Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Coupe
Talking Want to sell my 328i coupe, dealer willing take it @ $21,500

Want to sell my 328i Coupe to dealer. I brought the car 4 years ago from the same dealer. They are willing to take the car for $21,500. However, they also told me they may increase a bit once they check my car.

Year 2008 328i coupe
cold weather package + Premium package
Mileage: 21555

First owner, great maintenance, good-excellent condiiton, No scratch at all, very clean car fax report, easy driving.

Re sell value from KBB

Trade-In Value:$26,425 (Good) ; Private Party Value: $28,685 (Good)

Re sell value from Edmunds

Trade-In Value:$23,161 (Good) ; Private Party Value: $25,311 (Good)

Can you guys tell me is $21,500 a good/reasonable trade in price ? Which re sell value is more closer to REAL trade in price, KBB or Edmunds?

I am williing to sell my car no less than $24,000. Is this reasonable ? Can you guys give me some advices on negotiating the sell price with dealer?

Any suggestion/advices appreciated

Thanks!!!

Here are some pictures of my car

Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
Excellent paint and interior and the average mileage of a car two years old is far from "Good" under the KBB definition. Look at the going rate through ads in your area. I'm thinking this car is a good candidate for CPO and the dealer would stand to make a good chunk of change at $21k.

Also see if the great Arkady over in the Ask-A-Dealer section can give you an estimate of what the car goes for at auction (there is a sticky in that subforum).

Are you looking to buy a new car from the same dealer?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Excellent paint and interior and the average mileage of a car two years old is far from "Good" under the KBB definition. Look at the going rate through ads in your area. I'm thinking this car is a good candidate for CPO and the dealer would stand to make a good chunk of change at $21k.

Also see if the great Arkady over in the Ask-A-Dealer section can give you an estimate of what the car goes for at auction (there is a sticky in that subforum).

Are you looking to buy a new car from the same dealer?

Thanks a lot for your inputs, hyperzulu !

So you mean I can try to sell it to the dealer as a CPO? How do I approach this to the dealer?

I will ask this question in the Ask-A-Dealer section, thanks!

I am planning to buy a new 2012 X5 35i. However, I may move to CA end of this year, I am now in IL. This dealer doesnt have a store in CA. Also my wife just had a baby, if I buy the new X5 in IL and drive all the way to CA, its going to be too much for the 5 months old baby. Thats why I have to sell the car to my dealer in IL and then buy the X5 later when I arrive at CA.

Thanks !
Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: none
Wow. Is that a manual? If it is we should work out a deal. I am located in Champaign, IL.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujia View Post
Thanks a lot for your inputs, hyperzulu !

So you mean I can try to sell it to the dealer as a CPO? How do I approach this to the dealer?

I will ask this question in the Ask-A-Dealer section, thanks!

I am planning to buy a new 2012 X5 35i. However, I may move to CA end of this year, I am now in IL. This dealer doesnt have a store in CA. Also my wife just had a baby, if I buy the new X5 in IL and drive all the way to CA, its going to be too much for the 5 months old baby. Thats why I have to sell the car to my dealer in IL and then buy the X5 later when I arrive at CA.

Thanks !
You can't sell it to the dealer as a CPO car. I mean, most likely with low miles, good mechanical condition and great cosmetic condition means the dealer may want to put it on the lot instead of simply unloading the car. They stand to make money off of taking your car and doing an inspection and reconditioning to put it on their lot as a CPO BMW. They can get more for a CPO car than a non-CPO. So it adds maybe $2k to their retail value on the car.

I am saying, check around and make sure they aren't buying your car and turning around to sell it at a $6k profit because they got you to sell your car at wholesale when it may be worth much more. And if it is, you should negotiate for some of that especially if you aren't even getting something in return like invoice pricing on a new car or whatever.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 AM
Officially Contaminated

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
What about selling it to a place like CarMax? They might give you a little more cash...
Old 10-14-2011, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: MCS 2007
I just bought a 2008 328I SULEV 26k miles w/Premium + Cold Weather from my local dealer in Greenville, SC for $25,900. They originally had it listed for $29k but came down quick (end of the month and car was on the lot for over 2 months). It is not CPO but still has the factory warranty for another few months. Looking on eBay and Carmax this was a great price for the car at retail. Just another point of reference for you.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
The dealers around me typically say to look at trade-in fair on KBB, Edmunds seems more accurate, but ultimately the dealers work off auction pricing and that fluctuates week to week and on demand, but typically they start at the average auction price your car sells for and then are willing to pay more or less based on condition.

Looking it up $21575 is the price for fair, looking at your car, I would shoot for $22,500, but I think 24k is a bit steep, especially since it is a stick, stick's are worth less actually to the dealer as they are harder to sell and sit on the lot longer - enthusiasts will pay more, dealers less. Typically on a lease, the residual is lower on a stick due to demand on resale.

