Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05Accord Cpe,'07Wrangler
Show us your 2012 GT's

Please show us your 2012 GT's. I know at 1stBimmer and Wardman should have theirs soon

ED 01/20/2012: 2012 750i ActiveHybrid | Deep Sea Blue with Saddle and Black Nappa leather | Driver Assistance Package

Read my ED Trip report here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595402
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix GT M-Sport ED
I'm doing my ED on November 17!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
Can't wait.

The car is on the delivery floor. Can hardly wait to go downstairs !! The welt is an amazing place, btw.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:16 AM

Iwantone, this one is for you!

Here's the picture, 2012 550i GT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00383.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	297603  
Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 AM

More pics. BTW, the car has the (Dreaded) Goodyear all seasons. We'll see how they fare.

The car's lines are so complex that pictures don't do it justice. The GT looks SO much better in person. Btw, I just saw the 1 series and experienced the same thing, the 'nose' looks a lot better in person. I think it's how BMW design plays with depth, which is completely lost in a picture...

Now on to the Museum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00381.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	297604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00383.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	297605   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00391.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	297606   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00384.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	297607  
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STBimmer View Post
Here's the picture, 2012 550i GT
Thanks..thats awesome

ED 01/20/2012: 2012 750i ActiveHybrid | Deep Sea Blue with Saddle and Black Nappa leather | Driver Assistance Package

Read my ED Trip report here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595402
Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
More pics. BTW, the car has the (Dreaded) Goodyear all seasons. We'll see how they fare.

The car's lines are so complex that pictures don't do it justice. The GT looks SO much better in person. Btw, I just saw the 1 series and experienced the same thing, the 'nose' looks a lot better in person. I think it's how BMW design plays with depth, which is completely lost in a picture...

Now on to the Museum.

The color looks great in the sun. Also noticed that the steering doesn't have the "M" on it..Thought he M-Sport had that. Am guessing the sport exhaust is not installed and will be installed stateside. Rt?

Looking forward to more pictures from your ED.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Congrats on your new GT!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Congrats on your new GT!

Quote:

Now on to the Museum.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantone View Post
The color looks great in the sun. Also noticed that the steering doesn't have the "M" on it..Thought he M-Sport had that. Am guessing the sport exhaust is not installed and will be installed stateside. Rt?

Looking forward to more pictures from your ED.
I was surprised by that, I was expecting the //M door sills and steering wheel. Apparently not the case..not sure why. I'll check the bmwusa website and ask my CA. And apparently the sport exhaust is installed...this thing has a grunt the normal gt's I test drove didn't. I'll be able to tell for sure when I take redelivery.

I'll post more pics later, just got to Innsbruck after driving to fussen.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I was surprised by that, I was expecting the //M door sills and steering wheel. Apparently not the case..not sure why. I'll check the bmwusa website and ask my CA. And apparently the sport exhaust is installed...this thing has a grunt the normal gt's I test drove didn't. I'll be able to tell for sure when I take redelivery.

I'll post more pics later, just got to Innsbruck after driving to fussen.
Do you see any difference between the steering wheel you have and a regular sport steering? The BMWUSA site says M-Sport package includes "M Steering Wheel" and shows the below picture in the "build your own..." interior pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M_Steering.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	297662  

Old 10-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Do you see any difference between the steering wheel you have and a regular sport steering? The BMWUSA site says M-Sport package includes "M Steering Wheel" and shows the below picture in the "build your own..." interior pics
Mine has the black trim piece (m-sport) instead of the brushed aluminum (reg. Sport), other than that I think they're both the same.

I was looking forward for the sills with the //m but oh well. I think these may be early production issues that'll be sorted out by the time yours is built.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
Very nice!

Is that Imperial Blue and Gray interior. That was my neck and neck choice when ordering vs Space Gray and Black.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Very nice!

Is that Imperial Blue and Gray interior. That was my neck and neck choice when ordering vs Space Gray and Black.
Thats a carbon black with black leather....M-Sport..clone of mine

Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Wow!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM

M-Sport package from BMW.COM

The M Sport package for the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo.
Sporty performance and sporty appearance. Exclusive M aerodynamic components, M light-alloy wheels and the BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line isn't everything the M Sport package has to offer. The interior is improved by the addition of sport seats for the driver and front passenger, elegant interior trim in Palladium Grey and the BMW Individual roof liner Anthracite. The leather steering wheel, the M footrests as well as the M door sill finishers with chrome inserts
and BMW M emblem round off the sporty and high-quality character of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo.

and a link

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...tspackage.html

Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Mine's officially on the truck to the dealer. A few final touches like tinting and getting the serial numbers for my tire warranty, and I should be on the road by end of next week.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Mine's officially on the truck to the dealer. A few final touches like tinting and getting the serial numbers for my tire warranty, and I should be on the road by end of next week.
Awesome..dont forget to post some pics..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:

Now on to the Museum.

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM

At the castle...

Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
M-Sport package from BMW.COM

The M Sport package for the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo.
Sporty performance and sporty appearance. Exclusive M aerodynamic components, M light-alloy wheels and the BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line isn't everything the M Sport package has to offer. The interior is improved by the addition of sport seats for the driver and front passenger, elegant interior trim in Palladium Grey and the BMW Individual roof liner Anthracite. The leather steering wheel, the M footrests as well as the M door sill finishers with chrome inserts
and BMW M emblem round off the sporty and high-quality character of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo.

and a link

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...tspackage.html
All very nice sporty enhancements - what's not to like?

Well....since I raised the question....nothing....but I would ask BMW to consider adding a
few further additions/refinements.

In the past year, I have come to the realization that the 550i GT is an exceptional product that offers effortless luxurious cruising, but also spirited engaging performance in challenging mountainous settings. I think there are a couple easy additions BMW could make that would go a long way to enhance the "gran turismo" DNA of the GT, that I am surprised, are not apart of the "M" Sport pack.

1- Performance exhaust - the current exhaust lacks a pulse - pure 7 series. A friend of mine owns a Maserati GT that has an exhaust note that is reason alone to purchase the car. The BMW Twin Turbo V8 is such an incredibly sweet engine but the aural experience is jus' missing....like eating a gourmet hot dog without the spicy mustard...it's good but bland.

2. Paddle shifters - their presence would be a statement that the GT is car that is not only capable, but meant to be enjoyed for it's prowess. The V8 is so incredibly flexible and the 8 speed shifts like butter - but there have been more than a few times, when driving in the mountains or on some challenging stretch, that the center console shifter has proved awkward.

Lastly, I was taken aback, when I went to the BMWUSA site, and built out a new GT. I was surprised that the M Sport Pack comes only with 19" wheels. If this is true, this might be sufficient reason to forgo the M Sport Pack, and instead opt for the regular sport pack that offers 20 inch wheels as an option. The GT is visually massive and sports robust athletic styling that IMO requires 20 inch wheels to complete the picture. The bold styling details of the GT and 20 inch wheels work in concert to impart to the GT serious road presence.

BTW I am not necessarily a fan of large wheels in general but I think they are one of the essential elements that serves to transform the 5GT from luxury hatchback to Gran Turismo Redefined. Obviously, BMW does not agree with my appraisal.

In the end, there are really no bad choices - the GT is a flexible platform that can appeal to diverse needs and desires exceptionally well.

Last edited by Capobranco; 10-19-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
At the castle...

FANTASTIC!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 PM

My comments below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
All very nice sporty enhancements - what's not to like?

Well, the M-Sport is good. I was just pointing out the different components of the package as 1stbimmer did not have the //M on the steering and the M door sill finishers. If I am paying for the M-Sport, I want to make sure I get all of it

Well....since I raised the question....nothing....but I would ask BMW to consider adding a
few further additions/refinements.

In the past year, I have come to the realization that the 550i GT is an exceptional product that offers effortless luxurious cruising, but also spirited engaging performance in challenging mountainous settings. I think there are a couple easy additions BMW could make that would go a long way to enhance the "gran turismo" DNA of the GT, that I am surprised are not apart of the "M" Sport pack.

1- Performance exhaust - the current exhaust lacks a pulse - pure 7 series. A friend of mine owns a Maserati GT that has an exhaust note that is reason alone to purchase the car. The BMW Twin Turbo V8 is such an incredibly sweet engine but the aural experience is jus' missing....like eating a gourmet hot dog without the spicy mustard...it's good but bland.

The ordering guide for the 2012 GT shows that a Sport exhaust is included with the M-Sport package for the 550

2. Paddle shifters - their presence would be a statement that the GT is car that is not only capable, but meant to be enjoyed for it's prowess. The V8 is so incredibly flexible and the 8 speed shifts like butter - but there have been more than a few times, when driving in the mountains or on some challenging stretch, that the center console shifter has proved awkward.

I agree that paddle shifters would be a nice touch..

Lastly, I was taken aback, when I went to the BMWUSA site, and built out a new GT. I was surprised that the M Sport Pack comes only with 19" wheels. If this is true, this might be sufficient reason to forgo the M Sport Pack, and instead opt for the regular sport pack that offers 20 inch wheels as an option. The GT is visually massive and sports robust athletic styling that IMO requires 20 inch wheels to complete the picture. The bold styling details of the GT and 20 inch wheels work in concert to impart to the GT serious road presence.

BTW I am not necessarily a fan of large wheels in general but I think they are one of the essential elements that serves to transform the 5GT from luxury hatchback to Gran Turismo Redefined. Obviously, BMW does not necessarily agree with my appraisal.

Am not sure when you last checked out BMWUSA, but it now has the 2012 configurator and the M-Sport has an option of 20's

In the end, there are really no bad choices - the GT is a flexible platform that can appeal to diverse needs and desires exceptionally well.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
My comments below...
...two out of three - not bad...make my M Sport in Carbon Black!

Last edited by Capobranco; 10-19-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM

I'll try to record the sound of the GT exhaust, this one sounds different than the ones I drove before. Maybe tomorrow.