Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2011 (F25) XDrive 28i
Exclamation "P" switch on shifter

Hello,

I am a proud owner of a new X3 F25 28i.
A novelty for me: I notice that you can engage the car in "Parking" by pressing the "P" switch on top of the shifter.
I did so while the car was rolling slowly in my garage and it immediately put the car to an abrupt stop, as if the gearbox was suddenly locked. This stop is totally different from a braking action as it is quite brutal; Basically, the gears are suddenly locked.

My question is this: what would happen if the P switch is accidentally depressed while the car is cruising, say while driving at 55mph on the freeway? Would this immediately lock the gearbox and have catastrophic mechanical consequences or does the gearbox software deactivate the P switch when the car goes above a set speed (say 1mph for example)?

Obviously, this is something I would not dare trying on my new car...
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Hi, I am glad the "P" button is no where near the shifter. At least you have to lift up on the button to engage the park.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael T View Post
Hi, I am glad the "P" button is no where near the shifter. At least you have to lift up on the button to engage the park.
Sorry, I don't undertsand your comment. Do we drive the same car?
The "P" button is ON TOP of the shifter.. And you dont need to lift it. You just press it with your thumb while holding the shifter... See attached file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030183 (Small).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	298313  

Last edited by euclidX3; 10-23-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
One is the electric parking brake and the other is the mechanical "Park" position for an automatic transmission perhaps?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by euclidX3 View Post
Hello,

I am a proud owner of a new X3 F25 28i.
A novelty for me: I notice that you can engage the car in "Parking" by pressing the "P" switch on top of the shifter.
I did so while the car was rolling slowly in my garage and it immediately put the car to an abrupt stop, as if the gearbox was suddenly locked. This stop is totally different from a braking action as it is quite brutal; Basically, the gears are suddenly locked.

My question is this: what would happen if the P switch is accidentally depressed while the car is cruising, say while driving at 55mph on the freeway? Would this immediately lock the gearbox and have catastrophic mechanical consequences or does the gearbox software deactivate the P switch when the car goes above a set speed (say 1mph for example)?

Obviously, this is something I would not dare trying on my new car...
I beleive the park button does not work if you are going above a certain speed.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Eeek

OK challenge time, I knew *exactly* what you meant when you posed the question, I've been thinking this for some time.

I just screwed up my eyes and tried at 30mph, nothing :-)

Then I tried 25mph, nothing ...

Any other takes for 20mph? Lower? :-)

I know it was highly unlikely it would kick in at that point, but nervous nonetheless ...

J
Old 10-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up

Hello jgroarke,

I thought the BMW engineers would have thought of such a possibility and would have deactivated the P switch above a certain speed... but to actually test it on one's own car...!

Hats off for you!!

You solved a mystery!

All my best!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
[P]ark above the shift should not engage unless brake is depressed and speed is 0. At least I hope that's how it's designed.
Auto Hold is for stop and go situation and that would come to abrupt stop if you are going slowly.

So did you press the ((P)) button?

What happens if ((P))arking brake button is on, and you hit the accelerator? Does the car engine rev but don't move, or moving and dragging the brake, or Parking brake will be disabled?

Last edited by fb88; 10-24-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyao88 View Post
[P]ark above the shift should not engage unless brake is depressed and speed is 0. At least I hope that's how it's designed.
Auto Hold is for stop and go situation and that would come to abrupt stop if you are going slowly.

So did you press the ((P)) button?

What happens if ((P))arking brake button is on, and you hit the accelerator? Does the car engine rev but don't move, or moving and dragging the brake, or Parking brake will be disabled?
Hi Pyao88

The Auto Hold feature is a no brainer. If the Parking brake is on and you hit the accelerator, the brake disengage and the car moves. Once you come to a complete stop to speed 0 (like in traffic or at a red light for instance), the brake automatically engages again, until you hit the accelerator pedal again. Personally I do not really like this feature, so I always disengage the Auto-Hold feature.

However, my original question is about the [P]ark switch above shifter, not Hold brake (see attached picture below).
And to answer your first sentence, I do confirm that [P]ark above shifter DOES engage when the vehicule is rolling and brake pedal is NOT depressed. So the car stops in a very abrupt way...That is why I started this thread originally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030183 (Small).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	298445  

Last edited by euclidX3; 10-24-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Under 5mph it stops.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198235
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...idding-me.html

Can you confirm if opening door while under 5mph would also come to an abrupt stop?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyao88 View Post
Under 5mph it stops.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198235
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...idding-me.html

Can you confirm if opening door while under 5mph would also come to an abrupt stop?
Hello pyao88,
Thx for sharing the links. Interesting really!
I tried opening the driver door while the car was rolling. It indeed slammed the car to [P]... Wonder what would happen if any of the other doors were opened under these conditions... Will test it and will update.
Cheers!