Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Also in the other news, looks like there is some activity on app development by BMW:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/10/18/bm...nter-in-china/
Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Thanks. It sounds like he was exaggerating the features of the system, I believe he may have been referring to A/V Inputs (if there is any on the newer system) of the DVD system. It doesn't look like there is any menu/function for iDrive system to actually playback iphone/ipod videos. The menus only list audio files & playlists. It looks like we just paid $250 for facebook/twitter and a bunch of international radio channels. "BMW Apps" menu add-on. Edit: There is a mention of Vodcast/Video Podcast playback. Ref: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...back.html#more
You can play back movies, music videos, tv shows and video podcasts stored on the iphone when you purchase the apps option and purchase the media snap in cradle.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks apw, we already put our order in for BMW Apps, and we will definitely pick up the snap in adapter (i assume you are referring to the one in the center console). I wish BB Snap-on cradle did the same thing, but it looks like that functionality may come soon with the new development team.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi (ED)
Hello All,

I have just placed an order on a X5d, and my VIN # was assigned last night, hence the dealer is not allowing me to add the BMW Apps to my order.

Any idea whether I will be able to add the BMW Apps to my car after I take the delivery (w/ all the features)? Any chance someone would be able to do it for me in Spartanburg? I am doing PCD.

Many thanks,

Paul
Old 10-21-2011, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubulak View Post
Hello All,

I have just placed an order on a X5d, and my VIN # was assigned last night, hence the dealer is not allowing me to add the BMW Apps to my order.

l
No, you can definitely order it. I added the spare tire after my VIN was assigned. My CA had to call someone I think
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM

Nah - I checked twice. I was told: "As per BMWNA they cannot alter a car that has gone into production. Trust me this issue has come up before."

Perhaps throwing the spare into the trunk was a lesser of an issue? Either way, doesn't seem like I will get anywhere through the dealer as far as the BMW Apps go.

Any idea whether I can add it in post production?

Paul
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 AM

When and Where did you order your X5?
We ordered last Thursday, and as of today it still has not hit production. As for BMW Apps, it is probably a software upgrade or two second flash, I don't see why they cannot add it later. I don't think there is additional hardware that enables Apps. Did you try talking to BMW directly instead of via Dealer?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 AM

Placed the order w/ a dealer in NJ on October 5th, received a prod # on the 14th, and VIN # on the 20th. I am told my car has moved to paint shop today, and it's too late for BMW Apps.

Not sure who from BMWNA I would call, but I really want this feature... I just hope it won't void warranty if I try to get it installed afterwards.

Any chance anyone knows how difficult it is to add it to cars coming off the production line these days? I found forums talking about adding it to earlier cars and w/ limited functionality only, but I don't want to start recoding a brand new car just to screw it up from the get go.

Paul
Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Try using "Priority Email" see what answer you get. I assume you already registered at http://oc.bmwusa.com/ Also check if the production status provided by dealer is accurate.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM

I have called BMW customer relations line, and they reiterated their policy to me - nothing can be changed once it goes into production. But he had some document in front of him that told him that vehicles produced after April 2011 can get it added / retrofitted, but he didn't really know that that means.

I assume if I didn't order the BMW Apps, my car won't have a BB / iPhone integration?

pb.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Apparently BMW Apps is near useless with Blackberry (until BBX is released, and new applications are developed). So if you do not have an iPhone you are not missing much.
You can still use the phone, phone book, and everything else that is listed here without BMW Apps. So you still have integration, but no World Radio, facebook, twitter or Pandora on navigation screen. Also below list states you cannot play audio over BT, but the reports above state you can.

Last edited by hyde; 10-21-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 AM

Sorry - the hyperlink you provided didn't work. So Mobile Office will still work?

I really would like to be able to stream video though to my screen. Was considering iPhone down the road as a personal phone. Not keep on Facebook.

Paul

Last edited by Bubulak; 10-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Any idea whether I can add it in post production?

Paul
Nothing so far. It's basically a software upgrade + the plug in in the console. Lots of F10 and E90 are also waiting for a retrofit, but nothing has been conclusive so far
Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Sorry - the hyperlink you provided didn't work. So Mobile Office will still work?

I really would like to be able to stream video though to my screen. Was considering iPod down the road as a personal phone. Not keep on Facebook.

Paul

Link works for me on firefox.
Well, my information is based on research on this site and elsewhere, so existing users would be able to answer better.
It looks like you cannot stream video without the apps, but you might be able to play them back off DVD drive. I was also considering getting iPod, but really the only reason for me to consider apps was Pandora on screen and world radio. I guess I will have to live with streaming pandora and World Radio via Tune-In app off my Blackberry. I wonder if we can still use Internet/Web Browsing without iPhone or Apps add-on..

Last edited by hyde; 10-21-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM

hyde,

Yes, the link work for me now in FireFox - thanks a lot. But I am getting a bit concerned that Mobile Office doesn't seem to be fully available on Black Berries.

Here is a link to a discussion between people who seem to know their way around recoding: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535777. To be honest, I will not be attempting anything like this myself, but would consider bringing it to someone who has done this before - successfully.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM

Well, "BMW Apps" does not have anything to do with mobile office. I assume you mean e-mails, address book and appointments, since there isn't much else you can do anyway.
According to this video: You can do all those via bluetooth apparently.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Many thanks hyde.

Any idea whether the iPhone snap-in adapter comes w/ the vehicle ONLY if you order the BMW Apps?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0i
Love the video, but so sad it does not work with my iPhone 4S.

