Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Last time m3 vs135i

So long story short. I've been working since I was 16 and have saved up enough money to help my dad with a lease. I'm 20 years old and have driven an a4 for the past 4 years.*
As my lease is about to end I have ha my sights set on a 135i loaded with the lease =ing $570 a month. I can pay 300 of that each month for 3 years.*
But then my dad told me, if I plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, I should get an m3. My family has the means to pay the $930 lease a month and I would be paying $400 a month if I got the m3

My question is to all you devoted bimmer fans, is it wrong for a 20 yr old to get an m3 car? I feel like it is a car you should work years for and I mean I have save up money which is rare for a 16-20 but still? Will I have to deal with haters and jealous kids/adults saying who is this kid with an m3 not knowing I'm paying for almost half the lease?

Comments please and this isn't a troll topic or anything. I'm just in-between getting a beautiful car ( that I would literally keep till I die) now or waiting till I'm older and have the pleasure of saying, I bought this m3 on my own. Thanks.*
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i
to be honest, if you're willing to spend the money on the car, then go ahead, nobody is gunna say OMG HES 20 YEARS OLD HE CANT OWN THAT CAR...
im 18 and i work my ass off too and i drive a 540i, not an m3 or 135i, but still a nice car. You can do whatever you want, its you're money at the end of the day
Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011.5 E90 ZCP ///M3
Sounds like your parents are teaching you financial responsibility.
2013 Cayenne S (SOLD)
2010 G37x (Lease Returned)
2011.5 ///M3 Sedan (ED 3/18/11) (SOLD)
2008 335i Sedan (SOLD)
2007 GTI (SOLD)
2006 RSX (SOLD)
1995 Civic (SOLD)
1994 Jetta RIP
Old 10-17-2011, 03:02 PM
left lane driver

Mein Auto: e92 m3
Buy the m3. Im 23 and have had 5 bmw (e46, e60, two e63, now e92 m) and 1 merc amg. Im just trying to relate to you. I bought them all from hard work too. Nothing feels better than working hard to truly earn a small piece of Bavaria. If people hate, let em, Floss it daily and enjoy it. You won't regret it.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 335
"wrong" is subjective and values based. with that said, it's a car, which you are thinking about leasing, which won't be yours for longer than the lease term (presumably), so how does that factor versus putting your $400/mo towards retirement or education, and using the parent's difference on something that is within the $530/mo? You shouldn't be going into a lease with the anticipation of buying at term, so i'm not sure what your dad is saying. I would disagree with bkmk5 about your parents teaching you financial responsibility, because nothing about this says anything about financial responsibility. I'm also not sure why you are asking about other people's impressions of you for leasing or buying an M3 or any other car. It seems you are in fact wanting to buy the car for that reason, not for the sake of buying the car for your own reasons. If you are worrying about what others think of you and your car, then you are buying for the wrong reasons. It shouldn't matter. When I was at the bmw dealership this past summer, I saw an 18 yr old kid get a brand new M5 which his parents paid for in cash in full, then a month later trade it in for an M3 shadow line trim. it's value judgement, so you have to determine for yourself, not what others think you should or should have or get. If you are asking this question, seems you shouldn't be doing anything.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011.5 E90 ZCP ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
"wrong" is subjective and values based. with that said, it's a car, which you are thinking about leasing, which won't be yours for longer than the lease term (presumably), so how does that factor versus putting your $400/mo towards retirement or education, and using the parent's difference on something that is within the $530/mo? You shouldn't be going into a lease with the anticipation of buying at term, so i'm not sure what your dad is saying. I would disagree with bkmk5 about your parents teaching you financial responsibility, because nothing about this says anything about financial responsibility. I'm also not sure why you are asking about other people's impressions of you for leasing or buying an M3 or any other car. It seems you are in fact wanting to buy the car for that reason, not for the sake of buying the car for your own reasons. If you are worrying about what others think of you and your car, then you are buying for the wrong reasons. It shouldn't matter. When I was at the bmw dealership this past summer, I saw an 18 yr old kid get a brand new M5 which his parents paid for in cash in full, then a month later trade it in for an M3 shadow line trim. it's value judgement, so you have to determine for yourself, not what others think you should or should have or get. If you are asking this question, seems you shouldn't be doing anything.
*Sarcasm*

