Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X5
Blackberry/iPhone/iPod and BMW Apps

The dealer kept saying iPhone this iPhone that, so I am concerned about BMW Apps (especially world radio, I could care less for FB and Twitter) compatibility with Blackberry phones. Can anyone with a Blackberry comment on this?
I really don't want to get an iPhone to take full advantage of the iDrive system and BMW Apps, so I would like to know if anyone here has used both BB and iPhone can tell us the difference in features.

I saw the list on BMW website, but it does not mention if the list applies to Bluetooth or USB or Cradle/Snap On connections. It just states compatibility, but I understand that Snap On cradle adds more features. Dealer said that with iPhone we could watch the videos on the dash screen, and we could also see Pandora details & artwork as well. I hope it does the same thing with Blackberry.

Last edited by hyde; 10-15-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual

http://telematicsnews.info/2011/01/0...ed-navi_j2045/
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the link, I did find another video before but neither video covered the Apps & 3rd Party add-ons, and both videos are utilizing Bluetooth.
After a bit of searching I found this, although it still does not discuss the full list of featurs:
Based on BMW website:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...hframedin.aspx
When selected BB 9700 (9900 is not even listed) it shows that Office, Addresses, Tasks or Calendar. It also appears that we cannot listen to the music stored in BB via Bluetooth. It is really strange.

I also found a topic here on bimmerfest with members discussion pandora with blackberry, but it looks like they ended up simply streaming via bluetooth or just using aux cable in connection.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 3.5d on order
I have BB 9700 and I can guarantee you that bluetooth audio works fine. BMW apps are specifially made for IPhone and they will not work with BB.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x5 35i Premium
Since you're upgrading to a BMW, might as well upgrade to an iPhone as well!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post
and lose the bmw idrive's qnxos to bbos integrated features
Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
You may lose some integration with the car, although i'm not sure what you'd really be losing of any importance since the iPhone does phone, audio, BMW apps, etc. However, most of the time you're probably not in the car, and you'd be getting a substantially better phone with the iPhone!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
If you switched to iphone from Blacberry, you would lose texts, emails. You would gain Pandora MOG ( soon), connected app (facebook, twitter, internet radio and calendar) and plug-in
Old 10-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I really don't want to start an iphone vs bb war here, it's not the place, but most would not consider switching to one from another is an upgrade. There are a lot you are losing with iphone compared to blackberry especially if you are closely tied to corporate exchange features and excellent benefits that BB offers over iphone. If you want entertainment and fun, and of course apps, iphone would be a better choice.

My contract with AT&T is already up, ended in August. So an iphone is definitely an option for me, and I assume I can maintain the unlimited data option if I don't switch to another company. If AT&T is taking away the unlimited data from me, then I am switching to Verizon.

Features that I am most interested in are (screen = in dash screen); Pandora display on screen, being able to skip songs on Pandora, being able to see the song information of the music stored on my phone (title/artist is enough) and be able to browse music on my phone. I understand you can watch video with iPhone, while it is cool, it is not the most important feature for me. As for the text, e-mail, and SMS, they can wait 1 hour while I am on my way to office.

Dealer told me that snap on adapter is an add-on that we will purchase from the parts dept. Question is, does the snap on adapter actually connect directly to radio, or does it still use bluetooth?

Last edited by hyde; 10-16-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I really don't want to start an iphone vs bb war here, it's not the place, but most would not consider switching to one from another is an upgrade. There are a lot you are losing with iphone compared to blackberry especially if you are closely tied to corporate exchange features and excellent benefits that BB offers over iphone. If you want entertainment and fun, and of course apps, iphone would be a better choice.

My contract with AT&T is already up, ended in August. So an iphone is definitely an option for me, and I assume I can maintain the unlimited data option if I don't switch to another company. If AT&T is taking away the unlimited data from me, then I am switching to Verizon.

Features that I am most interested in are (screen = in dash screen); Pandora display on screen, being able to skip songs on Pandora, being able to see the song information of the music stored on my phone (title/artist is enough) and be able to browse music on my phone. I understand you can watch video with iPhone, while it is cool, it is not the most important feature for me. As for the text, e-mail, and SMS, they can wait 1 hour while I am on my way to office.

Dealer told me that snap on adapter is an add-on that we will purchase from the parts dept. Question is, does the snap on adapter actually connect directly to radio, or does it still use bluetooth?
Considering the fact that the iPhone is the best selling phone in the US and RIM is quickly losing marketshare, I'd say that most would absolutely consider the iPhone an enormous upgrade. There is nothing you are losing unless your company is one of the few that refuses to support anything but bb (iPhone does corporate exchange and has all of the security related features as well). What you get is the best screen on any smartphone, the largest app store on any smart phone, unlimited data (they don't take that away, if you already have it), and excellent pandora integration in the car, among numerous other benefits.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 PM

Thanks. The problem is, I cannot just pick up one and try to see if it works as well as blackberry with corporate address book, schedules and notes.
Does it work with outlook notes and handle multiple accounts? I think the major problem is the separate inbox as opposed to unified inbox like BB has. Regardless of folder, all e-mails are in one place, and when you file them they just get a small folder icon next to them indicating they are not in inbox. Same with folder integration, with BB you can simply file e-mails with one tap on keyboard and then you can type the folder you want to file them in, so when you have 200 folders like our company does, it would be a hell to scroll through each time we want to file correspondence. There are a lot of other features that I love on a blackberry which I know will be missing on iPhone, but I have not played with one in a long time, so some of they might be there with OS5.

