Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335 GT M spot
I really want wood arch steering wheel like in Benz and Lexus. As BMW goes, leather wheel gives the sport feel.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: maybe F30 328/335
sport probably. I read somewhere that the sport line will have a lower ride height. Can you confirm this?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
So the new F30 3 Series will be available as Modern Line, Sport Line, or Luxury Line. In addition there will be also be an M Sport Package.

Which line are you, Modern, Sport, or Luxury? Why?

I'm Sport, with the M Sport Package because it's more sport oriented and that's how I see the BMW 3 Series. The Sport Line will also offer Sport Seats, red contrast stitching, red dial accents and don't forget the red trim on the key fob! Also included are black accented bumpers, black trim, black grill, black exhaust tips, ferric grey wheels.
From the English version of the new 3 catalog, available on line:

The models illustrated in this brochure show the specifi cations and confi gurations (standard and optional equipment) of vehicles produced by BMW AG for the German market. According to the specifi c requirements of other markets, alterations in standard and optional equipment and the confi gurations available for the different models, as described in this brochure, may occur. For more precise information about country-specifi c vehicle versions, please contact your local BMW partner. Subject to change in design and equipment.
335Cabrio-2011 ED -retired
Z435i 2009 -retired

Z4 2004 -retired
Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Unless I skip the F30 generation completely--which is entirely possible, depending on how long I keep the E90--I have a feeling my answer may end up being "Individual" again.

There are bits and pieces to like and dislike in all three lines. I don't have a clear favorite and probably won't until I see them in person. In a few years when BMW Individual options become available for the F30, it will be interesting to see whether they take the form of add-ons to these trim lines, a distinct fifth "Individual" line, or freedom to blur the lines and mix & match materials. Judging by the way BMW Individual currently markets to the rest of the world, some combination of #2 and #1 seems likely, but they never seem to quite close the door on "the sky's the limit" either.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
BMW will certainly bring these themes over - they've spent a lot of time marketing these optional lines. These Lines will make manufacturing cheaper for BMW.
Which is very interesting in light of efforts obviously expended to make customization of each customers vehicle so routine on the factory floor. When we toured Regensburg in July, they emphasized during the tour how they took pride in the ability to build assembly line style a complex array of customization into production line vehicles. The new "Lines" defeat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Unless I skip the F30 generation completely--which is entirely possible, depending on how long I keep the E90--I have a feeling my answer may end up being "Individual" again.

There are bits and pieces to like and dislike in all three lines. I don't have a clear favorite and probably won't until I see them in person. In a few years when BMW Individual options become available for the F30, it will be interesting to see whether they take the form of add-ons to these trim lines, a distinct fifth "Individual" line, or freedom to blur the lines and mix & match materials. Judging by the way BMW Individual currently markets to the rest of the world, some combination of #2 and #1 seems likely, but they never seem to quite close the door on "the sky's the limit" either.
With the new offerings I wholeheartedly agree that "Individual" or freedom to blur is essential. For example, that red stripe across the dash in the "Sport" line just ruins it for me. One of the things that really clinched the deal for me in getting the E93 was the ability to customize. At least the MT is going to hang around for at least one more iteration! Of course, I've already decided to keep my E93 "forever" so all of this is just armchair quarterbacking. . . . . . .

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
BMW will certainly bring these themes over - they've spent a lot of time marketing these optional lines. These Lines will make manufacturing cheaper for BMW.
I'm still not convinced. Mercedes and Audi have both done this as well in Europe. Audi used to offer the full interior design themes in the U.S. but no longer. BMW may very well limit the choices to certain build configurations. For example, if you get the tan interior you get the "Luxury" interior treatment. I'm not saying they definitely will do this, but I guess I'm skeptical until I see a BMWNA release with this information specifically for U.S.-market cars.

One side of me says they will offer this though to limit the customization ability we currently have. For example, you can get Oyster leather and light poplar wood on an M Sport. On the F30, M Sport might be limited to alu trim and one wood and only black or gray leather.

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post
I just wish there was an option to do the sport or m-sport and get rid of some of the red/blue accents.
+1 IMO it cheapens the look of the car.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: NISSAN
i like sports
Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmwinds View Post
sport probably. I read somewhere that the sport line will have a lower ride height. Can you confirm this?
Yes, part of the M Sport package includes

Quote:
The M Sport package, which will become available after launch, is designed for this very purpose and has been developed specifically for this model series. It includes the lowered M Sport suspension, featuring a 10 millimeter (0.4 in.) drop in ride height, firmer suspension and damping, and larger anti-roll bars.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: Acura TSX
Think the M-Sport package will be available with X-drive equipped cars? with previous gen you couldnt get sport suspension with x-drive....
Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Which is very interesting in light of efforts obviously expended to make customization of each customers vehicle so routine on the factory floor. When we toured Regensburg in July, they emphasized during the tour how they took pride in the ability to build assembly line style a complex array of customization into production line vehicles. The new "Lines" defeat that.

