BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Silver Gray 330i ZHP (you know you want to)

33K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  epc 
#1 ·
Wooo! Okay, so I know some people are getting tired of seeing Silver Gray and Silver Gray ZHPs, but to those people I say you can't get enough. :p

I took delivery Thursday night after ordering mid-January. As others have reported, this car is a blast. I'm not fully comfortable with the drive yet, ending a 4-year hiatus from a stick and being hyper-sensitive to anything that might harm my baby. :eeps: Still, I can't wait to work on my shifting skills and break the car in.

I ordered a relative stripper, opting for just xenons, PDC, and the aux audio jack. The latter combined with the flashlight power adapter works great with an MP3 player and inline remote (see iRiver).

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll post more pictures later after washing and applying Zaino.

Also, thanks to everyone at Bimmerfest for all the helpful advice and wisdom! I worked out a fair deal for the car and got exactly what I wanted, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole process. I love this car!
:drive:

Attachments

#3 ·
FenPhen said:
...some people are getting tired of seeing Silver Gray
I NEVER get tired of seeing SG. :)

Beautiful car! :thumbup:

Now that you made it through your torturous delivery wait, you just have to get through the break-in period. At least there's no restriction on how to push those Pilots, and from the pictures you posted I'd guess there's no shortage of fun roads where you live!

Alex

#4 ·
BahnBaum said:
I NEVER get tired of seeing SG. :)

Beautiful car! :thumbup:

Now that you made it through your torturous delivery wait, you just have to get through the break-in period. At least there's no restriction on how to push those Pilots, and from the pictures you posted I'd guess there's no shortage of fun roads where you live!

Alex
Nice, Silver Grey was my second choice. :thumbup:

#5 ·
BahnBaum said:
At least there's no restriction on how to push those Pilots
How did you recognize the Pilots? :)

(Actually, I believe the recommended break-in procedure in the manual mentioned the tires, but I forgot how many hundreds of miles it said before the tread wears enough to be fully effective.)

#9 ·
Very nice ride!

Are we the only two people with SG ZHP and still have the amber indicators?

I tried the "clear" look on the front corners and markers, even got the silvervisions. I kept staring at the clears expecting to like them but in the end did not. I went back to the OEM ambers and I like them a lot better. For some reason with the SG I just think it looks better (amber vs. clear.)

#11 ·
wingspan said:

I tried the "clear" look on the front corners and markers, even got the silvervisions. I kept staring at the clears expecting to like them but in the end did not. I went back to the OEM ambers and I like them a lot better. For some reason with the SG I just think it looks better (amber vs. clear.)
Well, I've only had the car a few days, but I think I'll probably leave in the stock ambers. :)

For a long time, I thought I'd get clears, but I'm pretty sure I'm off of that now. I definitely like ambers up front. I was thinking clear side markers like on the E39, but now that I've looked closer at the E46 side marker, it looks pretty cool and want to let it stand out. If the rear markers were like the coupes, I'd definitely want clears then, but I think with the '02+ stripe configuration, I'm not sure if I like red-clear-red.

#13 ·
wingspan said:
Very nice ride!

I have not touched my OEM ambers.

My last 3er was steel blue which was purplish and the silver gray is actually more blueish...both great colors!

#14 ·
FenPhen said:
How did you recognize the Pilots? :)

(Actually, I believe the recommended break-in procedure in the manual mentioned the tires, but I forgot how many hundreds of miles it said before the tread wears enough to be fully effective.)
IIRC, I heard/read 500 miles somewhere.

Nice pics, awesome car. :thumbup:

#16 ·
wingspan said:
Very nice ride!

NO :) :thumbup:

#17 ·
FenPhen said:
Wooo! Okay, so I know some people are getting tired of seeing Silver Gray and Silver Gray ZHPs, but to those people I say you can't get enough. :p

I took delivery Thursday night after ordering mid-January. As others have reported, this car is a blast. I'm not fully comfortable with the drive yet, ending a 4-year hiatus from a stick and being hyper-sensitive to anything that might harm my baby. :eeps: Still, I can't wait to work on my shifting skills and break the car in.

I ordered a relative stripper, opting for just xenons, PDC, and the aux audio jack. The latter combined with the flashlight power adapter works great with an MP3 player and inline remote (see iRiver).
Emailed Rick and haven't heard from him for over a week....is he blowing me off, or should I just call him? I'm asking about the alarm for the car

#18 ·
FenPhen said:
Well, I've only had the car a few days, but I think I'll probably leave in the stock ambers. :)
Great looking car!! I wish I had one. :eeps:

I still have my ambers as well. I would like to change them but I keep thinking about all of the other things that I could do with the money they want for the facelifted lights (another de, an entire season of auto-x, etc.)

greginaz1 said:
I have not touched my OEM ambers.

My last 3er was steel blue which was purplish and the silver gray is actually more blueish...both great colors!
My other e46 was Steel Blue also. I had clears on it and it made the blue look even better than with the stock ambers.

#19 ·
KU Ned said:
:
but I keep thinking about all of the other things that I could do with the money

Clears were on my agenda too 'til I ran across that same thought process. Couldn't justify the cost IMO.

#20 ·
wingspan said:
Very nice ride!

3?

#21 ·
hugh1850 said:
4 :D

SG here too. I thought about the clears but, for about the same $, bought the M3 strut bar and the manual rear sunshade instead.

#22 · (Edited)
I just wanted to say: very nice ZHP! Let's hear it for SGM, it rocks! I had several color choices on my list when I went to hunt for my car; can I just say I'm so glad the only one I found set up exactly the way I wanted (I'm not one for waiting around) was SGM! I've seen many other colors on new e46's on the road and while many are nice, there are none I would rather have!

wingspan said:
As for this opinion, I respectfully disagree... I rather like the clear lenses on the SGM. Especially with the bright silver color of the rims, and little details like the Titanium finish interior on mine (after all with the top down you have to think about cooridinating the outside with the inside!). I plan to eventually get an M-Tech bumper and hope to eliminate those amber reflectors on the front corners somehow when I do.

Of course I have to express this opinon, since mine came with clears anyway! :D

Here's a couple quick snapshots of mine... I don't especially like these shots, the wide angle lens makes my car look round and fat! Also it's right next to my building which is painted bright red; it makes the SGM look kinda funky. I'm getting a new camera soon and plan to take some decent pix then.

Attachments

#23 ·
JonathanIT said:
As for this opinion, I respectfully disagree... I rather like the clear lenses on the SGM. Especially with the bright silver color of the rims, and little details like the Titanium finish interior on mine (after all with the top down you have to think about cooridinating the outside with the inside!). I plan to eventually get an M-Tech bumper and hope to eliminate those amber reflectors on the front corners somehow when I do.
For the coupe-style taillights, I definitely prefer clears. :thumbup: For the sedan-style taillights, I'm not sure yet, but at least do not dislike ambers.

Also it's right next to my building which is painted bright red; it makes the SGM look kinda funky.
Well, as a side effect, the building nicely shows off SG's chameleon nature.

#26 ·
Congrats FenPhen! Car looks GREAT. I know I don't get tired of seeing pics of the SG ZHPs. I hope others don't because I'll be posting pics of my SG ZHP coupe in a month and a half.

As for the ambers on the sedan, I think that both clears and ambers look good. I think which I like better depends on the color of the car. I think I prefer the ambers on the SG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.