Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i
CEL came on this week...

Hi all,
Have a 2010 35d with a hair over 30k on the odometer and the check engine light came on Monday. Have an appointment scheduled on Thursday to take it in. Removed the gas cap and re-tightened it, but the light is still on.

Have been reading all the CEL issue posts on here and on other boards. Hope this isn't the start of a recurring issue... But appreciate all the info about tracking the codes, mileage and work done for future use... Guess I'll know more Thursday. I'll post the error code Thursday or Friday when I know what it is.

Love this car... Just took it from TN to Destin, Fl and got 26mpg loaded with 3 adults, 2 kids and luggage. Drove down there and drove around for three days on one tank of gas.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Ads by Google
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Got the CEL around 15K+ miles . . . issue was a faulty temperature sensor . . . apparently there was a recall on this particular sensor . . . U.S. ran out replacement sensor, new sensor had to come from Germany . . . vehicle was out of service for 7 days. Since then no problem, running great, very happy with the vehicle.

Relevant section of the service report attached. Mine is a 2011 X5d, July 2010 build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW e70 Temperature Sensor Fault.PNG
Views:	84
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	298626  
Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the info. Will know more tomorrow on mine.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:39 AM

Picked up the X5 today. The following fault codes were stored, non of which would trip the CEL according to their computer:
- 46F2: DeNOx system, function: trouble code P204F, 1 instance at 48976km
- 4BC3: Exhaust-gas temperature controller, plausibility: trouble code P244C, 1 instance at 46664km
- 474D: Intercooler, plausibility: trouble code P026A, 2 instances at 49802km and 49872km

They said there was no code stored that would have tripped the CEL, but I suspect it was deleted or they just didn't give it to me.

CEL went off Wednesday after being on for two days, and hasn't come back on. They did perform a reprogramming under SIB 18 02 10.

Anyone have any insight on the codes above?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Update...

Duplicate post

Last edited by boyce 06 330; 10-28-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Uh oh...
Well, had the X back for about 30 miles...

Picked her up this morning and drove to the office (about 15 miles). Got in this afternoon to go home and got the "engine malfunction, reduced power" warning about 5 minutes into the trip. After it came up the 4th time, I may a u-turn and headed straight back to BMW. On the way there, I got the fault another 12 times, and the X went into limp mode once (while on the interstate... great timing). Check Control showed "all systems ok" the whole time.

Once there, i told them I wasn't leaving until they ran the OBD tests and I had copies of the fault codes. So, here they are:
- 4D76: charging air temp sensor - difference, starting value to reference temp too high - one instance
- 4B82: EGR rate control, control deviation - exhaust gas recirculating rate too low/positive control deviation - one instance
- 4C9F: EGR valve, plausibility - mechanically faulty near open position, 243 instances recorded
- 4C9E: EGR valve, plausibility - mechanically faulty near closed position, 243 instances recorded

None of these codes were present yesterday when it was in for the CEL. :

The tech, who did the work yesterday for the CEL, and did the reprogramming per SIB 18 02 10 (still not sure what this is for. The tech said it prescribes a reprogramming for a CEL with no faults present), suspects the new programming is causing today's issues.

I hope this is not the start of long-term issues with this car. We love the vehicle, and just want her back.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce 06 330 View Post
Uh oh...
Well, had the X back for about 30 miles...

Once there, i told them I wasn't leaving until they ran the OBD tests and I had copies of the fault codes. So, here they are:
- 4D76: charging air temp sensor - difference, starting value to reference temp too high - one instance
- 4B82: EGR rate control, control deviation - exhaust gas recirculating rate too low/positive control deviation - one instance
- 4C9F: EGR valve, plausibility - mechanically faulty near open position, 243 instances recorded
- 4C9E: EGR valve, plausibility - mechanically faulty near closed position, 243 instances recorded

None of these codes were present yesterday when it was in for the CEL . . .

I hope this is not the start of long-term issues with this car. We love the vehicle, and just want her back.
Hate to see this happen to anyone . . . a few things you may want to do are: when a message pops up on the dashboard, pull over and take a picture of the dash clearly showing the message with your mobile phone. Down the road, if necessary, you can use this for documentation. Second, try and communicate with your SA via email - even after visiting him/her, you can summarize what the issues were and send it to them along with any photos you may have taken. Third, before you sign the initial work sheet, be sure SA has stated your concerns clearly. Finally if this dealership tech cannot figure this out, take it to another dealership - check them on Yelp or other websites to see what others are saying about them. (Just reading your post, I get the feeling you got a rather incompetent tech.)

Not sure about this - but I think you can insist on them installing a recorder that stores how the engine ran for a length of time - say a month or so. Others who have done this might be able to comment on how to get this done.

My "guess" is this is an emission issue, once the faulty part is located and replaced, it should be just fine.

Yes I love these cars . . . hopefully all your issues will be sorted out soon. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I'm not going to duplicate my posts from xoutpost...

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...tml#post849094

Very familiar territory.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...5alj98900.html

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...esolution.html

GL

A
Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Fixed?

My wife picked up the Xd today. It was ready Monday, but I told them to keep until they were sure it was fixed. The service manager drove it home Monday and Tuesday with no issues. They replaced the charge air temp sensor.

Im not sure what else they did as I dint have the paperwork in front of me. Will post any additional info tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce 06 330 View Post
. The service manager drove it home Monday and Tuesday with no issues. .
People should know that if there was a car accident- regardless of fault- it is YOUR insurance that may pay the bill.... you've given permission to them to operate your car, your insurance covers.

FYI
Old 11-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
People should know that if there was a car accident- regardless of fault- it is YOUR insurance that may pay the bill.... you've given permission to them to operate your car, your insurance covers.

FYI
How can this be? If I give my friend permission to drive my car and he crashes it, the claim is on HIS liability insurance, not mine. Why would the dealer be different?

Sorry to state the obvious, if someone is actually driving my car without my permission, that's theft, so the liability isn't a "permission" issue.

The only thing I can think of is that when you sign you're waiving your rights to hold them liable. I'd have to read the small print to know for sure.

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 E60 535i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
2006 E90 330i (Jet Black / Sand Beige)
2003 E46 325i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Ard is correct. By allowing someone to drive yor car, you are accepting responsibility for any property damage.

Scenario No. 1: Your friend drives your car and causes an accident with minimal damage.
If you loan your car to a friend, he causes an accident and both of you have car insurance, your insurance will pay and you'll have to pay your deductible. The reason? Your auto insurancepolicy insures your vehicle plus "you, any relative, and anyone else using your car if the use is (or reasonably believed to be) with your permission."

Scenario No. 2: Your insured friend drives your car and causes an accident with a lot of damage.
[Let Insure.com help you find affordable car insurance now.]
Let's say the accident your friend causes results in serious bodily injury to others and property damage. Liability coverage consists of two parts: bodily injury liability and physical damage liability. The driver's policy covers the driver and all passengers in the vehicle for bodily injury. The car owner's liability covers property damage caused by his or her car. Liability insurance also covers the cost of your legal fees in the event that you are sued.

I figured if there was an issue in my case, since it was a test drive, I'd have had a compelling case.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Car insurance covers the car, regardless of who is driving. The policy is on the vehicle. I drive a lot of different cars, many worth more than a few hundred thousand dollars. My personal insurance company doesn't worry one bit about my lifestyle because if I crash the insurance on the vehicle covers the repair (there will likely be lawsuits, but that is later).

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!