Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Lightbulb M3 E46>E9x owners?

Just curious; exploring possibility I never considerd?
As to getting a 2nd M3, something different than the E92.
What about an E46 vert,(or coupe?).
The NA I6...better gas mi., still fun hi-revving engine & still M reliabilty and better "parts".
Never had the E46 M. Had the E46 325i, loved it...great gas mi., nice smooth NA and trouble free.
What do you think?
How many of you owned the E46 M and how did it compare?
I know, rougher ride due to less suspension tweak-ability, less technology, but such are sports cars ( or sport coupes), but less electronics & tech also means less that goes wrong too?

Considering the price they can be had for...and 16-23 mpg, might be a fun car.
Response from owners of both would be great.
I know that the E9x is a better car overall, but if you can be objective as to the E46...BEFORE the E9x existed, how was it to DRIVE & OWN?
THANKS!
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2011, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 coupe
I have a 2004 M3 convertible SMG and a 2011 M3 coupe 6MT. I always thought I would keep the E46M3 "forever" but I have to say that the E92M3 is getting more love now. The E46 is more of a sports car with racy ride and handling for sure. The E92 is more of a GT that can be pushed hard when you want but is a more civilized daily driver. Maybe it's just my age but I think the E92 is a better compromise of performance and luxury. Having said that, I think I will hold on to the E46 for many more years as it is still rock solid. Only needed to replace rear bushings and regular maintenance otherwise. Besides my kids think the E46 is better looking of the two and I think I agree with them. I think the lines on that car are perfect.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsleemd View Post
I have a 2004 M3 convertible SMG and a 2011 M3 coupe 6MT. I always thought I would keep the E46M3 "forever" but I have to say that the E92M3 is getting more love now. The E46 is more of a sports car with racy ride and handling for sure. The E92 is more of a GT that can be pushed hard when you want but is a more civilized daily driver. Maybe it's just my age but I think the E92 is a better compromise of performance and luxury. Having said that, I think I will hold on to the E46 for many more years as it is still rock solid. Only needed to replace rear bushings and regular maintenance otherwise. Besides my kids think the E46 is better looking of the two and I think I agree with them. I think the lines on that car are perfect.
thanks...just drove a 2005 M3 comp/pkg. ....more fun than the E9x and more the size I like for BMW, looked great too, very classy and I understand that the same guy who designed the Porsche Cayman , designed the E46.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
I had a 2005 E46 M3, thought it was an amazing car for the time. Had a 2008 E92 M3 and now updating to the 2012 M3 (I have a huge bias toward new cars)

The E92 M3 I think looks more updated, and E46s now look a bit dated. Drive wise they are both comparable at road speeds in terms of acceleration and handling, but I think when you get to the really high RPMs the E92 is a beast that the E46 can't compare with. Also, with the E46 you may deal with a lot of repair bills since they are getting to be 5+ years old.

Ride wise even though I love stiff suspensions, I think it is amazing that we can push a button on the E92 M3 and completely change it's personality. The E46 is a bit stiff for NYC roads but amazing on the highway.

Interior - I've been told my E92 looked like a fighter jet (by an 8yo but hey). Interior on E46 is very ho-hum. Technologically the E92 has way more options, as would be expected with 5+ years of advancement of technology.

Overall impression: E46 is a great fun toy. If yo can easily afford the E92, then I would take it any day of the week.