Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2004 Events > Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Old 04-09-2004, 09:37 AM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Terry Goes To Bimmerfest

Ok, I'm starting a new thread on my drive to Bimmerfest and back (from New York!). Refer to the attached map images for more info...

I'll be driving out to Bimmerfest in pretty much of a straight line (see the black line on the map images), only stopping off in Illinois to see Amanda. I expect I'll be leaving on the 21st or the 22nd. I'm booked at the Ramada, arriving on the 29th, departing on the 2nd.

After the 'fest, I'm heading up to Vasquez Rocks to photograph the car there, then on to Death Valley (on the blue line) and following Emission's Death Valley trip. After that, I head over to Las Vegas for some more photography, then down to Lake Havasu City, Arizona to visit a friend of the family. After that, I'm heading up to Vail, Colorado where I will retrace the path of the 2003 Colorado Grand in its entirety (the red line). After that, plans are up in the air, but I'll probably be heading back to Amanda's and then heading down toward New Orleans.

The "WP" on the maps are waypoints I'll program into the NAV computer to keep it from giving me routes in directions I don't want to go.
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2004, 09:45 AM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
... I'm heading up to Vail, Colorado where I will retrace the path of the 2003 Colorado Grand in its entirety (the red line).
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can expect my car to be doing at elevations of 10,000 feet or above? Given that the Grand used classic cars in various conditions, I'd hope I wouldn't have any problems, but...
Old 04-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can expect my car to be doing at elevations of 10,000 feet or above? Given that the Grand used classic cars in various conditions, I'd hope I wouldn't have any problems, but...
My folks live in the Denver area so I have driven in the Rockies a couple of times with my car.

I don't think you will have any problems at all. However you will notice a drop in HP the higher you go. I don't remember what the formula is off hand (though I am sure someone here does ), but it is notice able. I made one trip with my wife, mom, oldest daughter and myself, and really had no problems. BMW's cool themselves very well, so you shouldn't even need to worry about the car temps climbing due to you working the car harder.

I am sure you already know this, but as you come out of the Rockies headed east or west, engine braking is your friend

The weather should be perfect and hopefully you will get out before all the Texans in their motorhomes start to plague the mountians.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:59 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I think it was something like 5bhp/1000ft elevation.

At the last DV trip, we were wondering how much HP gain we got when we were driving below sea level.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
I think it was something like 5bhp/1000ft elevation.
Ouch!...that means you go over a 10K ft pass you loose 50bhp. I feel sorry for those folks who live in Denver, Colorado Springs, Santa Fe and such. Both those places have an elevation between 5K and 7K ft. Daily there is 25~35bhp they will never enjoy unless they head for sea level.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A highly Modded E21
Wow, I still cant beleive you are coming from NY to Cali. Hope to meet there. Have a safe drive.

E21 LEGION
Bimmerfest: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10 Veteran
Old 04-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Terry -- by "waypoints" do you mean you just programmed those destinations in to the address book, and plan to establish the next "waypoint" as your new destination (i.e., terminate guidance, select next "waypoint" as new destination, establish guidance with the "Directions" menu item) when you arrive at each "waypoint"?

Or do you have some slick WP feature in your NAV that I haven't been able to find?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:19 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
Terry -- by "waypoints" do you mean you just programmed those destinations in to the address book, and plan to establish the next "waypoint" as your new destination (i.e., terminate guidance, select next "waypoint" as new destination, establish guidance with the "Directions" menu item) when you arrive at each "waypoint"?
Right.
Quote:
Or do you have some slick WP feature in your NAV that I haven't been able to find?
Nope
Old 04-10-2004, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
You are doing all this without a co-pilot? I know that with NAV you do not need someone to be checking the maps for you but that is a heck of a long drive.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Mein Auto: Black 1995 540i
See ya at the Ramada Terry!

It will be time to wash the car, BIG TIME!
Drive safe.

Check your PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:10 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
You are doing all this without a co-pilot? I know that with NAV you do not need someone to be checking the maps for you but that is a heck of a long drive.
Well, I regularly (every month or so) drive out to Amanda's and back (850 miles one way). I'm taking it easy, leaving on the 22nd to arrive on the 29th, so it shouldn't be that bad.

