Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 04:43 PM
That Reckless BMW Driver

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy540i.com
Mein Auto: BMW/Ferrari/Ducati/Lambo
Why does the M3 Driver do that?

It's really not a big deal but I think I'll just bring this up.

It's Sunday 3:00 PM in Southern California, I decide to take my 360 for a spin.

On a mild traffic light stop, I get myself in the #1 lane (slow lane), and notice there’s a silver BMW M3 convertible (current E46 model) w/ 3 guys in it on #2 lane. I did not pay attention to the car nor the people in it, just sipping my coffee.

However, when the traffic moves along, I was doing about 50mph (still on the slow lane). The M3 was far behind due to the mild traffic. I noticed that M3 gunned the throttle and moved behind me. And all in the sudden, it's like he is going to rear-end my 360 on purpose. Of course when he gets close to my rear end, the driver merges to #2 lane than cut off to my lane and fled. I would assume he was going at least 110mph when he was far ahead of me.

I didn't slow down when the M3 passed by, just kept speed. I did down-shift a gear and slow down a bit after the M3 passed by to watch his success cutting off a Ferrari.

Man if I was in my 540i, I might have gunned and eat that thing for lunch. I just don't have the mood for that car while driving the Ferrari.

The Question is, what makes that M3 to do that? To show that he is outran the Ferrari? Or just simply to "REPRESENT"?

I would just drive normal and compliment the car if I were him, it would easy since he drives a convertible and my window was down.... and I would give M3 driver a smile or a thumbs up.

Like I said, this is really not a big deal, just a bit odd, please no negative comments, I was just wondering about the M3 driver's motivation.

Your comments?

Last edited by Jimmy540i.com; 04-11-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-11-2004, 04:59 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Too many of those guys feel the need to compensate for something I guess...

I get that alot out near me too... "oooh wow... an M3 kicked my 330's butt... "

anyhow... lots of people like that...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 04-11-2004, 05:16 PM
stop staring at me swan

Mein Auto: E90 335
I guess they are just jealous and had no other way to show it
Old 04-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy540i.com
The Question is, what makes that M3 to do that? To show that he is outran the Ferrari? Or just simply to "REPRESENT"?
That's a really good question. To give you a good answer I will need to borrow said Ferrari for some in-depth research. 6 months should be enough

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"
Old 04-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:

Your comments?
Same happened to me by a blacked out 330CIC - 'cause the guys was a bozo I guess. Its happened to me by r1cer Honda's, hulking SUV the size of Montana. about some people I guess, sad

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
Quote:

Your comments?

oh the irony ...

is that why they named it a 360

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 04-11-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm all out of bubblegum

Mein Auto: '03 325i Sedan
A guy driving a 360 is complaining about someone else being a show-off?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:28 PM
That Reckless BMW Driver

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy540i.com
Mein Auto: BMW/Ferrari/Ducati/Lambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamZ4
oh the irony ...

yeah I was thinking taking my 540 for a 1.5 spin
Old 04-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
Quote:
yeah I was thinking taking my 540 for a 1.5 spin

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 04-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamZ4
oh the irony ...

Old 04-11-2004, 11:35 PM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Your comments?
Two possibilities immediately come to mind:

1.) The M3 did not care at all what you were in and just wanted to break out of the traffic pack, albeit in a jerk fashion.

2.) Standard male posturing, probably the same reason you even brought this all up. The part of you that said this:
Quote:
Man if I was in my 540i, I might have gunned and eat that thing for lunch.
...is probably the same thing that motivated the M3 driver. That is, trying to assert domination. If this is the case, this thread suggests he was successful.

Quote:
I would just drive normal and compliment the car if I were him, it would easy since he drives a convertible and my window was down.... and I would give M3 driver a smile or a thumbs up.
Why do you need his approval? It seems to me like the point of this thread is you're seeking approval from other Bimmerfest members, and also asserting that you could've dominated the other guy if you were so inclined.

I'm not trying to attack you and hope I didn't offend, but I think you should just let the incident go. Jerks do what they do because they're jerks.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 04-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Jimmy, you are so cool.

Does your 360 have cupholders?

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Available for enduros!

Mein Auto: Street: Porsche 996
Quote:
Why do you need his approval? It seems to me like the point of this thread is you're seeking approval from other Bimmerfest members, and also asserting that you could've dominated the other guy if you were so inclined.

I'm not trying to attack you and hope I didn't offend, but I think you should just let the incident go. Jerks do what they do because they're jerks.
Exactly. If this had happened to me, the whole incident wouldn't have even rated an upfront spot in my memory. I would just shake my head and move on.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:16 AM
blah

Mein Auto: 03 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
Jimmy, you are so cool.

Does your 360 have cupholders?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Riuster = Rooster

Send a message via Skype™ to Riuster
Mein Auto: 02 M3, 07 X3 and 04 TSX
Quote:
It's really not a big deal but I think I'll just bring this up.

On a mild traffic light stop, I get myself in the #1 lane (slow lane), and notice there’s a silver BMW M3 convertible (current E46 model) w/ 3 guys in it on #2 lane. I did not pay attention to the car nor the people in it, just sipping my coffee.