With the new offerings I wholeheartedly agree that "Individual" or freedom to blur is essential. For example, that red stripe across the dash in the "Sport" line just ruins it for me. One of the things that really clinched the deal for me in getting the E93 was the ability to customize. At least the MT is going to hang around for at least one more iteration! Of course, I've already decided to keep my E93 "forever" so all of this is just armchair quarterbacking. . . . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwac View Post
I'm still not convinced. Mercedes and Audi have both done this as well in Europe. Audi used to offer the full interior design themes in the U.S. but no longer. BMW may very well limit the choices to certain build configurations. For example, if you get the tan interior you get the "Luxury" interior treatment. I'm not saying they definitely will do this, but I guess I'm skeptical until I see a BMWNA release with this information specifically for U.S.-market cars.

One side of me says they will offer this though to limit the customization ability we currently have. For example, you can get Oyster leather and light poplar wood on an M Sport. On the F30, M Sport might be limited to alu trim and one wood and only black or gray leather.
Most BMWs sold in its big markets - U.S. and China - are not offered a la carte. they are pre-orered by dealers. The majority of the customers are not willing to wait for 3 months for a car.

Yes BMW's manufacturing has great flexibility for these options, but they are likely not the main reason BMW is doing well as a premium car maker. While I do like the way it's done (that's how I did with my car), from the business perspective, individual options make manufacturing more costly and harder to keep track of. Also, mistakes do happen during the communication process between customers and CAs.

I guess we'll wait and see how BMWUSA will handle this.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Kat, were you asking about the definition of a true badge whores?

Check it out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f30-badges.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	297555  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pix335i View Post
Yes, part of the M Sport package includes
From what I've read the Sport line is not the same as the M Sport package and will not have the lowered ride height. It looks to me the only differences between the lines are more cosmetic with different colors / highlights / gauges / etc. Functionally they seem to be identical. The largest difference I can see between the three is the Sport line includes sport seats whereas the other packages do not. Or does anyone know differently?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
From what I've read the Sport line is not the same as the M Sport package and will not have the lowered ride height. It looks to me the only differences between the lines are more cosmetic with different colors / highlights / gauges / etc. Functionally they seem to be identical. The largest difference I can see between the three is the Sport line includes sport seats whereas the other packages do not. Or does anyone know differently?
There is an "Adaptive Suspension" option available for all lines which will lower the body by 10mm. Only the M Sport package will have the "M Sport Suspension" that will also lower it by 10mm, and an "M Adaptive Sport Suspension" option.

A 10mm body drop is all one can expect from a stock F30. I would imagine with the "adaptive" thing it would be difficult to do a further aftermarket body drop.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
What does modern mean? Minimalist/no options? So like 4 speakers, cassette player, no navi.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:26 PM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
What does modern mean? Minimalist/no options? So like 4 speakers, cassette player, no navi.
It probably means you'll find a Japanese rock garden in the trunk.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline Sixer View Post
It probably means you'll find a Japanese rock garden in the trunk.
Like this:

Old 10-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneiztoomany View Post
Think the M-Sport package will be available with X-drive equipped cars? with previous gen you couldnt get sport suspension with x-drive....
I am sure it will be, and as in the past I expect it will be an appearance package only on AWD cars. They have always had their own suspension tuning, about halfway between sport and non-sport RWD suspensions in stiffness, and I don't expect that to change.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I like the contrast stitching, but what's with colored strip across the dash. Cheese. It reminds me of my 1993 Ford Probe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6020020076_large.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	298189  
Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I went on a rant about this on e90post so I won't do it again here. If I were to choose, Probably the Sport or M-Sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Hard to believe this will be cheaper to build. For instance, there will be FOUR different versions of black Dakota leather: Normal (LCSW), Sport with red accents (LCL3), Luxury (LCLZ) and Modern with dark Oyster accents (LCL8).

Presumably, that also means that if you want black leather with your sport model, you can only get it with red accents. If you want black leather with red accents with your M sport package, not allowed. Or if you want Oyster or Saddle Brown leather with your sport or M sport, verboten.

Seems reeeeeally complicated to me...

BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 10-24-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
0-60 2.9

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive M Sport
definitely sport.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Hard to believe this will be cheaper to build. For instance, there will be FOUR different versions of black Dakota leather: Normal (LCSW), Sport with red accents (LCL3), Luxury (LCLZ) and Modern with dark Oyster accents (LCL8).

Presumably, that also means that if you want black leather with your sport model, you can only get it with red accents. If you want black leather with red accents with your M sport package, not allowed. Or if you want Oyster or Saddle Brown leather with your sport or M sport, verboten.

Seems reeeeeally complicated to me...

Totally agree. I cannot believe BMW is forcing this crap on us. But then again...they did the same with run flats, no spare, no dipstick, removal of tint band on windshield, etc..
'06 Mini Cooper S
'66 Morgan 4/4
'01 Toyota Tacoma
'73 Porsche 911T
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
This car is just plain too big now. The E90 is really too big and this just makes it worse. Probably look at an A3, 1 Series, TT-S or something like that instead. Hopefully the 1 Series hatch makes it over here. I do like the stated characteristics of the 4 cylinder turbo, I'd just like it in something smaller than a tank.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
I like the contrast stitching, but what's with colored strip across the dash. Cheese. It reminds me of my 1993 Ford Probe.
I had a 1993 Probe too! You're right, it did have an accent stripe like that. Not my favorite part of the new interior design.