I hope to "borrow" a navigator in Albuquerque for the part of the trip that includes retracing the Colorado Grand route, since that has many turns.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3turbog16
Wow, I still cant beleive you are coming from NY to Cali. Hope to meet there. Have a safe drive.
We need to come up with a special prize for Terry...
Old 04-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumratt
How about some free therapy sessions once you open your practice?

He must have some serious issues given the feat he's attempting. (just kidding Terry!)
All he will need is a nice foamy brewski when he gets here!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:55 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
I drove across the continental divide back in 1985 in my '83 accord. It had a 70 hp four (silky smooth) fed by a carburetor. At ten thousand feet, it was eerily quiet, but the car lost quite a bit of power.

I also hit a blizzard up there. To paraphrase William Least Heat Moon in "Blue Highways":"...a mountain is a place with its own weather".

Ed
Old 04-12-2004, 08:21 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer
All he will need is a nice foamy brewski when he gets here!
Standard tool in the psychologist's doctor's bag?
Old 04-18-2004, 03:08 PM
There and back again

I've washed, Zaino'd, and detailed the car to perfection. Of course, it will get rained on, bugged at, and so forth on the way, but it should be a relatively easy cleanup once I get there.

Each picture is clickable for a larger version:

The nose mask is new for this trip. I figure I'll spare the car another 8000 miles of rock chips...
Old 04-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Quote:
I've washed, Zaino'd, and detailed the car to perfection. Of course, it will get rained on, bugged at, and so forth on the way, but it should be a relatively easy cleanup once I get there.

Each picture is clickable for a larger version:

The nose mask is new for this trip. I figure I'll spare the car another 8000 miles of rock chips...
Holy sh** Terry, stop using that Zaino stuff, wasn't that car black before??
Looks good Buuuuudy and we'll see in a couple weeks, bugs, grime & all.
Hey, how 'bout some pictures along the way??
Old 04-18-2004, 07:04 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Holy sh** Terry, stop using that Zaino stuff, wasn't that car black before??
:nyuknyuknyuk:
Quote:
Looks good Buuuuudy and we'll see in a couple weeks, bugs, grime & all.
Hey, how 'bout some pictures along the way??
I can probably arrange that. Stay tuned.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Quote:
:nyuknyuknyuk:
I can probably arrange that. Stay tuned.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:36 AM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Well, I'm leaving NY in an hour or so. Hopefully my wireless Internet access will work in most of the country, but I'm not going to have my usual hours a day to peruse the 'fest. If anyone posts something they think I should see, it'd be good to email me at terry@tmk.com and say "hey, take a look at this" to make sure I see it when I stop for the night.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ///M3
Terry you are my hero. This is true dedication here.

Tyson Vilhauer - Client Advisor @ an Arizona BMW Center
Old 04-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
See you soon Terry, be safe and have fun on the way to the fest.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Well, I'm leaving NY in an hour or so. Hopefully my wireless Internet access will work in most of the country, but I'm not going to have my usual hours a day to peruse the 'fest. If anyone posts something they think I should see, it'd be good to email me at terry@tmk.com and say "hey, take a look at this" to make sure I see it when I stop for the night.
CHeck your email Terry.

I guess now I've gotta go Hadn't planned on attending this year, but I'll look forward to meet you and others at the Fest next week.

Drive safely,

beewang
Old 04-22-2004, 09:31 AM
There and back again

Quote:
Hopefully my wireless Internet access will work in most of the country, but I'm not going to have my usual hours a day to peruse the 'fest.
Well, there wasn't any service in Cambridge, Ohio where I spent the night. I'm typing this from the car in Columbus, Ohio, about 450 miles into the trip. I'll be staying at Amanda's tonight and maybe tomorrow , so don't expect a lot of posts from me tonight.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 06' 550i and 84 318i
Hey Terry,
This is my first post and Im glad its to you. You definatley are a true enthusiast. This will also be my first bimmerfest, and from what Ive seen from pics and reading the boards I am surely not to be dissapointed. I look forward to meeting you and others commited to the ultimate driving machine.

Godspeed
Frank B.