Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
Profile questions

1. I'm driving and I make a minor seat or mirror adjustment. Is that automatically saved to my profile (my profile is engaged already as I'm driving). Or do I have to do something to save it to my profile?

2. In my 328i (with convenience/comfort access), the car senses who opens the drivers door (with whose key in the pocket) -- without any unlocking -- and adjusts accordingly (seat moves, mirrors move, etc); radio settings for driver. With the X3 (also with convenience access/comfort access), do you have to hit the unlock button on the remote or manually choose a profile in idrive to change it to the next driver who gets in? Or does it auto sense it (based on the key in pocket) like in my 328i? I've tested this, but it does't seem to work in the x3.

In other words, do you have to do anything manually so that the car moves seat, mirrors and other settings for new driver? Assume idrive is set with settings to auto move seats, etc. for each driver.

By the way, all of the above assume the car is not locked. When we park in our garage at home, we don't lock.

3. I'm driving with my profile and pull up to valet or service person. Do I set the profile to "guest" with engine running? If the valet later locks the car and opens with my key (assume I do not give valet key), doesn't it revert back to my profile? How does it stay at guest profile, so valet doesn't mess up my profile (if valet moves seat and stuff)?

Is there some othe better way to handle this valet situation?

Last edited by caesarp; 10-16-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-16-2011, 09:37 AM

44 views? So nobody here knows how this stuff works?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 LCI M5 September del
If I am driving my 550i M Sport ( which should be the same software as yours 2011) and I make an adjustment, if I want that adjustment to be "Permanent" I have to activate the memory on the drivers door and press the appropriate button, from then on it will update the KEY you are using. I hope this helps. Once you give the car to anyone and they alter seats ect, when you get back in just press the button in the door that has your settings and hold it in till it stops adjusting things including the mirrors.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
If I am driving my 550i M Sport ( which should be the same software as yours 2011) and I make an adjustment, if I want that adjustment to be "Permanent" I have to activate the memory on the drivers door and press the appropriate button, from then on it will update the KEY you are using. I hope this helps. Once you give the car to anyone and they alter seats ect, when you get back in just press the button in the door that has your settings and hold it in till it stops adjusting things including the mirrors.
This is a 2012 X3. It has a new feature in iDrive called "profiles". That is what I'm talking about.

I am not talking about the memory buttons on the seats.

There are 3 profiles that you can name, and a "guest" profile.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
This is a 2012 X3. It has a new feature in iDrive called "profiles". That is what I'm talking about.

I am not talking about the memory buttons on the seats.

There are 3 profiles that you can name, and a "guest" profile.
I have these also, never even needed them, two of us drive we have two keys with our settings on them, end of story, who needs profiles there are only two keys and if two people only use the car you don't need any profiles.
The on board manual should tell you how to set up the memories in the profiles.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I have these also, never even needed them, two of us drive we have two keys with our settings on them, end of story, who needs profiles there are only two keys and if two people only use the car you don't need any profiles.
The on board manual should tell you how to set up the memories in the profiles.
Aarghh. I have a manual, and I acually read the manual. I asked specific questions that are not covered by the manual (particularly the operation of the "guest" profile). The manual is vague about alot of these features.

I'm not concerned with "how to set up the memories in the profiles". I'm concerned with the operation of these features in the real world and dealing with valets, etc.

For example, you turn over your key to a valet -- now what. They could easily change settings affecting the profile for the key.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Aarghh. I have a manual, and I acually read the manual. I asked specific questions that are not covered by the manual (particularly the operation of the "guest" profile). The manual is vague about alot of these features.

I'm not concerned with "how to set up the memories in the profiles". I'm concerned with the operation of these features in the real world and dealing with valets, etc.

For example, you turn over your key to a valet -- now what. They could easily change settings affecting the profile for the key.
No they will not, they will just adjust or may not the seating position and or mirrors, this should not adjust your saved profiles.
Just get in it and move things around, get out lock it and then get back in and see what it does.
The only way to "edit" profiles is to go into profiles to change them.

Last edited by johnbmw6; 10-16-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
No they will not, they will just adjust or may not the seating position and or mirrors, this should not adjust your saved profiles.
Just get in it and move things around, get out lock it and then get back in and see what it does.
The only way to "edit" profiles is to go into profiles to change them.
I don't mean to be rude, but I think your understanding of profiles (as they operate in a 2012 X3) and the connection with keys is not correct.

As I understand it, by unlocking the car (or opening the door, with comfort access), the profile associated with my key is activated. In fact, I verified this by viewing the profile that now had a check mark next to it, when using either my key or my wife's key.

Accordingly, when I am driving, if I change the mirrors or move the seat (or add pre-sets to the radio, or change the temperature setting) -- all of those things are automatically saved to my profile (and thus associated with my key).

Thus, if I give my key to another person, such as a valet, and they proceed to unlock the car with my key, drive it and make changes to various things (such as the seat and side mirrors), would not the changes they make now become associated with my key (and thus my profile)?

Look at the 1st question -- question NO. 1 in my first post in this thread. Otherwise, how do changes get saved to your profile?

Last edited by caesarp; 10-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but I think your understanding of profiles (as they operate in a 2012 X3) and the connection with keys is not correct.

As I understand it, by unlocking the car (or opening the door, with comfort access), the profile associated with my key is activated. In fact, I verified this by viewing the profile that now had a check mark next to it, when using either my key or my wife's key.

Accordingly, when I am driving, if I change the mirrors or move the seat (or add pre-sets to the radio, or change the temperature setting) -- all of those things are automatically saved to my profile (and thus associated with my key).

