Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-08-2015, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330 Xi
Unhappy Hi, I am new to the forums and could use some help

I have a 2001 330 Xi, I was driving this morning and heard a belt squealing so I headed home, as I was pulling onto my street I heard what sounded like gravel hitting the underside of the engine then as I was pulling up to the curb across the street the service engine soon light came on briefly , I lost power steering and my car stalled . I checked under the hood and there is a belt wrapped around my fan and the fan is loose. It seeks like a thin belt though not a wide one. I am scared to start the car so it will stay parked in front of my neighbors house. What happened to my baby?
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2015, 06:27 AM

There was also a trail of what looked like water where I drove down the street, could possibly be coolant.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:40 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x2,E30x1, F150
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

I moved your question to the E46 forum (your car is an E46).

Don't drive your car again until the belt, etc. is fixed! It sounds like the belt broke and ruined the water pump, and maybe the fan clutch/fan.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 & New Member Intro Forum Mod/Bimmerfest Tow Truck
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old 08-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Thumbs down

Unfortunately I have a bad update . My ex with whom I live moved my car while I was at work to put it in the driveway and made it worse. Now the wider belt that is there is also broken and there is what looks like power steering/transmission fluid on top of the engine. I told him not to move it, that it would be fine but he moved it anyway. I am not sure if I will be able to fix it now.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
What color is the "water"? Is it coolant? Could be your water pump failed. Not uncommon for them to fail with kind of drama you are experiencing after 60-90k miles.

Regardless, don't drive the car. Not sure how anyone here could diagnose actual problem without being at the car or having relevant pictures posted.
Please update with outcome.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 PM

I am just a "Girl" and have never had a BMW before this, I can go and take some pictures with my phone real quick and post but I am 100% positive he did lots of damage when he moved it. I would have been more than happy to call AAA to put it on a flatbed to move it the 100 feet to the driveway. But now it is a lot louder and stuff. I love my BMW and am angry that he drove it into the driveway because now I am not sure how I will manage to fix it.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
I don't know what you expect. I gave you suggestions and asked question but you come back with I'm just a girl?? Your response is not providing any more details to help anyone pinpoint what might be wrong with the car.

It sounds like you need to take it to a BMW repairer. Look up shops at bimmershops.com then cross check yelp for reviews but keep in mind that some reviews might be negative due to wok they do.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Have it towed to a quality shop that specializes in BMWs. The repairs will not be cheap, but if it did not overheat you are looking at replacing a bunch of bolt on parts.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by XheatherrX View Post
but I am 100% positive he did lots of damage when he moved it.
Trust me, lots of damage was done before he moved it!
The car really messed up because there was not the proper preventative maintainance done to your car.
You can't buy a BMW as old as this without learning details about how to take care of it.

What happened to your car is what we here all work very hard to prevent.