BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What diagrams correspond to the two vacuum hoses on the M54 air intake F connector?

207K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Computaluv7 
#1 · (Edited)
Given these two M54 engine vacuum hoses:

Q1: Is this the correct part number for the large hose on the F-connector?
03 fuel tank breather line 1 13907557924 $27.77

Q2: Is this the correct part number for the small hose on the F-connector?
13 VACUUM HOSE BLACK 3,5X1,8 ? 11727545323 $14.82

In summary, since it's really hard to tell which hoses these are, may I ask if these two diagrams are the correct diagrams for the two hoses on the F connector?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
small:Fuel filter, pressure regulator
large:Jet pump used for brake booster
SUCKING JET PUMP 1 11617545382 $57.35 +core
I saw the diagram for the 'sucking jet pump' over in the vacuum thread:
- How to locate all the vacuum hoses in the E39 engine bay (1)

Engine => Vacuum control => Vacuum control - engine

Given that diagram above, the two hoses in red must be the following:

• The hose with clamps #4 and #5 on each end:
    • 02 Hose elbow 1 11617503666 $8.17
  • The hose with the sucking jet pump and the L-shaped "support" on the other end:
    • 03 Hose elbow 1 11617547582 $17.25
Maybe the Realoem diagram is wrong, but, where is the "F" connector in that diagram?

If that #3 hose is the same hose in the picture, one end should be the plastic F connector and not the L connector shown. Right?

In that Realoem diagram, the only 'connector' is the L-shaped #6; but it doesn't look anything like the F connector on my M54 engine:

• 06 Support 1 13327503677 $1.35
So I'm confused. Is the diagram wrong?

#4 ·
#13 ·
I was at the dealer today and bought some small parts. I asked for a "F" connector 13 32 7 503 677. Their diagram also showed that it is an "L" shaped connector. The parts guy went back tot the stock room and returned with the "F" connector. This confirms that the part correct part number for the "F" connector is 13 32 7 503 677.

This goes in my toolbox along with the clutch pivot pin, just in case.

Photos of the invoice and part below.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Over in another thread, we confirmed the realoem diagrams are wrong:
- Might we be able to list, with pics (realoem diagrams ok) of ALL E39 vacuum lines?

Same diagrams as in the E46, but they also are wrong (for the E46). In the third diagram down titled "Vacuum control - Engine" shows an elbow #6 which in reality is the "F" connector on most E46's.

Now that I know what the sucking jet pump looks like, I think this circled part is what qtxragtop was trying to show me in his picture in post #2 above (that circled part is the sucking jet pump):

Here is my M54 engine (with the F-connector removed) showing where the large hose goes to the sucking jet pump:

And, here's a closeup of my sucking jet pump (with the large hose from the F-connector removed):

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Someone, who was apparently missing the small hose on the lower arm of the F connector, asked today WHERE the other end of the small hoses goes:
- M54 vacuum hoses ... what diameter ... what brand ... what material ... what length?

I need to replace the smaller hose that comes from the "F" connector. Does anyone know where that hose connects to?
The answer of which I hope to leverage here...

That small F-connector hose is #13 here which is about a foot (or so) long:

But, these Realoem diagrams STINK at showing you WHERE they actually connect!

The small hose connects from the F connector lower spout to a metal pipe which is secured on the wall just below the shock mounts (under the driver side air filter housing).

Here is my old small hose in place:

Here I am sizing the six feet of O'Reilly Auto Parts vacuum hose by connecting first to the metal pipe and then cutting to fit to the F connector:
- O'Reilly p/n P3340 $3.49 Thermoid Windshield Washer & Vacuum Tubing 5/32" x 6'

Here is the new hose from O'Reilly Auto Parts, now cut and in place on the F connector:

And, to give you a better idea of exactly what it looks like where it connects to the metal pipe, here is a closeup of the connection to item #10 vacuum pipe in the realoem diagram above.

Notice the metal vacuum pipe fits into a C-shaped metal bracket bolted to the side of the engine bay with and easy-to-lose removable rubber sleeve insert for vibration protection:

The reason the tip of the old small hose is frayed is because I was removing the hoses in the O'Reilly parking lot with the lousy screwdriver in the trunk toolkit to bring them inside for sizing.

Here are both hoses in situ on the F connector; notice they're just about the same length:

EDIT: The smaller-length broken hose in this picture is the SAP valve hose on the other side of the engine.