Good luck with the sale - that is a sweet ride and I would think someone would jump on it privately as it is mint, low mileage and a stick!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlszxcv View Post
Wow. Is that a manual? If it is we should work out a deal. I am located in Champaign, IL.
unfortunately its automatic lol
Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
You can't sell it to the dealer as a CPO car. I mean, most likely with low miles, good mechanical condition and great cosmetic condition means the dealer may want to put it on the lot instead of simply unloading the car. They stand to make money off of taking your car and doing an inspection and reconditioning to put it on their lot as a CPO BMW. They can get more for a CPO car than a non-CPO. So it adds maybe $2k to their retail value on the car.

I am saying, check around and make sure they aren't buying your car and turning around to sell it at a $6k profit because they got you to sell your car at wholesale when it may be worth much more. And if it is, you should negotiate for some of that especially if you aren't even getting something in return like invoice pricing on a new car or whatever.
Thanks again for your comments. I will see if I can negotiate them dealer and get more cash....

one question... is it true for car like mine, its hard to sell to individual ? I mean individual wont consider buying a used luxury car like this .. they probly want to spend another $15000 and just get a new car ? I may want to post the car ads within my company's ads database and see if anyone at work in interested.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Submarine View Post
What about selling it to a place like CarMax? They might give you a little more cash...

I was told car max give little cash for used car ... but never tried qouting on a luxury used car though ... may worth a try . thanks for ur suggestion
Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelHawk View Post
I just bought a 2008 328I SULEV 26k miles w/Premium + Cold Weather from my local dealer in Greenville, SC for $25,900. They originally had it listed for $29k but came down quick (end of the month and car was on the lot for over 2 months). It is not CPO but still has the factory warranty for another few months. Looking on eBay and Carmax this was a great price for the car at retail. Just another point of reference for you.
Thanks RebelHawk, when you say this was a great price for the car at retail... do you mean the $21,500 price my dealer agreed to buy back my 328 now ? or its the $24,000 price I want ?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
The dealers around me typically say to look at trade-in fair on KBB, Edmunds seems more accurate, but ultimately the dealers work off auction pricing and that fluctuates week to week and on demand, but typically they start at the average auction price your car sells for and then are willing to pay more or less based on condition.

Looking it up $21575 is the price for fair, looking at your car, I would shoot for $22,500, but I think 24k is a bit steep, especially since it is a stick, stick's are worth less actually to the dealer as they are harder to sell and sit on the lot longer - enthusiasts will pay more, dealers less. Typically on a lease, the residual is lower on a stick due to demand on resale.

Good luck with the sale - that is a sweet ride and I would think someone would jump on it privately as it is mint, low mileage and a stick!
Thanks a lot, roadkillerrod ....(funny name lol)

I think what you have said make good sense... I will try $22,000 price ... I probly will go to carmax and couple more dealers
Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
+10 on that.

One more thing ... don't put your back against the wall. If I was in the market, I'd fly over and buy that car from you tomorrow. Just as so many people here wait for months until perfect car comes along, you should wait until perfect buyer comes along. I don't care what KBB and others have to say, well-kept car interior is such a rarity (more so than MT in my opinion) in this country so that it is easily worth +$2,000 over what "normal" car with same numbers would be. If you can't sell it in IL, why not drive it to CA alone (wife and baby are flying) and see from there.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I just sold a 2004 Subaru WRX by placing an ad in both the local Craigslist and in AutoTrader. The car was in good+ condition and I got my asking price. I had a total of 14 people contact me and had appointments set up for 5 to see the car when I determined they either were pre-approved for a car loan or would pay in cash. The others needed to qualify for loans. The first guy flew in from Ohio to eastern PA and paid cash on the spot. This all happened within 6 days of placing the ad.

Try selling it yourself through an ad. Used car prices are very strong right now. My asking price was KBB, near the high end of private sale which everyone thought was a fair price.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
+10 on that.

One more thing ... don't put your back against the wall. If I was in the market, I'd fly over and buy that car from you tomorrow. Just as so many people here wait for months until perfect car comes along, you should wait until perfect buyer comes along. I don't care what KBB and others have to say, well-kept car interior is such a rarity (more so than MT in my opinion) in this country so that it is easily worth +$2,000 over what "normal" car with same numbers would be. If you can't sell it in IL, why not drive it to CA alone (wife and baby are flying) and see from there.

Hi, Mark,

Thanks a lot for your advices! Appreciated a lot !

Now I am planning to sell my car to private for more. I hope I can sell it before I need move to CA. I just have concern if I drive my car all the way to CA, it will add more mileage to it plus if I got into accident, I then got screwed.

What do you think of the bottom price for my car if I sell it to individual ? I am thinking of $26,000, will this be too hight ?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I just sold a 2004 Subaru WRX by placing an ad in both the local Craigslist and in AutoTrader. The car was in good+ condition and I got my asking price. I had a total of 14 people contact me and had appointments set up for 5 to see the car when I determined they either were pre-approved for a car loan or would pay in cash. The others needed to qualify for loans. The first guy flew in from Ohio to eastern PA and paid cash on the spot. This all happened within 6 days of placing the ad.