+1
2013 Cayenne S (SOLD)
2010 G37x (Lease Returned)
2011.5 ///M3 Sedan (ED 3/18/11) (SOLD)
2008 335i Sedan (SOLD)
2007 GTI (SOLD)
2006 RSX (SOLD)
1995 Civic (SOLD)
1994 Jetta RIP
Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicname View Post
So long story short. I've been working since I was 16 and have saved up enough money to help my dad with a lease. I'm 20 years old and have driven an a4 for the past 4 years.*
As my lease is about to end I have ha my sights set on a 135i loaded with the lease =ing $570 a month. I can pay 300 of that each month for 3 years.*
But then my dad told me, if I plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, I should get an m3. My family has the means to pay the $930 lease a month and I would be paying $400 a month if I got the m3

My question is to all you devoted bimmer fans, is it wrong for a 20 yr old to get an m3 car? I feel like it is a car you should work years for and I mean I have save up money which is rare for a 16-20 but still? Will I have to deal with haters and jealous kids/adults saying who is this kid with an m3 not knowing I'm paying for almost half the lease?

Comments please and this isn't a troll topic or anything. I'm just in-between getting a beautiful car ( that I would literally keep till I die) now or waiting till I'm older and have the pleasure of saying, I bought this m3 on my own. Thanks.*
I can't say I've been in the same situation, but I've owned 3 BMW's, bought a new house, etc., etc., before 25. My parents had nothing to do with any of it - and I've been given a hard time, perceived as "rich kid", etc - but people that know me also know my parents (who couldn't afford it in the first place) wouldn't give me the money to begin with.

A little advice: Are you going to be able to afford the car after the lease us up without your parents?

If your parents can give you the car, more power to them. But paying for half the lease isn't paying for it all - at the end of the lease, you'll be 23-24 - are you still going to rely on your parents for a car? Plan on owning your own place? Just asking a few rhetorical questions here. I love owning nice cars - but I sold my nearly brand new 350Z years ago to buy a house - something that would be unheard of for someone 20 years old to do - but it was a much smarter decision than spending so much money just to own a nice car. Keep in mind the cost of ownership as well. You might ask how much longer your parents plan to continue to support you - and should you decide to settle down, get married, etc..

Like I said - I love owning nice cars - Just think about your long term strategy, and financial dependency, etc. All things to think about before committing to a car that you, by your own means, cannot afford.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)

Last edited by 335i; 10-17-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:42 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Do neither. Put your money in the stock market, let SOMEONE ELSE enjoy turning it into half the money it would have been had you just buried it in mason jars out back, and three years later still have your same POS and half the money!

:-)

J/K of course.

Given what you said, for only $100 month increment, I'd get an M3. Either car is way, stupid fast, and if anything the 135i power is more accessible every day, every way.

Have you driven them both?
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
If you're not getting a convertible and don't need the larger back seat, why don't you get the 1M? It's cheaper and probably more fun to drive than the M3.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalthought View Post
If you're not getting a convertible and don't need the larger back seat, why don't you get the 1M? It's cheaper and probably more fun to drive than the M3.
im unsure about the exact number but they only produced i think 2600? 1m coupes. Trust me. If i could get one i would but i would have to pay $15-20k over the sticker price for it which equals an m3
Old 10-23-2011, 05:34 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
1M = 135 = 335. FINE car, but in no way "special".

Get an M3 if you can, while they are still special.

Forced induction is the END of special engines from BMW.

What, exactly, is the difference between a CTS-V and a turbo M3/M5, other than price? They're all just the sound of vacuum cleaners sucking down the road.

Apparently engine aficionados will have to migrate to Porsche ...
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.