#31 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Thanks for the information about the smaller hose on the "F" connector. Mine is not actually missing, but is brittle. I plan to replace it before it breaks.

So this answers the question why the vacuum port on the CCV is capped when used on the M54.

On some M52 engines the FPR was on the end of the fuel rail and the vacuum source was the nipple on the CCV. On the M54, the FPR is on the fuel filter. The second hose on the "F" connector supplies vacuum to the FPR.

I suspect the "L" connector was changed to an "F" connector on the M54. The vacuum port on the CCV was capped on the M54 because it is redundant.

#8 ·
So this answers the question why the vacuum port on the CCV is capped when used on the M54.
For others following this in the future, what Steve530 is referring to is the wondrously informative revelation he proposed over in this detailed thread:
- Am I blowing smoke with this new CCV vacuum hose manifold port endcap theory?

I suspect the "L" connector was changed to an "F" connector on the M54. The vacuum port on the CCV was capped on the M54 because it is redundant.
Exact'ily!

Given the following:

1. The M54 diagram for the fuel pressure regulator is inconclusive:
  2. The M54 realoem diagram for the CCV is wrong:
  3. The M54 diagram for the F-connector is dead wrong:
I suspect the following happened between the M52 & the M54:

1. BMW moved the fuel pressure regulator from the engine bay to under where the driver sits...
    • So they simply ERASED the relevant parts in the diagram (notice they even erased the location dot!). The vacuum hose doesn't show any connection whatsoever!
  2. BMW capped off the CCV vacuum port
    • In this case, they didn't modify the diagram at all so it's wrong in that hose #6 is actually endcap #15 (not shown on the diagram or in the parts list)
  3. BMW changed the L connector to an F connector so that the hose that previously got suction from the CCV would now get suction from the F connector
    • Again, they didn't bother to fix the diagram; so the diagram is confusing at best and dead wrong in many ways!
These changes are partly the reason for all the confusion (which is noted on other threads - but which isn't fully outlined in any!).

TO BMW 528i OWNERS:
Can you kindly confirm what we've said above holds water?

If you have the M52 engine, I'd expect to see:

1. Your fuel pressure regulator is in the engine bay
  2. Your CCV vacuum port is connected to that fuel pressure regulator
  3. Your rubber elbow has an L connector on top
Is that what you see?

#9 ·
Just now, ill_kuma asked the exact questions we've been asking, i.e.,
- What SAE size are good replacement hoses
- Where do we get them
- What material should they be (e.g., high-temp silicone)
- Where do they connect (both ends)
- etc.

- E39 (1997 - 2003) > What size is this hose?
On the intake boot there is a F connector with 2 hoses. I broke the smaller hose and went to Autozone but they said they do not have the same size. What size is it and where do you guys get it from? Thanks.
The hope is that we can build the threads below with details so that a single summary thread will suffice to tell anyone exactly what they need to replace all the vacuum hoses best:

- How to locate all problematic vacuum hoses & endcaps in the E39 engine bay (1) & where to get new vacuum hoses & endcaps (1) & what SAE sizes to get for all the M54 engine vacuum hoses (1) & correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & finding the ends of hard-to-locate vacuum hoses (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the E39 M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1)

BTW, I opened a separate thread yesterday on the CCV questions for the M52:
- E39 M52 owners: Please check your realoem diagrams against your vehicle & help us out

#10 ·
BTW, some say to just bring the hose to Autozone ... but ... that fails miserably for two reasons:

a) They (often) don't stock our size
b) You have to destroy the ends so if (a) above is true, then now you're hosed!

The better method is to find a better source.

For example, this came up just now in this thread:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Where to get M54 metric sized vacuum hoses at a decent price (or what American size)?

McMaster-Carr has the hose you are looking for, but it is not braided, at $1.19 per foot. Part # 52315K121, they are an on-line and catalog industrial supply house.

#11 ·
For the record, this thread just now came in handy by answering this M54 E46 question today:
- E46 (1999 - 2006) > Which tube goes into the rubber boot for air intake?

I just replaced p/n: 13541705209 (#3 on this diagram) in my 2004 BMW 325Cic. In the process, the lower tube that goes into the top of the rubber boot broke.

I attached a picture. Does anyone know what the broken tube is called or what the part number is? It looks like the connection piece broke.