2012 X5 5.0i
2008 X5 4.8i
Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSnV1 View Post
Love the video, but so sad it does not work with my iPhone 4S.
You mean it doesn't work at all, not even via Bluetooth without BMW Apps for streaming & phone?

Bubulak, we were allowed to get the snap in without the Apps, so apparently it can be purchased separately. Afterall Blackberry users have no use for BMW Apps.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
You mean it doesn't work at all, not even via Bluetooth without BMW Apps for streaming & phone?

Bubulak, we were allowed to get the snap in without the Apps, so apparently it can be purchased separately. Afterall Blackberry users have no use for BMW Apps.
There's a few issues with ios5. It's not specific to the 4s.

If you don't order apps you can retrofit it ... But not through BMW (at least yet)

Search for Patryk on XBimmers and he can help you.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I have called BMW customer relations line, and they reiterated their policy to me - nothing can be changed once it goes into production. But he had some document in front of him that told him that vehicles produced after April 2011 can get it added / retrofitted, but he didn't really know that that means.

I assume if I didn't order the BMW Apps, my car won't have a BB / iPhone integration?

pb.
No.

Apps provides apps ... Web radio, twitter, Facebook, pandora and mog.

If you dont order apps you don't get those features although see point above about adding it later.

Bluetooth for phone and audio streaming and full USB and iPhone integration is provided by BMW assist and enhanced Bluetooth which I think is now standard .... Right ?
Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 PM

We added BMW Apps during order process, but the dealer said we can get any adapter we want during delivery, the only problem was that he did not mention only iPhone users benefit from BMW Apps.
Before you try retrofitting, please make sure iPod (if that's the route you are planning on taking) will function with Apps. I wonder if iPod can get data from Blackberry (bluetooth) at the same time while it is connected to BMW via USB. This way you can also bypass via iPod to utilize BMW Apps, yet still use data connection from Blackberry.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Hello everyone,

New member here and 1st post. I specifically joined as I have a few questions for each of you. I purchased a 2011 528i over the weekend with Nav/Bluetooth audio/Office and USB in the glovebox. I have an AUX port in the center console. I carry a Blackberry 9650 and enjoyed the questions in this thread. Admittedly, I've only had the vehicle since Saturday, but I'm curious what I'm doing wrong on a few things or quite possibly my car(or bb phone) isn't equipped.

1. I have office in my car and my owners manual shows the following: messages, contacts, calendar and tasks. But my car only gives me messages and contacts and current options. Is this because my blackberry isn't compatible with this car and unable to show my calendar entries and tasks? I'm on a corporate exchange and BES.

2. I hooked up my iPod(older, original) to the aux cable I have in the center console. While it plays via the external aux command, it's not charging the ipod and I have to manually flip the ipod to skip to another song. I would assume the idrive would have given me these commands or at least charged the ipod?

3. I'm streaming music wonderfully via the bluetooth audio command. I'm an internet radio addict and the sound is terrific. So for those of you that we're worried about bb and audio streaming, the sound is great.

4. Lastly, I'm considering moving from my long standing bb platform to an iphone 4s. Am I understanding that none of the office functionality(even the items I'm currently getting/messanges, contacts) doesn't work with the idrive?

Sorry for the long message and multiple questions. Kind regards.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh321 View Post
Hello everyone,

New member here and 1st post. I specifically joined as I have a few questions for each of you. I purchased a 2011 528i over the weekend with Nav/Bluetooth audio/Office and USB in the glovebox. I have an AUX port in the center console. I carry a Blackberry 9650 and enjoyed the questions in this thread. Admittedly, I've only had the vehicle since Saturday, but I'm curious what I'm doing wrong on a few things or quite possibly my car(or bb phone) isn't equipped.

1. I have office in my car and my owners manual shows the following: messages, contacts, calendar and tasks. But my car only gives me messages and contacts and current options. Is this because my blackberry isn't compatible with this car and unable to show my calendar entries and tasks? I'm on a corporate exchange and BES.

2. I hooked up my iPod(older, original) to the aux cable I have in the center console. While it plays via the external aux command, it's not charging the ipod and I have to manually flip the ipod to skip to another song. I would assume the idrive would have given me these commands or at least charged the ipod?

3. I'm streaming music wonderfully via the bluetooth audio command. I'm an internet radio addict and the sound is terrific. So for those of you that we're worried about bb and audio streaming, the sound is great.

4. Lastly, I'm considering moving from my long standing bb platform to an iphone 4s. Am I understanding that none of the office functionality(even the items I'm currently getting/messanges, contacts) doesn't work with the idrive?

Sorry for the long message and multiple questions. Kind regards.
1. Your bb handset may require updated software or the handset itself is not compatible with all office features. You can check device compatibility on bmws website

2. Sounds like you have a old iPod. Apple changed the pinouts on older iPods. Think there's a special 3 wire cable for those devices. Uses the cigarette lighter socket for power. You're be able to control the device and have full visibility into the collection via idrive.

4 you're get contacts and calendar with iPhone - currently.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Many thanks for the quick replay APW. My ipod is the original from way back, so it's interesting things are different now. I have a couple of years old iPod touch that I purchased for my home dock and surround sound. Do you think those pins are what you refer to as probably compatible with the 528 controls now?

Even more interesting is the iPhone only allows contacts and calendar entries. In the very short time I've had my 5 series, I've become hooked on the office and message capability. Is this an apple blocking issue??? And if so, any idea on why they don't allow messages to translate thru bmw office?

I would think I could fast forward with controls on my steering wheel instead of having to hit the forward button on the dash, but the scroll button only shows the songs. Am I missing something?

Apologies in advance for all of the newb questions.