Android has touchdown application that offers a lot of features that android standard email application is missing, makes it very close to a BB. Does iphone have an app like that? I know touchdown is not allowed on iphone.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 PM
lurking

Quote:

i regularly watch videos (stored on a microSD card) and also youtube videos on my 9800 while working out at the gym. i usually use a stereo bluetooth headset. i find it hilarious when i see people's iphones bouncing off the rolling treadmill because their headphone cords are attached and do did a sudden move and yanked it off the treadmill console.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:08 PM

Hi HW, thanks, but I was referring to watching the videos on BMW navigation screen. The sales person told us that you can watch the videos you purchased or downloaded to the iphone by using the bmw connection.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
One word of caution: Do not rely on anything the dealer tells you... you will discover that BMW is extraordinarily careful in their written commitments in regards to cell phones and compatibility. If they don't list it, doesnt matter what the dealer says...
Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 PM

Thanks. It sounds like he was exaggerating the features of the system, I believe he may have been referring to A/V Inputs (if there is any on the newer system) of the DVD system. It doesn't look like there is any menu/function for iDrive system to actually playback iphone/ipod videos. The menus only list audio files & playlists. It looks like we just paid $250 for facebook/twitter and a bunch of international radio channels. "BMW Apps" menu add-on. Edit: There is a mention of Vodcast/Video Podcast playback. Ref: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...back.html#more

Last edited by hyde; 10-16-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:

I have an iPhone 3GS. In the dash screen, you can listen to pandora and see the song being played. You can also give the song a thumbs up/down and skip songs as well. The album art cover shows as well if I remember correctly. This is all done via the iDrive except for the part where you have to start the pandora app and plug the phone into the car. I just plug it in using the iPhone USB cable. You can also use the iPod feature of the iphone and choose which playlist to listen to, see the song, see the album art work, skip songs etc. I only use the bluetooth feature for making calls and works fine. The Office feature does not work with the iphone (reading you your emails and SMS messages via IDrive). Though that is suppose to work with the Blackberry.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:10 AM
jDub

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Does iCal work with idrive?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 AM

Thanks gcaa, I assume you have to have BMW Apps option in your iDrive system for that to work?

vestamom, according to BMW website, Calendar functions do not work over bluetooth, it does not mention if BMW Apps or snap-in adapter/USB adds any functionality. The added features for snap-in or USB connection is not listed anywhere.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
IOS is a godsend compared to the POS that is QNX. Blackberry is so clueless these days, it's pathetic
Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
IOS is a godsend compared to the POS that is QNX. Blackberry is so clueless these days, it's pathetic

Your bmw runs qnx.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks. The problem is, I cannot just pick up one and try to see if it works as well as blackberry with corporate address book, schedules and notes.
Does it work with outlook notes and handle multiple accounts? I think the major problem is the separate inbox as opposed to unified inbox like BB has. Regardless of folder, all e-mails are in one place, and when you file them they just get a small folder icon next to them indicating they are not in inbox. Same with folder integration, with BB you can simply file e-mails with one tap on keyboard and then you can type the folder you want to file them in, so when you have 200 folders like our company does, it would be a hell to scroll through each time we want to file correspondence. There are a lot of other features that I love on a blackberry which I know will be missing on iPhone, but I have not played with one in a long time, so some of they might be there with OS5.

Android has touchdown application that offers a lot of features that android standard email application is missing, makes it very close to a BB. Does iphone have an app like that? I know touchdown is not allowed on iphone.
iOS has had a unified inbox for quite a while now, since iOS4 if I remember correctly (they're currently at iOS5). There probably aren't any other mail apps though as Apple doesn't typically allow apps that duplicate iOS built in functionality. As for Outlook notes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imexc...390716055?mt=8. Definitely works for multiple accounts. If you want to try it out, just go to any Apple store and they'd be more than happy to show you how to do whatever it is you need to do.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/business/
Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks gcaa, I assume you have to have BMW Apps option in your iDrive system for that to work?

vestamom, according to BMW website, Calendar functions do not work over bluetooth, it does not mention if BMW Apps or snap-in adapter/USB adds any functionality. The added features for snap-in or USB connection is not listed anywhere.
The ipod functionality is available without bmw apps but bmw apps is needed to be able to listen to pandora and control it via the iDrive.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the info, I am sure someone in our company must be using an iphone with our exchange server. I will check with them. The demo at Apple store probably will not be enough, unless they already have demo units running on exchange server, and not just gmail or hotmail exchange/imap.

We steered way off topic.

qca,
Thanks, I just saw your reply. How about video playback? Can you just store videos on your iphone and play them back easily? Also I hear that DVD player in dash actually can playback regular DVD discs while stopped. Is that still the case?

Last edited by hyde; 10-17-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:14 PM

I have not used the DVD playback so can't say. For video playback on your iPhone you need the iPhone cradle (don't have the cradle so haven't tried that either).

Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Your bmw runs qnx.
Some related info, just released today:

RIM Unveils Next-Generation BlackBerry BBX Operating System
"RIM bought the high-powered QNX operating system last year, and has said it will eventually power new BlackBerry smartphones."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...477249682.html