Attachments

#12 ·
For the record, this thread today postulates the 'fuel tank breather' hose connects to the bottom of the intake manifold at the spout in the photo below from that thread:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > What Is This or What Goes There?

Furthermore, the OP of that thread outlines some errors in the diagram below:

the line marked in blue is going to the throttle body, but there are no vacuum ports on the throttle body.

Also, the diagram shows that the fuel tank breather valve is vertical, while in reality it is mounted horizontally in the front of the intake manifold.
Given that, here is my updated diagram, so others benefit, long after we're gone:

Attachments

#15 ·
For the record, the E46 team is having the same issues with the realoem diagrams being all wrong for the "F" connector in their engines which happens to be the same part number as ours:
- E46 (1999 - 2006) > e46 rubber intake hose support part

For the 2002 330cic e46 m54 ENGINE ... Do you know where this plastic pipe goes to? I am talking about the one at the bottom of that pair connected to rubber intake hose.

The plastic part is an F tube connector and the lower hose runs to the fuel filter; it is the pressure regulator.
Yeah, I just saw some threads on e46fanatics. You are right it goes to fuel pressure regulator. I am not sure the dealership keeps the part in stock or not. Part number for this F shape connector is: 13327503677

RealOEM website is deceiving for newer e46 cars with fuel pressure regulators. They still show the diagrams for the earlier versions with L shape connector. But the part numer is right for e46 M54 engines. See the link.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES33009/

#18 · (Edited)
I came here to find the "corrected" hose for the sas air system:
- Correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & finding the ends of hard-to-locate vacuum tubes (1)

But, since it wasn't here, I add it now so that it can be found in the future.

See also:
- How to locate all problematic (between 1/8" & 9/32" ID) 3.5x1.8mm, 3.3x1.8mm & (between 17/64" & 9/32" ID) 7mm ID vacuum tubing (single material), vacuum hoses (multiple material), 3.3mm OD curved vacuum pipes (rigid tubes), 3.5mm & 7mm ID vacuum endcaps (closed end) & 7x3mm manifold o-rings (1) & 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injection o-rings (1) & gaskets (1) on the M54 engine & where in the USA to get new vacuum tubing & vacuum caps (1) & what SAE sizes to get for all the metric M54 engine vacuum tubes, hoses, pipes, and caps (1) & correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & finding the ends of hard-to-locate vacuum tubes (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to make, borrow, or buy lean-condition misfire test tools to test for vacuum leaks & lean conditions (1) (2)

Here's a picture of my SAS hose ...

EDIT: Here's a nice description and diagram of the SAS:
- What are the components of the secondary air system SAS (1)
Kibokojoe said:
Secondary Air pump (SAP) troubleshooting and repair. (2000 BMW E39 528i)
If you are receiving two OBD errors P1421 and P1423 it may be your SAP system. I have read several of the online manuals and Bentleys is worthless, they all gave me a headache by the time I was finished. They all made it harder to determine the problem then they needed too. So to help the next guy (simply) through this problem here is my write up.
Take a look at the illustration there are four major components to the SAP system.

1. Secondary air pump (SAP
  2. Air pump valve (APV)
  3. Electric valve (EV)
  4. Non-return valve (NRV)
First test detach hose from the SAP at the APV (# one with a yellow circle). Mine has the squeeze ring. Once detached have someone start the car. Car has to be cold for at least 4 hours. Feel for air is blowing from the SAP.
If blowing SAP is good
If no blowing SAP bad
If SAP is blowing feel the inlet side of the APV if you feel exhaust APV is bad. Test for one minute to see if valve eventually closes.
If APV is closed check the vacuum on the APV. I used a mitivac. Check APV by itself (it should hold a vacuum with no leaking). Then check the hose running from the APV to the manifold. I attached the mitivac at point A and put my finger over point B. This is where I found my leak***8230;. hose was rotten. Check the rest of the hose from C to the manifold.
The NRV is directional (Arrow). You can check it with the mitivac, I just sucked on it to determine the direction of the flow, it only goes one way. If you can draw air both directions the NRV is bad.
The biggest pain in this project was getting the EV out for inspection. The EV is under the back of the intake manifold and you have to use a small mirror and a flashlight to see and determine how to get the EV off of the mounting bracket.
Remove the right side air box
Remove the beauty covers from the top of the engine. Makes it easier to check the vacuum hoses and to get at the EV
While you're doing this it is best if you replace all the hoses # 7 and #4.
If you look at the side picture of the EV you will see a clip. You have to pull the EV towards you while pushing in on the clip towards the engine. I used a thin blade 6" screwdriver. Unless you have someone to hold the mirror and light you will have to do this blind. Also the on-line illustration of the EV are backwards. (red arrow).
Kibokojoe

