the SES light came on and the RPM in idle started to fluctuate between 500 and 700 RPM. When I got home I inspected all the intake system, boots, hoses for a possible leak. Did not find any problems and put it back together, started up and then all of a sudden there was a very loud intermittent metallic knocking/banging sound coming from underneath the car whenever the car started to change the rmp in idle. I put it on ramps, crawled underneath and listened with my stethoscope. The sound clearly came from the clutch and whenever I stepped on the clutch pedal the noise stopped.
First I thought that I have two problems, an intake problem and a possible throw out bearing going bad but then I decided to listen to the DISA with my stethoscope and heard a rattling noise that seemed out of place. Then, whenever the car idle surged, I whacked the DISA with the palm of my hand and miraculously the clutch noise stopped every time. I then took the DISA out and was kind of relieved that the flap was indeed broken. I rather deal with the DISA than the clutch. After the new DISA was installed the car was as good as new.
Here are the latest bestlinks for the DISA:
- Where to get a proper DISA valve repair kit (1) & how some jury-rig 'repair' a rattling DISA unit (1) (2) (3) & how the DISA valve operates (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test DISA operation (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) & a simple DIY to install an M54 DISA (1) & a nice DISA autopsy (1) (2) & a great DISA group buy (1) & how the disa valve o-ring fails (1) (2) & how it can reputedly cause all sorts of cold-engine rough idle problems (1) (2) & where to get just the DISA valve o-ring (1) & why you want to check the DISA at 100K miles or whenever the airbox is removed (1) (2) & why the DIfferenzierte SAuganlage ("Differential Air Intake") valve flap breaks (1), sometimes with parts sucked into the intake manifold (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & a well documented example of how a broken DISA flap can ruin your engine (1) & yet another seemingly complex set of misfire codes reputedly traced to a broken DISA valve (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
I strongly suspect that the DISA valve movement is controlled by the engine management system by more than RPM.

I replaced mine. Had no real symptoms other than a momentary flat spot/power drop at 2/3 throttle when accelerating and the RPM hit
somewhere around 3500-4000 RPM. Some folks stated this was a VANOS seal issue. Nope it was not though my seals were
hard as a rock. DISA solved the flat spot/power drop.

Thinking more about a vacuum leak, if the "yellow" DISA flap actuator or the vacuum dashpot has a leak, it would be difficult to
diagnose. My yellow flap actuator fit into the housing seemed good, hence I would not suspect leakage.

Ignoring the leak issue for a moment, if the one-way vacuum valve does not work properly, there will be no vacuum to actuate
the valve under a load when vacuum drops when the throttle is opened more than 1/2 way.
Good thread...!

I have similar symptoms as described above...^^^^....

Thanks!
Jason
Old 12-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Saw this in the E46 threads today for the M54 engine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaveweaver View Post
Went fishing today and look what I caught!!!

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 PM

This is a summary for testing the DISA from the E46 group today (same DISA as in the M54 E39):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos23 View Post
Thing with the DISA. First of you need to check its function. You can do this by sucking hard on the little nipple located at bottom of vacuum valve. The way the DISA works is it's pressure operated by vacuum. You need to check that the flap is able to move through entire range. Also, since you've obviously had the DISA off, how did you secure it into place (other than 2 bolts). Did you re-seal main seal where it enters intake manifold. DISA vacuum leak could be basis of your issue. Another more permanent fix you can do that is a WHOLE LOT cheaper, is find a DISA from ANY other 3-series (wrecker; parter, etc $25-$40). What you need is the actuator arm. Its the same arm in ALL e46 3-Series DISAs. What changes is the size of the DISA housing and flap, but using a good pair of pliers, you can remove a good actuator from a 323 DISA and install it in yours and it will work perfectly (trust me; did it last winter with my 330Xi).... used a 323 DISA actuator and it works perfectly. THe reason I ask about the seal, is because the factory uses a silicone seal. If you just re-install without replacing or re-sealing with Silicone, it will leak like crazy and cause EXACTLY the issues you are describing.

After re-assembly, take some combustion chamber cleaner and while car is running and being certain NOT to spray on exhaust manifold side of engine, spray all around intake side of engine taking particular care around seals and joints. Also around PCV valve. Check vacuum lines that run around back of engine for leaks (cracks)..... That will identify any remaining leaks. Good hunting!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM

This DISA test thread was opened today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgorczyn View Post
I have a 2000 528i (M52-TU Engine) with 240k Miles.

I was sure my DISA was shot and was about to order a new one. I have no codes, and car runs fine, just figured I'd do this as prev maint.

Anyways, I took the DISA out today and other than being dirty and smelly - It seems fine. There is good resistance on the flap. No cracks or anything on the unit that I can find. Even the gaskets look good.

My only concern is the Gas/Oil smell - it's pretty potent - Is this normal? Also looks like some dirt/carbon/etc in the intake manifold - Is this normal?

Should I just put this guy back in or would you guys recommend cleaning it - and if so - with what?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Nobody knows DISA valves like Gary at GAS, so, for a physical test of DISA operation, heed his words below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary@germanautosolutions View Post
Unfortunately there really isn't an easy way to test the unit without removal from the manifold, and yes that process of removal can damage the fragile OEM seal.

Since the kit mainly address the most common failure mode of the DISA, which is wear between the cam lever and flapper valve, the only way to properly test for that wear is to remove the unit and try to twist the flapper valve back and forth while holding the cam lever tightly.

If someone wants to test the unit before ordering the kit I would suggest just picking up the o-ring first.

If the internal mechanics of the unit check out OK you can just replace the cheesy OEM seal with the new o-ring and put the unit back in.

If the unit tests defective, do a quicky seal replacement with the new o-ring, temporarily put the unit back in, then order the repair kit and keep the extra o-ring as a spare.

I know this is not necessarily ideal, but I don't know a good way around it.
In summary, this seems to be one diagnostic approach:
1. Order a couple of o-rings
2. Run the in-situ electrical tests in this thread
3. Run the in-situ mechanical tests in this thread
4. If any tests fail the tests - buy and install Gary's DISA upgrade kit
5. If all tests pass - remove the DISA from the engine & inspect mechanically in vitro
6. If all parts pass - attach the old DISA back on the manifold using the new o-ring
7. If any parts fail the physical test - buy and install Gary's DISA upgrade kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04070.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	389764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04066.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	389767  

Last edited by bluebee; 08-04-2013 at 04:19 PM.