However, when the traffic moves along, I was doing about 50mph (still on the slow lane). The M3 was far behind due to the mild traffic. I noticed that M3 gunned the throttle and moved behind me. And all in the sudden, it's like he is going to rear-end my 360 on purpose. Of course when he gets close to my rear end, the driver merges to #2 lane than cut off to my lane and fled. I would assume he was going at least 110mph when he was far ahead of me.

I didn't slow down when the M3 passed by, just kept speed. I did down-shift a gear and slow down a bit after the M3 passed by to watch his success cutting off a Ferrari.

Man if I was in my 540i, I might have gunned and eat that thing for lunch. I just don't have the mood for that car while driving the Ferrari.

Like I said, this is really not a big deal, just a bit odd, please no negative comments, I was just wondering about the M3 driver's motivation.

Your comments?
Cause he is just a BIG D I C K, he envies what he doesnt have, Hey I wouldnt do that, I would leave you at peace, any type of accidents may increase our insurance rates...NOW who wants that.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcan325i
A guy driving a 360 is complaining about someone else being a show-off?
Are you implying that everybody who is fortunate enough to own a Ferrari is a show-off?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Riuster = Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenPhen
Two possibilities immediately come to mind:

1.) The M3 did not care at all what you were in and just wanted to break out of the traffic pack, albeit in a jerk fashion.

2.) Standard male posturing, probably the same reason you even brought this all up. The part of you that said this:

...is probably the same thing that motivated the M3 driver. That is, trying to assert domination. If this is the case, this thread suggests he was successful.

he is not asking for our approval, he just wants to know what others are thinking....sometimes you CANT LET IT GO, cause they are just in your FACE and UP YOUR ARSE, He is the victim here, If I had nice rockets in my car..i may just blow that M3 away..literally...hahaha...FIRE!!!!..sWOOOOSHH..BO OMMM!!!..hahahah

man..I need an exotic...soon....perhaps an Aston Martin, right O Chap!!....no offense..just ferraris are just not my style, but nice car!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Ripening slushbox drifter

Send a message via AIM to jk330i
Mein Auto: 2002 330i OB
jimmy he was just jealous you had a nice car. Its kind of like a r1ced up Civic cutting off an m3, so that m3 guy was so pissed he had to cut off a Ferrari... makes sense
Old 04-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
So let me get this straight.

If you were in a big heavy sedan you would have shown this guy whats what...but when you are in a Ferrari, built specifically to go fast, you wont?

Not sure what statement you are making but I am lost on the logic.

Photobucket
Old 04-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Powered by Honda
Maybe he was catching up to buy some of those halogen bulbs that are dipped in blue goo.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Needs more cowbell

Send a message via AIM to WileECoyote
Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
So let me get this straight.

If you were in a big heavy sedan you would have shown this guy whats what...but when you are in a Ferrari, built specifically to go fast, you wont?

Not sure what statement you are making but I am lost on the logic.

I thought that was most of the reason for owning a Ferrari

However, if traffic was moderate or heavy, I can definitely understand the need to not out a-hole the a-hole...
Old 04-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk330i
jimmy he was just jealous you had a nice car. Its kind of like a r1ced up Civic cutting off an m3, so that m3 guy was so pissed he had to cut off a Ferrari... makes sense
I dont know why..the M3 owner would be jealous..I wouldnt be jealous....the m3 is just in a class that is very different....the ferrari is really an impratical car...great for cruising along and track, but as it comes to praticality with Sports Capability, the M3 is so much better, and with 3 extra seats for friends and family its very pratical, and a nice big trunk space. A M3 with nice fat tires, looks so chubby and fatty....like a little toy.

You give me a choice of a Ferrari 360 and a M3.....Ill take the E46 M3 modified with my goodies over the Ferrari 360...not the ENZO!...and Dont make the choice an Aston, either...thats a different story...ya hear!

BTW, the owner of that M3 is just a PUNK and you know he belongs with the other punks who drives their WRX and EVO cars like a bat out of hell, they are just punks...its not the car, its the PUNK BUTT DRIVERS!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Ripening slushbox drifter

Send a message via AIM to jk330i
Mein Auto: 2002 330i OB
^ I'd take the M5 over the m3 anyday
Old 04-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Joker
Maybe he was catching up to buy some of those halogen bulbs that are dipped in blue goo.
ROFL.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60
I have yet see a cup holder in a 360. Where do you place the coffee when you shift?
Unless you place the coffee in the void between your legs I'm lost

Please...... please..... please tell me you didn't buy one of those plastic cupholders you hook on the windows sill when you took your 360 to the local car wash.
2006 997 Carrera S Cab. 6 sp. Sport Chrono Artic Silver / Black (Sold)
2001 LX470 (Lexus) Mystic Sea Opalescent / Grey (Sold)
2004 330i 6 sp. ZHP Silver Grey / Natural Brown (Sold)
2001 330i 5 sp. SP Titanium / Tanin (Sold)

Last edited by Tanin; 04-12-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Closed Thread