#28 ·
replacing vacuum lines

I came here to find the "corrected" hose for the sas air system:
- Correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & finding the ends of hard-to-locate vacuum tubes (1)

But, since it wasn't here, I add it now so that it can be found in the future.

See also:
- How to locate all problematic (between 1/8" & 9/32" ID) 3.5x1.8mm, 3.3x1.8mm & (between 17/64" & 9/32" ID) 7mm ID vacuum tubing (single material), vacuum hoses (multiple material), 3.3mm OD curved vacuum pipes (rigid tubes), 3.5mm & 7mm ID vacuum endcaps (closed end) & 7x3mm manifold o-rings (1) & 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injection o-rings (1) & gaskets (1) on the M54 engine & where in the USA to get new vacuum tubing & vacuum caps (1) & what SAE sizes to get for all the metric M54 engine vacuum tubes, hoses, pipes, and caps (1) & correcting the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & finding the ends of hard-to-locate vacuum tubes (1) & sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to make, borrow, or buy lean-condition misfire test tools to test for vacuum leaks & lean conditions (1) (2)

Here's a picture of my SAS hose ...

EDIT: Here's a nice description and diagram of the SAS:
- What are the components of the secondary air system SAS (1)

i broke the rigid line #3 in the above diagram. does anyone know where i can find a new one.

thx!

#19 ·
RE FPR vacuum tube.
As far as I know the small diameter tube connecting to the FPR isn't to regulate fuel pressure, this is done by a spring inside the FPR. The tube is to route any fuel leakage past the FPR diaphragm back into the engine for emission control purposes. In an M52TU engine like mine the tube goes to the CCV where there is a low vacuum. (same low vacuum you can feel at the oil filler cap) I have the "L" connector going to the sucking jet pump. On the M54 engine it goes to the intake ducting via the "F" connector. (the "F" connector may be market specific) There isn't much vacuum in the intake ducting between the air filter and the throttle body.
Also realoem diagrams are line drawings and may not be exact replicas of components or their correct orientation or location.

Am I wrong?

RonR

#20 · (Edited)
For the record, here's another explanation today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Broke a vaccine fitting need help
I was trying to clean take out the icv and broke the vacuum fitting on the intake hose coming from the air box. Does anyone know what it is called or what it goes to? I have a 2001 530...
that is just a 3/8 vacuum elbow.
you can buy them for a few bucks at any parts store. just ask for 3/8x3/8 vacuum fittings.
I would recommend replacing the vacuum line from the boot to the vacuum tee just behind it. It's about a 6 inch run of line so a few bucks as well.
all in you can fix it for 5 or 6 bucks :)
If you truly have a 2001 530, the pic you posted is not from your car which has a M54 engine. Instead the pic is from a 528 with a M52 engine and the line is not really a vacuum line. The pic is of what we call the L connector. The M54 has an F connector-The large line feeds air to the suction jet pump that increases brake booster vacuum through the Venturi effect; the small line is a vent line from the fuel pressure regulator.

The best place to get the F connector is from the dealer or from one of the major BMW parts suppliers: Pelican, Bavauto, Turner, etc., etc.

Part # 13327503677

#24 ·
That charcoal canister has always confused me, but it should be explained somewhere in these threads...
- Debugging the gasoline evap purge valve sensor and purge control valve evaporative emissions fuel system vapor recovery P0440 P0441 P0442 P0444 P0445 P0446 P0451 P1403 and other fuel tank breather valve and gas cap leak obd codes (1) & a fuel injection LDP leak detection pump DIY (1) & a fuel system charcoal canister R&R DIY (1) & where is the fuel tank breather valve located (1) & tricks for resolving the P0455 diagnostic trouble code when the missing gas cap is replaced (1) & does spilled gasoline really go into the charcoal canister via the two steel vent holes in the fuel filler canister at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position and why is there a hole in the 6 o'clock position of my fuel filler hole rubber gasket (1)