Thus, if I give my key to another person, such as a valet, and they proceed to unlock the car with my key, drive it and make changes to various things (such as the seat and side mirrors), would not the changes they make now become associated with my key (and thus my profile)?

Look at the 1st question -- question NO. 1 in my first post in this thread. Otherwise, how do changes get saved to your profile?
A Quote from your manual, "some functions of the vehicle can be adjusted to YOUR needs,settings are saved AUTOMATICALLY in the activated profile".Therefore by entering >settings>Profiles>Options>call up "Guest" and use that for your unknown driver.
or do NOT sellect a profile. Does this make sense?.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 3.5, 2004 330CiC
JohnBMW6 has it right. It won't change your profile unless you save it to the seat's memory, which will then update the active profile.

BTW, I thoroughly agree, the manual is poorly written, vague, and not at all easy to figure stuff out. I had to read, re-read, and then hack around for an hour before I got my profile to where I more or less want it, and there's still more to do.

I have found threads on various topics here to me more useful/informative than teh blinking manual . . .
Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM2W View Post
JohnBMW6 has it right. It won't change your profile unless you save it to the seat's memory, which will then update the active profile.

BTW, I thoroughly agree, the manual is poorly written, vague, and not at all easy to figure stuff out. I had to read, re-read, and then hack around for an hour before I got my profile to where I more or less want it, and there's still more to do.

I have found threads on various topics here to me more useful/informative than teh blinking manual . . .
What won't change your profile?

If I am driving (under my profile -- checkmark next to my profile) and I add a preset, or change a programmable memory key, the next time I get in the car, those changes are still part of my profile -- and I never touched the memory button on the seat.

I think the memory button on the seat is for mirror and seat position, but does not necessarily change other stuff (like last radio station; termp settings, etc.).
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 3.5, 2004 330CiC
If I read the book correctly, the seat's memory button only registers the new seat position in the porfile. If you change other things contained in the profile (pg 32-33) via iDrive, if automatically updates the profile. Not real intuitive, eh?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
What won't change your profile?

If I am driving (under my profile -- checkmark next to my profile) and I add a preset, or change a programmable memory key, the next time I get in the car, those changes are still part of my profile -- and I never touched the memory button on the seat.

I think the memory button on the seat is for mirror and seat position, but does not necessarily change other stuff (like last radio station; termp settings, etc.).
Because you have your profile SELECTED. If you de-select it, it will still be on your key when you get into the car. NO changes can be made to it what ever people do.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Because you have your profile SELECTED. If you de-select it, it will still be on your key when you get into the car. NO changes can be made to it what ever people do.
So, when pulling up to a valet (or dropping car off for service) you should:

1. engage "guest" profile (with the engine still on)

2. Hand your key to valet

3. If valet or service person then turns off car and locks with my key and then unlocks and restarts car with my key-- it will still be on "guest" profile (since that was last associated with my key). Car does not return to my profile, unless manually selected in iDrive.

4. When receive car back from valet, engage your own profile (car should return to all of your previous settings and any valet changes made would have only affected the "guest" profile).

Right?

Last edited by caesarp; 10-25-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
so, when pulling up to a valet (or dropping car off for service) you should:

1. Engage "guest" profile (with the engine still on)

2. Hand your key to valet

3. If valet or service person then turns off car and locks with my key and then unlocks and restarts car with my key-- it will still be on "guest" profile (since that was last associated with my key). Car does not return to my profile, unless manually selected in idrive.

4. When receive car back from valet, engage your own profile (car should return to all of your previous settings and any valet changes made would have only affected the "guest" profile).

Right?
yes
Old 10-26-2011, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0 & 2008 750Li
I have 4 keys for my 2011 X3, maybe I can answer the question. Only two keys are linked to the the profiles. Make sure only the key you want to program is in the car at a time. Press the red memory button, press the 1 or 2. Then, go to the profiles (idrive) and backup the settings there. Save it to a memory stick too (just in case). Now it gets a little hairy.
When my wife and I both have our keys, the car sets it self to the key of the person who unlocks the car. Two different parking lots have my other two keys. Even if they screw up the settings, my key, which I keep with me, re-sets everything to the way it should be.

If you give your key to the valet and they press the red program button and then reprogram the memory button, of course they will ruin the settings. HOWEVER, you can go back to the idrive and bring back your profile. They seem to be independent of each other. At least this is my experience.

The valets keep shutting off my side view mirror tilt, which id not a programable option. That annoys the crap out of me.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee1 View Post
I have 4 keys for my 2011 X3, maybe I can answer the question. Only two keys are linked to the the profiles. Make sure only the key you want to program is in the car at a time. Press the red memory button, press the 1 or 2. Then, go to the profiles (idrive) and backup the settings there. Save it to a memory stick too (just in case). Now it gets a little hairy.
When my wife and I both have our keys, the car sets it self to the key of the person who unlocks the car. Two different parking lots have my other two keys. Even if they screw up the settings, my key, which I keep with me, re-sets everything to the way it should be.

If you give your key to the valet and they press the red program button and then reprogram the memory button, of course they will ruin the settings. HOWEVER, you can go back to the idrive and bring back your profile. They seem to be independent of each other. At least this is my experience.

The valets keep shutting off my side view mirror tilt, which id not a programable option. That annoys the crap out of me.
My 2012 X3 came with 2 keys. I don't believe pressing the red button on the seat programs all of the settings for a key. I believe the profile setting in iDrive does that. The seat red button only effects a few items (like mirror and seat position).

I do not think that the red button = profile.