Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: honda civic
It's OK to have glass shop to replace windshield, right?

Not that I'm trying to cheap out on a BMW, but the stealer quoted me

$951.23 - windshield
$715.00 - labor to install windshield

And the online shop has it for $360 all inclusive and onsite installation.
Ads by Google
Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
Not that I'm trying to cheap out on a BMW, but the stealer quoted me

$951.23 - windshield
$715.00 - labor to install windshield

And the online shop has it for $360 all inclusive and onsite installation.
$360 may sound too inexpensive for an OEM windshield replacement. That windshield may be a different quality level than OEM - worth asking.

Aside from that, or if you don't care, there's no inherent problem in having your windshield replaced by someone other than the dealer. IMO and IME.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to xclone
Mein Auto: 2008 535iA
Make sure and read into the auto sensing wiper sensor (on windshield replacements) to make sure the work is done properly. If it is not, that sensor will no longer work. It's not a complicated thing (IIRC) but there is a certain step that must be done.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
$360 may sound too inexpensive for an OEM windshield replacement. That windshield may be a different quality level than OEM - worth asking.

Aside from that, or if you don't care, there's no inherent problem in having your windshield replaced by someone other than the dealer. IMO and IME.
Thanks, it's certainly not OEM. But I guess there are some basic standard about windshiled right? They can't be thinner or less reliable or break into sharp pieces, can they?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclone View Post
Make sure and read into the auto sensing wiper sensor (on windshield replacements) to make sure the work is done properly. If it is not, that sensor will no longer work. It's not a complicated thing (IIRC) but there is a certain step that must be done.
They did ask questions if you have a rain sensor and window fogging sensor (what's that callled?) I guess they are prepared. I'll make sure to bring a bottle of water.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Glass shops almost always replace windshields for dealers. If you take it to a dealer, they will have a glass shop rep come to the dealer to do the job. You can have them do it at your home. I actually helped the rep to install the windshield in our M-B in my garage. It is not rocket science. Just make sure they send a competent person. I have heard several stories where the sealant was not properly applied and wind noise entered the cabin.
2003 MB E320, Pewter/Black, Cold weather, Logic 7

Last edited by Fahrer; 10-13-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrer View Post
Glass shops almost always replace windshields for dealers. If you take it to a dealer, they will have a glass shop rep come to the dealer to do the job. You can have them do it at your home. I actually helped the rep to install the windshield in our M-B in my garage. It is not rocket science. Just make sure they send a competent person. I have heard several stories where the sealant was not properly applied and wind noise entered the cabin.
Cool. Hope for the best and count on their lifetime warranty
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks, it's certainly not OEM. But I guess there are some basic standard about windshiled right? They can't be thinner or less reliable or break into sharp pieces, can they?
There are basic standards, though I couldn't quote them. I am confident that they will all be tempered glass, for example, and not break into sharp pieces.

The differences you may be looking at (pun!) might be thickness, clarity level, and perhaps the tolerance for surface contour (a wavy windshield).

But don't let that scare you; I am no automotive glass expert. My suggestion would be to confront the glass shop about the price and ask them if the windshield is OEM quality equivalent and see how they respond.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
There are basic standards, though I couldn't quote them. I am confident that they will all be tempered glass, for example, and not break into sharp pieces. The differences you may be looking at (pun!) might be thickness, clarity level, and perhaps the tolerance for surface contour (a wavy windshield).

But don't let that scare you; I am no automotive glass expert. My suggestion would be to confront the glass shop about the price and ask them if the windshield is OEM quality equivalent and see how they respond.
Windshield are NEVER made from tempered glass for the US market. Only side windows and sunroofs are made from tempered glass. It is a safety issue. If tempered glass was used for a windshield, your skull and or spine would be crushed if impacting the glass ( remember cars are also designed to protect unbelted passengers) in an accident. Windshields are made from two pieces of glass with and adhesive film between to hold, as much as possible, the shards of broken glass from an accident.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrer View Post
Windshield are NEVER made from tempered glass for the US market. Only side windows and sunroofs are made from tempered glass. It is a safety issue. If tempered glass was used for a windshield, your skull and or spine would be crushed if impacting the glass ( remember cars are also designed to protect unbelted passengers) in an accident. Windshields are made from two pieces of glass with and adhesive film between to hold, as much as possible, the shards of broken glass from an accident.
Like I said, I'm no automotive glass expert.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I'm no automotive glass expert.
.....just a little bit of automotive trivia
Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks guys. Just confirmed it's an after market glass, but claimed made in the USA with high quality in OEM spec, blah. I guess anyone feel proud to claim Not Made in China these days.