Try selling it yourself through an ad. Used car prices are very strong right now. My asking price was KBB, near the high end of private sale which everyone thought was a fair price.
Thanks, Beden,

I have couple more question for selling car to private:

1, I still have 3 more car loan payments to go. do you suggest I pay if off now so I can have the title in hand, which its easier to do business?

2, Can I just say I want cash when selling my car in the ads ?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM

One Question for bimmer owners in CA,

If I had to ship/drive my car to CA and sell my car in CA, is the used BMW cars popular there? Can I trade in my car to different BMW dealer over there and then buy the new X5? How's the X5 price offered in CA ? compared to getting new X5 in IL ? Want to have some idea of the difference of trading/buying BMW bewteen IL and CA...

Any idea would appreciated !
Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible
Selling a car to a dealer is an act of desperation. They are going to play it VERY safe. The only thing they have to gain is making good money on the resale. When you are trading the car in, they have profit on the new car, a chance to win a new customer, and possible profit on the resale. Buying your car is just an opportunity to buy another car for resale. There are auctions almost everyday where they can buy cars for resale. They have little insentive to offer you anythng other than a rock-bottom price. Dealers cannot allow themselves to "fall in love" with a car; to them it is just buying a commodity that will help them make a profit. If you are desperate, selling to a dealer is a quick way to get the car moved, but it is like pawning your watch, you certainly can't expect to get top dollar....
Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Thanks, Beden,

I have couple more question for selling car to private:

1, I still have 3 more car loan payments to go. do you suggest I pay if off now so I can have the title in hand, which its easier to do business?
I would highly recommend doing this if you can. It will make the transaction so much easier.

Quote:
2, Can I just say I want cash when selling my car in the ads ?
I wouldn't take anything but cash. Money Orders / Certified Checks can be stolen / forged. Unless ~$22K isn't a lot of money to you do the deal in cash. Go to the bank if you have to.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Want to sell my 328i Coupe to dealer. I brought the car 4 years ago from the same dealer. They are willing to take the car for $21,500. However, they also told me they may increase a bit once they check my car.

Year 2008 328i coupe
cold weather package + Premium package
Mileage: 21555

First owner, great maintenance, good-excellent condiiton, No scratch at all, very clean car fax report, easy driving.

Re sell value from KBB

Trade-In Value:$26,425 (Good) ; Private Party Value: $28,685 (Good)

Re sell value from Edmunds

Trade-In Value:$23,161 (Good) ; Private Party Value: $25,311 (Good)

Can you guys tell me is $21,500 a good/reasonable trade in price ? Which re sell value is more closer to REAL trade in price, KBB or Edmunds?

I am williing to sell my car no less than $24,000. Is this reasonable ? Can you guys give me some advices on negotiating the sell price with dealer?

Any suggestion/advices appreciated
One thing to keep in mind is in some states you will receive a tax break on the trade in price when buying a new vehicle. Where I live in Colorado I would receive a $1,741.5 (8.1%) tax break off the purchase of another vehicle. Thus my net would be $23,241.5 (assuming a $21,500 trade in offer). Are you willing to go through the hassle of a private party sale for $758.50? Again this assumes you receive a tax break and the break is at 8.1%.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by haskindm View Post
Selling a car to a dealer is an act of desperation. They are going to play it VERY safe. The only thing they have to gain is making good money on the resale. When you are trading the car in, they have profit on the new car, a chance to win a new customer, and possible profit on the resale. Buying your car is just an opportunity to buy another car for resale. There are auctions almost everyday where they can buy cars for resale. They have little insentive to offer you anythng other than a rock-bottom price. Dealers cannot allow themselves to "fall in love" with a car; to them it is just buying a commodity that will help them make a profit. If you are desperate, selling to a dealer is a quick way to get the car moved, but it is like pawning your watch, you certainly can't expect to get top dollar....
Thanks for your inputs here .. appreciated )) I will keep in mind what you wrote here
Old 10-18-2011, 01:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is in some states you will receive a tax break on the trade in price when buying a new vehicle. Where I live in Colorado I would receive a $1,741.5 (8.1%) tax break off the purchase of another vehicle. Thus my net would be $23,241.5 (assuming a $21,500 trade in offer). Are you willing to go through the hassle of a private party sale for $758.50? Again this assumes you receive a tax break and the break is at 8.1%.

Hey sunny,

what you said here made good sense....Its defintly not worthy all those trouble to just get $758 more by selling to private party ! I will see what ppl are offerring to pay for my car... Only if I can sell for much more than $24,000, I then may go through all those hassle of a private party sale !
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Hey sunny,

what you said here made good sense....Its defintly not worthy all those trouble to just get $758 more by selling to private party ! I will see what ppl are offerring to pay for my car... Only if I can sell for much more than $24,000, I then may go through all those hassle of a private party sale !
You mentioned the dealer may be willing to offer you more after having a look at your car. Have you explored that option yet?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:55 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
What car are you going to replace it with?