But compare to dealer's $1,800+, I guess it is what it is.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550 m-sport, 2006 X3
I just had mine replaced with aftermarket glass - $650Cdn vs. the $1,700 dealer quote. The shop confirmed the various options (HUD costs significantly more for the glass) and did the install in a less than a day, including complementary pickup and drop off of the car at my work. From my perspective, I can't see much of a difference between the new glass and old -- except for the giant rock chip/hole in my line of sight is now gone
Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i
It can't be an OEM windshield. I had 2 windshield replacements on a 530i and they were around $750-$800 installed by a glass shop. The car had HUD which did increase the price of the glass (special coating) over non-HUD.
2010 550i (Space Gray / Natural Brown / Anthracite) - M Sport Pkg, Sport Auto, Nav, HUD, Premium Sound, Comfort Access, Cold Weather, High Beam Asst, Sirius, HD, iPod Kit, Heated Rear Seats, Fold Down Rear Seats
Old 10-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi
I just had this issue in my new (to me) 530xi. Going down the interstate and the only kicked up rock in miles had to of course find my car. I called a local dealer friend who sells another upscale brand and asked him who he used. Complete job cost me $350. They gave me the dealer rate. That's for a Pilkerton rain-sensing windshield and labor as well.

My local factory stealership wanted $385 for labor and 800+ for the part.

Last edited by zoostation; 10-14-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 740i
Has anyone tried getting thier insurance to cover it? A rock kicked up and cracked the windshield on my FX, all I had to pay was the deductible.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsobe View Post
Has anyone tried getting thier insurance to cover it? A rock kicked up and cracked the windshield on my FX, all I had to pay was the deductible.
Depends on the state. NH does not have glass coverage (at least for Allstate).

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsobe View Post
I think it depends on what your deductible is if you have comprehensive. I used to have a $100 deductible on comprehensive with Allstate. When I got suckered into State Farm they raised the deductible to $500 on comprehensive without telling me, probably in order to keep their quote down. My fault for not realizing it until I needed it this past week and taking the agent at her word for "the exact same level of coverage."

I don't think most insurance companies are going to spend much above $500 for a windshield replacement, regardless of how much it will cost to get you back to the same quality you had before damage. When I called State Farm they were already prepared with a script to quote me verbatim about "your policy allows us to use a substitute of similar quality, bah, blah, blah." Basically they said tough, I could sue them if I didn't like it.

Last edited by zoostation; 10-14-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
It should be around $1200 to have a brand new windshield installed without insurance. We've had to replace a few. However, we had Safelite replace it once and the windshields wouldn't "seat" properly and would pop every time you drove over an uneven service. We went threw 4 windshields before they told us their windows weren't going to suffice and then paid our deductible to have an OEM one installed.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the advice and discussion. Just had it installed. The new glass looks EXACTLY the same as original down to every details except an extra tinted top banner. Hope it behaves the same. It costs $360 through autoglassguru down to a local glass shop.

Here in NYC, full insurance with no deductible plus full glass probably cost you a quarter of a new BMW a year. So I skip it altogether.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Here in NYC, full insurance with no deductible plus full glass probably cost you a quarter of a new BMW a year. So I skip it altogether.
Bummer. I just pulled my latest bill out of the file. In Colorado, I pay $133 every six months for $500 deductible comprehensive insurance with a zero-deductible rider for glass.

I'm told, informally, that I can replace two windshields a year at no cost without triggering any issues with my premiums.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Bummer. I just pulled my latest bill out of the file. In Colorado, I pay $133 every six months for $500 deductible comprehensive insurance with a zero-deductible rider for glass.

I'm told, informally, that I can replace two windshields a year at no cost without triggering any issues with my premiums.
Ah, the dream land. Just went kayaking on Yampa this summer. Wish I could afford living there.